Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Northjayhawk posted:

yeah.... that article is not good. I still think Clinton will win, but thats only because I firmly believe Trump is unelectable. I'd hate to see that assumption put to the test.
Can you summarize what is Not Good in it? As best as I can tell the accusation is that a Democrat is trying to kill the investigation into Killary's email horrors, which - well, if we have to assume Comey is acting fairly, why doesn't this apply to McCabe as well? Perhaps McCabe did not want to encourage the inevitable and eternal Clinton Investigation Machine, which will probably be going strong and firmly backed by the Republicans even when we are all dead in the baking hellscape of a murdered Earth?

e: like, we all know for a fact that if they don't find anything, they will instead investigate harder until they find The Evidence To Put Hillary In Jail, and if they never find it because it doesn't exist, she'll still get blamed, yelled at, etc. and it will take political air out of the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

central dogma posted:

Serious question. I see a lot of people fearing that Trump would start nuclear war. Like it's a real talking point. If he were to do some pre-emptive strike to stroke his ego, as I've been told is a serious possibility, do you think whoever got the order to fire would just be like "F that" and ignore the command?

"You put your goddamn hand on that scanning screen or I'll hack it off and put it on for you."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EO9y4rGxvk

Of course, Trump wouldn't use it against Russia, but maybe Iran or some other lesser power that he can get away dropping 10 megatons of concentrated sunshine on.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Star Trek was faux-woke from the start. The entire series is founded on intellectually-superior white men trying to control and dominate other races, specifically they lord over racist caricatures of black people (Klingons), Jews (Ferengi), and Asians (Romulans), and this is portrayed as the greatest thing ever. All of that poo poo about Star Trek being so progressive is a lie, they cast a black woman but her job was to answer the loving space phone.

Nichelle Niccols posted:

“That Saturday, I was invited as a celebrity guest to a fundraiser in Beverly Hills and one of the promoters walked over and said someone wanted to meet me. I turned to see this man across the room with a brilliant smile and it was Dr Martin Luther King. He put out his hand to me and said, ‘I am your greatest fan’. That was an incredible moment.

“He began talking about my role on TV and how important it was for the black community. When I told him I was leaving, he said, ‘You cannot leave. This is a unique role in a unique point of time, which breathes life into what we are marching for – equality.’ Suddenly my role had become bigger than me. I was speechless and so, of course, on Monday I went to get back my resignation letter!

“Years later I got the chance to meet another big fan, Whoopi Goldberg. She told me that she used to watch Star Trek when she was nine years old and she ran through the house shouting:

‘Quick there is a black lady on Star Trek and she ain’t a maid!’ And that she knew after that she could be anything she wanted to be. I was so honoured that I influenced her in such a positive way. She’s a wonderful friend.

“I have been so blessed and lucky to do what I do. I go around the world signing autographs and meeting fans. The only time I will retire is to a casket.”
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/717915/Actress-Nichelle-Nichols-Star-Trek-Lieutenant-Uhura

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Senator Harrold Reid just released a letter written to James Comey alleging that Comey has broken federal law, specifically the Hatch Act.

And HOLY LOL at Chris Christie:

https://twitter.com/JesseFFerguson/status/792837825980956672

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Crazy Ted posted:

That article gives the impression that there's an internal power struggle both within the FBI and the DoJ over the belief that investigations into the Clinton Foundation are a waste of time since much of the relevant information is publicly available and may have already been covered.

Unless that article is ignored by the media and not widely reported, that subtlety will be lost on a lot of people. We now know unambiguously that FBI agents on the field wanted to keep digging and thought there still might be a crime to investigate, but they were firmly shut down by DOJ.

The article tries to explain that this is not unusual, agents and prosecutors often spin out in wild goose chases and always think they are this close to making a good case but at some point when resources seem to be wasted on something thats not yielding results, management needs to step in and tell them to stop wasting time and money on this, go investigate something else.

Many voters, not just GOP crazies, will just see that as proof that Obama, Lynch, and DOJ were in the tank for Hillary and trying to protect her.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

Senator Harrold Reid just released a letter written to James Comey alleging that Comey has broken federal law, specifically the Hatch Act.

i edited it into my last post, total scorched earth

i as a shameless democratic partisan enjoy it and i hope that it plays well enough with the base to offset the pearl-clutching that's bound to follow from cable news and mushy centrists

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Crazy Ted posted:

Wish there was enough footage of Cristie suffering to turn it into a music video like the many Johnny Cash Hurt Jeb Bush tributes

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

gfsincere posted:

If they want to do the work, they need to do the research, and stop expecting minorities to hand you the answer (magical negro/black man who has all the answers to correct a white life stereotype aside).

That's the thing though. I think we can both agree that blackness is not a monolithic position with a monolithic outlook on its role in America. Moments on this very forum have shown that people of color can disagree significantly on positions of race in America. I don't think its fair to claim that because I am asking you what you think I am asking you to speak for the monolithic entity of black America. I also do not think its fair to claim just because I do not understand your position that I have never done research into the issue at all.

Yes, you're right that white people should do research and be critical about their history. But there are going to come times where even people with the best intentions are going to be confused or ask for clarification. I asked you what you thought because you expressed an opinion I was having trouble reconciling.

The reason why I asked you personally is because I have seen time and time again you express a position, it turn into a derail with insults from everyone in the thread, and then someone getting probated. I was trying to interject into this cycle because I recognize that you personally have a perspective I have not experienced before and I wanted to understand it better. I am not trying to understand Black America as a monolith better. I am trying to understand you better.

If you feel like you don't owe me that, that's fine. I understand. But please understand that someone can try to understand you as a person without trying to make you the envoy for your entire race. If you felt I was, I apologize. But what I was trying to get at is your personal perspective.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

meristem posted:

The one thing I find interesting is how this entire discussion so far has completely failed to mention the original context in which the statue was constructed, and the original meaning it had for the people who lived through its construction - which was to celebrate the abolitionist movement and the Union's victory in the Civil War. All the immigration connotations came only later.

Looks like the NPS itself has a few words about that context that (surprise, surprise!) go straight back to gfsincere's original point.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/792845629848363008

Hopefully over a year of email scandal fatigue is causing people to just ignore anything related to this issue.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

Out of curiosity would this be in perpetuity and would there be a requirement to have a certain "level" of slave ancestry? For instance, to use a French example, would a decedent of Alexandre Dumas be eligible?

I honestly haven't thought it out too much beyond the brainstorming stage. I would like reparations, but I'm an Afro-pessimist so I have thought longer about that more then the US making things right with black people in any meaningful manner.

negromancer fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 30, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Northjayhawk posted:

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/792845629848363008

Hopefully over a year of email scandal fatigue is causing people to just ignore anything related to this issue.

Yeah, that was my thought at the very beginning

how much can people even care about the emails anymore?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, that was my thought at the very beginning

how much can people even care about the emails anymore?
We care. We care a LOT. :derp:

It was pretty funny to see the people buying into the fake poll claims earlier on Friday though.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well of course he's not obligated to tell us what we should do, but if we are trying to make progress I feel like we at least owe it to ask. I understand it can seem like we are laying the expectation of progress at their feet, but that's not the point. White people are responsible for fixing white hegemony, but if we are going to fix it we should at least make an honest effort to communicate with other groups about what they see as our failings.

The best way I've found to do that is to lurk. There's never been an easier time to STFU and listen to people of color having conversations with each other on places like Twitter.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Slavery absolutely wasn't the "best outcome" in terms of opportunity costs for net society and the chosen method of managing slavery as a resource also wasn't the best outcome in terms of opportunity costs for slave owners in particular but in general the specific people who owned slaves and those that did business with them (i.e. Northern and British industrialists) made mad bank off of the system and that can't be denied.

I don't disagree that individuals and some groups made a lot of money off of slavery. That is one of the outrages of slavery. I wasn't addressing that. I was addressing the notion that the US economy gained from slavery, as the poster said. It did in the short term. My argument is that the economy up until now and into the future would gain much more if an entire class of people could have lived and worked to their full potential.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Crazy Ted posted:

I find it funny that people think Bridge-gate would've mattered. Trump was revealed to have conducted business with Iran and Cuba when it was illegal to do so and nobody gave a gently caress, yet those people would care that his loud rear end in a top hat VP might've done something?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
https://twitter.com/TomCottonAR/status/792840148564185088

:ironicat:

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Well, what does she know anyway

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

idiotsavant posted:

Looks like the NPS itself has a few words about that context that (surprise, surprise!) go straight back to gfsincere's original point.

Sad and accurate point.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

quote:

According to a person familiar with the probes, on Aug. 12, a senior Justice Department official called Mr. McCabe to voice his displeasure at finding that New York FBI agents were still openly pursuing the Clinton Foundation probe, despite the department’s refusal to allow more aggressive investigative methods in the case. Mr. McCabe said agents still had the authority to pursue the issue as long as they didn’t use those methods.

interestingly, it looks like the justice department's beef isn't necessarily that the fbi is investigating the clintons at all, it's that they're doing so without actually opening a line and using their full suite of capabilities

with the investigation in an officially closed status as it is now, the FBI still has (under extremely limited scope) some tools that allows it to poke away at the investigation anyway and dribble information out to republicans on a protracted basis. so the justice department is saying "holy poo poo guys, if you think there's something there then actually open the investigation so we can expedite it, and if not then knock it off already"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

booseek posted:

I don't disagree that individuals and some groups made a lot of money off of slavery. That is one of the outrages of slavery. I wasn't addressing that. I was addressing the notion that the US economy gained from slavery, as the poster said. It did in the short term. My argument is that the economy up until now and into the future would gain much more if an entire class of people could have lived and worked to their full potential.

Well, yes. That is what I meant by in terms of net societal gain, slavery had huge opportunity costs and generally was really bad for society. The notion that "America benefitted immensely from slavery" is referencing more the fact that rich white people benefitted greatly from it, and the power structures that allow them to continue to rule were built on stolen Native land by black slaves.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
oh cool, just saw a DCCC ad for a local house race that is a reach (but probably needed for the mythical Dem majority).

They either have a lot of money to just casually throw around, or the ad was already paid for before Friday's email poo poo may have made them reconsider.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Venuz Patrol posted:

interestingly, it looks like the justice department's beef isn't necessarily that the fbi is investigating the clintons at all, it's that they're doing so without actually opening a line and using their full suite of capabilities

with the investigation in an officially closed status as it is now, the FBI still has (under extremely limited scope) some tools that allows it to poke away at the investigation anyway and dribble information out to republicans on a protracted basis. so the justice department is saying "holy poo poo guys, if you think there's something there then actually open the investigation so we can expedite it, and if not then knock it off already"
"Dribbling information out to Republicans on a protracted basis" may actually be the point of the entire operation! I mean even leaving aside the question of if there's bad poo poo or not involved, do you think the Republicans actually WANT Clinton in jail? It would be awful for business at this point. Better to hog the Senate and let SCOTUS shrink down in anticipation of your next President.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

It never ceases to amaze me how loving dumb Tom Cotton is. The entire point of Harry' Reid's angry letter to Comey wasn't to bitch him out about Her drat Emails, it was to be leaked and get people talking about the FBI sitting on explosive Trump allegations.

Tom Cotton is doing exactly what Reid wants. It's just like when Reid kept calling press conferences on how, just, really horrible Romney's tax returns were. He's trolling and the GOP is too dumb to see it.

I'm currently getting popcorn ready for Donny's "measured" response.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

pgroce posted:

The best way I've found to do that is to lurk. There's never been an easier time to STFU and listen to people of color having conversations with each other on places like Twitter.

There were no other PoC in the conversation which is why I asked. It was a single person making a statement, getting a lot of negative pushback, and I wanted to engage with the ideas instead of sitting back and letting the same bullshit happen.

The whole reason I asked if because I have lurked during the gfsincere posts, bunch of people get angry, repeat ad infinitum several times. I was trying to get something more constructive from it than what has frequently been the status quo when he posts.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"This scandal surely means the end for Hillary" says increasingly nervous GOP for 5,935,235th time in 30 years.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Northjayhawk posted:

oh cool, just saw a DCCC ad for a local house race that is a reach (but probably needed for the mythical Dem majority).

They either have a lot of money to just casually throw around, or the ad was already paid for before Friday's email poo poo may have made them reconsider.

I was explaining to a foreign friend what the "email" stuff was and the more I explained that the "email stuff" stems from Benghazi and the 4 Americans killed and now it's on like a third stage separated from relevance of anything I started to get mad and realized I really wanted to get a drink and not think about it for a while.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Venuz Patrol posted:

I think you misread it. After a lot of digging and investigating, DOJ was unimpressed with the evidence and told them to move on. When they asked if they could use the tools mentioned in the story, they were told no. When DOJ angrily asked them why they were still investigating the Clinton foundation, the FBI was basically saying "hey its cool, we're not using X".

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 30, 2016

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I find it funny that people think Bridge-gate would've mattered. Trump was revealed to have conducted business with Iran and Cuba when it was illegal to do so and nobody gave a gently caress, yet those people would care that his loud rear end in a top hat VP might've done something?

well, it would have cost the gop new jersey

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I will admit, I care about the executive way more than the senate in this election.

I see the election unfolding three ways

Dem Prez, Dem Senate: things are better
Dem Prez, Rep Senate: status quo
Rep Prez, Rep Senate: everything burns

If Hillary wins but the Senate remains GOP, at least its the status quo. Its complete poo poo, but at least poo poo their is a precedent for.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Speaking of slavery I'm working through Walter Johnson's River of Dark Dreams: Slavery and Empire in the Cotton Kingdom right now. It's excellent.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/792844177885261824 Here's the tweet with Reid's letter in it, since I see it didn't get actually linked.

hosed up if true.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why does this thread hate Marketplace and Kai Ryssdal?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There were no other PoC in the conversation which is why I asked. It was a single person making a statement, getting a lot of negative pushback, and I wanted to engage with the ideas instead of sitting back and letting the same bullshit happen.

The whole reason I asked if because I have lurked during the gfsincere posts, bunch of people get angry, repeat ad infinitum several times. I was trying to get something more constructive from it than what has frequently been the status quo when he posts.

This is good posting

I'm curious about gfsincere's thoughts on the NPS link posted up the page

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will admit, I care about the executive way more than the senate in this election.

I see the election unfolding three ways

Dem Prez, Dem Senate: things are better
Dem Prez, Rep Senate: status quo
Rep Prez, Rep Senate: everything burns

If Hillary wins but the Senate remains GOP, at least its the status quo. Its complete poo poo, but at least poo poo their is a precedent for.

If the GOP holds the Senate, it'll be amusing (and depressing) to watch Hillary chuck nominee after nominee at the Senate until they finally fail to block one and it goes flying through the net and into Scalia's chair.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I've been taking a break from things for a week or so now, but what's all this nonsense on Twitter about Clinton and Obama having something to do with the Qatar-Turkey Pipeline? I can't handle the influx of conspiracies anymore, but I'm curious what the crazies think they're on to now.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Because Kai Ryssdal gleefully dances around the hosed human costs of capitalism and frames everything in the perspective of wealthy stockholders.

A good example was when he did "happy news" song for the stocks and the story was "blah blah company is up 3% today after announcing they are downsizing 10% of their work force"

Think about how hosed it is that 10% downsizing of workforce leads to 3% stock increase is seen as "good" news.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Because it is a business show that many NPR affiliates carry.

For what it is, it is rather left of other business shows. But when you finish Terri Gross and bam Kai starts in about the "price implications of voter supression" and it is a harsh transition.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Northjayhawk posted:

If the GOP holds the Senate, it'll be amusing (and depressing) to watch Hillary chuck nominee after nominee at the Senate until they finally fail to block one and it goes flying through the net and into Scalia's chair.

cspan would be more exciting if government was arranged as a game of basketball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Senf posted:

I've been taking a break from things for a week or so now, but what's all this nonsense on Twitter about Clinton and Obama having something to do with the Qatar-Turkey Pipeline? I can't handle the influx of conspiracies anymore, but I'm curious what the crazies think they're on to now.

If its not being reported by real media, I don't think I even want to know. I'm maxed out on silly alt-right conspiracy theories.

• Locked thread