Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I live in the maritimes and there's plenty of Canadian flags on buildings and homes :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
In 30 years of living in Nova Scotia I have never been in a private residence with a Canadian flag out front.

bubblebee
Jan 6, 2014

Melchiresa posted:

My [24F] boyfriend [26M] asked me to go to a wedding today for a barely friend of his instead of celebrating our 5 year anniversary.

This post has new updates.

UPDATE: I decided I would go to the wedding. We are currently at the reception and my BF is no where to be seen. He's been less than interested in conversation with me so he disappeared about 15 minutes ago.

UPDATE 2: I saw him run off with some girl I don't know into one of the hallways. I'm thinking of taking the car keys and leaving him to find his own way home.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

bubblebee posted:

UPDATE: I decided I would go to the wedding. We are currently at the reception and my BF is no where to be seen. He's been less than interested in conversation with me so he disappeared about 15 minutes ago.

UPDATE 2: I saw him run off with some girl I don't know into one of the hallways. I'm thinking of taking the car keys and leaving him to find his own way home.

I hope she quit thinking and actually did it. Her (hopefully ex) boyfriend is loving delusional.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bubblebee posted:

LOL. He wanted to go to the wedding to hook up with someone else.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Khorne posted:

The 28 y/o man Pick post was excellent and one of the best posts Pick has made in this thread. It still amuses me because it accurately describes a whole lot of people in r/relationships, man and woman alike.

I think Pick's post exchange with that other poster who's name I can't remember (sorry) about starting a poly relationship and having children with different people that they raise together are the best posts in this entire thread.

remigious posted:

Pick is a goddamn saint and I'm sorry if she sounds like a "downer." Maybe men should stop being garbage.

Seriously, this. Pick has her issues but she is 100% a treasure.

Tolkien minority posted:

look guys i specifically said dont start a derail yall should shut the gently caress up and not get the best thread in gbs closed

This is not the best thread in GBS. The best thread in GBS is the stickied recreate famous photos, no photoshop thread. :colbert:

quote:

:911:

Yeah, America is loving crazy sometimes a lot.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Facebook Aunt posted:

This one is strange. That seems like the behavior of a drug addict or a teenager, not a 29 year old mother.

Together since college, married at 22...mom's probably having an identity crisis.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

zakharov posted:

The thread's going to get closed if y'all don't knock this off.

Have a terrible husband!

Husband [26m] is upset with me [23f] because of all the "unnecessary" attention I give to our babies [8 month old trips]? Trying to understand him...

"Feeding our babies? YOU'LL SPOIL THEM"

Sorry, lady, but you have 4 babbys, not 3.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

quote:

My [13M] parents (aka dad) named me after a Marvel Superhero. How do I stop the iron man jokes?

Hi, so my name is Tony Stark. I wish I was joking

I get so much poo poo for my name. I have no idea why mom allowed it. I can only assume she never heard of Iron Man. She seemed really surprised when she found out Iron Man and I share a name. My brothers and sisters give me poo poo for my name. My friends give me a hard time for my man.

"Hey Tony, where's thor?" "You going to assemble the Avengers Iron Man?" then you have the time people don't believe me when I tell them my name. I need to show them my passport. Every day I get an Iron Man joke. I wish I was kidding.

It actually does not help that my best friend is black. Cedric, My brothers keep asking me where Rhodey is. Or how's rhodey after his accident.

How do I stop the Iron Man Jokes?

tl;dr: How do I stop the iron man jokes

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't make all the movies, that's just bad luck

who'd have thought they would have picked Iron Man as their main movie?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Caesar Saladin posted:

it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't make all the movies, that's just bad luck

who'd have thought they would have picked Iron Man as their main movie?

Ultimate troll dad maneuver: offer to get him a legal name change, but alter the form so it says Ned instead.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I wonder if Kevin Smith's daughter, Harley Quinn Smith, gets the same poo poo.

Manticorny
Sep 7, 2016

It's a sad and beautiful world.

Charles Get-Out posted:

people are too busy making fun of her dad's jorts to make fun of her dumb name

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Dogfish posted:

Guess you're not part of that wide overlap, then. Congratulations on being a good person! I hope your wife's scary ex isn't still threatening you guys.

It took several moves and changes of phone number, but we're good now. Can't even find the baseball bat! Oops.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's shameful that he didn't name his daughter Harleen Quinzel, since that's the character's real name and is still recognizable enough to dorks without being immediately on everyone's radar. Not to mention that Harleen was a respectable professional with noble goals while Harley is usually the abused girlfriend with a side of fanwank. The best part is, you could still call her Harley. Kevin Smith is the worst nerd.

I don't think people put much thought into the terrible names they give their children. Sure, pick a terrible name, but do it well.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Going to name my first born male Sue

See how that works out

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jel Shaker posted:

See how that works out

...whoops, turns out he killed himself in highschool.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jel Shaker posted:

See how that works out

His fists will be hard and his wits will be keen.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Jel Shaker posted:

See how that works out

I knew a guy named Hsu, we played 40K occasionally at a game store. He was a fan of the song.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

quote:

Me [23 M] caught off guard from her sarcasm [19 F], how to recover?

I asked a girl to do a user study on my school project and give feedback on our college campus. Since I'm used to hearing constructive criticism, I'm accustomed to concrete words on how to make it better and stuff. Shortly after we started, she was being fairly sarcastic about stuff in my project. Stupid me mentioned how I thought she was being serious and she said something along the lines of how she would stop the sarcasm. It completely caught me off guard because she hadn't really been sarcastic to me in the past. I felt like I missed a good opportunity to be playful and fun.

However, I would say the rest of the "date" went quite well. She had brought a rubik's cube, which we both like solving and she laughed so much while I was teaching her a new way to do it. This lasted about 45 minutes. Did a lot of playing with her hair and stuff while we were talking. I did feel a slight sense of she was done towards the end of it though, and she didn't reply to my Snapchat the next day.

In addition, a man stopped me on our way out and I introduced her to him as my "friend". Was that bad? I mean obviously she is my friend but yeah.
We are both the same major (computer science), nerds, musicians, obviously have a lot in common.

What should I do to recover from this situation? Is it as easy as being sarcastic myself to show her that I get sarcasm? Or maybe something else?
tl;dr: If a girl tried being sarcastic and stopped because I didn't really pick up on it, how do I recover?

edit: another one along the same lines. how many of these idiots are there

quote:

I [27/M] think I hosed it up with a friend [22/F], what can I do to salvage it?

So I know this girl since May. We're pretty good friends, we hang out every once in a while together, and talk to each other on a weekly basis.
Anyways, this Saturday night she agreed to hang out with me. I picked her up and we went to a party together. I wasn't feeling it since it wasn't as poppin as I hope it was. But I tried to enjoy myself.

Whenever I'm bored, nervous, or just want to escape, I mindlessly scroll my Facebook feed. It's like a nervous tick almost. I did that the entire time.
Towards the end, it was 2:30 and I just wanted to get back home. I kinda kept pushing the issue of rolling out. Not in an aggressive rear end in a top hat way, but more of like.. Whenever there was a lul, I'd sometimes be like "So uhmm. Yea, I kinda wanted to get going."

We eventually left. I was nervously checking my FB feed while at a redlight. I thought my foot was all the way on the break, but I guess not since I almost softly rear-ended someone.

I dropped her off. And she said "It was good chillin. See you soon." (probably didn't mean it, probably was just being polite.) I started nervously checking my FB feed again, and said "You too." And then she ogt out and didn't give me a hug like last time.

I then felt so bummed out for completly bombing this date. Women never agree to hang out with me one on one seeing I have a hard time developing close connections especially with women.

So whenever I drove her back home, I just went 90 down the free way without a seatbelt, I kinda was hoping I would kill myself. But I guess it didn't happen. I really want to somehow salvage it with this girl.

TL;DR: Hung out with female friend. She left without giving me a hug. I think I bombed it for seeming bored/uninterested. But I really do like her. What should I do?

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 30, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
r/relationships: hoped I would kill myself, but I guess I didn't

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

bubblebee posted:

:smith: this breaks my heart, not gonna lie

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

corn on the cop posted:

My [13M] parents (aka dad) named me after a Marvel Superhero. How do I stop the iron man jokes?

Hi, so my name is Tony Stark. I wish I was joking

I get so much poo poo for my name. I have no idea why mom allowed it. I can only assume she never heard of Iron Man. She seemed really surprised when she found out Iron Man and I share a name. My brothers and sisters give me poo poo for my name. My friends give me a hard time for my man.

"Hey Tony, where's thor?" "You going to assemble the Avengers Iron Man?" then you have the time people don't believe me when I tell them my name. I need to show them my passport. Every day I get an Iron Man joke. I wish I was kidding.

It actually does not help that my best friend is black. Cedric, My brothers keep asking me where Rhodey is. Or how's rhodey after his accident.

How do I stop the Iron Man Jokes?

tl;dr: How do I stop the iron man jokes

:laffo: there's someone in the pregnant subreddit whose husband wants to name their soon to be born son Bruce Wayne and she doesn't like it, everyone else is chiming in and saying it's awful. I think I'll show her this if her husband needs any more convincing.

Dogfish posted:

Oh yeah the prairies. I always forget about the prairies, which are so culturally dissimilar to the parts of Canada on either end that nothing I can say about the rest of Canada applies to them.

Maybe I'm just not noticing them, but I would bet good money that there isn't a single Canadian flag anywhere in my neighbourhood. I'll look out for them over the next couple days and see if I've just been ignoring them. But on the other hand I've had the experience a couple of times of passing a house with a Canadian flag out front and thinking, "Huh, that's weird. Wonder if it's an embassy or something." I would be weirded out if I went to someone's house and they had a flag outside.

I was at my parents and looked out the window to see this tattered, awful Canadian flag just moving so pathetically in the wind. I'm not crazy patriotic or anything but I still started venting about how disrespectful it was for their neighbors to have let their flag get to that state and afterwards my dad had to sheepishly tell me it was theirs and he hadn't gotten around to changing it yet.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 30, 2016

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

i say all this as a person with an active tumblr who unironically said 'heteronormative' this morning.

Gross

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gluten Freeman posted:

edit: another one along the same lines. how many of these idiots are there

I was kind of a sadbrained idiot about dating in college too but I can say with pride that I never had to crowdsource babby's first dating decisions to the Internet. Do they like not have actual friends they can vent their anxiety to or what?

Dogfish posted:

Oh yeah the prairies. I always forget about the prairies, which are so culturally dissimilar to the parts of Canada on either end that nothing I can say about the rest of Canada applies to them.

I love when people say poo poo like this in the same conversation as they apparently forget that "red states" and "blue states" are a thing

Guess what, the Midwest is culturally not much like California or the Northeast either :wth:

I have met a total of one gun owner in my entire life (they lived in New Hampshire)

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My boyfriends (31m) son (10m) is terrible

quote:

TL:DR what is the best way to talk to my bf about his son intentionally causing drama and fights in the house? What's the best way to handle the situation, and act, when his son interupts me talking or blocks hugs between my bf and i?
My boyfriend and I (29F) recently moved in together. He only has his son over the weekend, where he spends the night. I also have a son (3) who lives with me full time except sometimes he sleeps over at his dads.
Anyway, I used to really like my bfs son. He had a quick wit. Funny kid. I never thought him and I ever had any problems.. but I kept hearing my bfs family talk about his son, and how his son needs therapy. I thought they were just being a little harsh. Kid seemed fine to me.
But now I am seeing they were right, this kid is terrible and I dont even like him around me anymore. Hes never openly bad.. but hes manipulative and intentionally tries to stir up drama. And lies!
Example:
I woke up early one morning and got coffee going for my boyfriend and did some dishes to surprise him and went back to bed. Later in the day, after my bf dropped his son off at home he boasted about how his son made him coffee and did the dishes this morning, what a great kid!
In the past, his son would randomly tell me stories about his dad. Tell me how he was talking on the phone all night with someone, tell me hes out with a woman (which he was.. but he was out with his sister..)
He also gets my toddler and my roommates toddler (4) all riled up and than tell on them so they get in trouble constantly to the point I have to keep the kids separate from his son..
His son recently got in trouble as well for punching a 2nd grader in the face, claiming self defense.
And the big one happened last week, where (I THINK) my bf finally saw what his son is doing..
They were downstairs watching tv and my bf needed his charger, so he sent his kid up to my room to ask me for it. His son asks for the "pink charger". What pink charger? I don't have a pink charger.. his kid says "okay" and leaves very quickly. After some time passed, I sent my bf a text asking about what pink charger? He replies "my phone charger. It's not pink.. just give it to (my son) jesus" and his son appeared again. I gave him the charger and replied to my bf with "what's with the aggression?" No reply.
I start heading downstairs and see the charger on the stairs. I pick it up and go down and hand it to my bf and ask him what's going on. He got snippy with me and grabbed it from me. It took a few moments of bickering (in front of his son) for the whole story to come out.
His son told my bf I wouldn't give him the charger, than left the charger on the stairs and told my bf I told him to say to quit being lazy and go get it yourself.
He reprimanded his son (more gently than I would have) and was hugging and rustling his hair as he did it.
His son is staying with us again tonight, I'm at work and dont even want to go home.. idk how to talk to my bf about this. Its at a point that I DREAD the weekend. I'm just in a bad mood knowing hes coming over.. and my bf notices, asks me why im always "in a mood" when his son comes over. Why we always fight when he has his son ect. How can he not SEE that his SON is starting all of these fights between us? I get putting your child first.. but this is too much.
My bf tries to be nice when I get home ask how my day was, hug me.. but when his son is there I cant even get a word in because his son likes to pretend like his dad is talking to.him.
"My day was okay, thank dad" (long hug) and than they start talking and im left just standing there. Like my bf totally forgot about me.
He wants us to eventually have his son full time.. and if this is how it's gonna be, no way. I cant live with that at all.
But how can I talk to my boyfriend about this, without sounding.. silly? I don't want him to think I'm jealous of a child.. and its not jealousy (I don't think) I just dont like being tossed aside like that, and his son interrupting like that bothers me.
EDIT: I'm not going to change what I wrote, but I want to add.. hes not a terrible kid. That was out of line of me. I'm just stressed out and upset. Hes a good kid, I just dont trust him (and can't due to the examples above). I can understand everything commenters have said.. and i respect that. Which is why we made a space for just them in the basement. A mini apartment to mimic life before my bf moved in with me to make things easier on his son.. but its not helping, and it's slowly getting worse as time goes on.

She also posted My (29F) boyfriends (31M) family think I am a hardcore drug addict... but it's been deleted. So we have one single mother with a child and a roommate who also has a child, who's invited her boyfriend (with the manipulative child) to live with her. This will surely turn out great.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
What do you get when a woman invites her boyfriend to live with her roommate...and her daughter...and her roommates daughter...and he brings along his 10 year old son?

Wackiness!

FULLEST APARTMENT, 8:30/7:30 C, right after an all new Last Man Standing, Friday on ABC!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mameluke posted:

My boyfriends (31m) son (10m) is terrible

She also posted My (29F) boyfriends (31M) family think I am a hardcore drug addict... but it's been deleted. So we have one single mother with a child and a roommate who also has a child, who's invited her boyfriend (with the manipulative child) to live with her. This will surely turn out great.

I can't loving believe the communication breakdown here. All she had to say was "your son specifically asked for a pink charger, I wondered what pink one, and then he told you I wouldn't give it." Like. It's not silly, it's insane. The guys son is insane. Or worse

His attitude obviously doesn't help "Jesus just hand it over"

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my (26f) fiancé (32m) togheter 5 years spanked a girl at a Halloween party last night. She did not like and when he was asked to explain himself he said "she was asking for it with her costume."

quote:

so really short version is, we went to a Halloween part at a private house last night. It was a very mixed young business person//college and maybe even some high schooler types snuck in. It was EXTREMELY rowdy and most everyone was drunk (or more). Most of the girls were dressed as skimpy as possible (I think there were at least 5 Harley Quinns--as an example).

My fiancé rarely ever drinks so he was pretty wasted. As the party was slowly winding down I see him eyeing a college girl (at least I hope she wasn't one if the HS girls that snuck in) dressed like a witch but with garter belt and stockings and more than half of her butt hanging below the hem of her costume.

Like in slow motion I see him reach out and smack her on her bare butt. He hit her pretty hard because she jumped and started crying and took off upstairs. I rushed over and asked him what the gently caress and trying to prevent him from getting killed by all the guys. When I asked him what he was thinking he said "are you kidding me, she was asking for it with her rear end hanging out like that."

Asking for it..,he actually had the loving balls to say she was asking for it. I turned in disgust and honestly didn't care if he got his rear end kicked, grabbed my friend and walked to her house.
Fiancé was apparently able to talk himself out of getting killed and He texted me that he made it home via Lyft and this gem "you should dress up like that witch for me!"

To me, pretty hung over and still livid and feeling horrible for that poor girl (I should have tried to find her but it didn't occur to me) this should be a deal breaker. But this is so out of character for him...maybe a second chance if he promises to never do it ANYTHING resembling this?

tl;dr: Fiancé spanked a girl at a Halloween party and when asked to explain why he said she was asking for it by wearing her costume. This should be a deal breaker but it's very out of character for him and I don't know how to handle it.

lmao he's a raper

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Frog Act posted:

my (26f) fiancé (32m) togheter 5 years spanked a girl at a Halloween party last night. She did not like and when he was asked to explain himself he said "she was asking for it with her costume."

lmao he's a raper

gently caress it, call the cops on him.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Frog Act posted:

lmao he's a raper

jfc

Chichevache posted:

call the cops on him.

:agreed:

Manticorny
Sep 7, 2016

Chichevache posted:

gently caress it, call the cops on him.

yeah, it's not like they have real problems to deal with

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Manticorny posted:

yeah, it's not like they have real problems to deal with

You're right, sexual assault isn't a real problem. :jerkbag:

Manticorny
Sep 7, 2016

Chichevache posted:

You're right, sexual assault isn't a real problem. :jerkbag:

You're right, smacking someone on the rear end is sexual assault. :jerkbag:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah i'd regard that as sexual assault. id definitely dump anyone who went around violating people like that, seems like a no brainer

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Manticorny posted:

yes....?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Manticorny posted:

Yeah, all the guys wanted to kick his rear end because what he did wasn't ok at all.

It's the same reason people are upset by "grab'em by the pussy". This poo poo ain't cool.

Edit
Literally the only way that wasn't sexual assault is if the woman really did ask for it, which she pretty clearly did not.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
I have an overwhelming need to tell you all about my extremely narrow definition of sexual harassment

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

im the sherlock holmes of determining just how violated a woman feels by literal grabass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Manticorny posted:

You suck.