Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Mike DeBord still being a coach at a non MAC school is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

an adult beverage posted:

Does Tennessee dump Butch and hop back on the carousel for the 4th time in the past 8 years?

They should. Kiffin would be good at a mid level P5 school where they'll be happy with good recruiting making them decent - meaning he can be Greg Schiano.

Rich Rodriguez is going to start generating speculation, although I imagine they give him another year.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If Tennessee fans could go back in time, would they fire Fulmer again?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If Tennessee fans could go back in time, would they fire Fulmer again?

A change needed to happen but knowing what I know now, no, probably not.

Just like now a change needs to happen but I'm not sure it's Butch. Definitely DeBord. I'll wait and see what happens the rest of the season before I'm ready to call it quits on Butch.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Kim Jong Il posted:

They should. Kiffin would be good at a mid level P5 school where they'll be happy with good recruiting making them decent - meaning he can be Greg Schiano.

Rich Rodriguez is going to start generating speculation, although I imagine they give him another year.

Come home RichRod we forgive you, deliver us from exposed fraud of offense dana holgorsen!
:goonsay:

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/792738444137078784

If Petrino is moving he should go to the richer UT with weaker rivals on schedule.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but gently caress Clay Travis

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

First, gently caress Clay Travis, but I was wondering where Butch stands -- I assume the current level is will return but officially in danger next year but is it hot enough that any more losses this year could be the end? I know their schedule is so soft that another loss would necessarily be a bad one.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

First, gently caress Clay Travis, but I was wondering where Butch stands -- I assume the current level is will return but officially in danger next year but is it hot enough that any more losses this year could be the end? I know their schedule is so soft that another loss would necessarily be a bad one.

Yeah he'll stick around at least another year unless we drop one to Kentucky or mizzou. Or got forbid Vandy. I don't know if it would be an immediate firing but his seat would heat up considerably.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Lasagna Pilot posted:

https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/792738444137078784

If Petrino is moving he should go to the richer UT with weaker rivals on schedule.

Counterpoint: Petrino should move in front of a speeding pack of 3-ton mopeds.

Also, how likely is Houston's middling season going to affect Herman's marketability?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
What UNLV needs to become decent in the two major sports
1. An AD with a track record of turning around dumpster fires
2. A football HC with college experience and a track record of turning around dumpster fires
3. A basketball HC with a track record of turning around dumpster fires

Instead will just get crony and/or cheap hires and continually wonder why everything is poo poo

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Lessail posted:

Instead will just get crony and/or cheap hires and continually wonder why everything is poo poo

Ah, the Mizzou strategy.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Scarf posted:

Also, how likely is Houston's middling season going to affect Herman's marketability?

It might be hurting his price tag, but he'll still be gone after Thanksgiving.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah he'll stick around at least another year unless we drop one to Kentucky or mizzou. Or got forbid Vandy. I don't know if it would be an immediate firing but his seat would heat up considerably.

I'd agree. It's hard to fire a coach who goes 9-3, even if the expectation was 11-12 wins. It'll be a 9-3 with a number of people thrown under the bus, mind you.

Now with how weak the remaining schedule is, any other L's might be enough for Tennessee to dump him and make a run at P.J. Fleck/Jeff Brohm. I don't think they'd be in the Tom Herman lottery since that seems to be Texas' to lose, but I think Tennessee might be able to outbid LSU and push that they only, well "only", play Bama from the West instead of all of them.

If Tennessee opens up it's the second best job on the market after Texas, imo.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Is it? They turned to Jones after pretty much everyone turned them down, and something similar happened with Dooley. I know Jones has recruited very well, and the east is weak - a good coach would win right away.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kim Jong Il posted:

Is it? They turned to Jones after pretty much everyone turned them down, and something similar happened with Dooley. I know Jones has recruited very well, and the east is weak - a good coach would win right away.

Well that's the difference right? After Kiffin and Dooley UT was a tire fire that had next to zero talent. Coffers are pretty full with talent now so in the hypothetical situation of looking for a new HC, it's an easier sell.

And I don't remember the search for before Butch being that bad. I think our #1 target was Charlie Strong? Or maybe that was the Dooley search, I can't remember. I think the only person to flat out say no was Kirby Smart and I think we dodged a bullet there anyway.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Joey Freshwater posted:

Well that's the difference right? After Kiffin and Dooley UT was a tire fire that had next to zero talent. Coffers are pretty full with talent now so in the hypothetical situation of looking for a new HC, it's an easier sell.

And I don't remember the search for before Butch being that bad. I think our #1 target was Charlie Strong? Or maybe that was the Dooley search, I can't remember. I think the only person to flat out say no was Kirby Smart and I think we dodged a bullet there anyway.

2009 and 2010 saw Tennessee have two top 10 recruiting classes. Hardly "next to zero" talent.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I think one player from the 2009 class finished his eligibility.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

2009 and 2010 saw Tennessee have two top 10 recruiting classes. Hardly "next to zero" talent.

After Dooley there was zero talent. The 2010 class Kiffin pulled in went to poo poo because he was telling them all not to go to class so they could transfer when he left.

The 2009 class two of the top three kids transferred and the third, Jansen Jackson, transferred after a year and had recently been tried for murder.

Yeah we had next to zero talent when Butch got here.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

After Dooley there was zero talent. The 2010 class Kiffin pulled in went to poo poo because he was telling them all not to go to class so they could transfer when he left.

The 2009 class two of the top three kids transferred and the third, Jansen Jackson, transferred after a year and had recently been tried for murder.

Yeah we had next to zero talent when Butch got here.

In 2011 they had a top 12 class, 2012 a top 20. At a school like TCU (or MOST schools), these would be some of the best recruiting classes in school history.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Butch has also somehow been offering like 33 scholarships a year for five years straight it's not like he hasn't had a chance to reload

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it was Dooleys last year (or the year previous) he didn't bother to recruit a single offensive lineman

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Raku posted:

Butch has also somehow been offering like 33 scholarships a year for five years straight it's not like he hasn't had a chance to reload

It's already been said that's what's happened though? There's talent NOW. The conversation is that there wasn't any when he got there.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

When are we going to talk about Bob Shoop as a head coach? He left Penn State to go to Tennessee for one year to build his stock on a 11-12 win team that he could parlay into a head coaching job in the SEC.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Louisville is ranked 5, 0 top 30 recruiting classes. You just can't compete without top 10 classes every year.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee's defense has been pretty bad, although having half the starters out for most games hasn't helped. If Shoop came here to pad his resume, he has failed so far.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'd agree. It's hard to fire a coach who goes 9-3, even if the expectation was 11-12 wins. It'll be a 9-3 with a number of people thrown under the bus, mind you.

Now with how weak the remaining schedule is, any other L's might be enough for Tennessee to dump him and make a run at P.J. Fleck/Jeff Brohm. I don't think they'd be in the Tom Herman lottery since that seems to be Texas' to lose, but I think Tennessee might be able to outbid LSU and push that they only, well "only", play Bama from the West instead of all of them.

If Tennessee opens up it's the second best job on the market after Texas, imo.

Tough call, LSU is a significantly better recruiting location but expectations might be too high there and the schedule is tougher like you say.

Tennessee might be better if the East remains bad for the next 5 years. I think they would need a Petrino though, P.J. Fleck isn't going to walk in there and start going undefeated in the East every year.

Spacebump posted:

Louisville is ranked 5, 0 top 30 recruiting classes. You just can't compete without top 10 classes every year.

They have the best offensive coach in college football and a cheat code QB.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

And needed a miracle to beat UVA

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Spacebump posted:

Yeah man it's super easy just hire all the Bobby Petrino's out there and beat out Florida, Florida State, Texas, and Nebraska for the version of Marcus Mariota that can actually do quarterback things in a not-gimmick offense.

Also just graduate a bunch of pizza chain magnates and sports apparel CEOs

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I would be shocked if Petrino left Louisville again.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I am a Bobby Petrino clone hire me Tennessee

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Spacebump posted:

Right now, CU is balling out while most of our starters are from recruiting classes that were ranked in the 60s.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Is Barry Odom fired yet? Please fire Barry Odom. Thanks

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Recruits matter and good coaching matters more, happy?

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

I would be shocked if Petrino left Louisville again.

I would be shocked if a human being turned his back on Louisville after they took a chance on him when nobody else would but we're talking about Bobby Petrino, not a human being.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/794965462123708421

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/795049827885162497

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

John Harbaugh?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I mean, the only coaches in the nation who are pretty much guaranteed to get you titles would be Saban and Meyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kayakyakr posted:

I mean, the only coaches in the nation who are pretty much guaranteed to get you titles would be Saban and Meyer.

And I'd imagine Ohio State or Bama would do whatever it took to keep them, even if it is some huge amount of cash.

So if you take those two off the table who would you go after? Dabo? Jimbo maybe? Try to steal Petersen from Washington?

• Locked thread