Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Early Voting report from rural MoCo Maryland from my parents: Dead. Like no one in line on Sunday night.

I'll see what it looks like tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Cingulate posted:

Na, you're not a terrible poster. You're just never expressing nuance in anything I've seen you write.

The NPS article does not "exactly" state the Statue is a symbol of white supremacy.

It'd love to hear the Nichelle Nichols podcast though!

For many many black people, especially in the south, winning the civil war didn't change their daily existence or experiences at all. So they weren't "owned" anymore. They were still surrounded by the same pervasive racism where their lives didn't matter, still locked out of the economy, and that statue was seen as a circle jerk of white people talking about how awesome they were while still being oppressive as gently caress, and the nature of White America hasn't changed that much since 1866.

But hey, it's more important for you to be a pedantic rear end in a top hat than actually take anything in, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

The first featured gay character. However, there was an episode of All in the Family that centered on a man who was an in-the-closet homosexual.

Didn't Roseanne also have the first gay marriage/kiss? I can't remember.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

i know mark halperin is a worthless hack but should i care about any of the clinton foundation poo poo in the article, my guess is "no" but it would be reassuring to know why

https://twitter.com/MarkHalperin/status/792835095048650752

The wall street journal has been a rag for some time now. It's a real shame what happened to them but hey that's Murdoch for you

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Nessus posted:

I'm making like an off-shore earthquake and littorally shaking now.

Pun noted and appreciated.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Northjayhawk posted:

For those who didn't read it, Reid said that the FBI has evidence that both Trump and his advisors have direct ties to Russia, they knew this long ago, and refused to release that.

Trump's business tied to Russa aren't unknown and everyone knows about the ties guys like Manafort have to Russia. Not that the FBI has said anything about it because surely there's no reason to talk about a POTUS candidate with pro-Russia views having used known Putinists on his team when EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS

Stultus Maximus posted:

She's just desperate for attention, as she has been for years. She's completely irrelevant these days.

You're wrong but I really wish you weren't.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

"President Trump has nominated James Comey as Attorney General"

The thing is, after the election I check out of this thread. Even if Trump wins and starts the next dozen world wars, I probably wont be hearing to much about American internal politics. Unless he literally makes him a General in his new military regime and hands the control of the former Europe over to him I guess.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Evil Fluffy posted:

When was the last time in a decade Coulter mattered?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

Trump's business tied to Russa aren't unknown and everyone knows about the ties guys like Manafort have to Russia. Not that the FBI has said anything about it because surely there's no reason to talk about a POTUS candidate with pro-Russia views having used known Putinists on his team when EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS

not business ties, he specifically said he and his advisors were coordinating with Russia in their campaign.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Honestly, while I understand we are seeing the proof that most Republicans would back literally anyone with R next to their name at this point, I'm surprised this hasn't come up more. I think Trump's strength here is the Freep effect; always more, always worse. If he only had like, a third of this poo poo, he would've sunk.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Koalas March posted:

Didn't Roseanne also have the first gay marriage/kiss? I can't remember.

Her boss Leon was gay.

I think she accidentally outed him when she tried to stick up for him after he got fired.

:edit:

He later got gay married to Fred Willard.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/792861822776782848

An all-out FBI mutiny at this stage in the game? Yes, because this election needs to be even crazier.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Northjayhawk posted:

not business ties, he specifically said he and his advisors were coordinating with Russia in their campaign.
Trump was encouraging Russia to hack Democrats in a speech, wasn't he? I mean, not even in the context of 'oh yeah they'll say I said something like HEY VLAD HACK THE DEMS' but an outright 'sure, I'd love it if they did.'

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

When was the last time in a decade Coulter mattered?

I mean I don't think she ever really "mattered" in the same way Limbagh or Hannity did. But she's basically an ur-example of the alt-right mentality and I suspect she knows she could make inroads with them.

I'm moderately curious if she's really so mean-spirited and hateful or if it's an act and in private she's just regular rich white lady levels of racist. It wouldn't make her any better of a person, I just kinda wanna know.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

An all-out FBI mutiny at this stage in the game? Yes, because this election needs to be even crazier.

It doesn't matter when NBC's headlines are "FBI obtain warrant for Clinton emails!" The news wanted a horserace and this was all they needed to get it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Probably Chaffetz
O god I don't even really know this guy. His twitter handle is @jasoninthehouse. What a douche.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It doesn't matter when NBC's headlines are "FBI obtain warrant for Clinton emails!" The news wanted a horserace and this was all they needed to get it.
I don't want to hear anyone claiming "liberal bias" going forwards

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Crazy Ted posted:

We're going to need republican DOJ officials to go on the record on this because firing Comey is going to look partisan without some republican support. Somebody see if Ashcroft, Holder, and Gonzales want to regain some sliver of their reputation.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

That Reid letter, bar Reid being Reid, is not exactly reassuring. Kinda looks like they're rattled and are firing back. Why bring attention to it some more?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

canepazzo posted:

That Reid letter, bar Reid being Reid, is not exactly reassuring. Kinda looks like they're rattled and are firing back. Why bring attention to it some more?
Ask yourself: If Reid had not said such a thing, and no similar response had been made, would you be thinking: "Why aren't they doing anything about this? Why let the media/Republicans control the narrative?"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

canepazzo posted:

They have to, to protect downballot. Hillary is safe regardless but downballot needs support.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

canepazzo posted:

Because Comey refuses to comment on any potential investigation into Donald Trump.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ImpAtom posted:

It doesn't seem to be impacting actual voting though, so who cares?

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please
all the talk of voter fraud (which I know is bullshit) made me not vote this year. my mailing address is not the same as my residence address and I was afraid of breaking the law and going to prison forever. I feel bad

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mulva posted:

Well the bulk of the voting happens in a little over a week, so the concern is that that particular bolus of democracy will have piss on it, even if Hillary is leading in early voting.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gfsincere posted:

For many many black people, especially in the south, winning the civil war didn't change their daily existence or experiences at all. So they weren't "owned" anymore. They were still surrounded by the same pervasive racism where their lives didn't matter, still locked out of the economy, and that statue was seen as a circle jerk of white people talking about how awesome they were while still being oppressive as gently caress, and the nature of White America hasn't changed that much since 1866.

But hey, it's more important for you to be a pedantic rear end in a top hat than actually take anything in, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Statue not immediately ending white supremacist* rule in the south doesn't make the Statue a symbol of white supremacist rule.

Today, immigrants are receiving some of the worst abuse of Western prejudice and chauvinism. The Statue can be a beautiful symbol of welcoming immigrants, rather than a symbol of white supremacist rule, even if it did not end the situation in the south.

I don't think any of this is being pedantic or an rear end in a top hat. Maybe it's false in some way?

* Is that the proper term for whatever the south did post civil war?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Reaganomicon posted:

all the talk of voter fraud (which I know is bullshit) made me not vote this year. my mailing address is not the same as my residence address and I was afraid of breaking the law and going to prison forever. I feel bad
Just go vote you paranoid doofus.

Unless you're voting Trump. Then you should definitely be afraid.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Cingulate posted:

The Statue not immediately ending white supremacist* rule in the south doesn't make the Statue a symbol of white supremacist rule.

Today, immigrants are receiving some of the worst abuse of Western prejudice and chauvinism. The Statue can be a beautiful symbol of welcoming immigrants, rather than a symbol of white supremacist rule, even if it did not end the situation in the south.

I don't think any of this is being pedantic or an rear end in a top hat. Maybe it's false in some way?

But have you considered that all things that are not perfect are actually bad?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

But have you considered that all things that are not perfect are actually bad?
There is actually zero difference between good things and bad things.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mr Interweb posted:

Is Harry Reid gonna get in trouble for leaking stuff about an FBI investigation?

Sitting congresscritters get tremendous leeway in what they're allowed to say.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
It's a bold gambit on Reid's part. Comey is going to be badgered about answering if there's an investigation into Trump. If there is, Comey has zero grounds to not answer the question. If there isn't, then Reid's letter looks desperate.

Thank loving God this poo poo is almost over.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

When you guys elect a new president, what positions open up that they are required to assign new people to?

e: I ask out of morbid curiosity since Im trying to think of how many hilariously bad people Trump could surround himself with.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
A pretty good article about the white working class, and how they aren't a lost cause.

quote:

Pretty quickly, the pundits had a collective brain melt. How dare we argue that the left-of-center party use a working-class program to appeal to these working-class bigots! In one illuminating discussion, I saw a high-profile political commentator state that this was a ridiculous strategy because the Democratic Party already gets the non-racist share of the white working class to show up. And that the only way these poorer whites would come to the table is if the Democratic Party promised to explicitly or implicitly protect white supremacy.

The implication here is that the huge number of low-income whites who simply stay home on Election Day (or the much smaller number who pull the lever for the GOP) can only be operating — or failing to operate — out of racism.

It was suddenly clear: the liberal commentators who hold this view believe that their party and its record on both campaigning on and enacting a working-class program was so obviously good that to be a worker and fail to vote for the Democratic Party must signal some greater, all-encompassing ideological drive that overpowered class interest.

To this punditocracy, that overriding ideology that thwarts a vote for “the working-class party” must be white supremacy. And thus this huge chunk of downscale white voters who don’t vote at all (and the smaller chunk who vote GOP) would only change their behavior if the Democratic Party became a White Man’s Party in the old Dixiecrat mold or if they somehow, sitting in their homes, managed to overcome their racism through personal enlightenment.

This couldn’t be farther from the truth.

Let’s look at McDowell County, West Virginia. The Guardian zeroed in on McDowell due to Trump winning 91.5 percent of the Republican primary vote. They of course left out the fact that more than three times as many Democratic Party ballots were cast and that nearly twice as many people voted for Sanders as voted for Trump — but we’ll give them a pass because at the time of the primary, the GOP race was effectively decided. Fair enough. McDowell County will likely go for Trump in November. Just as it did for Romney in 2012.

And yet in 2008, Barack Obama won McDowell handily with 53 percent of the vote. Recent studies have shown that Obama won across the country in 2008 with far more white working-class voters than commonly thought. Even though he lost many of them four years later in 2012 — they either stayed home or went with Romney. Trump’s strength in the Midwest this year appears to stem in part from white working-class ex-Obama voters. As one older, ex-mine worker in McDowell says to the Guardian, “I voted for that black guy two times.” He’s now with Trump.

How does a liberal pundit explain this? If these voters are such obstinate racists who’ll always choose upholding “white supremacy” over their pocketbooks, why did they give Obama a shot in the first place? Did they think he wasn’t really black? Why didn’t they vote in 2008 like they did in 2012 and plan to in 2016? Did they simply expect Obama to help uphold white supremacy and, when he got into office, found that he acted “too radically for blackness”? Was inviting Jay-Z to the White House the moment where Obama lost the white working class forever?

Or, perhaps, in the wake of the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, Obama and his party simply failed to make the lives of voters in McDowell County substantially better. Since Obama, the Democrats have campaigned in every subsequent election under the galvanizing cry of “Hey, it could’ve been worse.” Maybe these McDowell voters question how it was that the wealthiest Americans recovered so quickly from the crash while they and their families and neighbors were worse off than ever.

More at link obviously.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mulva posted:

There haven't been any significant polls yet and it also isn't over and any investigation into the emails won't end until after election day.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Cingulate posted:

You're free to think whatever you like. You're not going to change my opinion on the matter and to be perfectly frank, I don't care what you think about it. You're arguing about how black people view a symbol that was ultimately a circlejerk and doesn't live up to either meaning it was intended for in the least, but hey, as long as it gives you the warm fuzzies.

I don't care.

The statue is bullshit, just like most white symbols of American exceptionalism.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

canepazzo posted:

This kind of idiotic thinking is why Kerry didn't respond to the swiftboaters for a few weeks. It did not go away because Kerry didn't "bring attention to it".

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

duz posted:

Sitting congresscritters get tremendous leeway in what they're allowed to say.

And It's not like it will damage his reelection.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Crazy Ted posted:

The first featured gay character. However, there was an episode of All in the Family that centered on a man who was an in-the-closet homosexual.

EDIT: way beaten and oh my gawrsh how could I have forgotten about the dreamy John Inman

If by featured gay character you mean credited main cast, Soap has Ellen beat by 17 years, with Billy Crystal's character Jodie Dallas.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Furnaceface posted:

When you guys elect a new president, what positions open up that they are required to assign new people to?

e: I ask out of morbid curiosity since Im trying to think of how many hilariously bad people Trump could surround himself with.
The President's cabinet (similar to ministers in other nations) are the big obvious ones, as well as the empty SCOTUS seat. It is not impossible that a Republican Senate could prevent Hillary from appointing anyone to any of these, because the US founding fathers probably expected anyone who was mad enough to do that would probably just go shoot Alex Hamilton and try to found a new nation in a chunk of land stolen from Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fidel Castronaut posted:

It's a bold gambit on Reid's part. Comey is going to be badgered about answering if there's an investigation into Trump. If there is, Comey has zero grounds to not answer the question. If there isn't, then Reid's letter looks desperate.

Thank loving God this poo poo is almost over.

If there isn't an investigation into Trump that's loving insane, the man has enough Russian smoke over him it'd be criminal not to check him out.

ImpAtom posted:

There haven't been any significant polls yet and it also isn't over and any investigation into the emails won't end until after election day.

People have been voting, people are voting, people will continue to vote. It doesn't seem like people that were voting one way before this are voting differently after it. So......why care?

• Locked thread