Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

prefect posted:

This is true and disappointing. The tech quotes are almost all dismissive or sarcastic or just plain stupid. I'm not sure "attempted humor" was the right way to go. Some of the great wonder quotes are just as bad, like Oxford University's.
in civ 7, chillax will be the quote for when you build broadway

quote:

On the plus side, it can be very nice to listen to some of the great works of music when you finally manage to build a place for them to be created. I would gladly have listened to the full pieces for some of them, but they cut off too soon. :rant:
finally, little fugue in g minor :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

prefect posted:

This is true and disappointing. The tech quotes are almost all dismissive or sarcastic or just plain stupid. I'm not sure "attempted humor" was the right way to go. Some of the great wonder quotes are just as bad, like Oxford University's.

On the plus side, it can be very nice to listen to some of the great works of music when you finally manage to build a place for them to be created. I would gladly have listened to the full pieces for some of them, but they cut off too soon. :rant:

Quoting The Wind in the Willows for Oxford University is actually perfectly acceptable. :colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The White Dragon posted:

finally, little fugue in g minor :unsmith:

This was exactly the first one I was thinking of. :hfive:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

prefect posted:

I think it'd have worked better if they went all-out on the multiple quotes thing. Three-five quotes per tech, with a joke or two one each maybe but also a lot more inspirational/traditional/whatever ones, so while the jokes and negative quotes and such come they don't overwhelm the experience, but are just a part of it. Variety would have helped a lot.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I agree about the quotes, Civ 5 had a satisfying feeling of "Look at the grand scope of human history and achievement" and 6 feels like a lot of ironic hipster cynicism.

It's like they were chosen by the kind of person whose response to visiting the Seven Wonders would be :jerkbag:.

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 31, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Comstar posted:

I was very unfair on Firaxis for not saying something 1 business day after release, despite the 12000 reddit thread commenting on all thing wrong with the game demonstrating how little testing when into the game after 2 days.

Here we are a week later- have they said anything?

I wouldn't really expect anything like a "day one patch" until two months after release with Firaxis. Their patching and post-release balancing is execrable.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Alkydere posted:

The game part is incredibly balanced for the most part and is pretty much a better V mechanics wise. There are some details that need to be hammered out (holy poo poo production costs get comically absurd late game and need to be tweaked, also Scythia), but the game is incredibly solid for a launch Civ.

Incredibly balanced? Wow, no. That definitely does not describe Civ VI. It seems better than Civ V and BE on launch because it has more to do, but it's far from well balanced.

Here's my hot take comparison to Civ V (with expansions):

AI: V was bad, but VI is even worse. It's hard to imagine that any effort went into the war AI at all because they often build huge armies, march to your cities and then flee for no reason. Embarked units will travel halfway across an ocean, then stop and let your naval units pick them off.
City building: I like the district system, but I think the balance in production costs is way off. I think I prefer Endless Legend's finer grid, since it leaves more room for maneuvering. Anyway VI is clearly better.
City states: I think I like envoys better than buying up city states with gold, but you can't use spies on city states anymore. Also, they're way too weak and easy to conquer, even for the AI. It's still difficult to stop other players from loving with your city states.
Customization: Less than in base Civ V, it seems. A handful of map types and that's about it.
Espionage: Defending individual districts is nonsense. I can't be bothered to build spies because the interactions are too frequent and the rewards not very worthwhile, although stealing great works is fun.
Great people: Generally sucky in VI. I don't like that you can't use them to build unique buildings anymore and you have no choice as to what they do. Meh. I almost never bother with generating great works because there are fewer ways to earn them than in V, it seems.
Government/civics: I like the idea of the policy cards but there are too many of them and most are worthless. Changing your entire set of government policies every time you discover a new civic just encourages boring micromanagement.
Happiness: The system doesn't do a whole lot. I don't think I've ever had a city revolt. Ive had AI cities revolt and then barbarians immediately killed my nearby apostle :rolleye:. I don't think I'll miss global happiness but multiple copies of luxury resources being useless is unintuitive - see how often people ask about this in thread.
Housing: I like it. Neighbourhoods are weird though. They come very late and work better if placed next to mountains and rainforests? Uh, okay.
Science: The tech tree is nonsensical. Lots of unconnected branches, some 2 era jumps and bizarre ahistorical design.
UI: Sooo bad. I have no idea why they removed improvements from V and BE. Where is the drat resume last trade route button? Why can't I tell what the UI is focused on half the time?
Wonders: Civ VI wonders take forever to build and most are garbage. Their placement is too restrictive, so you see classical era wonders still unbuilt in the modern era. The balance wasn't great in V either but somehow Petra is still OP. No gold for being beaten to a wonder is poo poo.

Oh I should say that there's basically no reason to stick to a tall empire anymore, which is a big loss from V. I know people hated corruption and any other mechanic thst made managing huge empires more difficult but there's basically nothing now except district building costs.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 31, 2016

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Is it possible to lose money? I receive about +300 per turn because of being the suzerain of Amsterdam and sending all my trade caravans to it.

Also, looks like the best Earth TSL map pack from Civ 5 is back for Civ 6:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/ynamp-yet-not-another-maps-pack-for-civ6.25395/

It's Gedemon's Yet Not Another Earth Map, I exclusively played on it for my last 700 hours in Civ5.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

eXXon posted:

City states: I think I like envoys better than buying up city states with gold, but you can't use spies on city states anymore. Also, they're way too weak and easy to conquer, even for the AI. It's still difficult to stop other players from loving with your city states.

I actually like them this way, it provides more interaction. I always wanted a reason to role-play as the superpower that maintains garrisons throughout the world, and squishy CS provide a good excuse to station a couple units there if the surezain bonus is important to your plans.

eXXon posted:

Government/civics: I like the idea of the policy cards but there are too many of them and most are worthless. Changing your entire set of government policies every time you discover a new civic just encourages boring micromanagement.

We are in complete agreement here.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Game Breaking Bug: Founding Religion (self.civ)

quote:

When you found a Religion on the turn your city gains a new Citizen, it converts less than half your citzens to your religion. This means you can never train missionaries or increase the number of citizens following your religion.

This is a ridiculous error that make it into the game. =( Was the first to found a Religion, but now cannot make any use of it.

Wounder if the AI suffers the same effect. Though it sounds like once you gain +1 or -1 population you can then create them? So not really game breaking, just another logical flaw in the game.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I don't think growing would help, it's a minority religion so I think the new citizen wouldn't follow it. Starving down a size (or building a settler) probably would work though.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think a massive improvement would be zoning a district rather than having to build one.

EG: When your city has reached <X> population, in that turn you can zone a new district. Make a big deal out of it too so that it feels like you've accomplished something cool with your city growing.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I finally had the naval battle of Harald's dreams. I played a game on a Fractal map, and it was exactly the map I was looking for. There was a large northern continent that led to a single chokepoint down to the southern continent, and the ocean between us was about 8 or so tiles so I could see them amassing their fleet and responded in kind. England were also on the southern continent and conquered Japan's coastal capital, so at one point we had almost every ocean tile filled with naval/embarked units.

Unfortunately our fun got cut short by Germany who had a massive science lead on the rest of us. I was second in science and Germany was still able to declare a war of colonization against me. They hit the information era around 1600 despite having a smaller empire than I had. They launched an attack with modern armor and mechanized infantry, but my 10 rank 6-7 field cannons made short of work of them. I probably would have died if they didn't leave so much of their forces on their home continent (had spies all over their empire). Eventually my spies helped me catch up and with Germany 2 Mars module away from a science victory, I started nuking all of their cities. I have now launched thermonuclear weapons at every city they have, and they are 1 module away. I might be able to get units over their quickly enough to mop up, but I've never enjoyed closing out games with force in any Civ game so I'll chalk it up as a loss and try to go for a cultural win yet again. I've only managed a cultural victory once in my first game as America, and that was accidental as it triggered the turn before I hit my science win.

I'll probably step up to immortal next time. The game is definitely a lot easier than previous Civ games.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

eXXon posted:

Great people: Generally sucky in VI. I don't like that you can't use them to build unique buildings anymore and you have no choice as to what they do. Meh. I almost never bother with generating great works because there are fewer ways to earn them than in V, it seems.
I think the unique Great People are generally good. I like that one Great Merchant will give me a bank with two slots for Great Works, and another will give me a permanent Economic Policy slot. There are a few too many "meh" ones, but in general they are better, and Great Writers/Artists/Musicians all having multiple charges somewhat balances out more limited ways to get them. I do wish that we could burn through unwanted Great People for Golden Ages though, in a scaling system like Civ IV (each extra Golden Age costs more Great People and they must all be of different kinds) so you could make use of the more lackluster ones or those extra cultural types that don't have anywhere to put their works.

eXXon posted:

I'm going to strongly disagree because this is the best part of the game for me (well maybe the second best behind city planning). Lots of situational cards is perfect for the way the system is set up.

eXXon posted:

Oh I should say that there's basically no reason to stick to a tall empire anymore, which is a big loss from V. I know people hated corruption and any other mechanic thst made managing huge empires more difficult but there's basically nothing now except district building costs.
This is how it should be ("tall" being competitive with a large empire is a dumb idea that needed to die), but district building costs don't really scale with a large empire. More cities means more trade routes and more overlapping factory zones which nicely counteracts any district scaling. I would call this a gain rather than a loss. But they really should bring back some sort of production automation for those who get sick of managing a dozen+ cities. City governors were a thing in past Civ games and I don't see why they shouldn't return.

eXXon posted:

Incredibly balanced? Wow, no. That definitely does not describe Civ VI. It seems better than Civ V and BE on launch because it has more to do, but it's far from well balanced.
I actually agree with this though, I wouldn't use "incredibly balanced" to describe VI right now. For one thing, unique tile improvements are just so much worse than unique districts, which are generally awesome. Unique buildings are firmly in the middle of the two options.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

My biggest beef right now is that it is literally impossible to be friends with any Civilization. The only time I've been successful has been spreading my religion to the Kongo, and they fricken loved me. I started a new game and Japan immediately hated me because I was the Kongo and couldn't generate any faith so they thought I was the worst. Brazil was peeved that I generated great people (what was I supposed to do - just pass every time one came up?), and I thought I got lucky because I got Gorgo and all she wanted was for me to have never capitulated and to have fought a war, and I fought a war with Japan and conquered him so I figured she'd be happy, but no she comes at me with "what are you scared of fighting your weakling?!".

Then I got a Eureka, a city state was happy about it, and that meant that Germany was permanently pissed.

Most Civ traits seem to just be "let me win and completely ignore this aspect of the game or I HATE YOU". There has to be a way to repair relationships. In Civ V I could rely on opinions shifting over time with religion and then eventually ideologies, but now become the suzerain of one little city state and Germany hates you forever.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tom Tucker posted:

My biggest beef right now is that it is literally impossible to be friends with any Civilization. The only time I've been successful has been spreading my religion to the Kongo, and they fricken loved me. I started a new game and Japan immediately hated me because I was the Kongo and couldn't generate any faith so they thought I was the worst. Brazil was peeved that I generated great people (what was I supposed to do - just pass every time one came up?), and I thought I got lucky because I got Gorgo and all she wanted was for me to have never capitulated and to have fought a war, and I fought a war with Japan and conquered him so I figured she'd be happy, but no she comes at me with "what are you scared of fighting your weakling?!".

Then I got a Eureka, a city state was happy about it, and that meant that Germany was permanently pissed.

Most Civ traits seem to just be "let me win and completely ignore this aspect of the game or I HATE YOU". There has to be a way to repair relationships. In Civ V I could rely on opinions shifting over time with religion and then eventually ideologies, but now become the suzerain of one little city state and Germany hates you forever.

The AI is a loving trainwreck. Basically,

The Shortest Path posted:

Stick to multiplayer unless you enjoy yanking your hair out.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Their opinions just 'pop' too soon, I think. For example, Barbarossa shouldn't immediately hate you whenever you do something for a city state. He should hate you for doing it a second or third time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tom Tucker posted:

I met Teddy Roosevelt last night, and he seemed like a swell guy. He even said "thanks for keeping the peace on the continent", so I figured we were friends. He declared war on me not five turns later. :(

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'll admit I don't actually have the game bit, but from everything I'm reading the just sounds like the reactions are too extreme. It's OK if they think a bit less of you for doing something a caricature of the leader reasonably wouldn't approve of in "character". It's not OK for AI to declare you their sworn enemy for interacting, however much or little, with a whole game mechanic.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I'm glad it's not just me hating the quotes. I just visualize skinny jeans, liberal arts educations, and hipster glasses when reading most of them.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

It's like they were chosen by the kind of person whose response to visiting the Seven Wonders would be :jerkbag:.

Well not to sperg or anything, but I'd probably :jerkbag: at the Seven Wonders too since only 1 of them remains (Pyramids). Unless you've got a Tardis in your garage, in which case sign me the gently caress up.

Magil Zeal posted:

Depends on who you ask. I think it's better than Civ V on every level but for some the current bugginess of the game/exploits/AI behavior can ruin it. I don't think it's better than IV but that's because I dislike one unit per tile and think it fundamentally undermines Civ in too many ways to be beneficial to the game. So personal opinion there, largely. I don't know if it's possible to get a consensus on that because V vs. IV is still so divisive.

I think the corps/armies + support units is a great compromise between 1UPT and stacks of doom. I'd like to see that concept expanded a bit (i.e. be able to escort artillery with infantry), and I think corps/armies are still a little underpowered - I've seen too many mech infantry armies actually at a disadvantage against a single mech infantry due to some other modifiers. I think the bonus strength needs to scale more, or unlock new abilities/promotions at least.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The civic policies are really growing on me -- I'm starting to look at them whenever I have just begun or ended a war. I'm not interested in taxi-squad constant replacement, but the sudden boosts to war or peacetime footings have been great. Civ IV gave me clear religious wars and VI has given me other clear agendas for AI aggression. The main problem I have is that the AI never seems to tech up on Prince and I am not interested in higher difficulty levels.

The quotes are also growing on me. The Arthur C. Clarke one on Astrology is my current favorite of Civ VI.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

AlphaKretin posted:

I'll admit I don't actually have the game bit, but from everything I'm reading the just sounds like the reactions are too extreme. It's OK if they think a bit less of you for doing something a caricature of the leader reasonably wouldn't approve of in "character". It's not OK for AI to declare you their sworn enemy for interacting, however much or little, with a whole game mechanic.

Exactly - and this effect should be able to counteracted by spreading your religion, having similar governments, giving gifts, etc. Right now their primary trait seems to be outsized and all I see at the top of my screen is angry faces.

At higher difficulty levels the AI still sucks at warfare, but I have to say it was incredibly satisfying when Japan came at me with 15 warriors right as I got iron working, upgraded all my guys to Ngao Mbeba (no iron requirement and no movement cost to forests) and chased their army back to Kyoto like the loving Predator picking them off one by one as they slogged through the rainforest.

Still the best Civ at launch (compared to 4 and 5). Unique great people is an awesome change. I get excited when I see a great merchant coming up who can give me great work slots during my culture victory game and actually work to make that happen, and I can actively do so by doing projects in my cities or spending some gold or faith. Then I see an engineer pops up and all he does is build walls and I go thanks I'm all set. It makes the great people experience much more varied. They even did it a bit with great artists with the "type" of art they create being relevant to themeing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm glad it's not just me hating the quotes. I just visualize skinny jeans, liberal arts educations, and hipster glasses when reading most of them.

I don't give a flying gently caress what Lorne Michaels said about wheels. I don't want to hear Scott Adams's thoughts on anything, let along engineering. And do they have to play the quotes every time you get a future tech? :rant:

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Oh and today I saw a goody hut on a foreign continent one tile away from two different German city borders and one tile away from a road just... How, Civ VI AI?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tom Tucker posted:

Oh and today I saw a goody hut on a foreign continent one tile away from two different German city borders and one tile away from a road just... How, Civ VI AI?

Can AI players use those?

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

prefect posted:

Can AI players use those?

I've had AI beat me to them before and take a goody hut. I'm not sure if they get a bonus or it's more just taking it away from you.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Man, reading this thread and you'd think that Civ VI is the worst Civ ever. I have my problems and frustrations with it but it's miles and miles ahead of V at launch, I like a lot of the new systems and I can see that once they fix stuff like the spastic AI it will be one of the best Civ games ever.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
The increased variety and involvement in the spy game is great, but it really needs to be more passively implemented. I like the choices, but I'd prefer if the missions were higher impact but took longer to complete.

Also seriously missing the build queue and alert modes for the units. Playing LAN with my girlfriend just takes forever and leaves her waiting for much longer periods of time than Civ V. I tend to go large and wide (Because I did the Tradition/4 city build too many times), which doesn't increase the time per turn all that much when I can queue up half my tech tree and 6 buildings at a time in every city. But when I have to make production selections literally every turn, as well as dealing with spies every turn and an uncapped trade route limit... This game is a slog and a half.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Man, reading this thread and you'd think that Civ VI is the worst Civ ever. I have my problems and frustrations with it but it's miles and miles ahead of V at launch, I like a lot of the new systems and I can see that once they fix stuff like the spastic AI it will be one of the best Civ games ever.

I have complained a fair bit, but I'm also spending more time on Civ VI than I did on the last few Civs. I like it and I want it to be better.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

JVNO posted:

The increased variety and involvement in the spy game is great, but it really needs to be more passively implemented. I like the choices, but I'd prefer if the missions were higher impact but took longer to complete.

Offensive spying is awesome and good because they get fun promotions that make them better at certain things. Defensive spy game is a complete slog.

On the other hand, I've yet to have an AI use any spies on me over 3 full King games on standard... I do get alerts if people steal poo poo from me right?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There are a lot of extremely great design decisions, and lots of neat areas of polish that are welcome changes from Civ V... And yet, there are a lot of critically missing features (queues), janky UI decisions, and bullshit insane AI...

I have every confidence this will be the superior game, but it still needs some work.

Tom Tucker posted:

Offensive spying is awesome and good because they get fun promotions that make them better at certain things. Defensive spy game is a complete slog.

On the other hand, I've yet to have an AI use any spies on me over 3 full King games on standard... I do get alerts if people steal poo poo from me right?

Strange, I've noticed no issues with defensive spying other than having to reset their drat assignment what feels like every 2/3 turns. I've received notifications for successfully thwarting tech espionage and heists, as well as notifications when my enemy's spies succeed.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 31, 2016

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I don't know. There's some stuff I really like about it, some stuff I don't and a bunch of things that I'm still figuring out. Right now if I was going to sit down and play a game to completion, I'd probably go back to V, simply because I'm still learning VI and haven't wrapped my head around its completely.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm very, very glad that all of the major issues with the game, while definitely detrimental to the experience, are things that seem relatively easy fixes. The basis is just so, so good, and when those issues are fixed I'm going to put a lot of time into this game.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tom Tucker posted:

Play a game against Catherine de Medici. She loves spies. And you will get alerts -- she was robbing me blind until I put somebody on guard duty and kept arresting Christophe.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

The Shortest Path posted:

The AI is a loving trainwreck. Basically,

It's ridiculous. If you declare a surprise war (against a forward settling rear end in a top hat Civ :colbert: ) while Tomyris is in the game she'll denounce you over and over forever because she hates "backstabbers", thousands of years later, even after she herself has declared surprise wars and "wars of territorial expansion" (the loving nerve :ssj: ). Her hipocrisy knows no bounds.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

JVNO posted:

Strange, I've noticed no issues with defensive spying other than having to reset their drat assignment what feels like every 2/3 turns. I've received notifications for successfully thwarting tech espionage and heists, as well as notifications when my enemy's spies succeed.

Yeah, who'd decision was it to make it so defensive spying needs to be reset every 3 turns? When a player decides they want a spy in a place, they usually want said spy to stay there.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

This game has working multiplayer and is pretty, feels different than civ v, and is kind of cool and good

Playing with non horse economy players helps a lot too I m h o

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Just won a science victory on Deity game with Germany starting in the Industrial era.

The Hansa and Comm Hub in a diamond formation made for a whopping 150+ hammers in a single city and that was without a Ruhr Valley which I could have gotten had I not put my Theatre District in the wrong place.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Khagan posted:

Just won a science victory on Deity game with Germany starting in the Industrial era.

The Hansa and Comm Hub in a diamond formation made for a whopping 150+ hammers in a single city and that was without a Ruhr Valley which I could have gotten had I not put my Theatre District in the wrong place.

What's it like to start in an advanced era? I've never tried it in any civ game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Taeke posted:

I'm very, very glad that all of the major issues with the game, while definitely detrimental to the experience, are things that seem relatively easy fixes. The basis is just so, so good, and when those issues are fixed I'm going to put a lot of time into this game.

I'm optimistic that they will fix things with a few patches but I'm going to avoid playing until the first patch hits and see what they improve. I know Civ V had it's share of issues at launch, but I feel like the AI at least, while not great, was still a little more predictable (and wouldn't lose their poo poo over wars they asked you to join, etc.)

The only other thing I'd like to see them fix is to improve the diplomacy screen. It's really annoying getting the denouncement notification and then watching the game load another screen that just lets you say goodbye (till you research a specific tech). I really enjoyed Civ V's way of doing things with that screen. It was more balanced whereas this feels like I'm watching an animators demo reel every single time, and it gets old fast.