Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Euphoriaphone posted:

Remember how Obama appointing a Republican to head the FBI came around to bite the Democrats in the rear end, and how hopeful you were that Clinton would avoid those hollow displays of bipartisanship? Well, you'll be glad disappointed to know in some of Podesta's leaked emails they're talking about a Texas Republian judge for their Supreme Court nomination.

You might argue just because some random Clinton supporter emailed Podesta about their pick for the SC nod, it doesn't mean that's who Clinton will nominate, but this if from one of the DNC's biggest backers.

I think we're going to regret not getting Bernie into the WH instead :kheldragar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Euphoriaphone posted:

Remember how Obama appointing a Republican to head the FBI came around to bite the Democrats in the rear end, and how hopeful you were that Clinton would avoid those hollow displays of bipartisanship? Well, you'll be glad disappointed to know in some of Podesta's leaked emails they're talking about a Texas Republian judge for their Supreme Court nomination.

You might argue just because some random Clinton supporter emailed Podesta about their pick for the SC nod, it doesn't mean that's who Clinton will nominate, but this if from one of the DNC's biggest backers.
So should we vote for Johnson, Stein, or write in Bernie Sanders?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Scent of Worf posted:

I think we're going to regret not getting Bernie into the WH instead :kheldragar:

Not really, man's a loser. If he was good enough to do the job he would have been good enough to beat Hillary.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

gfsincere posted:

I know this is gonna be hard for you, but it involves shutting the gently caress up and listening.

So try shutting the gently caress up for a hot second, you might learn some poo poo.

Or you can keep being an antagonistic fuckhead. Your choice really.

:ironicat:

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

hexenmexen posted:

I don't think that's fair. My dad has been trying to push that same lefty propaganda on me.

Oh boy

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

gfsincere posted:

Women's suffrage in the US was bolstered and supported by the KKK which had over a million members at that time.

Racist stopped clock I guess.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Ruggan posted:

It's just a little sad, you know? Like I'm trying to do my best to reach out, be understanding, express that I'm open to learning. I hope you believe that.
Look up tone policing, go read MLK's Birmingham Jail letter, and then realize that literally every single time any form of this discussion comes up; that is a poc expresses an opinion or experience about racism in a way that isn't passive and deferential, they get your exact response over and over. To the point that frankly, it becomes a racist expression of white privilege.

As to your former question: no one is asking you to solve racism. Maybe instead of taking on the entire white man's burden you could shut up, listen, and consider someone else's experience for a minute or two. If you really, REALLY want to be special you could even engage in some self-reflection.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

I...I don't know what's happening here, and I don't think that I want to.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

OK, so I'll have a go at an effortpost.

1. Do your own homework on -isms. Don't expect people who are one the receiving end of racism, sexism, etc to have to bear the burden of educating the people on the giving end.

2. Understand that you benefit from a system of privilege founded on prejudice, that your voice is already amplified, and your perspectives given greater weight than people further down the privilege scale than you. http://www.ucalgary.ca/cared/whiteness

3. From 2, do your best to shut up and listen to what people further down the privilege scale from you have to say, without getting defensive. White fragility is real; work against it. http://www.alternet.org/culture/why-white-people-freak-out-when-theyre-called-out-about-race

4. Tone policing is also real, and is another way that privilege and prejudice are reinforced. Don't do that either. http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/12/tone-policing-and-privilege/

1. Ok.
2. Already understand this, but will read through your link.
3 & 4 will read

thanks for the links

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

hexenmexen posted:

I don't think that's fair. My dad has been trying to push that same lefty propaganda on me my whole life. The principles of equality that exist in the US, outside of the slavery and jim crow, that white people also died to change, are bigger than just symbolys to be misinterpreted by reactionary assholes.

And you can't conduct your life in a way some people will be happy with. It's only their interpretation of history, that often doesn't reflect statistical facts that matters.

So if you say slavery was committed by a minority of whites and all societies engaged in it, they say you are uneducated and racist, even though that is factually correct.

If you say racism is not mainstream or that black culture has faults of its own to overcome, it's your fault for being descended from white people that it got way.

There are absolutely racist issues in the US but the way hardcore liberals approach it is counterproductive. They think welfare and laws that favour minorities over whites are the only resolution, and if you question that you are racist for seeing the inherit injustice of laws like that. And how most welfare is just a prolongation of keeping people subservient, and not about giving people skills or a mentality to get out of wherever, black or white.

Haha is this post for real

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

And drat that sure is a whole article spun out of one sentence and one word but then again I guess if Hillary wasn't an evil lizard person out to gently caress us all for nebulous evil the moment she could, why would we keep insisting she is.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRVqVwGWocM

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

idiotsavant posted:

Look up tone policing, go read MLK's Birmingham Jail letter, and then realize that literally every single time any form of this discussion comes up; that is a poc expresses an opinion or experience about racism in a way that isn't passive and deferential, they get your exact response over and over. To the point that frankly, it becomes a racist expression of white privilege.

As to your former question: no one is asking you to solve racism. Maybe instead of taking on the entire white man's burden you could shut up, listen, and consider someone else's experience for a minute or two. If you really, REALLY want to be special you could even engage in some self-reflection.

Read the letter when he referred to it earlier. To the 2nd sentence, I get that - not sure I agree that it's an unreasonable reaction though, I think most people would react that way?

Not trying to solve racism. Trying to make sure I act in a way that isn't perpetuating it. I don't feel responsible for anyone else's actions but I want to understand how others feel I should act and why so I can better understand, that's all.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mulva posted:

Not really, man's a loser. If he was good enough to do the job he would have been good enough to beat Hillary.

I wish I could believe that was the implication, but the reality is, name recognition plays an extremely big role in political primaries. Clinton had it; Sanders didn't.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mulva posted:

¡Jeb!

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
poo poo like this is why I have no idea how to brace myself for a Trump presidency.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

hexenmexen posted:

I don't think that's fair. My dad has been trying to push that same lefty propaganda on me my whole life. The principles of equality that exist in the US, outside of the slavery and jim crow, that white people also died to change, are bigger than just symbolys to be misinterpreted by reactionary assholes.

And you can't conduct your life in a way some people will be happy with. It's only their interpretation of history, that often doesn't reflect statistical facts that matters.

So if you say slavery was committed by a minority of whites and all societies engaged in it, they say you are uneducated and racist, even though that is factually correct.

If you say racism is not mainstream or that black culture has faults of its own to overcome, it's your fault for being descended from white people that it got way.

There are absolutely racist issues in the US but the way hardcore liberals approach it is counterproductive. They think welfare and laws that favour minorities over whites are the only resolution, and if you question that you are racist for seeing the inherit injustice of laws like that. And how most welfare is just a prolongation of keeping people subservient, and not about giving people skills or a mentality to get out of wherever, black or white.

When will we finally start fighting the true evil in this country....SNAP benefits

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ghetto Prince posted:

poo poo like this is why I have no idea how to brace myself for a Trump presidency.

This thread totally melting down?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

hexenmexen posted:

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Majorian posted:

I wish I could believe that was the implication, but the reality is, name recognition plays an extremely big role in political primaries. Clinton had it; Sanders didn't.

Sanders also conceded what, 10 states before their primaries?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Majorian posted:

I wish I could believe that was the implication, but the reality is, name recognition like two decades of energetically reaching out to a wide range of core constituencies in your political party and showing some signs of genuinely giving a poo poo, even when you make some mistakes along the way, plays an extremely big role in political primaries. Clinton had it; Sanders didn't.
Christ almighty. The story should be that Bernie had such a good clear message that he did real well even if it wasn't enough to bring the party round him in the end. That's certainly the story Hillary took from it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Welfare is a nefarious plot to keep black people dependent on the government for vague and undefined reasons

Unfortunately for our whimsical illuminati overlords their elmer fudd like trap caught single white appalachian moms for the most part. Those wascally wabbits!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

karthun posted:

Sanders also conceded what, 10 states before their primaries?

Also his campaign manager was incompetent (or so I've heard), and he sprang up from nothing so quickly that he had no time to vet anyone before bringing them on.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ruggan posted:

Okay, that's fair. I understand and can empathize with that perspective. At the same time it leaves me wondering, where do I fit in? How can I conduct my life in a way that is conducive to allowing everyone access to the same liberties that I have? And what can I do within reason that I'm not instantly perceived as part of the problem by association?

I want everyone to be treated equally, and I'm coming into this without all the wounds that many of the other participants in the discussion have. Why does not wanting to be caught in their lashing out make me a problem?

It's just a little sad, you know? Like I'm trying to do my best to reach out, be understanding, express that I'm open to learning. I hope you believe that.

Look, I was like you once. One of my only posts in LF was claiming that things aren't as bad for black people any more. I was rightly laughed out of the thread but at the time I was as confused as you are now. I was trying to be understanding and open guys why are you mocking me

The thing that can be hard for a majority to understand is that minorities are not obligated to teach you about their experiences in American society. It's tiring, it's repetitive, it's frustrating. Some may choose to be educators and that's great, but black people are not some Encyclopedia of Racism for whites to crack open when they feel like it. Especially in the Information Age when all the statistics and anecdotes you could want are a Google away.

So go educate yourself. Put the barest drat modicum of effort into learning about a subject before you try to talk about it. And when black people (or Hispanics or Native Americans or LGBT or who the gently caress ever) are talking about the poo poo they have to live through on a daily basis, shut up and listen . Don't come in making tone arguments or saying "Gosh doesn't intent matter???" or asking that they stop and explain basic-rear end poo poo to you.

Edit: late as gently caress y'all demonstrating some extreme not-phone-posting privilege

1stGear fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 31, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

Welfare is a nefarious plot to keep black people dependent on the government for vague and undefined reasons

Unfortunately for our whimsical illuminati overlords their elmer fudd like trap caught single white appalachian moms for the most part. Those wascally wabbits!
"Doing positive things to help your constituents" seems to be this really amazing sign of moral illness, considering that even the old default "stuff the government is allowed/not allowed to do" in America is calibrated to gentleman farmers and, uh, people whose investment was in certain forms of bonded service, rather than, you know, the modern day.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nessus posted:

Christ almighty. The story should be that Bernie had such a good clear message that he did real well even if it wasn't enough to bring the party round him in the end. That's certainly the story Hillary took from it.

Yeah, I don't think the man is a loser considering that Hillary was basically uncontested until he came in, and went from 2% in the polls to an actual threat to her nomination in a few months. She was shook.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Hi, I don't know what "welfare" is, how it is administered, who it benefits or anything about it at all really

But let me tell you about how it is the true racism

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nessus posted:

:agreed: And I think Bernie fans should be proud of it, and I have nothing but contempt for the holdout Bernouts, because holy poo poo, do they need to get their heads out of their asses and onboard with the not-Trump ticket. We're on the same page on this, don't worry.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Hi, I don't know what "welfare" is, how it is administered, who it benefits or anything about it at all really

Worse than slavery.

-Dr. Ben Carson

(it was actually Obamacare)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Majorian posted:

:agreed: And I think Bernie fans should be proud of it, and I have nothing but contempt for the holdout Bernouts, because holy poo poo, do they need to get their heads out of their asses and onboard with the not-Trump ticket. We're on the same page on this, don't worry.
If only Bernie had had three different things been different and wasn't burdened by his saintly nature, then America would be saved!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nessus posted:

If only Bernie had had three different things been different and wasn't burdened by his saintly nature, then America would be saved!

Yeah, well, and one of those three different things would have had to have been a decently-run campaign. Those last couple months of Weaver loving everything up publicly were painful.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Majorian posted:

Yeah, well, and one of those three different things would have had to have been a decently-run campaign. Those last couple months of Weaver loving everything up publicly were painful.
Frankly, while it was probably a fundamental part of his messaging, I think one of Bernie's big obstacles was that he had little to do with the Democrats beyond cooperating in the Senate until he decided to run for President under their banner.

This meant he wasn't in the cultural and social networks of the Democratic party at all, which denied him support in various ways. It also meant that for people who were Democrats, he came off a little like, "How dare you be a long-time member of this political party I would like to use to become President."

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Majorian posted:

Well, having good name recognition is part of being good at the job.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Majorian posted:

Obama disagrees.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Squeegy posted:

Mittens is just like you and me, except awful

Man he must hate doing the dishes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Charisma crushes everything. Something neither Bernie nor Hilary have.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CharlestheHammer posted:

What wraps up charisma? Does it get cut by name recognition?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

meristem posted:

Well, having good name recognition is part of being good at the job.

I would say Sanders certainly has name recognition now.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Also, Obama had some name recognition from the 2004 DNC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

This. Name recognition is huge, but it can be offset by other variables, including charisma.

• Locked thread