Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kiggles posted:

No, it was certainly a vanilla feature, and like Schubalts said, it looked loving awful. Which is probably why you associate with with ENB; that is the only way to ever make them look not terrible.

SSE was worth it just for fixed shadows imo. I never got them looking better than 'almost ok'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Is there a mod (or an .ini tweak, I don't care) that removes all the motion blur/depth of field/etc. nonsense? I already miss fxaa post process injector.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

wiegieman posted:

Is there a mod (or an .ini tweak, I don't care) that removes all the motion blur/depth of field/etc. nonsense? I already miss fxaa post process injector.

DoF is in the graphics menu in game

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sorry if it's a bad subject, but can someone give me the for dummies explanation on why skyrim combat has stayed poop? Are there intrinsic limits on how much it can change?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Feeling like an idiot here and getting irritated. Downloaded some mods from the Skyrim Special Edition nexus site (unoffical patch, live another life, magic) but there is no option for Data Files in the launcher, and when I point the new version of NMM to Skyrim SE, the esps I dropped in the data folder just don't show up. All that is there is the five vanilla esms.

How do I turn my mods on? :smith:

EDIT: They're definitely in the right place.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 31, 2016

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

Feeling like an idiot here and getting irritated. Downloaded some mods from the Skyrim Special Edition nexus site (unoffical patch, live another life, magic) but there is no option for Data Files in the launcher, and when I point the new version of NMM to Skyrim SE, the esps I dropped in the data folder just don't show up. All that is there is the five vanilla esms.
Can't help you with the NMM problem, but SkyrimSE's own mod manager in ingame. Check under "Mods" in the main menu. Any plugin you placed in the data folder should show up.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Sorry if it's a bad subject, but can someone give me the for dummies explanation on why skyrim combat has stayed poop? Are there intrinsic limits on how much it can change?

You've pretty much got it covered there.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Raygereio posted:

Can't help you with the NMM problem, but SkyrimSE's own mod manager in ingame. Check under "Mods" in the main menu. Any plugin you placed in the data folder should show up.

Thanks. I was about to get really crabby that I needed to make a Bethesda account to loving use mods, but just clicking load order lets me activate them. Thanks! :)

EDIT: Interesting, just activating the load order thing in game once made all the esps suddenly show up in NMM.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fintilgin posted:

Thanks. I was about to get really crabby that I needed to make a Bethesda account to loving use mods, but just clicking load order lets me activate them. Thanks! :)

EDIT: Interesting, just activating the load order thing in game once made all the esps suddenly show up in NMM.

I put immersive sounds in my data folder and it didn't show up in the Bethesda list, but I think it's working - sounds seem more immersive. I'm immersed. possibly it's an immersion placebo idk

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Wouldn't be the first time a mod ran on placebo effect.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Well I'm about 2 hours into SE and the Whiterun stable has already been massacred by roving bands of vampires. That fix needs SKSE, doesn't it

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
To break up the mod discussion, how about some trouble shooting? I'm doing Dragonborn for my first time and I'm doing the quest where you cleanse the stones. While cleansing one a dragon attacked and when I killed it, Miraak supposedly appeared and has an option to talk to him, but I can't see him or actually talk to him. I have the first word of a new shout in my list, but no soul from the dragon. Is there anyway to reset Miraak, potentially with the console commands? I'm just running Unofficial Skyrim SE Patch, Forgotten City and the temp SkyUI patch.

This is what it looks like when I try to talk to what is supposedly him.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

GunnerJ posted:

Wouldn't be the first time a mod ran on placebo effect.

i challenge you to a duel over this statement!

:v:

Gregen
Jun 12, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

To break up the mod discussion, how about some trouble shooting? I'm doing Dragonborn for my first time and I'm doing the quest where you cleanse the stones. While cleansing one a dragon attacked and when I killed it, Miraak supposedly appeared and has an option to talk to him, but I can't see him or actually talk to him. I have the first word of a new shout in my list, but no soul from the dragon. Is there anyway to reset Miraak, potentially with the console commands? I'm just running Unofficial Skyrim SE Patch, Forgotten City and the temp SkyUI patch.

This is what it looks like when I try to talk to what is supposedly him.

Part of Dragonborn is miraak is a dick and has a chance to steal dragon souls when you down a dragon. He should taunt you while it happens, then disappears.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

sebmojo posted:

Combat is held back on a fundamental level by the animations and the way the game does hit detection, neither of which can be changed by mods for various reasons. You can edit the values for damage and what have you to try to "balance" things, but at the end of the day all you're doing is polishing a turd.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Gregen posted:

Part of Dragonborn is miraak is a dick and has a chance to steal dragon souls when you down a dragon. He should taunt you while it happens, then disappears.

Ok, so the only part that failed is him disappearing? That's annoying, but ignorable.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Yes. Everything is hard coded for performance reasons. Else you would get things like TK-Dodge, that took like a year and a half to resemble anything "responsive".

The other issue is that as a number drive RPG with an action interface, it is even MORE dumb. Go figure. Seriously, a Draugr Wight might as well be a Cave Bear that can cast an ice spell. It is stupid. The same holds true for virtually every single level 15(ish) NPC. Leveling in Skyrim simply results in expanding health pools, and some cosmetic changes. Rarely do NPCs present new challenges, or demand expanded resources. Hitting things with 2hand power attacks works at level 1. It works at level 81. So even with respect to progression and adventure it is poo poo.

Not saying that can't be fun. I'm just saying it is probably best to accept Skyrim for what it is and turn the brain off. There are no "simple" fixes, although https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M56N0tD0lU is a combination that can maybe make things a little more engaging without really turning the game into anything dramatically different (it doesn't change variety for example. your experience with one NPC will be the same as another NPC).

The only other alternative is going back to non-SE for Requiem, and even that is a hard sell, because suddenly the open worldness gets very closed off when you can't do much of anything until the 20s. I like it... but I also turn the damage incoming/outgoing down by half because I'm a big baby that doesn't like to literally die to everything in single hits. For the only fact it makes NPCs require different tools is it a "must have".

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 31, 2016

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but my crackling campfire isn't warming my frozen rear end in blustery Winterhold winds. I don't get any Frostfall messages about warming up and sleeping in a fur tent by the fire didn't help either. It said it was supposed to be emitting a "strong heat" :shrug:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I tried looking back a few pages and didn't see anything; are you guys using Mod Organizer with the new Special Edition? Can I just add SSE and it'll work like normal Skyrim (as far as installing the couple of mods released so far)?

No matter how fancy the Special Edition looks I'm not gonna play an unmodded Skyrim (especially with no UI mod) :colbert:

Kiggles posted:

Not saying that can't be fun. I'm just saying it is probably best to accept Skyrim for what it is and turn the brain off.

This is why I always play an archer. :v: Elder Scrolls melee combat is the weirdest, least dynamic battle system in any game I've ever played (and boils down to pressing left click until the enemy is dead).

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I tried looking back a few pages and didn't see anything; are you guys using Mod Organizer with the new Special Edition? Can I just add SSE and it'll work like normal Skyrim (as far as installing the couple of mods released so far)?

No and no, sadly.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThaumPenguin posted:

No and no, sadly.

Manual installation then, I suppose? What is this, the medieval ages? :(

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 31, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Im using Wrye Bash.

So yes, this is the middle ages.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Agents are GO! posted:

Im using Wrye Bash.

So yes, this is the middle ages.

just use the in-game bethsoft mod thing, it works fine

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I don't have to do what you say, you're not my real dad!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT: They're definitely in the right place.

You're not meant to drop them in the data folder. Nmm uses a virtual filesystem that doesn't touch the vanilla data folder.

Download the zips and add them, or judt use download with manager if it's enabled this weekend.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Im actually pleasantly surprised. I've transferred quite a few mods from Oldrim, and the only one that caused me any issue was Xenius Character Enhancements (It caused CTD at character creation.)

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

You're not meant to drop them in the data folder. Nmm uses a virtual filesystem that doesn't touch the vanilla data folder.

Download the zips and add them, or judt use download with manager if it's enabled this weekend.

I'm using nmm for the se version and all the mods I've installed through it are now in my data folder. Same as it was for fo4. I'm either missing something during nmm setup or that's not how it functions at all.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006
Anyone know why this is happening?
Certain areas cause screen flickering to the point of being unplayable...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Anyone else getting Z-fighting on Honingbrew Meadery's roof?

It's the only place I've seen it, so it stands out.

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Anyone else getting Z-fighting on Honingbrew Meadery's roof?

It's the only place I've seen it, so it stands out.

Are you using the Unofficial Patch? There's an LOD bug in the patch that they're working on. You should also see it on Dragonsreach from a distance.

Edit: 4.0.1 was just released. They pulled all of the LOD stuff out until they can figure it out or decide if it's needed anymore.

FlyingKipper fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 31, 2016

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

Mr.Grit posted:

This usually indicates a bad mesh or maybe a player skeleton issue. Check your mods.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mr.Grit posted:

does skyrim special ed use precombined meshes like fo4?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

anybody know why I would be getting serious shadow striping with the special edition? There's also what appears to be large "columns" of shadow going straight up and down across my screen, and the whole game runs at 9fps. I'd be pissed if I bought this, but still, any way to fix this? I have an i7, 16gb of ram, and gtx 965m. I should be able to play this without issue, shouldnt I?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FlyingKipper posted:

Are you using the Unofficial Patch? There's an LOD bug in the patch that they're working on. You should also see it on Dragonsreach from a distance.

Edit: 4.0.1 was just released. They pulled all of the LOD stuff out until they can figure it out or decide if it's needed anymore.
Cool deal. Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Man, Nexus has been tough to log into, tho. Guess the new Skyrim is crashing it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I believe I read somewhere in one of the newsposts that they were hitting a brand new all-time high concurrent user count, so yes, I'm sure SSE is wrecking the place. And the CK isn't even out for everyone yet :getin:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

drat this can be pretty.

I hope somebody fixes the shiny landscape .NIFs soon though (as seen on the lower-right of this image.) :|

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Psion posted:

And the CK isn't even out for everyone yet :getin:
Turns out, it is. Peter Hines tweeted out the beta key for everyone to use last thursday. Though in true Hines-is-a-bit-of-an-idiot fashion the key he posted didn't work because it's in all upper-case, and it has to be lower-case.
Go here: https://account.bethesda.net/en/settings/redeem-code
Use this code: g6h8-ne8h-u3xn-9g8m-g38u

Start the Bethesda.net launcher (or restart it if it's already active) and the new CK should show up.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Oh, well. Neat.

e: I know i'm way behind the times here but this whole beth.net launcher to use the CK to do anything is a bunch of stupid poo poo. Just authorize it in my Steam account like everyone else.

also what folder do I put a regular Skyrim mod into if I just want to update it

straight into data, gross. I thought with the whole mod folder they would've let us separate it out, but nope

and the new CK, just like the old one, throws errors while loading Skyrim's own data files. fantastic.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 31, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Is the Open Cities mod on the SE Nexus and can it be slotted into an existing save?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Basic Chunnel posted:

Is the Open Cities mod on the SE Nexus and can it be slotted into an existing save?
Yes, and yes, or at least that's what I did. I decided to be extra cautious and enter a dungeon first to get off the world map.

It's pretty fantastic. The engine upgrade means there's zero perceptible performance hit.

ALSO
:siren:There's a mod to nuke vampire attacks:siren:
...at least in theory. I haven't tried it out yet.

https://mods.bethesda.net/#en/workshop/skyrim/mod-detail/3003943