Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Apoffys posted:

https://www.discogs.com/William-Gibson-Neuromancer/release/1032711

It certainly looks like a real thing that was made, oddly enough a version abridged by someone else and with incidental music by U2. Finding a copy looks like it could be difficult though, a quick search only turned up a few expensive used copies.

I have a copy of this. The reading is real bad with the exception of the first paragraph. I still love it though, I've listened to it about a dozen times. No U2, but there is some weird industrial dub towards the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I never realized he was from the South; I assumed he grew up in Canada his whole life. I'm actually from and live in the South, and his accent is still jarring to me. Side note: Spook Country is amazing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EdsTeioh posted:

I never realized he was from the South; I assumed he grew up in Canada his whole life. I'm actually from and live in the South, and his accent is still jarring to me. Side note: Spook Country is amazing.

Sounds like you may have missed his excellent poem Agrippa: A Book of the Dead (which is about his father and growing up in the South).

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

precision posted:

Sounds like you may have missed his excellent poem Agrippa: A Book of the Dead (which is about his father and growing up in the South).

I'm familiar with the work, but never actually read it. Is it actually available at all?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EdsTeioh posted:

I'm familiar with the work, but never actually read it. Is it actually available at all?

On his website:

http://www.williamgibsonbooks.com/source/agrippa.asp

If I ever get rich, the first thing I'm doing is buying one of the physical copies.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

precision posted:

On his website:

http://www.williamgibsonbooks.com/source/agrippa.asp

If I ever get rich, the first thing I'm doing is buying one of the physical copies.

Thanks very much! Back on topic, anyone listened to Zero History? Or should I check out something else after Spook Country?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
'The Quantum Thief' is really weird. I listen to all my audiobooks at work, and I don't think that's the right environment for this one. This is some sit-down-in-an-easychair poo poo to get it all.

Also had 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' recommended to me. Any opinions on it?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Mister Macys posted:

It's easily one of my favorite "fantasy" books (it's very light on the fantasy elements) - it's basically a heist with fantasy tropes. Great, lighthearted storytelling. That being said, the first sequel is kind of a mess, but the second sequel (third book) is really good, if a lot more serious.

No idea how the narration is, but I've read the book itself a couple three times and really love it.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Mister Macys posted:

I really enjoyed it. Most traditional fantasy - elves, dwarves, goblins etc leaves me cold, but as Peas and Rice said, it's more a heist/con-artist story wrapped up in an interesting setting. More just a creepier, more fantastical version of renaissance Venice. People have compared him to China Mieville, but I much prefer Lynch.

I think the Orion audiobook is very well done, the narrator gets into it and emphasises the gritty setting as well as relishing the creative cursing. I put off reading it for ages despite recommendations and some of my friends having lovely taste in fantasy, but not only did I love it, but the people I've recommended it to (outside the usual fantasy novel set) all seemed to really enjoy it.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

I've read it (and the two sequels) on paper, so can't comment on the narration, but the books were good (especially the first one). Good enough that if the next book in the series ever gets released, I'll certainly buy it and re-read the series as a whole. Sadly it doesn't look like the series will be finished anytime soon, judging by the release dates:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Lynch#Bibliography

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Apoffys posted:

I've only read his Sprawl trilogy, but that was excellent. The first book, Neuromancer, was especially great. I read them on paper/Kindle though, so I don't know how good the audiobook versions are.

Robertson Dean narrates Neuromancer, and does a solid job of it, but it took me a while to come around to his voice. Unfortunately, the formatting doesn't have the introduction as its own chapter, so if you've heard the author's note enough times, just put a bookmark at 7:40 or so.

Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive are narrated by Jonathan Davis, who also did Snow Crash. He's superb.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Halfway through Shadow of the Torturer, gotta say, the e-book felt like a slog at times, but hearing the story told at its slow, wandering pace is like having a crazy dream.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mister Macys posted:

'The Quantum Thief' is really weird. I listen to all my audiobooks at work, and I don't think that's the right environment for this one. This is some sit-down-in-an-easychair poo poo to get it all.

TLL is excellent.

Quantum Thief is super involved, I relistened to probably 3/4 of it 2 or 3 times and still didn't pick up as much as I would like.

Try Heroes Die, in text or audio. The series quickly becomes :aaaaa:

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Mister Macys posted:

I don't think The Quantum Thief is something you can listen to without reading the book first, there's a ton of abstraction and it was hard to visualize a lot of it, I had a hard time as well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The main thing that was hard to understand is that people are so augmented, and personal privacy so... prioritized, that they can block everything about themselves from being seen or heard outside of like, a placeholder image in a half-finished game.
You have to use a physical film camera to be sure you're getting anything 'analogue' (real).
And people have insane control of the fidelity of information and memories they can share with others.

loving :lol:'ed when I heard Scott Brick say, '... weaponized memes'. :iamafag:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

It's not actually that complicated in the end, but even given that it doesn't want to explicitly explain stuff at the beginning it's written in a somewhat unnecessarily confusing way where it's often hard to figure out whether a given section is occurring in the present or past until half way through. However, there's nothing that really requires particularly deep contemplation or attention if you can just put up with stuff being confusing until the point where the book finally bothers to make it clear.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

It's easily one of my favorite "fantasy" books (it's very light on the fantasy elements) - it's basically a heist with fantasy tropes. Great, lighthearted storytelling. That being said, the first sequel is kind of a mess, but the second sequel (third book) is really good, if a lot more serious.

No idea how the narration is, but I've read the book itself a couple three times and really love it.

Michael Page isn't bad. I have his version of Abercrombie's 'Heroes', before they rerecorded it with Pacey.
He's got this oldschool 'Scott Ralph Bakshi's Hobbit/LotR' narrator sound to him. Really fun.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 29, 2016

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Tanith posted:

Robertson Dean narrates Neuromancer, and does a solid job of it, but it took me a while to come around to his voice. Unfortunately, the formatting doesn't have the introduction as its own chapter, so if you've heard the author's note enough times, just put a bookmark at 7:40 or so.

Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive are narrated by Jonathan Davis, who also did Snow Crash. He's superb.

I'm listening to Count Zero right now and Davis is AWESOME. I love his accents on the various characters. I've listened to Dean's Neuromancer twice now, and I really like it, but I feel like Dean is the most generic narrator ever. It works, but there isn't much style to it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I just finished Masters of Doom, narrated by Wil Wheaton. I really enjoyed this and I thought that Wheaton was a pretty good narrator. Has anyone listened to anything else he's done?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I've purchased that and Scalzi's Redshirts, and he did a story in both Metatropolis 1 & 2.

I didn't have the heart to finish listening to Masters after Romero left and the fiasco that was Ion Storm happened :smith:, but Redshirts was pretty funny, and very meta.
Has a little Galaxy Quest-esque self-awareness to it. I can't get over his accent though. It's so weird.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

I just finished Masters of Doom, narrated by Wil Wheaton. I really enjoyed this and I thought that Wheaton was a pretty good narrator. Has anyone listened to anything else he's done?

He also did What If, a book about absurd science questions. I recently finished it, and I would recommend it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I have been listening to The Girl with All the Gifts. Good story, and the narrator's great. Has a different vocal range and style for the different characters which lend to their personality in the story. Haven't seen the movie, but it's a good listen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
After enjoying his Ocean at the End of the Lane I got Neil Gaiman's nonfiction essays The View From the Cheap Seats

I did not properly appreciate how quickly I'd tire of "Alan Rickman on Prozac" voice.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Does anyone know of any audiobooks narrated by people with respiratory ailments?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Enfys posted:

I have been listening to The Girl with All the Gifts. Good story, and the narrator's great. Has a different vocal range and style for the different characters which lend to their personality in the story. Haven't seen the movie, but it's a good listen.
:agreed:

Loved the story, the narration, everything. I had no idea there was a movie, definitely need to go see it.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Enfys posted:

It was quite wonderful. It really set the bar for zombie fiction.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Mister Macys posted:

The main thing that was hard to understand is that people are so augmented, and personal privacy so... prioritized, that they can block everything about themselves from being seen or heard outside of like, a placeholder image in a half-finished game.
You have to use a physical film camera to be sure you're getting anything 'analogue' (real).
And people have insane control of the fidelity of information and memories they can share with others.

loving :lol:'ed when I heard Scott Brick say, '... weaponized memes'. :iamafag:
On the one hand, the hardcopy is a bit easier to follow-along with because you can pause and go back and ruminate over stuff until you've got something resembling a sense of what's really going on. On the other hand it denies you the smarmy smoothness of Scott Brick's narration, which is amazing.

I never listened to the audiobooks of the sequels because I enjoyed reading the hardcopy of the first book so much after listening to the audiobook first. I can't even fathom trying to make heads or tails of the The Fractal Prince through pure audio, and The Causal Angel has a different narrator, which is, like, what's the point?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Blood Meridian is on Audible's current 2-for-1 sale. I read the book several years ago and loved it, but I lent it to a friend who has since moved away. I remember it taking 30 or 40 pages before McCarthy's writing style clicked with me, and this was even after I'd read The Road. Can anyone who has the audiobook recommend it? It seems like it might make it easier to parse whenever several characters are talking to each other. I typically prefer reading fiction and using audiobooks for nonfiction, but Frank Muller's narration of Moby Dick showed me that sometimes a good narrator can make otherwise difficult prose flow like water.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The narration for Blood Meridian is incredible, it's easily one of my favorite fiction audiobooks.

The final scenes are balls to the wall intense and absolutely perfect.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Cool. The version on sale is narrated by Richard Poe. Is that the one you have? Richard Poe's narration is the only one on Audible :downs:

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 3, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I have a sort of general request.

I like when authors read their own books, particularly their autobiographies. Stephen King did it, Christopher Hitchens did it, Ayaan Hirsi Ali did it, etc..

Can anyone recommend me any good audiobooks - fiction or nonfiction - read by the author?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Robert Reich narrated Saving Capitalism, which he also wrote. I quite like his voice, and the book is just worth it in its own right.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

NikkolasKing posted:

I like when authors read their own books, particularly their autobiographies. Stephen King did it, Christopher Hitchens did it, Ayaan Hirsi Ali did it, etc..

Can anyone recommend me any good audiobooks - fiction or nonfiction - read by the author?

Yes, Please is wonderful.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Thomas Frank - Pity the Billionaire
Governator - Total Recall: My Unbelivably True Life Story (prologue and epilogue only)
Neil deGrasse Tyson - anything he does
John Hofmeister - Why We Hate The Oil Companies
Rachel Maddow - Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power
Bill Maher - The New New Rules
Michael Pollan - Cooked: A NAtural History of Transformation, Second Nature: A Gardener's Education
Brian Alvarez - The Death of WCW

Avoid:

Yahtzee Croshaw - Mogworld
It's not that it's a bad book, but his delivery is lifeless.

My list does not include lectures.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

Avoid:

Yahtzee Croshaw - Mogworld
It's not that it's a bad book, but his delivery is lifeless.

Which is particularly baffling, since his skill as a narrator is kinda why his video series is good. Both Mogworld and his other book Jam are fun reads though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NikkolasKing posted:

Can anyone recommend meany good audiobooks - fiction or nonfiction - read by the author?

Neil Gaiman - The Ocean at the End of the Lane - modern fantasy/mythology, peak Neil Gaiman in a good way
Norm MacDonald - Based on a True Story - Norm MacDonald is a fat morphine addicted stalker. What? He IS a fat morphine addicted stalker!

And from a few pages back, you can listen to Burroughs read Junky for free and it is stellar

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

I couldn't get past the "Woe is me, writing is hard!" intro, maybe I'll try it again and just skip forward.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

The full cast versions of the His Dark Materials books are fantastic. Phillip Pullman does the narration.
Alice Walker's reading of The Color Purple is very good.

Patti Smith's reading of Just Kids is dire.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

NikkolasKing posted:

Jon Ronson narrates his books. I liked Them: Adventures with Extremists and So You've Been Publicly Shamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Bill Bryson and David Sedaris.