Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

can we put together a kickstarter to change mel's avatar

I am probably gonna change it after the election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Kindle can handle all of those pretty well, it's just a question of how much the publishers give a poo poo about making a proper version. Most don't actually care enough to do the work properly, sadly.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

at the date posted:

A lot of the books I've read lately just wouldn't work on Kindle, for one reason or another, like extensive annotations (Pale Fire, The Third Policeman), odd formatting (The Tunnel, Mulligan Stew, Ulysses), or diagrams (a whole bunch of 20th century linguists defending their special snowflake multidimensional recursive triadic/quadratic/phlegmatic model of the sign).

I've heard good things about the kindle version of a few of those, especially for Pale Fire, Ulysses, and other things like Infinite Jest, since you can bounce from the notes back to the text with a quick button. I can understand issues with typographical novels like Danielewski's work, but Kindle Fires are pretty affordable compared to the Paperwhite and other monochrome models, so you wouldn't miss out on colors or anything.

I prefer physical books, but I've become more reliant on my Kindle. There are great books on sale every day for under $5 if you know how to look, and I like that it tells me my reading speed, so I can spend my reading time more efficiently.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Ive read both Pale Fire and The Third Policeman on my kindle and it was cool and good and easy and fine

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Yeah, both Infinite Jest and Pale Fire were perfectly suited for e-reading. I might even claim that especially IJ works better as an ebook with hyperlinks to jump back and forth through the footnotes.

I'm not using a Kindle, though, but reading on my phone/tablet through Google Books.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

chernobyl kinsman posted:

He contemplated abstrusions, orphic enigmas, and oblique strategies, all while exerting every effort not to look at the dead pregnant woman.

Where did you get my Bulwer-Lytton contest entry.

I think this might be from a Russian tv adaptation.

e: Yeah, the 2007 series.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Doesn't really count as judging a book by its cover if it's part of the classical or modern canon.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Franchescanado posted:

I've heard good things about the kindle version of a few of those, especially for Pale Fire, Ulysses, and other things like Infinite Jest, since you can bounce from the notes back to the text with a quick button. I can understand issues with typographical novels like Danielewski's work, but Kindle Fires are pretty affordable compared to the Paperwhite and other monochrome models, so you wouldn't miss out on colors or anything.

I prefer physical books, but I've become more reliant on my Kindle. There are great books on sale every day for under $5 if you know how to look, and I like that it tells me my reading speed, so I can spend my reading time more efficiently.

The Kindle fire kinda defeats the purpose of an e-reader, which is supposed to be a device that lets you read a big library of books under a variety of light conditions without having to worry about charging very often. If I wanted a tablet, I'd get an iPad.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

at the date posted:

The Kindle fire kinda defeats the purpose of an e-reader, which is supposed to be a device that lets you read a big library of books under a variety of light conditions without having to worry about charging very often. If I wanted a tablet, I'd get an iPad.

My kindle fire can hold 4,000 books stock and has room for microSD cards, plus use of the Amazon cloud uf I managed to somehow fill all of that.

It has the same automatic screen adjustment for varying degreees of lights, or manual if you want. Italso has "blue shade", which is reading with limited colors on a dim view for reading before bed. It sounds weird, but works really well.

Like I said, I prefer physical books, but the Kindle Fire is pretty cool.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Franchescanado posted:

My kindle fire can hold 4,000 books stock and has room for microSD cards, plus use of the Amazon cloud uf I managed to somehow fill all of that.

It has the same automatic screen adjustment for varying degreees of lights, or manual if you want. Italso has "blue shade", which is reading with limited colors on a dim view for reading before bed. It sounds weird, but works really well.

Like I said, I prefer physical books, but the Kindle Fire is pretty cool.

my big issue with Kindle Fire is backlighting

backlighting hurts me reading speed and concentration no matter what color it is

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

my big issue with Kindle Fire is backlighting

backlighting hurts me reading speed and concentration no matter what color it is

Right, and it sucks to read in sunlight. E-ink is way better. This debate was settled ages ago.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I love my Kindle Touch, because I am a poor and can't afford a PW, but I've yet to find a book that isn't fine to read on it.

Reading books with a lot of footnotes is also a joy because you don't have to constantly flick back and forth with a huge loving book and can just tap the screen.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Rush Limbo posted:

I love my Kindle Touch, because I am a poor and can't afford a PW, but I've yet to find a book that isn't fine to read on it.

Reading books with a lot of footnotes is also a joy because you don't have to constantly flick back and forth with a huge loving book and can just tap the screen.

You're thinking of endnotes, and: agreedo. I much prefer my Kindle for navigating books with endnotes. Point stands about same-page annotation, diagrams, and weird formatting.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

david crosby posted:

Also, If the authors name looks shiny or the letters stick out in a neat textured way, then you can be sure that the book is trash.

My copy of Dracula has the shiny and raised letters

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Smoking Crow posted:

the_homemaster posted:

Doesn't really count as judging a book by its cover if it's part of the classical or modern canon.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I've never read it but IJ seems to be an internet meme where people who don't normally read literature finish it and then claim that they've achieved nirvana immediately following.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

THE PWNER posted:

I've never read it but IJ seems to be an internet meme where people who don't normally read literature finish it and then claim that they've achieved nirvana immediately following.

dont be silly no one finishes IJ

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I read about a third of it and felt like I had got everything out of it that I was going to get

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Mel Mudkiper posted:

dont be silly no one finishes IJ

*pretend to finish it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I read all of Infinite Jest in the hopes I would get an explanation for the opening and grew existentially horrified by the awareness there would be no resolution

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

Dracula is trash.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I was waiting for that

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

david crosby posted:

Dracula is trash.

this post was originally to contain me trolling people by saying that "dracula invented the found footage horror genre, and so we owe it praise for its conception of 'frankenstein's army' and 'apollo 18' alone", but then i did a quick search and found that several people have written sincere essays on precisely this topic and it made me more sad than upset.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Most people don't realize dracula is a bunch of letters and I think that's interesting

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Most people don't realize dracula is a bunch of letters and I think that's interesting

Same with Frankenstein.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Same with Frankenstein.

I thought Frankenstein was an extended flashback as a frame narrative

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I thought Frankenstein was an extended flashback as a frame narrative

It is letters from a ship captain to his cousin telling stories he heard from a deranged man claiming to be Dr. Frankenstein they picked up in the artic, and I think also diary entries from the deranged man. It is a novel-size game of Telephone between several questionable narrators.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you think about it, isn't every book a bunch of letters?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

It is letters from a ship captain to his cousin telling stories he heard from a deranged man claiming to be Dr. Frankenstein they picked up in the artic, and I think also diary entries from the deranged man. It is a novel-size game of Telephone between several questionable narrators.

Ah so like Heart of Darkness

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ah so like Heart of Darkness

Well, no, I'm pretty sure Heart of Darkness just uses the story-within-a-story as a framing device that justifies the flights of fancy of the first-person narrator (because a sailor telling stories in the dark is the best way for the reader to imagine the story being told, not as, like, Generation Kill); whereas the questions of authenticity and fact lend a lot of depth to Frankenstein; whereas in Dracula the letter/diary form works in the opposite way, to BUILD credibility; whereas in Pale Fire the autograph about the poem turns the author gradually into the protagonist; etc. etc.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
I think all books should be written as letters or stories within stories. Otherwise they don't make sense. How did the words even get on the page!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Moby Dick sucked because the ship sank at the end so how did the narrator even tell the story.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nanomashoes posted:

Moby Dick sucked because the ship sank at the end so how did the narrator even tell the story.

We don't even know the narrator's name! He says to call him Ishmael. What is that? A nickname? AmIright?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Nanomashoes posted:

Prosecutor: "'I alone am escaped to tell thee'? Well isn't that convenient. We're just supposed to take your word over this poor whale's?"

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

at the date posted:

Prosecutor: "'I alone am escaped to tell thee'? Well isn't that convenient. We're just supposed to take your word over this poor whale's?"

Early printings of the book accidentally left the epilogue out and it got some negative critical reviews because of it.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Franchescanado posted:

The letters are to his sister, and there are very few of them, at the beginning and end of the novel. The bulk of it is just the story that Frankenstein tells him. It's a standard frame narrative for the time.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

And in Finnegans Wake the letters are the characters

And Leon's getting larrrrger

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

this post was originally to contain me trolling people by saying that "dracula invented the found footage horror genre, and so we owe it praise for its conception of 'frankenstein's army' and 'apollo 18' alone", but then i did a quick search and found that several people have written sincere essays on precisely this topic and it made me more sad than upset.

seeing how positively ppl react to super mecha godzilla 'analyzing' marvel comic book movies has made me intensely disgusted, which I feel is similar to the phenomenon that you're describing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wait... So does that make Dracula an epistolary?