Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I objectively and sincerely want Chris Christie to put a gun in his loving mouth and pull the trigger and if it could be on television so I could TiVo it that would be cool

That would real bad, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I objectively and sincerely want Chris Christie to put a gun in his loving mouth and pull the trigger and if it could be on television so I could TiVo it that would be cool

No, he dies like gluttony from se7en, it's already prophesied.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

[KellyAnne] DONALD! DONALD! IXNAY ON THE USSIARE HOLY gently caress!

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/792908651581235200
hahaha, right after the 'fbi has proof that trump and putin are buddies' rumors start going around, too

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Man, I can't believe Trump is still talking about that loving Mexican border wall.

I just over heard his most recent speech and it's still apparently thing he actually wants to do. I thought that talking point was quietly dropped because it's a completely irrational and unfeasible thing to do, but he's STILL ranting about it and it honestly kind of blows my mind.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Ray posted:

Obama is right; America is doing better socially than it ever has. Okay. Cool. I agree with that. And?
One more: it's doing better than almost everyone else has done yet.

And? Well, a lot of things follow from that. For example, it's a cause to celebrate, and reinforce, what has brought us here. Realize the road we're on, how far we've come, and that we should keep on traveling - go further - it as it seems to be working.

And of course, complain whenever people argue we can stop, or should revert.

thetoughestbean posted:

What's interesting to me (and I agree with this country being founded on racism and genocide) is how little I hear about how it wasn't exactly the Americans who first came in, started slavery, and in general, hosed everything up. Columbus was an Italian working for the Spanish, African slaves were first brought by the Spanish, what would become America was colonized and ruled by the Spanish, French, and English.

I'm absolutely not saying that America is blameless, we definitely carried on the terrible, terrible, tradition, and Americans do have the responsibility to improve the lives of minority citizens (and non-citizens, for that matter), but it gets frustrating to me that our terrible legacy is a uniquely, well, American one.
Europeans easily have sufficient stuff to be ashamed off without taking some of your blame you know ...

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Northjayhawk posted:

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/792906005965180928

oh, gently caress! Where are we gonna put them?!? I guess the high plains and/or the midwest has plenty of room? Maybe Wyoming, Montana, and western Kansas though, we don't need many more people here in Iowa.

There are some logistics problems with this proposal

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

gfsincere posted:

stop angryposting you goony gently caress.

on the contrary thinking about that makes me very happy

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

gfsincere posted:

Being intolerant of subtle racism is being a jerk.

That's not at all what I said.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"Put on the Oculus headset and you can see what it is like to sit on a real CNN panel!"

"Sir... sir... please stop trying to throttle the digital Jeffrey Lord"

Maybe they should incorporate VR just so people could do that. My wife refers to him as "that Andrew Jackson lookin' motherfucker!"

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't care if you're trying to reach out and convert people or not. I'm trying to convince you that you shouldn't discard symbols because facts are less important than narrative in achieving any kind of cultural change, rightwards or leftwards.

If that qualifies as racist to you then oh well I guess :shrug:

Trying to convince a black person that their perspective on something is wrong, through patronising language and calling them out for getting angry at racist bullshit ...

is racist.

Since you kinda asked.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

bhsman posted:

no actually it would be pretty awesome

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

I'm glad he noticed the typo before fully committing to the C.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
man, I'm still gonna vote for Hillary because Trump might kill the world, but I swear to god, this 650 million immigrants plan is so bad, if the Republican were reasonable, I'd vote GOP!

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

speng31b posted:

No, he dies like gluttony from se7en, it's already prophesied.

He dies from a broken heart, a lover scorned. If only Trump noticed him. He could have been vp :smith:

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I want Bruce Springsteen to invite Christie live on stage and then call him a worthless piece of trash and encourage the fans to throw fruit at him

On The Majority Report they've mentioned several times their fantasy is for Bruce Springsteen to be deputized and to be the one to actually arrest Christie when the time comes. It would be pretty glorious.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bhsman posted:

Christie would put the gun in his mouth, but then in his manic state he'd think it was a donut and try to eat it.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Crazy Ted posted:

[KellyAnne] DONALD! DONALD! IXNAY ON THE USSIA-RAY HOLY gently caress!

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/792908651581235200

Watching America become Putin's new toy is going to suck

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Squeegy posted:

There are some logistics problems with this proposal

Eh, how hard can it be to move the entire population of Latin America plus Canada?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Squeegy posted:

While I think your issue with the symbol is legitimate I don't agree with you trying to take away the comfort that it brings others for whom its message resonates. That's where this argument started, not from a self-congratulatory poo poo White People Say place.

You told Mel Mudkipper that you wanted White people to start living up to the ideals the country claims it's founded on. I would argue that finding the message of the Statue of Liberty inspirational is vital to that, because regardless of the circumstances of the actual object, the poem is unambiguously positive.

Once again, I wasn't trying to take away poo poo. Someone saying "hey that thing you think is so nice and awesome isn't viewed that way by some people of x group for y reason" doesn't mean it supercedes your feelings.

The fact that a bunch of goony white fucks got so angry that a black person doesn't view their symbol of hope and freedom in the same light is indicative of the fact that THEY want me to change my opinion to the default white one and were dogpiling me for daring to step out of line and call out some poo poo.

Seems like a whole bunch of white people cannot handle the fact that its their actions and the actions of their forefathers that causes other people to not revere their symbols of circlejerk, and they absolutely cannot let that stand, but they also absolutely don't want to be better, so they lash out at those who call them out on their bullshit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

gfsincere posted:

Aww, gently caress you too, with respect.

And once again, how the gently caress is that any comfort to the black people that are constantly getting hosed over by the white people that categorically praise the Statue and its ideals?

You keep trying to say the Statue represents ideals, and I'm telling you for others it represents reality, and no one gives a poo poo about your or that symbol's ideals if you're still gonna be a racist shitbag at the end of the day.

You've had 100+ years to attempt to live up to those ideals and let me tell you from the perspective of a PoC that has to live with yall everyday: you've categorically failed and looking to the Statue of Liberty looks like a circlejerk about how awesome yall think you are, and the response of calling people "morons" who call you out on that fact proves even more that you and the symbol are full of poo poo.

Honestly I can't think of many right wingers that praise the Statue. They mostly just don't talk about it, forget it exists, or deflect when it's brought up.

This is to say nothing of the fact that, in the bolded, I honestly can't tell who you're talking about. Northerners? Southerners? Californians? New Yorkers? Who, exactly, is this vague personified America you're railing against and how does it work? It sounds like you subscribe to some weird version of the Great Man view of history where nations operate according to the whims of a single mind.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Northjayhawk posted:

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/792906005965180928

oh, gently caress! Where are we gonna put them?!? I guess the high plains and/or the midwest has plenty of room? Maybe Wyoming, Montana, and western Kansas though, we don't need many more people here in Iowa.

I can't help but think that the more pertianant question is '650 million people from where?'

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
When our new steel queen, the dread abuela takes power, she needs to make Russia regret ever having considered interfering in this election so that they never loving do it again.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nessus posted:

Yeah there's been this weird downplaying of this by the right wing noise machine. I wonder why.

Because they know Comey's got nothing and they don't want to be a part of anything that's about to happen on Monday or going forward.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Northjayhawk posted:

When our new steel queen, the dread abuela takes power, she needs to make Russia regret ever having considered interfering in this election so that they never loving do it again.

What actions would you like her to take against Russia?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This was the best I could do.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Northjayhawk posted:

I dunno, letting their economy collapse under crippling sanctions and incompetent leadership still sounds good

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Trying to convince a black person that their perspective on something is wrong, through patronising language and calling them out for getting angry at racist bullshit ...

is racist.

Since you kinda asked.

Sorry friend, but you don't get to play that game when I've repeatedly acknowledged we're both working from the same set of assumptions regarding what historical fact actually is.

This isn't about perspective being wrong. He's correct about events. It's about where do we go from there.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Cingulate posted:

One more: it's doing better than almost everyone else has done yet.

And? Well, a lot of things follow from that. For example, it's a cause to celebrate, and reinforce, what has brought us here. Realize the road we're on, how far we've come, and that we should keep on traveling - go further - it as it seems to be working.

And of course, complain whenever people argue we can stop, or should revert.
Europeans easily have sufficient stuff to be ashamed off without taking some of your blame you know ...

And you do realize that 40% of the country, more specifically the majority of white people in this country want to do just that, so you trying to counter my complaints with "well Obama said..." while not living here and having no idea what the hell you're talking about, and basically thinking your opinion on race relations in America has any sort of validity or is equal to mine is a prime example of white supremacy and racist thinking?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tricky D posted:

I can't help but think that the more pertianant question is '650 million people from where?'

The entire middle east combined barely even has a third of that population, hilariously enough.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Star Man posted:

Nah, at the Bud Dwyer suicide someone tried to convince him not do it

That would not happen if Christie tried to off himself

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nah, at the Bud Dwyer suicide someone tried to convince him not do it

That would not happen if Christie tried to off himself

I tried :(

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Star Man posted:

Hahahahah

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

GalacticAcid posted:

What actions would you like her to take against Russia?

This, except make the sanctions even more crippling and let Putin know why

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I dunno, letting their economy collapse under crippling sanctions and incompetent leadership still sounds good

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
It's funny how Comey gave himself just enough rope to hang himself with. Now that he's pulled a totally partisan move that's seemingly universally loathed, Hillary can (and is) turning the narrative that the FBI was unfairly targeting her all together (or at least close to it).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I appreciate it very much actually

Its beautiful

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well this is a good sign:

https://twitter.com/jimwallis/status/792911192125796352

Sorry to be a walking Twitter feed but this weekend has been bananas.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Well this is a good sign:

https://twitter.com/jimwallis/status/792911192125796352

Sorry to be a walking Twitter feed but this weekend has been bananas.

Cardboard Box is still prob'd so someone has to do it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

gfsincere posted:

Once again, I wasn't trying to take away poo poo. Someone saying "hey that thing you think is so nice and awesome isn't viewed that way by some people of x group for y reason" doesn't mean it supercedes your feelings.

The fact that a bunch of goony white fucks got so angry that a black person doesn't view their symbol of hope and freedom in the same light is indicative of the fact that THEY want me to change my opinion to the default white one and were dogpiling me for daring to step out of line and call out some poo poo.

Seems like a whole bunch of white people cannot handle the fact that its their actions and the actions of their forefathers that causes other people to not revere their symbols of circlejerk, and they absolutely cannot let that stand, but they also absolutely don't want to be better, so they lash out at those who call them out on their bullshit.

Your response to the guy who posted about how he was homeless once and the statue's words about the Mother of Exiles and taking in the homeless meant so much to him was "It's a white woman welcoming other white people to a country they stole. What's inspirational about that?" (slightly paraphrased)

Regardless of what other people have said to you in response, I don't see how you can claim that that wasn't an attempt to put a damper on his appreciation for the symbol.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

Obama is right; America is doing better socially than it ever has. Okay. Cool. I agree with that. And?

We who? Rewrite how? I don't think anyone has trouble reading the words. The myth isn't being lived up to now. So what do you mean?

Leftists in general in America. I live in the deep south so I'm constantly surrounded by people with racist beliefs. I'm more interested in changing hearts and minds because it's not like they wake up in the morning and think "gently caress black people" (mostly anyway, the KKK exist so obviously some do), they simply live in an echo chamber and are working from a false set of base assumptions about economics and history.

So I have to find ways to argue against that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Agrajag posted:

Watching America become Putin's new toy is going to suck
Ha ha, that would require his puppet to win

• Locked thread