Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

elf help book posted:

"imagine if there were PC ports of Wii U games" lol

Well... yes? Wii U games, but with better framerates, resolution, and little upgrades to textures and stuff, as opposed to an actual generational leap. In other words, pretty much exactly what a PC port of a console game usually ends up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

BreakAtmo posted:

Well... yes? Wii U games, but with better framerates, resolution, and little upgrades to textures and stuff, as opposed to an actual generational leap. In other words, pretty much exactly what a PC port of a console game usually ends up being.

Where Nintendo is concerned, that's just idle wishing. If you want PC ports, you're better off getting an emulator. Because there is no other alternative.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Rexroom posted:

Where Nintendo is concerned, that's just idle wishing. If you want PC ports, you're better off getting an emulator. Because there is no other alternative.

I'm not talking about actual literal PC ports. I'm talking about Switch graphics levels being like:

BreakAtmo posted:

Wii U games, but with better framerates, resolution, and little upgrades to textures and stuff

Think of it as 'the difference between a game's Xbone and PS4 versions' or PS2 vs GameCube instead, if you want, although I think it might be a little more than that. 'Idle wishing' is the people I've seen who actually think the Switch will get direct ports of AAA current-gen-only games, when the RAM situation will probably make that sadly impossible in a lot of cases.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

wicka posted:

why is it slow?

From the Jetson TX1 dev board: 4 GB LPDDR4 | 25.6 GB/s
Xbone: 8GB DDR3 68.3 GB/s
PS4: 8GB GDDR5 176 GB/s

They might have upgraded the memory controller but I dunno

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

we have no clue what chip it's using beyond "custom tegra"

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

LPDDR is optimized for low power (hence LP), you're not going to see much of a difference between the rumored specs and the end product. Nvidia's delta compression implementation is slightly better than AMD's and 720p target resolution means the memory bandwidth probably won't be a bottleneck.

I have to agree with BreakAtmo, it looks like a portable WiiU+ and not a direct PS4/Xbo competitor.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

wicka posted:

No clue is a bit much imo

That developer board uses the Tegra X1, with 25.6 GB/s bandwidth
Last we heard about the Tegra X2, it uses an LPDDR4 128-bit controller with bandwidth of ~ 50 GB/s

I'd say we can be reasonably confident that the Switch will use one of these controller because come on

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Arzachel posted:

LPDDR is optimized for low power (hence LP), you're not going to see much of a difference between the rumored specs and the end product. Nvidia's delta compression implementation is slightly better than AMD's and 720p target resolution means the memory bandwidth probably won't be a bottleneck.

I have to agree with BreakAtmo, it looks like a portable WiiU+ and not a direct PS4/Xbo competitor.

The PS4 and Xbone are much the same thing, the Switch is a very different creature. Thermal design is likely to affect performance more than theoretical bandwidth limits I think, they also need very good dev tools to enable dynamic graphics settings when docked

Anyway, aside from the obvious limitations in its design and form factor there are some advantages they can use to speed things up, for instance they don't need to code things to support mechanical HDDs so they could use fast internal storage as virtual RAM if it gets a speedy m.2 bus or something like that

But I agree that it'll never compare to the fidelitous ~=nextgen=~ consoles, at least when measured in tris/sec and resolution. When considering which games look better, I'm always more drawn to Nintendo's colorful artistic style than whichever grey corridor nightmare sim has the highest-res textures

I also hope that lower cost of development for the Switch will make developers happy and offset some of the concerns about non-4K output or w/e

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
What I'm saying is I will buy the Switch in any case so now I'm just focused on justifying that decision to myself and to the internet

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i've read a bunch of leaks from devs suggesting that it's super easy to develop games for switch so i am cautiously optimistic

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

When considering which games look better, I'm always more drawn to Nintendo's colorful artistic style than whichever grey corridor nightmare sim has the highest-res textures

:yeah:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

When considering which games look better, I'm always more drawn to Nintendo's colorful artistic style than whichever grey corridor nightmare sim has the highest-res textures

the ps3 has no freaking games and their all brown :D

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah YCS circa 2007/8 was great

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Happy Halloween, Switch thead!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

oddium posted:

the ps3 has no freaking games and their all brown :D

Is that opinion not cool any more? :saddowns:

I wanted to be cool

In any case I just began playing PM:TTYD a few days ago (through Dolphin though) and that game is beautiful

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

wicka posted:

i've read a bunch of leaks from devs suggesting that it's super easy to develop games for switch so i am cautiously optimistic

That would be awesome, I'd take some weird and quirky high-quality 3rd party exclusives over AAA ports any day

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Is that opinion not cool any more? :saddowns:

I wanted to be cool

In any case I just began playing PM:TTYD a few days ago (through Dolphin though) and that game is beautiful

The PS3 now has great games like Hatsune Miku Project Diva F and Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

elf help book posted:

The PS3 now has great games like Hatsune Miku Project Diva F and Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix.
I broke my PS3 trying to downgrade it

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

That would be awesome, I'd take some weird and quirky high-quality 3rd party exclusives over AAA ports any day

it would also be nice if they could at least get EA to port their sports games over, i think that'd sway a good few people

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Good.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

wicka posted:

it would also be nice if they could at least get EA to port their sports games over, i think that'd sway a good few people

I hope Nintendo makes a new baseball game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I want a nintendo gridiron football game, though it's fairly unlikely.

Of the Mario sports variety, not realistic.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I feel like, despite the lower power, there will be plenty of third party ports. The PS4 Pro and Scorpio aren't supposed to have exclusives, everything has to be scalable and run (to a certain QA standard) on base PS4s/Ones. Given that scalability is a big thing in UE4 and that the competition are mandating it, I feel like popping out one more scaled down port is more likely than with the Wii where you pretty much had to build a seperate thing almost from the ground up.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Just buy a PS2, dude.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

in my opinion, basketball is the most fun video game sport. but it's boring to watch otherwise. gridiron, is the opposite

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are you wanting some kind of old timey football game where the field is still a grid?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Make a sports game but with Smash characters Nintendo

I want to dunk with Lucina

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Will the Switch get Pro Cycling Manager 2017?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
They really should look at negotiating with third parties to use their characters again, there's a reason Soul Calibur II sold the most copies on the GameCube.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Just buy a PS2, dude.

It was a phat backwards-compatible ps3 :smith:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheKingofSprings posted:

They really should look at negotiating with third parties to use their characters again, there's a reason Soul Calibur II sold the most copies on the GameCube.

Oh poo poo, a Tour de France team with Marco Pantani and Animal Crossing Villager!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Are you wanting some kind of old timey football game where the field is still a grid?

oh sorry here in the states we call yoshi's cookie "gridiron"

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

in my opinion, basketball is the most fun video game sport. but it's boring to watch otherwise. gridiron, is the opposite

soccer gets my vote. snowboarding also if that counts. oh and volleyball. tennis too

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Sega Soccer Slam 2, make it happen Nintendo

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder if there's a market for like an old-timey sports game. Useless leather football helmets, announcer keeps dropping unintelligible slang from the 40s, lots of vintage product placement in the stadium ads and stuff.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sometimes it'd work but then other times it really...wouldn't gel well together.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

no, it was fine.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Sometimes it'd work but then other times it really...wouldn't gel well together.

What's the problem?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The 3rd party support i want on switch is the support 3ds gets currently of exclusives. I could care less about western aaa games on switch because i can get them for the same price on a platform with more power that i already own.

I'm hoping that they can continue to make development of smaller exclusives cost effective for altus, capcom, etc on switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

wicka posted:

Still looking at 50 GB/s at most

• Locked thread