Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I don't know about y'all but...

https://twitter.com/missokistic/status/792574248380305408

I'm suddenly very aroused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

gfsincere posted:

Good post.

And yes, I have introduced a good number of them to my ignore list. The irony is that Captain Oblivious doesn't realize he's on it.

Is it ironic if his handle is literally Captain Obvious?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Jumping in to say that I don't think that the Statue of Liberty is a symbol of white supremacy or a symbol of racism. It's a symbol of good will toward all people, a promise that our country has very often failed to live up to. It is an important symbol because it drives some of us to do better, and an alternate reality where the statue of liberty does not exist would be worse off

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crazy Ted posted:

:bernin:

Those are some quality masks.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

thetoughestbean posted:

Is it ironic if his handle is literally Captain Obvious?

Captain Oblivious, but no you're right by definition that can't be ironic. That's appropriate.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Majorian posted:

I don't think she'll be blacklisted, but I think her days of actually managing campaigns are probably over. She'll get a Trump News talking head gig out of this.

gently caress. I forgot about Trump News. Now that's a thing that shouldn't exist.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

My sexuality has never been more confused.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

freckle posted:

Those are some quality masks.
They are, but yet the Uncle Sam tank top is what really does it for me here

Majorian posted:

My sexuality has never been more confused.
I would gladly go all in on a four-way for freedom.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Crazy Ted posted:

Jesus :nms:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I have gotten to the point where I am sick of hearing the word "email". I wish there was a real-life word filter so that every time someone said "email" it came out as something else. Like "horse-cock dildo".

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

speng31b posted:

You'd think the same thing about any POC or female republican but that implies there's any sort of logic to it other than being a machine driven by racism and sexism. The only thing female or minority Rs seem to be able to do to keep themselves relevant is by competing to be a worst/more populist/fascist idiot than the next guy, and at the end of the day there's just no competing for that position with someone like Trump.

You forgetting the official postmortems that came out of 2008/2012 where the party officially acknowledged they needed to do exactly the opposite of Trump, and couldn't stop it anyways? It's driven by the nature of the thing, not the logic of what it should be.

You're confusing politicians with operatives.

Majorian posted:

I don't think she'll be blacklisted, but I think her days of actually managing campaigns are probably over. She'll get a Trump News talking head gig out of this.

Meh she'll probably go back to the talking head gig she had with one of the major networks to keep her profile up while also maintaing some godawful American Patriots Family's Freedom Super PAC until 2018.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Crazy Ted posted:

How many states is the Lemon Party on the ballot?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

GalacticAcid posted:

How many states is the Lemon Party on the ballot?

Not enough, apparently.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I don't really have anything constructive to say except that I think gfsincere is a good poster. Symbols don't mean the same thing for everyone. How is this controversial? I mean, do most of us like this part of the Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"? Probably. But it shouldn't be controversial to say that this was penned by some racists. And if that is true it shouldn't be controversial to say that some people might not view that line as some super awesome quote of hope. I mean, gently caress.

Do I like the Statue of Liberty. Yea. But I am also 50% Italian American and 50% Irish American. So, my family was the huddled masses that America (reluctantly) accepted. Do I like the DoI? Ya. But that is cause I think it has a good message despite what the original authors intended.

Anyway, I have written too much and haven't said anything constructive except I think gfsincere is cool and good even if she he rubs people the wrong way. gently caress, she he might be cool and good because she he rubs people the wrong way. I don't know. I just know that when people of color come in here and post the thread tends to handle that poo poo in the worst way possible and it is real goddamned upsetting.

At the risk of seeming the wrong kind of woke I want to offer up this poem/song that I think is relevant to people seeing symbols differently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtBy_ppG4hY

edit: fixed the gender pronouns.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 31, 2016

speng31b
May 8, 2010

farraday posted:

You're confusing politicians with operatives.

I don't think she'll be out of the game as an operative, but I do think she has to be careful not to piss off the populist movement behind Trump or even in that capacity she's going to have some trouble.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Pastrymancy posted:

Romney cancelled his staff's credit cards before they could get home from the watch party in 2012!

I'm not a fan of Romney but why would the staff need campaign credit cards at that point?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Presto posted:

I have gotten to the point where I am sick of hearing the word "email". I wish there was a real-life word filter so that every time someone said "email" it came out as something else. Like "horse-cock dildo".

Would you say you are sick and tired of hearing about her drat emails?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

They are, but yet the Uncle Sam tank top is what really does it for me here

There's something about that thing that read to me as a bib until you mentioned it was a tank top.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I'm not a fan of Romney but why would the staff need campaign credit cards at that point?
So you can order a shitload of Hentai on Mitt's credit cards and say he wanted you to do it.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

alpha_destroy posted:

I don't really have anything constructive to say except that I think gfsincere is a good poster. Symbols don't mean the same thing for everyone. How is this controversial? I mean, do most of us like this part of the Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"? Probably. But it shouldn't be controversial to say that this was penned by some racists. And if that is true it shouldn't be controversial to say that some people might not view that line as some super awesome quote of hope. I mean, gently caress.

Do I like the Statue of Liberty. Yea. But I am also 50% Italian American and 50% Irish American. So, my family was the huddled masses that America (reluctantly) accepted. Do I like the DoI? Ya. But that is cause I think it has a good message despite what the original authors intended.

Anyway, I have written too much and haven't said anything constructive except I think gfsincere is cool and good even if she rubs people the wrong way. gently caress, she might be cool and good because she rubs people the wrong way. I don't know. I just know that when people of color come in here and post the thread tends to handle that poo poo in the worst way possible and it is real goddamned upsetting.

At the risk of seeming the wrong kind of woke I want to offer up this poem/song that I think is relevant to people seeing symbols differently:

I'm a black dude, it's Tiny Brontosaurus and Koalas March that are black women, and thanks.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Spatula City posted:

I wouldn't chalk up the most recent argument as a leftist circular firing squad. The civil rights movement has been tied to progressivism, but they're uneasy allies, and that's really what this argument seems to be showing. The Democratic primary was worse. I don't know if they were trolls, but a few people were pushing pretty hard "no war but class war" and calling civil rights issues "distractions" perpetrated by the corporations to occupy the progressive movement's time. I think most of the people now posting in USPOL are some shade of progressive, but some are much less interested in civil rights than others, and many have spent absolutely no effort learning about their own privilege and trying to avoid doing the lovely things that white people do to non-white people all the time.

also, gfsincere, if you don't think those people deserve respect (and I don't necessarily disagree), the Ignore list is a useful tool. If all you're going to do is insult them because they're not worth having a discussion with, why are you still responding to them? DON'T FEED THE RACISTS. They get off on specious arguments and on irritating people. Don't give them the satisfaction.
The circular firing squad is necessary because leftism isn't an ideology it's a testing ground for really stupid progressive ideas and some good ones.

gfsincere seems to generalize about people a whole loving lot which doesn't make it convincing when he says that his personal opinions are important because he is a minority. There are minority Trump supporters and we don't need to value his insight any more than theirs.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Spacebump posted:

It is generally accepted practice for your employer to pay for your travel expenses if you travel for work. Romney left a bunch of paid staffers stranded without the means to get home by cancelling their ability to pay through the campaign (who should pay for their traveling expenses). It was abnormal to conventional campaign practices in years past and uniquely petty and lovely of them to do.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

alpha_destroy posted:

That's a real darn good protest song/poem/piece/whatever

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

It is generally accepted practice for your employer to pay for your travel expenses if you travel for work. Romney left a bunch of paid staffers stranded without the means to get home by cancelling their ability to pay through the campaign (who should pay for their traveling expenses). It was abnormal to conventional campaign practices in years past and uniquely petty and lovely of them to do.
Well Willard made his money in Hedge Funds so would you really have expected him to not do something like that?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Crazy Ted posted:

Honestly disappointed the chick with the Bernie mask didn't have a sickle and hammer anywhere on her, otherwise A++++.

I also really wanna know what her other buttons say.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

gfsincere posted:

I'm a black dude, it's Tiny Brontosaurus and Koalas March that are black women, and thanks.

poo poo, sorry I had he, but then the "gf" got me tripped up. Sorry. I'm bad at remembering who everyone is... But ya, my point still stands.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Mercrom posted:

The circular firing squad is necessary because leftism isn't an ideology it's a testing ground for really stupid progressive ideas and some good ones.

gfsincere seems to generalize about people a whole loving lot which doesn't make it convincing when he says that his personal opinions are important because he is a minority. There are minority Trump supporters and we don't need to value his insight any more than theirs.

Tell it to your buddies at the Klan meeting..

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Lightning Knight posted:

Also depending on the state you're working in outright illegal.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Squeegy posted:

Honestly disappointed the chick with the Bernie mask didn't have a sickle and hammer anywhere on her, otherwise A++++.

She's got Che on one boob and...I think an Anarchy symbol on the other?

That's gotta be at least as good as a hammer and sickle.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

If they were flying, they probably should have had their travel plans booked before. If it was just a cab ride home for the night, lol that's a non-issue. It's lovely, but waiting to book airfare until the day of travel doesn't scream responsible.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Ok I've avoided weighing in on this but I think the time has come for my Statue of Liberty take. Here it is.

The Statue of Liberty is for tourists and eyyy im walkin here.

Thanks folks.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Spacebump posted:

If they were flying, they probably should have had their travel plans booked before. If it was just a cab ride home for the night, lol that's a non-issue. It's lovely, but waiting to book airfare until the day of travel doesn't scream responsible.

Workers shouldn't be punished for the petty shittiness of their bosses. You shouldn't have to plan ahead for the off-chance your boss is a prick.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

If you zoom in far enough (why did I do this...) she's got a DUMP TRUMP and I think an anti gun violence button as well.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

Workers shouldn't be punished for the petty shiftiness of their bosses. You shouldn't have to plan ahead for the off-chance your boss is a prick.

I don't know as much about national campaigns, but state and county level ones that I've been around almost never pay for staffer's gas. That's the reality of working on many political campaigns.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Yeah, because on election day, when they still thought they might win, they definitely knew where they were heading the next day.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Lightning Knight posted:

Workers shouldn't be punished for the petty shiftiness of their bosses. You shouldn't have to plan ahead for the off-chance your boss is a prick.

Yeah but they were working for Mitt "I Shut Down Companies for Fun and Profit" Romney.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think supporting trump and thinking the statue of liberty sucks are on slightly different wavelengths. just my imho.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Captain Oblivious posted:

Think it's a weed leaf, not an anarchy A.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

GalacticAcid posted:

Ok I've avoided weighing in on this but I think the time has come for my Statue of Liberty take. Here it is.

The Statue of Liberty is for tourists and eyyy im walkin here.

Thanks folks.

Lady Lib is a giant green lady. What's not to like about a giant green lady?

Spacebump posted:

I don't know as much about national campaigns, but state and county level ones that I've been around almost never pay for staffer's gas. That's the reality of working on many political campaigns.

I can confirm that even Hillary's campaign doesn't compensate for staffer's gasoline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Spacebump posted:

So it's like working for a start up. Why get paid when you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you helped change the country for the better!

• Locked thread