Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

From a cursory glance at those new boss battles and their attack patterns, it seems like all three can be blunted to some degree by using a runic ability. (In my case I have Exdeath's Grand Cross.) Are there any limitations about what they cannot block, beyond typing limitations (Grand Cross hits both BLK/WHT) or AoEs (in that the rest of the party still gets hit)? Or are even "unreflectable" abilities still perfectly fine to feed the treewizard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lechtansi posted:

Did my half price debuff pull - got Strago's mace, Wakkas ball, and the grand prize Faris BSSB. I normally have perma-Ramza on my team, because I have shout, but now i'm tempted to have two debuffers on my team.

If Ramza is happily doing shout + lifesiphon + full break, what should I put on Faris?

I usually run Ramza + Faris. Ramza gets lifesiphon or banishing strike plus a breakdown or full break. RM is Mako Might

Faris gets mug bloodlust plus a breakdown or full break. With both shout and mug her BSB hits hard. I've also run Wrath + Steal Power and that works too. RM is Battleforged. With that you can pretty much chain BSBs.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NGDBSS posted:

From a cursory glance at those new boss battles and their attack patterns, it seems like all three can be blunted to some degree by using a runic ability. (In my case I have Exdeath's Grand Cross.) Are there any limitations about what they cannot block, beyond typing limitations (Grand Cross hits both BLK/WHT) or AoEs (in that the rest of the party still gets hit)? Or are even "unreflectable" abilities still perfectly fine to feed the treewizard?

Anything BLK is attracted by Magic Lure effects (Magic Lure, Runic Blade). Anything BLK/WHT is attracted by Grand Cross effects (Grand Cross, Indomitable Blade). This doesn't affect AoE targeting, and NAT abilities ignore it entirely. "Piercing x" is coded as BLK so it still runics just fine.

The U++ might be better to use Magic Lure on rather than a Runic effect; Piercing Darkra is the guy's least threatening move in a vacuum given that it's single target, on his weaker stat, and has no additional effects, meaning Magic Lure + the 6* dark-resist accessory pretty much totally invalidates it, leaving you to focus on his much more worrisome physical damage. However, Grand Cross/Indomitable Blade is a definite consideration for the U+ CM, especially if you got lucky enough to pull the Cloud Staff on Larsa 2 (it's FF12's only native hastega, and that's a fight that is made much easier with hastega, as well.)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I am a little miffed I pulled my neato Gabranth SSB and all of the bonus battles resist, null, or absorb dark :v: Back to the bench with you, physical darkness user. Doesn't even have 5* knight! Pfah!

e: U+ was easier than the Ultimate imo. Damage output at the start was way less bananas, and by the time Maser Eye is going out you can have Wall and all your mitigation up, so as long as you know it + the slowga are coming the fight isn't bad at all.

e2: :catstare:

I'm...I'm gonna leave that U++ until reddit finds a better way than "Shout, holy damage, try your best." He's a huge sack of HP, and as soon as I hit the midway point, even if I've been lucky enough up to that point that he hasn't permanently taken someone vital out of the fight, he starts spamming fast AoEs and destroys my whole party. I don't want to leave those crystals behind, but I don't see any way I can win this one. Even synergy Vaan with all synergy gear spamming his BSB doesn't really do enough damage.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 31, 2016

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

U++ wasn't much of a pain for me, but that might be because Minwu BSB is kinda nuts.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Ultimate was a nail-biter for me, but I one-shot it, albeit with two people dead. U+ I one-shot without even any trouble. I just gave up after my seventh attempt at U++. Every time he decides to do something like stop Y'shtola, which is basically a run-ender. :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

:flaccid:

This, for the record, is equivalent to a 6* Vegas + with max augments. This was not worth 3 million gil. This would not be worth a 5* Dark Matter if I had literally any other reason to use a 5* Dark Matter. This is less worth 16000 greens than a pair of Rosetta Stones would have been.

I am saying use your extra pumpkin opportunities as Rosettas, here, in case I was not clear. Two 6* Witch Hats are a good deal, though. FF13 mage armor is surprisingly rare considering it's one of the few realms that has all of the mages.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
U++ with Vaan (BSB) Greg (BSB) Kain (SSB) Tyro (SG+BSB) and Eiko (BSB). Hella defense and HP on this guy, and that's even accounting stacking Vaan's BSB and Armor Breakdown command along with Mug Bloodlust, plus Shout, plus Crit+ effect from Eiko. My strat was beatstick until loving dead.

Actually worked first try, unlike normal Ultimate which took a couple S/Ls to figure out the optimal opening with the same team. Kept getting picked off early on there before I could get all the mitigation up.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

KataraniSword posted:

:flaccid:

This, for the record, is equivalent to a 6* Vegas + with max augments. This was not worth 3 million gil. This would not be worth a 5* Dark Matter if I had literally any other reason to use a 5* Dark Matter. This is less worth 16000 greens than a pair of Rosetta Stones would have been.

I am saying use your extra pumpkin opportunities as Rosettas, here, in case I was not clear. Two 6* Witch Hats are a good deal, though. FF13 mage armor is surprisingly rare considering it's one of the few realms that has all of the mages.

OTOH what if combining it up to 8* makes it my strongest XIII synergy weapon? :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

paperwind posted:

OTOH what if combining it up to 8* makes it my strongest XIII synergy weapon? :v:

Then you'll still have problems running it with a CM team as mentioned earlier on. :v: The only person who can use throwers in-realm is Hope, and he's a mage.

I mean, if you're at the point where your best options for FF13 stuff is "throw Jecht/Refia/Tidus at a problem until it dies" then it's absolutely worth it, but if you're at that point you might have a few problems coughing up the three goddamn million gil 8* reforge cost. :signings: That's a lot of gil dailies, considering your normal ++ daily run is 90 stamina for about 300k.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Bartz can use throwing weapons too, and he's my go-to spellblade, so I actually get a decent amount of use out of synergy throwers for realms where I don't have tons of synergy. :v: I'm nowhere near CM-ready in any realm that isn't V.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Bartz can use throwing weapons too, and he's my go-to spellblade, so I actually get a decent amount of use out of synergy throwers for realms where I don't have tons of synergy. :v: I'm nowhere near CM-ready in any realm that isn't V.

I mean, definitely combine it up to 7*/++. But burning the resources to reforge it is... questionable at best.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CaptainPsyko posted:

I mean, definitely combine it up to 7*/++. But burning the resources to reforge it is... questionable at best.

:yeah: Don't make the same mistakes I did. I don't actually know the increase from ++ to +++ as far as attack, but it's not going to be enough to bowl you over.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
All bonus battles down, had the chance to pull out my new toys (Zeus Mace and Cloud Staff) for the U+ and U++s too. Had to gamble on Daedalus not using Piercing Darkra, since my only magical mitigation was Ark Blast/Mist Overload and it hits for over 7k. Got very lucky and he never Stopped my party, too. Penelo did about 26k with her commands after the first use, which was pretty nice for a character without EnHoly.

Sadly the Zeus Mace is pretty much doomed to become a Rosetta Stone; the Cloud Staff is better all around (except that it's a Staff rather than a Rod), and the Holy Rod trumps it all around as it just trades 7 MND for a +20% Holy damage boost.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
This might be a dumb question but when do we receive the 25 mythril? Didn't get it when the event launched and didn't get it with the morning bonuses.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Armitage posted:

This might be a dumb question but when do we receive the 25 mythril? Didn't get it when the event launched and didn't get it with the morning bonuses.

I had to relaunch the app entirely before it gave me the stuff.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
So the Halloween music for the home screen is just Dancing Mad, as cut into Kefka's VGCW intro theme. Not as remix-y as I've come to expect of this game, but I'm down with the clown.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Attestant posted:

I had to relaunch the app entirely before it gave me the stuff.

I did and didn't get the 25 mythril. I just emailed support and asked them what's up.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 31, 2016

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Really digging this version of Kefka's Theme. I wish there were music options in game so I could carry it over into screens I actually spend any time in.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
So I should contact support if I didn't get the mythril and pumpkin/hat when I logged in? I've definitely relaunched the app multiple times since midnight. I guess I'll wait until after work for it to sort itself out just in case before emailing them about it.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Armitage posted:

I did and didn't get the 25 mythril. I just emailed support and asked them what's up.

If it makes you feel any better, multiple people are reporting the same issue on reddit.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, I didn't get my 25 Mythril or bonus items either. Just gonna have to wait and see what happens.

Hey, look on the bright side, maybe we'll get apology Mythril out of this! :v:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

The gyshal shop did update and I grabbed a hat and pumpkin from it.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Yeah I don't think you get the hat/pumpkin in your gift box, you have to buy them from the greens store.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

bilperkins2 posted:

Yeah I don't think you get the hat/pumpkin in your gift box, you have to buy them from the greens store.

I would also like to buy that 25 mythril from the greens store please.

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

I'm finally at the point where I have enough rosetta stones to think about fully upgrading something, but I'm a little confused about the process. Does fully augmenting something preclude me from fusing or reforging in the future? What is the difference?

Also, is it still worth augmenting one of the lower end Excaliburs or should I be holding out for a Lightbringer or something similar instead?

bilperkins2 posted:

I got one of each in my inbox and there are two more of each available in my greens store. I wasn't around for last Halloween though, maybe it's a one time thing?

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Sesquiculus posted:

I'm finally at the point where I have enough rosetta stones to think about fully upgrading something, but I'm a little confused about the process. Does fully augmenting something preclude me from fusing or reforging in the future? What is the difference?

Also, is it still worth augmenting one of the lower end Excaliburs or should I be holding out for a Lightbringer or something similar instead?

Lower end excaliburs are just fine, as long as you have a decently honed saints cross or holy physical soul break. You can fuse or reforge in the future, no problem. Make sure you augment one stone at a time, it's tedious but there's a chance you'll snag a major augment and save yourself a handful of stones.

Never happened to me, mind you.

A 5* SSB sword will take 20 augments. Fuse it to 6* and you get 5 more augment slots, as well as five more levels to pump scarletite into. Fuse it again, you get another five augment slots and five levels and so on.

Inge fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 31, 2016

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Sesquiculus posted:

I got one of each in my inbox and there are two more of each available in my greens store. I wasn't around for last Halloween though, maybe it's a one time thing?

I also received one of each and 25 mythril in my inbox. I don't think it's supposed to be a one time thing. Probably just a glitch on their end, hopefully, the rest of you get your spooky goodies soon.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I better get my 25 Mythril so I can pull on Larsa 1

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I lost this one. :negative:

(Edit) Ok, won after a few rounds of S/L, then minor party tweaks, then some more S/L so I won't get hosed by confuse. Sheesh, this feels like the hardest CM released on global so far.

Magic Lure + Gigas Armlet feels like almost mandatory, or at least heavily recommended. Otherwise you'll be forced to decide if you wanna get hosed by single target spells, or Maser Eye. Less long time players may have to make due with Magic Lure + Defend, with some lesser elemental resist relic. Medica from Penelo was surprisingly useless for healing, but massively valuable for the 15000 damage it would do. Vaan felt maybe a little wasteful, but none of my other recent FF12 pulls were actually all that useful for the fight, so Lifesiphon + Pyroclasm it was, with Thief's Revenge for self heal.

SB's of note:
Intercession from Penelo
Pyroclasm from Vaan
Gallantry from Bach (His default, Low +Wall%, still handy)

Attestant fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 31, 2016

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
U++ wouldn't be too bad... if that motherfucker didn't stop people forever

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

What the poo poo is up with this Ultimate fight, it is hard as hell! Those things are just making GBS threads AoE that is doing over 1k with Protectga / Shellga up, and the single target magic is hitting for almost 3k.

This is harder than last week's U+ and U++ fights.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 31, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

U++ wouldn't be too bad... if that motherfucker didn't stop people forever

I'm now there, and christ, this thing is tanky too. I'm really feeling my lack of native Holy-damage soul breaks now.

And yeah, eternal Stop or Slow from random attacks is real fun too.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

What the poo poo is up with this Ultimate fight, it is hard as hell! Those things are just making GBS threads AoE that is doing over 1k with Protectga / Shellga up, and the single target magic is hitting for almost 3k.

That's the easy fight this event! :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Paralyze/Sleep takes them out of the fight. Quezacotl is your best option for Paralyze if you don't want to bring Lullaby or use a Reno RW.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
beat U++ with many layers of mitigation

Full breakdown (Fran SSB)
MAG+DEF Breakdown (Vaan BSB)
ATK+MAG Breakdown (Agrias SB)
ATK Breakdown
MAG Breakdown
DEF Breakdown
Shellga
Protectga
Wall

Probably could have used a Mug Bloodlust (ATK+DEF Break) but I haven't gotten around to creating/honing one up

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Magic Lure (or a runic effect, if you have one of those) helps to an amazing degree in both this fight and the next. The only tricky part I had with the latter was in staggering Grand Cross in between SG so that I never had a moment to be caught with my pants down. It's also useful for dampening the spike damage of the U++ fight, but in such a case it's not quite so indispensable.

Attestant posted:

I'm now there, and christ, this thing is tanky too. I'm really feeling my lack of native Holy-damage soul breaks now.

And yeah, eternal Stop or Slow from random attacks is real fun too.
Despite having Pecil's BSB, I eventually broke down and farmed up SB charges just so I could rush the lower 70% of his health (when he starts using Pulsar Wave) without having to give too much of a poo poo about pacing myself in between 15-20 seconds of Stop per proc. I might not have bothered with a second holy SB, but at the moment I'm holding onto my mythril until the next FF14 event.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Paralyze/Sleep takes them out of the fight. Quezacotl is your best option for Paralyze if you don't want to bring Lullaby or use a Reno RW.

I don't have a mage team so that's out the window :/

Basically I have to figure out a way to do it with an all physical team (with one mage that can bring Ramuh and Thundaja) and that's it.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I beat the U++ by farting Blinks all over the place. Coincidentally how I beat the U+ CM, too, just took a lot of S/L to find the right build and get the timing on Ruin Impendant just right. Turns out Arihman aint poo poo with Basch and Gabranth drawing all their attacks.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i just blitzed down ahriman prime with a CM team in one go and managed to only lose two guys. i have pretty good SBs and synergy for XII though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

I don't have a mage team so that's out the window :/

Basically I have to figure out a way to do it with an all physical team (with one mage that can bring Ramuh and Thundaja) and that's it.

Try a Ninja then - they don't need a lot of MAG, and RES isn't a concern with them. Ramza's a solid option since he can also carry Lullaby to Sleep them, and then Bolt Veil once they're out of the fight. Alternatively, any of the Ninjas can carry Phantasm if you don't mind Sleeping them one by one.

• Locked thread