Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I know the general conversation has moved on but I am playing Color Splash and not only is it very fun but the music is great and the art style is outstanding. I want a soundtrack so bad.

Color Splash is really, really good looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'd say that playing Deadly Premonition is better than watching it. Experiencing it interactively adds to the whole thing a lot imo. The only thing that does suck is when you get the bug where it crashes during some cutscene on the PC.

Otherwise it's such a wonderfully weird package with great atmosphere that I could forgive it its shortcomings. You definitely have to have a taste for some B-movie goodness though and not everybody digs that.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 31, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So I beat Final Fantasy Legend today and remembered two things.

One, the reason I never beat it back in the day was because I traded my Game Boy Pocket into EB Games and 6 games I had so I could get a sick rear end Game Boy Advance at launch with one of their trade-in deals and Two, that there is a comedian that made a joke about the last boss of the game being a tiny Amish man.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

I'd say that playing Deadly Premonition is better than watching it. Experiencing it interactively adds to the whole thing a lot imo. The only thing that does suck is when you get the bug where it crashes during some cutscene on the PC.

Otherwise it's such a wonderfully weird package with great atmosphere that I could forgive it its shortcomings. You definitely have to have a taste for some B-movie goodness though and not everybody digs that.
I'd say everybody should at least play it once to see if they like it/can put up with it, not because of the goofy story or characters but because the gameplay isn't that great and they start you off with a combat sequence where they really shouldn't have. It's more like and adventure game then anything else and really nice and relaxed between sections.

If you don't like the gameplay though then just watch it because it's fantastic.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Phantasium posted:

So I beat Final Fantasy Legend today and remembered two things.

One, the reason I never beat it back in the day was because I traded my Game Boy Pocket into EB Games and 6 games I had so I could get a sick rear end Game Boy Advance at launch with one of their trade-in deals and Two, that there is a comedian that made a joke about the last boss of the game being a tiny Amish man.

Ooh, I want to hear that one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

It's the discussion that the LP subforum shits itself over every few months: What is a good LP?

I think there are a lot of things that can make a good LP. It is just that what makes a good LP is not the same as what makes a good look at the game's strengths and flaws. I don't think it's wrong to have what amounts to the MST3K Of Video Games or whatnot but it isn't what you should watch to get a real feel for the game. (And likewise it's worth acknowledging that for flawed games someone who really genuinely enjoys it can make it look a lot better than it would be to play on its own, like Resident Evil 6 which is phenominal to watch a good player in but can be awkward and awful to play if you don't grasp the mechanics.)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I mean it's very close to podcasting. You might like the silly stuff or the informative stuff or even both. And like podcasts their is good and bad in each.

What saying is i would watch to a Scott Auckerman lp.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I make good let's plays, I like showing people why I think games with mixed reviews (The Evil Within, Dead Space 3) can be enjoyable.

edit: Although my buddies and I did spend the last third of Dead Space 3 making GBS threads on the game because it starts out great and then just goes to absolute bananas crazytown dogshit right at the end, which is a shame. But it was good-natured ribbing, because I do still like the game a lot regardless.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I know the general conversation has moved on but I am playing Color Splash and not only is it very fun but the music is great and the art style is outstanding. I want a soundtrack so bad.

I'm always down to talk about Color Splash

Adding a World Map was a good idea and I'm still kinda surprised it was dropped after SMRPG until now

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Ooh, I want to hear that one.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/if6ava/comedy-central-presents-video-games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Looper posted:

I'm always down to talk about Color Splash

Adding a World Map was a good idea and I'm still kinda surprised it was dropped after SMRPG until now

its in sticker star

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

its in sticker star

that sounds like a fake made up game

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light
I've thought about doing let's plays of lesser known and underappreciated games, but the silly accent really gets in the way when you're trying to be informative.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

I've thought about doing let's plays of lesser known and underappreciated games, but the silly accent really gets in the way when you're trying to be informative.

how silly we talking

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think there are a lot of things that can make a good LP. It is just that what makes a good LP is not the same as what makes a good look at the game's strengths and flaws. I don't think it's wrong to have what amounts to the MST3K Of Video Games or whatnot but it isn't what you should watch to get a real feel for the game. (And likewise it's worth acknowledging that for flawed games someone who really genuinely enjoys it can make it look a lot better than it would be to play on its own, like Resident Evil 6 which is phenomenal to watch a good player in but can be awkward and awful to play if you don't grasp the mechanics.)

I agree that informative videos will definitely give you a better picture but LPs shouldn't be your only impressions of a game even if they're informative. I'd say Reviews and no commentary videos will do a way better job on that.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

CJacobs posted:

I make good let's plays, I like showing people why I think games with mixed reviews (The Evil Within, Dead Space 3) can be enjoyable.

edit: Although my buddies and I did spend the last third of Dead Space 3 making GBS threads on the game because it starts out great and then just goes to absolute bananas crazytown dogshit right at the end, which is a shame. But it was good-natured ribbing, because I do still like the game a lot regardless.

DS3 is a fantastic game. It's a horrible sequel to to dead space, but it's a legit game on it's own.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't get our Playstation 2 to work with our new TV. I bought an HDMI converter with pretty good reviews, but it keeps saying "No input." I had promised to play through Kingdom Hearts because the wife wanted me to, and they we were going to play through Final Fantasy 7 next. I'll try getting it to work some more tomorrow, but now I am getting aggravated and might go back to binge watching The Wire instead.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

I can't get our Playstation 2 to work with our new TV. I bought an HDMI converter with pretty good reviews, but it keeps saying "No input." I had promised to play through Kingdom Hearts because the wife wanted me to, and they we were going to play through Final Fantasy 7 next. I'll try getting it to work some more tomorrow, but now I am getting aggravated and might go back to binge watching The Wire instead.

are you sure the component cables work?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

are you sure the component cables work?

yeah, it was working fine on our old TV. the converter is just a dongle that plugs into where the a/v would go and connects to an HDMI cable (i'm also sure that cable works - i use it for the Wii when i want to play gamecube games or for my laptop a lot). it has a weird USB cord that comes with it that's labelled "optional" that some of the reviews say you have to use, though, so that'll be the next step. i may also have to change the PS2's settings, which i THINK i already did, but it's really tough to tell when you're doing it blind.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Get a divorce, if your wife is trying to get you to play kingdom hearts she hates you already

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everybody how was everyone's weekend?

I hope everybody had a good weekend. If you didn't, well, hopefully your week or next weekend are good to make up for it! :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

FirstAidKite posted:

I hope everybody had a good weekend. If you didn't, well, hopefully your week or next weekend are good to make up for it! :D

I felt tired and sick for most of this weekend alas, but I had a great time playing Stardew Valley while sipping hot cider, so it was ultimately a good weekend. :D I'm looking forward to Halloween tomorrow as I'm going to treat myself to some of the Halloween stuff on sale, and best of all: we live in a rural area so after we get like one or two trick or treaters the rest of the candy is ours and I want those twix bars. :D

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Not sure how relevant this is to your situation but they recently announced those PS3 KH compilations are coming to PS4 in one package.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/10/27/kingdom-hearts-hd-1-5-2-5-remix-announced-playstation-4/

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I felt tired and sick for most of this weekend alas, but I had a great time playing Stardew Valley while sipping hot cider, so it was ultimately a good weekend. :D I'm looking forward to Halloween tomorrow as I'm going to treat myself to some of the Halloween stuff on sale, and best of all: we live in a rural area so after we get like one or two trick or treaters the rest of the candy is ours and I want those twix bars. :D

:( I'm sorry you're feeling ill, but hey, I've heard good things about stardew valley and hot cider is always nice, so I'm glad you had some fun :) Twix bars own, I should get a twix again some time, I haven't had one in years. That and nutrageous bars are my jam.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

I played the Division, and Star Wars the Old Republic. Currently looking forward to Final Fantasy XV, and then Yakuza 0. I was reading up on the Yakuza games this weekend and I wish I had played 4 and 5 when I still had my PS3. I got them for free with PS+.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

FirstAidKite posted:

:( I'm sorry you're feeling ill, but hey, I've heard good things about stardew valley and hot cider is always nice, so I'm glad you had some fun :) Twix bars own, I should get a twix again some time, I haven't had one in years. That and nutrageous bars are my jam.

My favorite candy of all time is the caramel-creams by goetze's but we went with a mixed bag of twix+m&ms (+peanut)+snickers and it's suitably indulgent for me! Absolutely no redeeming value whatsoever for the things but my god they make me feel happy and that's all you could really want from a candy I think.

Stardew Valley is just as good imho - I got my rhubarb and cauliflower crops in and made a fortune so I've upgraded my house for the final time and bought a catalogue so everything is outer space wallpaper and flooring. :D

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I played the Division, and Star Wars the Old Republic. Currently looking forward to Final Fantasy XV, and then Yakuza 0. I was reading up on the Yakuza games this weekend and I wish I had played 4 and 5 when I still had my PS3. I got them for free with PS+.

How's the Division doing, I haven't heard anything about it since the release.

Are you not able to play on your ps3 anymore?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

FirstAidKite posted:

Was p alright. Finally got to play games on my new PC. It took me a while to plunge into SSD and holy poo poo do things load stupid fast.

I used to have to wait a minute for the pc to finish loading. Now it's just like.. 5 to 10 seconds.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

I've had a lot of fun playing Titanfall all weekend, haven't gotten this into a shooter since Splatoon last year.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

How's the Division doing, I haven't heard anything about it since the release.

Are you not able to play on your ps3 anymore?

It's at my folks house. I'm not sure I want to ask them to ship it to me, probably not worth the effort.

The Division is a good game now and better at what it was originally trying to be; a loot collecting action RPG. The way loot is obtained is much better now and caters to all players no matter how they want to play. You can reach the gear score cap entirely solo and most players do it that way.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Shindragon posted:

Was p alright. Finally got to play games on my new PC. It took me a while to plunge into SSD and holy poo poo do things load stupid fast.

I used to have to wait a minute for the pc to finish loading. Now it's just like.. 5 to 10 seconds.

Noice :)

In Training posted:

I've had a lot of fun playing Titanfall all weekend, haven't gotten this into a shooter since Splatoon last year.

What kind of shooter is Titanfall anyway, is it one of those hide-behind-cover types or the really really arcadey fast-paced action-oriented types or more rpg-like or what?

e:

I said come in! posted:

It's at my folks house. I'm not sure I want to ask them to ship it to me, probably not worth the effort.

The Division is a good game now and better at what it was originally trying to be; a loot collecting action RPG. The way loot is obtained is much better now and caters to all players no matter how they want to play. You can reach the gear score cap entirely solo and most players do it that way.

Ah. Fair enough.

Does the division still have that thing where players had to wait in lines, cause that was pretty funny

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

titanfall is a grapplehook'n acrobatic wall run speedy sliding shooter with big old robo's to jump in a few times per round. its cool

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

titanfall is a grapplehook'n acrobatic wall run speedy sliding shooter with big old robo's to jump in a few times per round. its cool

I'm impressed with the single player campaign, too. Some cool set pieces and mechanics in it and you have a robot bro.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Oh, so it's kinda like uhh...dying light, but in the future and with mechs? And without zombies?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

eu4 is starting to feel like seeing the matrix code instead of cool alt history stories and i think i'm on the edge of burning out. but then in my ireland game i saw flanders et al actually break from burgundy and it was a what oh man moment

also i don't think i really like ironman in eu4 as much as something like xcom. you lose a province, you can get it back. your army is wiped, spend a few years rebuilding. white peace, try again later. nothing feels like permanent, game changing decisions like the results of a botched xcom mission. eu4 ironman is just a slower, bumpier road and kind of a hindrance to why i'm there (i'm there to establish the scottish new world colony of Dagless, where true highlanders can show dignity and courage)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh, so it's kinda like uhh...dying light, but in the future and with mechs? And without zombies?

heh yeah sorta, but imagine if the guns handled like they do in cod modern warfare

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

good year for grapple hooks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Titanfall 2 is pretty fun. My biggest complaint about it is that it's a game based around giant robots where your single player partner is a giant robot and yet giant robots are the least interesting part of the entire experience. Even in the single player campaign the giant robot parts are the worst part. Not even bad just "I wish I was time travelling against instead."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

eu4 is starting to feel like seeing the matrix code instead of cool alt history stories and i think i'm on the edge of burning out. but then in my ireland game i saw flanders et al actually break from burgundy and it was a what oh man moment

also i don't think i really like ironman in eu4 as much as something like xcom. you lose a province, you can get it back. your army is wiped, spend a few years rebuilding. white peace, try again later. nothing feels like permanent, game changing decisions like the results of a botched xcom mission. eu4 ironman is just a slower, bumpier road and kind of a hindrance to why i'm there (i'm there to establish the scottish new world colony of Dagless, where true highlanders can show dignity and courage)

Yeah but you can only get cheevos on ironman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

when i do something cool or funny i draw + name my own little achievement and pin it to my eu4 corkboard

• Locked thread