Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Captain Oblivious posted:

Like or dislike is not a concept relevant to the argument being made.

I don't care if you're trying to reach out and convert people or not. I'm trying to convince you that you shouldn't discard symbols because facts are less important than narrative in achieving any kind of cultural change, rightwards or leftwards.

If that qualifies as racist to you then oh well I guess :shrug:

sorry if i used 'like' as glib shorthand for telling people it's imperative they parade under symbols they find hollow because ~~~*~it's just leaving narrative power on the table, man~~~~*~

It's no less a trash argument.

e.

lookin' good, new page :3:

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

remusclaw posted:

Yeah, because on election day, when they still thought they might win, they definitely knew where they were heading the next day.

You don't move to DC the day after the election. It's not like most staffers except the higher level ones would need to be headed anywhere with Mitt. In reality it's not like anyone from the campaign needed to go anywhere with Mitt because LOL he was terrible.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Spacebump posted:

I don't know as much about national campaigns, but state and county level ones that I've been around almost never pay for staffer's gas. That's the reality of working on many political campaigns.

I dunno. Someone posted a story last time this came up explaining that it was unprecedented in relation to other modern campaigns and uniquely lovely of them to do.

Admiral Ray posted:

Yeah but they were working for Mitt "I Shut Down Companies for Fun and Profit" Romney.

Romney is still a shitbird and to blame for making GBS threads on his employees.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

She's got Che on one boob and...I think an Anarchy symbol on the other?

That's gotta be at least as good as a hammer and sickle.

I am now fairly sure that's an anarchy symbol with the A replaced with a marijuana leaf. So :perfect:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

quote:

EXCLUSIVE: SECOND UPDATE #JewSA Nazi for Trump Likes Include "Jews Did 9/11" and "#Putin Says Obama Created ISIS"

2016 please just never ever end

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Spacebump posted:

You don't move to DC the day after the election. It's not like most staffers except the higher level ones would need to be headed anywhere with Mitt.

You also aren't necessarily going home the day after if you win, whereas if you lose, what's the point in sticking around?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Mercrom posted:

The circular firing squad is necessary because leftism isn't an ideology it's a testing ground for really stupid progressive ideas and some good ones.

gfsincere seems to generalize about people a whole loving lot which doesn't make it convincing when he says that his personal opinions are important because he is a minority. There are minority Trump supporters and we don't need to value his insight any more than theirs.

Yeah boo on me for taking the words and actions of white people for hundreds of years and historical facts into account. Yep, all generalization with no basis in fact. You're right on the ball there chief, especially with the "a PoCs view on things should be valued at the same level as a PoC Trump supporter", because who would want us darkies messing up this traditionally white space, amirite?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

GalacticAcid posted:

Ok I've avoided weighing in on this but I think the time has come for my Statue of Liberty take. Here it is.

The Statue of Liberty is for tourists and eyyy im walkin here.

Thanks folks.

Eyyy, I'm postin' 'ere!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Will this actually have repercussions?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/10/30/former_bush_ethics_lawyer_richard_painter_files_complaint_against_fbi_director.html

quote:

The former chief ethics lawyer at the White House during George W. Bush’s presidency has filed an ethics complaint against FBI Director James Comey. In an op-ed published in the New York Times on Sunday, Richard W. Painter writes that he filed a complaint against the FBI for violating the Hatch Act, "which bars the use of an official position to influence an election." He filed the complaint with both the Office of Special Counsel and the Office of Government Ethics.

Painter, who was the head White House ethics lawyer between 2005 and 2007 and now supports Hillary Clinton, says Comey violated the Hatch Act when he sent the letter to lawmakers on Friday informing them of the newly discovered emails. “This letter, which was quickly posted on the internet, made highly unusual public statements about an FBI investigation concerning a candidate in the election,” writes Painter. “The letter was sent in violation of a longstanding Justice Department policy of not discussing specifics about pending investigations with others, including members of Congress.”

Although Comey’s previous statements may be concerning, there is no actual evidence yet that the FBI director actually wanted to influence the election. Still, that is irrelevant as far as the Hatch Act is concerned.

Painter also warns that letting this precedent stand would be dangerous:

This is no trivial matter. We cannot allow FBI or Justice Department officials to unnecessarily publicize pending investigations concerning candidates of either party while an election is underway. That is an abuse of power. Allowing such a precedent to stand will invite more, and even worse, abuses of power in the future.

Speaking to LawNewz.com, Painter says he doesn’t buy the argument that Comey had to send the letter because he had promised to update lawmakers on the issue. The FBI director could have easily sent the letter two weeks later, after voters had gone to the polls, and no one would have been able to argue that he “breached that promise to update,” particularly considering the reports that “the FBI apparently had not even looked at the emails because they did not have a search warrant.”

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

alpha_destroy posted:

Do I like the Statue of Liberty. Yea. But I am also 50% Italian American and 50% Irish American. So, my family was the huddled masses that America (reluctantly) accepted. Do I like the DoI? Ya. But that is cause I think it has a good message despite what the original authors intended.

True. My grandfather was a literal concentration camp survivor before he came to the U.S., so I hold good feelings for the statue personally. I can understand seeing it as a huge symbol of hypocrisy too, though, because, welp, American history.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Admiral Ray posted:

So it's like working for a start up. Why get paid when you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you helped change the country for the better!

It's more like it looks pretty good on a resume. And almost all staffers get paid, the only ones not paid are literally at the lowest rung of the ladder. (They're called Fellows now instead of unpaid interns.) But, you're right in that the enthusiasm and belief in your candidate/party is what helps grease the wheels vis-a-vis pay.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

remusclaw posted:

You also aren't necessarily going home the day after if you win, whereas if you lose, what's the point in sticking around?

Post Campaign Staff meeting for upper level staff, making sure you get your last pay check for lower level staff.

thetoughestbean posted:

It's more like it looks pretty good on a resume. And almost all staffers get paid, the only ones not paid are literally at the lowest rung of the ladder. (They're called Fellows now instead of unpaid interns.) But, you're right in that the enthusiasm and belief in your candidate/party is what helps grease the wheels vis-a-vis pay.

Everyone gets paid, except the unpaid interns and fellows but a significant amount of people get paid poo poo for the hours they are expected to work.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
shut UP shut UP shut UP!!! trash

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Spacebump posted:

Everyone gets paid, except the unpaid interns and fellows but a significant amount of people get paid poo poo for the hours they are expected to work.

Oh absolutely. One point of clarification, though, is that unpaid interns and fellows are one and the same.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Avshalom posted:

Lol if you think Union Pacific is going anywhere

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Avshalom posted:

nah

Squeegy posted:

Eyyy, I'm postin' 'ere!

Lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

farraday posted:

You guys are fooling yourselves if you think a Republican political operative who also happens to be female will get black listed for being on the Trump campaign.

They are far too valuable throw in front of the media when your candidate has a history of saying terrible things about women being a Republican politician.

Just look at how long Sarah Palin was able to stay relevant despite being utterly incompetent.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Missed page 1488 :saddowns:

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Just look at how long Sarah Palin was able to stay relevant despite being utterly incompetent.

Sarah Palin was more of a curiosity, as in "how could someone achieve power being that stupid?" on top of the whole Alaska thing so she was almost like "oh poo poo I forgot people lived there!" sorta thing.

And a lot of 40+ white dudes wanted to take her to pound town.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

gfsincere posted:

Sarah Palin was more of a curiosity, as in "how could someone achieve power being that stupid?" on top of the whole Alaska thing so she was almost like "oh poo poo I forgot people lived there!" sorta thing.

Also some people mistook her for Tina Fey doing a publicity stunt.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Sarah Palin was just a warm up act for Michelle Bachmann bringing the super saiyan crazy.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

GalacticAcid posted:

Ok I've avoided weighing in on this but I think the time has come for my Statue of Liberty take. Here it is.

The Statue of Liberty is for tourists and eyyy im walkin here.

Thanks folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u0mKh_m0Rc&t=60s

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

gfsincere posted:

This is prejudice....

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Potato Salad posted:

Missed page 1488 :saddowns:

Don't worry, we'll reach 8814 before the end of the month

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tom Guycot posted:

Sarah Palin was just a warm up act for Michelle Bachmann bringing the super saiyan crazy.

As a Minnesotan, I feel compelled that this particular state shame was elected in 2006. Minnesota! We try to keep our poo poo together but all we get remembered for is Jesse Ventura and Michelle Bachmann...

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

thetoughestbean posted:

As a Minnesotan, I feel compelled that this particular state shame was elected in 2006. Minnesota! We try to keep our poo poo together but all we get remembered for is Jesse Ventura and Michelle Bachmann...

What about Al Franken?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Spatula City posted:

I wouldn't chalk up the most recent argument as a leftist circular firing squad. The civil rights movement has been tied to progressivism, but they're uneasy allies, and that's really what this argument seems to be showing. The Democratic primary was worse. I don't know if they were trolls, but a few people were pushing pretty hard "no war but class war" and calling civil rights issues "distractions" perpetrated by the corporations to occupy the progressive movement's time. I think most of the people now posting in USPOL are some shade of progressive, but some are much less interested in civil rights than others, and many have spent absolutely no effort learning about their own privilege and trying to avoid doing the lovely things that white people do to non-white people all the time.

Never trust a leftist who dismisses civil rights. That mother fucker will be voting R the second their student loans are forgiven or they bump up a tax bracket. 9 times out of 10.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I've made it a point to bring her up to any Republican acquaintances who acted baffled about Trump's uprising. If Palin becoming outrageously popular in your party wasn't a huge red flag then you're hopeless. It seemed to have caused some sort of a 'oh poo poo' spark in many of them as they realize that their party really has lost its marbles.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Pastrymancy posted:

What about Al Franken?

And Amy Klobuchar! :eng101:

EDIT: and Keith Ellison, too

bhsman fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 31, 2016

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Never trust a leftist who dismisses civil rights. That mother fucker will be voting R the second their student loans are forgiven or they bump up a tax bracket. 9 times out of 10.

Well, it's been said that people get more conservative as they age.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

NewMars posted:

Also some people mistook her for Tina Fey doing a publicity stunt.

I have a story about this!

Back in the day, I was living in NoVA, and it so happened that Gorbachev was scheduled to give a lecture at GMU, where my girlfriend-at-the-time was going to school. So we went. When we got there they gave everyone an index card and had you write a question on it, and the deal was that they'd collect them during the lecture and pick the best ones for a Q&A session at the end. So I wrote my question, and they collected it.

And that's the story of how Mikhail Gorbachev, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize and the last General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, was asked the question "can you see Sarah Palin from your house?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayWsbCqKhMw

Gorby posted:

Well, I liked her performance, isn't she an actress?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Squeegy posted:

Well, it's been said that people get more conservative as they age.

Pretty sure that's a "common sense" myth that's been debunked by actual stats by now? My recollection is that most people's political leanings become fairly locked in by around 16-20.

Key word being most, of course.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goddamn, I thought a tape of Trump eating a baby had dropped, but y'all still talking about the Statue of Liberty

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Squeegy posted:

Don't worry, we'll reach 8814 before the end of the month

We'll reach it before Statue chat ends.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

thetoughestbean posted:

At least Ventura, for all his crazy got the light rail system off the ground.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

flashman posted:

This is prejudice....

I'd cheat on my girlfriend for one night with Katrina Pierson, so here we are.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I wonder how many seniors can't deal with the new voting machines that are rolling out.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I just realized, that's a plothole. Mr. Poopypants wasn't a parasite, the only parasite was the uncle, but he was dead at that point. So where did Cousin Nicky come from?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Spatula City posted:

I wouldn't chalk up the most recent argument as a leftist circular firing squad. The civil rights movement has been tied to progressivism, but they're uneasy allies, and that's really what this argument seems to be showing. The Democratic primary was worse. I don't know if they were trolls, but a few people were pushing pretty hard "no war but class war" and calling civil rights issues "distractions" perpetrated by the corporations to occupy the progressive movement's time.

There was a lot of this in YCS at the time. I remember when I argued against this attitude, one person's response was "I'm a literal Communist, but I'm voting Trump because of people like you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

bhsman posted:

And Amy Klobuchar! :eng101:

EDIT: and Keith Ellison, too

Can't mention the great Keith Ellison without an obligitory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6M_2fTACeI

• Locked thread