Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ruggan posted:

Call a spade a spade is a racist term? I thought it was just a phrase about card games. That's how I was introduced to it. In a game where spades ruled them all.

It dates back to ancient Greece and its offensiveness is another example of American exceptionalism, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Mendrian posted:

This kind of thing comes up in HR for big companies all the time.

If two people are having a fun time ripping at each other with racist jokes at the office - and even if those jokes are entirely acceptable to both parties and literally irrelevant to everyone else (let's say they're the only Polish people at the office and they exclusively make Polish jokes) and a third party overhears it and thinks that a 'reasonable person' would find them offensive - you absolutely pull those people into your office and tell them to stop. And that's dealing with touchy HR stuff, not actual human emotions in the real world. Real people are even less tolerant of that kind of thing because you will never, ever know the intent as a third party observer, you just get to deal with your own emotions, and if a reasonable person could find the offending behavior offensive, than the intent isn't super relevant.

Intent should matter in like, a courtroom environment. It honestly doesn't and shouldn't matter to laypeople who are hit by the shrapnel of offensive behavior.

I mean I understand what you're saying and think you're making a reasonable argument. I was objecting to someone saying "intent doesn't matter" as a matter of semantics. The real thing they were trying to say is "intent doesn't change how I feel about this" though, because in some form or another intent does and should matter.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Charlz Guybon posted:

I don't think I've ever heard this. Do people still use it that way?

according to my cousin in south carolina, definitely

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gfsincere posted:

Nope, this country has spent entirely too loving long being concerned with the well being of unabashed racists to the detriment of everyone else. gently caress em all.

I can actually agree with this.

Are you by any chance familiar with Good Musliim Bad Muslim?
http://www.goodmuslimbadmuslim.com/

poo poo pissed me off recently: they were talking about Clinton's remarks during the debates on how "muslim communities" must continue to be on the "front lines" on reporting / preventing domestic terror, and the two were reacting pretty freaked out about the implication that...? (I didn't get it at the time). I know Clinton was referring to the fact that the FBI reports that a large fraction of plots are foiled with the assistance of information provided by Muslim individuals and at first it felt like they were intentionally misinterpreting Clinton's point that we all need to *dramatic positive Nixon voice* all come together to stop the spread of terror abroad and at home. I finally got it, though -- it's hosed up to specifically single out Muslim communities as those who need to have their ear to the ground because they're presumably proximal to terror. In the light of the recent foiled Kansas Nov. 9th bombing, Talibundy, and the voter intimidation we're seeing across the loving country right now, it's probably clear to everyone here that loving whites are probably (1) more armed (2) possibly just as radical if not (3) way more loving scary right now in this goddamn country.

FOod for thought.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

theflyingorc posted:

You can recognize all those things and still find the situation lamentable and upsetting

The blowback they're going to get will be terrible and disproportionate but also what they're doing is really messed up

I don't think light lesbian foreplay in front of some frat guys before taking a shot to the face is super terrible, but yeah it's not great.

Nothing will happen to them

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Scent of Worf posted:

This guy is really loving mad holy heck!!
It's true. It's better than the alternative which is to stop caring and give up on discussion about progressive causes because they are turning into uncritical circlejerks.

Also those two stupid white girls are don't actually matter in any real way you are just having a contest in self-righteousness.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ruggan posted:

I mean I understand what you're saying and think you're making a reasonable argument. I was objecting to someone saying "intent doesn't matter" as a matter of semantics. The real thing they were trying to say is "intent doesn't change how I feel about this" though, because in some form or another intent does and should matter.

Well I think virtually anyone could counter that with, 'intent could certainly make it worse'. Like at the very least, I imagine you'd be even less tolerant of someone who is a lifestyle racist than someone who is not, but I am white, so I don't generally try to pretend I understand how minorities feel.

gamey
May 17, 2009
http://i63.tinypic.com/311s3kk.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Squeegy posted:

It dates back to ancient Greece and its offensiveness is another example of American exceptionalism, apparently.

There's a lot of false urban legends about words having racist origins

There's also a lot of true ones

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Mendrian posted:

Well I think virtually anyone could counter that with, 'intent could certainly make it worse'. Like at the very least, I imagine you'd be even angrier at someone who is a lifestyle racist than someone who is not, but I am white, so I don't generally try to pretend I understand how minorities feel.

Yeah. True. Anyway I'm okay stopping the conversation on intent since it's getting stale and nobody probably wants to read another one of my goddamn stupid posts on the topic.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Ruggan posted:

And in the real world no one gives a poo poo about your intent in many environments, the workplace being one of them.

But I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to tell Security about your intent as they are tossing you and your poo poo out the door because you thought it would be funny to come to work in blackface and had no intention of being offensive, and never once question why you think offensive racist poo poo is funny.

Pro tip: its funny because you know you'll never ever be on the receiving end of it.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

It took a second for me to realize what I was seeing :stonk:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Just use another suit. Clubs are fine. Call a club a club.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

My favorite part of this article about Justine Sacco:

quote:

But despite her near invisibility on social media, she was still ridiculed and demonized across the Internet. Biddle (guy who wrote about her tweet initially -Ed.) wrote a Valleywag post after she returned to the work force: “Sacco, who apparently spent the last month hiding in Ethiopia after infuriating our species with an idiotic AIDS joke, is now a ‘marketing and promotion’ director at Hot or Not.”

“How perfect!” he wrote. “Two lousy has-beens, gunning for a comeback together.”

Sacco felt this couldn’t go on, so six weeks after our lunch, she invited Biddle out for a dinner and drinks. Afterward, she sent me an email. “I think he has some real guilt about the issue,” she wrote. “Not that he’s retracted anything.” (Months later, Biddle would find himself at the wrong end of the Internet shame machine for tweeting a joke of his own: “Bring Back Bullying.” On the one-year anniversary of the Sacco episode, he published a public apology to her on Gawker.)

And then the company he worked for went bankrupt

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Just use another suit. Clubs are fine. Call a club a club.

Or a cigar a cigar.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I went back to the heart of Pennsyltucky to visit my family for the holidays a few years back and got invited to an old friend's Christmas party. It turns out it was KWANZAAFEST 2011 and it was all white dudes in the basement of this gigantic mcmansion in the middle of nowhere. Rasta wigs weren't uncommon. There was a bunch of nerds rapping about star trek and the winner of the "rap off" got a 40 oz and a super soaker.

Like, I don't know, maybe instead of leaving quietly and speeding the gently caress back to civilization I could have tried to find a better answer. Maybe I could have tried grabbing the mic and asking pointed questions. Maybe barricading the doors and setting the place on fire was the correct solution. I just think it's important that we leave all of our options on the table.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This election season is lighting a fire under our collective asses to get out in the cold and shine some loving light in a dark world.

This thread is now back on track.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I went back to the heart of Pennsyltucky to visit my family for the holidays a few years back and got invited to an old friend's Christmas party. It turns out it was KWANZAAFEST 2011 and it was all white dudes in the basement of this gigantic mcmansion in the middle of nowhere. Rasta wigs weren't uncommon. There was a bunch of nerds rapping about star trek and the winner of the "rap off" got a 40 oz and a super soaker.

Like, I don't know, maybe instead of leaving quietly and speeding the gently caress back to civilization I could have tried to find a better answer. Maybe I could have tried grabbing the mic and asking pointed questions. Maybe barricading the doors and setting the place on fire was the correct solution. I just think it's important that we leave all of our options on the table.

i think a live enacting of saw, complete with ironic life lessons would have been not entirely unwarranted

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

gfsincere posted:

Nope, this country has spent entirely too loving long being concerned with the well being of unabashed racists to the detriment of everyone else. gently caress em all.

Potato Salad posted:

I can actually agree with this.

Idk, it's such heated language. It's charged with hate. I am trying to understand your point of view and correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be projecting hate that you feel has been directed towards you. I don't hate you and I don't believe you should be disrespected or mistreated for whatever you are in real life.

I'm just saying I can't really stand by your arguments because they seem to come from a hateful place. I don't think that's a good or healthy perspective to hold or agree with or stand by. I'm sure you're going to jump on this and explain why I'm wrong but I'd honestly like to hear it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gfsincere posted:

And in the real world no one gives a poo poo about your intent in many environments, the workplace being one of them.

But I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to tell Security about your intent as they are tossing you and your poo poo out the door because you thought it would be funny to come to work in blackface and had no intention of being offensive, and never once question why you think offensive racist poo poo is funny.

Pro tip: its funny because you know you'll never ever be on the receiving end of it.

You have obliquely dropped that :ducksiren: you are an important manager :ducksiren: in real life

go ahead tell us your story with some racist gently caress

LIke actually do it, telling personal stories gets threads back on track and gets conversations going in good ways.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Nothing is worse than white people rapping ironically

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

no ring 0/5

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Mercrom posted:

It's true. It's better than the alternative which is to stop caring and give up on discussion about progressive causes because they are turning into uncritical circlejerks.

Also those two stupid white girls are don't actually matter in any real way you are just having a contest in self-righteousness.

"I care about progress. But also, I don't care about tone policing and how it can affect minorities in discussions."

Which one is it?

Either you're a idiot liar or you're a racist Bernout that believes race issues are a "distraction" from the "real issues".

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

http://www.elitegalaxy.org/?p=5878 :ohdear:

hopHeadless
Aug 24, 2014
Handwringing about intent is just a way for white people to sooth their own anxiety about being seen as racist.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

boner confessor posted:

there are so many coded euphemisms for black people that practically every american english idiom has some racist undertone

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Ruggan posted:

Idk, it's such heated language. It's charged with hate. I am trying to understand your point of view and correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be projecting hate that you feel has been directed towards you. I don't hate you and I don't believe you should be disrespected or mistreated for whatever you are in real life.

I'm just saying I can't really stand by your arguments because they seem to come from a hateful place. I don't think that's a good or healthy perspective to hold or agree with or stand by. I'm sure you're going to jump on this and explain why I'm wrong but I'd honestly like to hear it.

i don't think it takes hate to not be concerned about the potential backlash two people might face for engaging in racist actions
given the internet is as it is, i'd be surprised if they faced any appreciable backlash at all honestly, i mean, on principle i wouldn't condone someone screwing up their lives but i'm not going to lose any sleep either if people that do terrible things have a terrible time

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ruggan posted:

I don't think that's a good or healthy perspective to hold or agree with or stand by. I'm sure you're going to jump on this and explain why I'm wrong but I'd honestly like to hear it.

Sure, I'll begin with " I don't have a perspective" and "I don't have an argument"

this thread is a hilarious garbage fire, I'm watching people willfully misunderstand each other, nobody is backing off and putting effort into making sure they're being understood, and I'm not inclined in a high velocity thread to get involved in any way deeper than a couple shitposts.

read between lines if you want meaning

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Ruggan posted:

Hot take: I hate racists.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Ruggan posted:

How in the gently caress is saying "I don't want employees that will dehumanize other employees and be racist to them" hateful? How is "I want people who do hateful and racist poo poo to be crushed under the weight of being publicly shamed for their blatant disrespect towards the humanity of others" hateful?

Better yet, why are my posts hateful but their mocking of another race that's been stripped of drat near everything not hateful?

You have a WHOLE lot of implicit racial bias to unpack and to be quite frank I don't have the time or the disposition to do it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Potato Salad posted:

Sure, I'll begin with " I don't have a perspective" and "I don't have an argument"

this thread is a hilarious garbage fire, I'm watching people willfully misunderstand each other, nobody is backing off and putting effort into making sure they're being understood, and I'm not inclined in a high velocity thread to get involved in any way deeper than a couple shitposts.

read between lines if you want meaning

It's mostly a garbage fire on the weekends, not sure why

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I just watched that documentary about Mittens, and jesus christ, I never thought I would look back with fondness at that rear end in a top hat, but after Trump...

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_a_Black_Planet

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ruggan posted:

wait are you talking about my thoughts on the Good Muslim, Bad Muslim podcast or this thread?

If this thread: it has a lot of people who just want to be right about everything. It used to be very libertarian for that reason a long time ago ,and I think the same issue hangs around today. Spite is certainly a characterizing word among other things.

If my thoughts about the podcast or me or something: :staredog: whatchu talking about? I don't even think I'm involved in this discussion, wasn't this between gifsincere and .....some guy? about the indian girl costume picture?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Can we just start the new thread a day early, god drat

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

After reading the last 50 pages I have to wonder if the reason everyone assumes gfsincere is super mad is because he's using the dreaded r-word to talk about white people itt and that makes them very uncomfortable.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Tom Guycot posted:

I just watched that documentary about Mittens, and jesus christ, I never thought I would look back with fondness at that rear end in a top hat, but after Trump...

My favorite part of that documentary is when he goes back to the green room after the second debate. His family and staff are giving him meaningless platitudes and he looks like he just spent a week on Iwo Jima in 1945.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tom Guycot posted:

Mittens is just like you and me, except awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

1stGear posted:

My favorite part of that documentary is when he goes back to the green room after the second debate. His family and staff are giving him meaningless platitudes and he looks like he just spent a week on Iwo Jima in 1945.

I liked the part where he lost and everyone was sad.

• Locked thread