Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if a splinter faction is killed before you can confederate\annex them how do you get their LLs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
No. Only way to get them is to have the faction reappear through rebellion and then confederate later. But that's quite onerous since you'll they'll start at war with you.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mukip posted:

No. Only way to get them is to have the faction reappear through rebellion and then confederate later. But that's quite onerous since you'll they'll start at war with you.

what i i release and then try to confderate? or you can't confederate vassals?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I played my last set of matches against Vox:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL-q9Tcsh-aanJWaTdmSFpSRHM/view?usp=sharing

My Bretonnia vs his Greenskins The nobility stay home to dine, peasants are turned into chopped liver.
My VC vs his Chaos Combustion. That is the answer!
My Greenskins vs his Dwarfs Miners derive little of value from excavating Orc brains, charioteers compete for relevance in cavalry-free environment
My Chaos vs his Empire Archaon's quest for the fabled artifact called "respect" continues apace

Results: 2-2 I think that's everybody so I am now the guy to beat with 27 wins.

Mans posted:

what i i release and then try to confderate? or you can't confederate vassals?

I don't think you can since there's no diplomatic options with them. I don't know what releasing them will do to your reputation and standings.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Vox Nihili posted:

Round 4 was absolutely shameful, half my units were left on walk or got stuck on terrain for the decisive portion of the battle.

At the very least it was fun to watch! I reckon the Night Goblin Warboss shouldn't have gone with your cavalry - he's more a 'Squig' Lord than he is a mounted Lord, what with the huge bonus vs. infantry and the low-ish speed. He's also sorta squishy, so powerful cav or mounted heroes will mess him right up.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Vox Nihili posted:

Round 4 was absolutely shameful, half my units were left on walk or got stuck on terrain for the decisive portion of the battle.

A shameful display!

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
20% off the game: KJO6P-9FQ43-I8GJN

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Ya'll with 20% off codes may consider posting them in the main Total War thread, since that might have more people who would be interested but haven't already picked up the game.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Ya'll with 20% off codes may consider posting them in the main Total War thread, since that might have more people who would be interested but haven't already picked up the game.

Good idea.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
RE: Mods. I use these mods, a lot are pretty self explanatory. I mostly have minor cosmetic stuff since the base game is pretty great as is. I just like a little more variety for how stuff looks:
beastmen color variation
horse color variation
boar color variation
brettonia knight barding + shields (makes brettonian knights look cool)
home region movement bonus
more skill points (2 per level starting at 10 for lords, 2 per every five levels for agents, so an extra point at level 5, 10, 15, etc)
mousillon, city of the damned (cosmetic changes for that faction. French zombies, basically)
bigger beastmen
no flaming weapons
valuable veterans, half effect (more bonuses to stats as units gain veterancy)
no public order cheats for the AI
rugged dwarf warriors (makes dwarf warrior units look cooler)
unique empire states (slightly different gear/uniforms for the different empire factions)

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
I use a godawful amount of mods that change depending on what faction i play, sometimes i even make new ones when an idea for making something more tolerable or fun comes to me.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 30, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Krazyface posted:

So how are the wood elves, in terms of army composition?

It's been summarized well, but if you want a more detailed overview...

In general, most Wood Elf units are equipped with some combination of:

Longbow: Armor Piercing, low weapon strength

Asrai Spear: Armor Piercing, usually low weapon strength.

Basically every unit that isn't a monster has light or no armor also. A lot of them will probably have abilities like vanguard and/or stalk and they should be a bit faster than average.

They also have a wide selection of magic arrows available to most of their archer units, They're the one faction I could see bringing back the ammunition type toggle from older TW games.

Anyway, units:

Infantry

Eternal Guard Skilled but expensive core spearmen. Light armor, obviously.

Wildwood Ranger Greatweapon carrying Anti-large unit.

Wardancer Elite unarmored dual-weapon infantry with a tatoo ward save (so physical resist like Savage Orcs) and the ability to switch between three different dances for different bonuses.

Dryads human-sized monster infantry with something resembling actual staying power.

Treekin Monstrous Infantry, high toughness, weak to fire.

Missile Infantry

Glade Guard Your basic longbow unit, no armor. Still expensive but decent in melee, get magic arrows.

Deepwood Scouts Exactly like Glade Guard but with better stealth/skirmish abilities. One of these units will probably get axed honestly.

Waywatchers Your super-elite sneaky Ranger-type Longbow archer. Can choose between multiple shots or completely ignoring armor in the TT.

Cavalry

Glade Riders Fast skirmish cav with Longbows and Spears. No armor.

Wild Riders Fast light armored elite shock cav riding huge stags. Get the tatoo save like Wardancers, along with Devastating Charge, frenzy, and cause fear.

Sisters of the Thorn An odd quasi-hero unit of elf priestesses armed with poison javelins, a strong ward save, and the ability to cast two spells.

Warhawk Rider Giant Hawks with some elf on their back shooting arrows at people.

Monsters

Giant Eagle Similar to the Warhawk but a pure melee flyer.

Treeman Your full on Giant Ettin wrecking ball.

Generic Lords

Glade Lord

Your basic combat lord, but now more ranged focused with light armor and a longbow as default equipment. Has a special rule of being able to snipe one dude (low damage) before the fight even starts.

Gets all the mount options, Horse, Stag, Eagle, and Dragon.

Spellweaver Wizard lord, can choose from any of the 8 lore or High or Dark magic. Can ride a horse, unicorn, or Eagle.

Treeman Ancient A giant tree Lord who also casts spells from the Lore of Life. Loses some stats compared to a normal treeman, mind.

Generic Heroes

Glade Captain You know how Captains work by now. Gets the Eagle but not the Dragon.

Spellsinger Can cast any of the 8 lores, still gets to ride an Eagle, no High or Dark magic.

Shadow Dancer A hero version of the Wardancer who also gets Lore of Shadow.

Waystalker Ranger hero, good candidate for being the assassin type agent both on the campaign map and in combat.

Branchwraith The generic Dryad hero Drytha is based off of, uses lore of life+decent melee.

Overall it's not a huge roster and doesn't introduce that many new models, you need Elf, Dryad, Treeman and Hawk/Eagle pretty much, so I think they will get most of their units with a few possible cuts for redundancy or saving for a Lord Pack or whatever.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

madmac posted:

It's been summarized well, but if you want a more detailed overview...

Also, there was that guy who posted everyone's army compositions during the pre-release hype and then put the whole thing in a Drive folder, which can be found here.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Also, there was that guy who posted everyone's army compositions during the pre-release hype and then put the whole thing in a Drive folder, which can be found here.

Reading some of this I think it might make sense if the High Elves when they are introduced get a campaign mechanic that penalizes taking heavy battle casualties. The fluff seems to emphasize how, while their armies are superb, they simply don't have the population base to replace heavy losses combined with High Elf warriors taking a long time to train. So they'd have a log of (like the Book of Grudges) how battles where they took heavy casualties and it would apply say penalties to settlement growth, public order, unit recruitment cost and replenishment rate, to think of a few areas that could be impacted.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 30, 2016

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just went and got myself grombindal.

Am I the only one who hasn't finished a single game? I mostly get bored after like 80 turns when things start becoming too easy.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Affi posted:

Just went and got myself grombindal.

Am I the only one who hasn't finished a single game? I mostly get bored after like 80 turns when things start becoming too easy.

I made myself slog through winning with all the factions for the achievements but otherwise I start way more games than I finish. Some factions are also worse about it than others, like gently caress ever actually completing a Dwarf campaign ever again.

The one thing I'll say in favor of playing longer games is that interesting late game scenarios do happen from time to time. Big AI Empires sending huge waves of armies at you is something you don't get to experience early or mid game. Pretty much Age of Peace tends to be a lot more dangerous than the Chaos invasion assuming there's enough factions still around and kicking to make a party out of it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
There really should be more story driven content to make playing a game through to the end would be more fun. Also the beastmen mini campaign is ridiculously bad but could easily be made fun with just a bit more scripting.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

That, and open up the mini campaign for multiplayer. I haven't tried campaign coop but the chance to play hide & seek with a human opponent sounds like a blast. Maybe if Middenheim gets a remodel on down the line.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Goddammit.

I actually bought the magazine because the Games Workshop store I went into was so deserted I felt bad for the owner. Poor dude was so eager to sell me ridiculously overpriced figurines and paint. "It's much simpler now! You can start playing with only one box!"

Now I'm looking through the magazine and, ok, these figurines actually do look cool. It's a drat good thing I started with the much-easier-to-play computer game and I *know* I can't paint that well or I would be convincing myself this sounded like a fun hobby.

Of course I imagine it's only a matter of time before someone figures out how to run the Total War models through a 3d printer.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tikos ship in November. The death of the plastic figure store is pretty much here.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

God 8th edition WElves were lamer than the 6th edition Wood Elves. Also Dryads are closer to Orcs in size than men.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Tikos ship in November. The death of the plastic figure store is pretty much here.

Gold local stores will thrive, because they make themselves a good venue for in person gaming. GW stores will suffer though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Does anyone have/know of a mod that lets you attack from forced march stance, but gives the opponent some pretty significant bonuses if you do? Something like the defender getting vanguard deployment on the army, or the attackers coming in exhausted, or both? Or a chance for the defenders to automatically earn an ambush a la beastmen? It'd let you wipe out the irritant, tiny hordes pretty easily while making even-ish armies something that you'd want to take on in a different manner.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

Does anyone have/know of a mod that lets you attack from forced march stance, but gives the opponent some pretty significant bonuses if you do? Something like the defender getting vanguard deployment on the army, or the attackers coming in exhausted, or both? Or a chance for the defenders to automatically earn an ambush a la beastmen? It'd let you wipe out the irritant, tiny hordes pretty easily while making even-ish armies something that you'd want to take on in a different manner.

Doesn't look like there's anything of this sort. Best we have are mods that disable forced march, make forced march cost 100% movement (so the enemy can't attack a town, force march, run away in the same turn) and one mod that makes forced march into a "safe march" mode that reduces attrition/movement range/ambush chance.

I just said "gently caress it" and modded out forced march entirely. Chasing armies around is not my idea of fun.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Rygar201 posted:

Gold local stores will thrive, because they make themselves a good venue for in person gaming. GW stores will suffer though.

Honestly I don't know how GW stores are still in business. 3D printing isn't new; they could have done what every mechanic in the US has done and switched to a just-in-time model years ago, only it would have been easier for them because they only need to supply feedstock. They could even have their cake and eat it too by selling boxed sets at a superior per-unit price and one offs at a higher price, but nope! GW gonna GW.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Randarkman posted:

Reading some of this I think it might make sense if the High Elves when they are introduced get a campaign mechanic that penalizes taking heavy battle casualties. The fluff seems to emphasize how, while their armies are superb, they simply don't have the population base to replace heavy losses combined with High Elf warriors taking a long time to train. So they'd have a log of (like the Book of Grudges) how battles where they took heavy casualties and it would apply say penalties to settlement growth, public order, unit recruitment cost and replenishment rate, to think of a few areas that could be impacted.

This sounds cool from fluff but wouldn't add much as a mechanic. It would make for snowball gameplay where doing well meant you breezed through things (which everyone does if they are doing well) and doing poorly kicked you in the balls on top of the inherent drawbacks that come with losing troops / battles. It doesn't really add any new gameplay.

I agree that it is thematic though. Perhaps if it was combined with a more unique strategy layer mechanic you could keep that feel while giving the player something interesting to mitigate it. Maybe unique diplomacy options, benefits, and special events? Warhammer hasn't used the Rome 2 mechanic of being able to build units from friendly (vassal) cities yet either, maybe that could be a thing. Use special elf diplomacy to make friends, hire their troops to do your dying while your elf troops look pretty. Having a faction that plays a sort of puppetmaster game and can pokemon other faction's troops would be interesting. That sort of gameplay might fit the mercantile southern realms better though.

It does sound elf-like to get other people to do your fighting for you.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Triskelli posted:

That, and open up the mini campaign for multiplayer. I haven't tried campaign coop but the chance to play hide & seek with a human opponent sounds like a blast. Maybe if Middenheim gets a remodel on down the line.

That mini campaign is just: look a smaller map! Go play!

It could have scripting and it could use some more story. My idea of a mini campaign isnt hide in a bush for twenty turns it could easily have been quest battles and story content.

This is your Army you can do this and the reward could be A more troops B a unit of trolls or C a Magic item.

I dunnu.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
In all likelihood if they were going to integrate the low high elf pop into gameplay, they'll probably just make recruitment times take a turn longer or make their units have high upkeep or something.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I hope they don't. There's no low population penalty for dwarves.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
There should be different maps. Im not a lore dude but im thinking heroes of might and magic: underworld map that correlates to the overworld somewhat.

Easier travel avoiding mountains and poo poo but certain races take attrition or something. Easier chokepoints and such.

Good way to expand dwarf and ork gameplay. Nice way to introduce skaven.

Maybe a beastpath map? Where wood elfs have their cities? I dunno.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
So I've owned this since it came out but haven't played since just before Beastmen. I updated it today then tried to launch and had it crash to desktop (with an error message) on the splash screen. That's never happened before, and nothing has changed hardware-wise on my PC*, so I'm assuming it's something to do with the update. Anyone have any ideas? I have no DLC except the Warriors of Chaos one you got for ordering early.

*The first time it happened I figured it might be out-of-date graphics drivers, but I've updated them and it's still happening.

edit: I've tried all the usual Steam stuff like verifying the cache, it claims it's all fine.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 30, 2016

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
More game recorded, thanks for the double check on the one I missed.

quote:

Goon Fight 3 - Battle of the Underdogs Rules

Basic rules:
- Round robin style, all players will play 4 battles vs every other player on the list. Overall tournament winners will be determined by best overall record. Players with the same record will play tiebreaker matches best of 3.
- Once you play a faction against an opponent you may not pick that faction again in the current set of 4 games agaisnt that same opponent.
- Each player must use at least one of the following factions in the first 3 games - Dwarf, Chaos, Bretonnia, Beastmen.
- Players will lock in their faction choice in the prebattle lobby using the following method: One player will state their faction selection in chat "locking them into that faction" and then the second player picks a faction. First pick rotates each game.

Army Selection Rules:
- no Grim & Grave regiments of renown
- Using the following limits found here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EHpsvqVL-4pfKAF683SChvlqP8cdRM-m1xzafw54tyA/edit?usp=sharing
25% minimum core units
25% max leadership units
25% max special units
25% max rare units
~2% wiggle room allowed so people don't go crazy trying to fit something in exactly
veteran rank costs don't count towards a core/special/rare category

Battle Maps:
1) L'Anguille
2) MP Peak Pass
3) MP Blue Reach River
4) Pillar of Bone

Battle Actions:
- No corner camping defined as having the flanks of your army end on the red line on both sides
- No playing for a draw
- If you have artillery you may hang back as long as it's not camped in a corner.

Tips to Be a Cool Dude:
- save some army set ups before hand, the core/special/rare setup demands a little extra time. Respect your opponents time and limit fiddling around building your army right before battle.

Alternate Win Condition/Prize:
- Player with the most total game wins using any of the following factions Dwarf, Chaos, Bretonnia, Beastmen will be gifted their choice of DLC (excluding the $20 beastmen one). If the winner owns all the DLC you can nominate your favorite opponent to receive it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Zephro posted:

So I've owned this since it came out but haven't played since just before Beastmen. I updated it today then tried to launch and had it crash to desktop (with an error message) on the splash screen. That's never happened before, and nothing has changed hardware-wise on my PC*, so I'm assuming it's something to do with the update. Anyone have any ideas? I have no DLC except the Warriors of Chaos one you got for ordering early.

*The first time it happened I figured it might be out-of-date graphics drivers, but I've updated them and it's still happening.

edit: I've tried all the usual Steam stuff like verifying the cache, it claims it's all fine.

Have any mods installed?

Also try deleting this entire folder C:\Users\$USERNAME$\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Warhammer

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

wiegieman posted:

Honestly I don't know how GW stores are still in business. 3D printing isn't new; they could have done what every mechanic in the US has done and switched to a just-in-time model years ago, only it would have been easier for them because they only need to supply feedstock. They could even have their cake and eat it too by selling boxed sets at a superior per-unit price and one offs at a higher price, but nope! GW gonna GW.

I feel kinda bad for them because one thing they've always done well is investing really heavily in plastic molds and the like and they've led the industry in it. Then along comes 3D printing and it turns out that poo poo is no big deal any more.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I would implement age of Charlemagne's war fatigue system for wood elves.
I don't feel bad for GW because laughing at their baffling decisions is too entertaining.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Corrode posted:

I feel kinda bad for them because one thing they've always done well is investing really heavily in plastic molds and the like and they've led the industry in it. Then along comes 3D printing and it turns out that poo poo is no big deal any more.

Is 3d printing really as cost-effective as nerds online all seem to believe?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Zephro posted:

Perhaps try switching between DX11/12 in the launcher, if that's available?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Do wood elves have cities in the fluff at all, or are they just a collection of dudes roaming around in little bands that come together whenever they need to go to war or prank Bretonnia again? I'm trying to guess whether they'll be a horde faction, have walls on their cities and be static, not have walls (which would loving suck unless they get some massive map movement control) or what. It seems like they could easily just end up as "ranged Beastmen" which wouldn't be bad, but wouldn't be as fun as having a new faction playstyle in the same way the Beastmen were.

e:

Lassitude posted:

Doesn't look like there's anything of this sort. Best we have are mods that disable forced march, make forced march cost 100% movement (so the enemy can't attack a town, force march, run away in the same turn) and one mod that makes forced march into a "safe march" mode that reduces attrition/movement range/ambush chance.

I just said "gently caress it" and modded out forced march entirely. Chasing armies around is not my idea of fun.
drat. The big frustration is that all of the extra movement options don't let you attack from them, either. You can't attack from underway or beastpath movement, so even the dwarves can have issues catching enemies in the mountains because while you can teleport right next to them, you have to switch to normal movement to actually attack them, so they can just forced march away. Maybe forced marching should cause attrition too. I like that it exists, I just don't like that its only real counter is (mods aside) an unreliable ambush stance or agent spam. I like the option, it just needs some work beyond gutting it altogether.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 30, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Captain Beans posted:

Have any mods installed?
Nope.

quote:

Also try deleting this entire folder C:\Users\$USERNAME$\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Warhammer
That did the trick, thanks! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Do wood elves have cities in the fluff at all, or are they just a collection of dudes roaming around in little bands that come together whenever they need to go to war or prank Bretonnia again? I'm trying to guess whether they'll be a horde faction, have walls on their cities and be static, not have walls (which would loving suck unless they get some massive map movement control) or what. It seems like they could easily just end up as "ranged Beastmen" which wouldn't be bad, but wouldn't be as fun as having a new faction playstyle in the same way the Beastmen were.

They have settlements in and around Athel Loren, yeah. They don't have a lot of big cities because that's not how they roll. Warhammer Wood Elves are way more Fae than other settings Wood Elves.

• Locked thread