Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I really love the tactical Mario Bros. Nice job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Does Luigi have a sling of some sort? Because carrying that around in your hands is going to get old fast.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

Does Luigi have a sling of some sort? Because carrying that around in your hands is going to get old fast.

he will indeed have a sling.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

So I've gathered most of the objects needed for an RJ MacReady costume.

Before I asked if anyone had suggestions about a nice stretchy rubber material, but now I think I'm going to go for a felt material, red glitter, and pipe cleaners for the little monster.

Here's the mechanism:

Creation of the mechanism with a $5 airsoft gun and fancy electrical tape casing "petri dish"
https://imgur.com/a/HwJED

Pressing down on the trigger from the top launches the spring up. I'll ham it up with the main theme playing from a speaker in one of my pvc flame thrower tanks. So even if it's not scary looking, the jump scare will be worth it!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What do you guys recommend for dealing with foggy lenses? I've got this mask I'm working on. I attached a piece of fabric to cover the mouth, and some lenses in the eyes, and they fog up like a bitch because my breath is basically directed straight up to them. I've heard of anti-fogging solutions, but I'm not sure how well they work or if they're worth the price. Should I be looking to vent my breath in another direction, get the anti-fog solution, or be looking for some other thing I haven't thought of yet? I'll take any ideas you guys can give me.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

neogeo0823 posted:

What do you guys recommend for dealing with foggy lenses? I've got this mask I'm working on. I attached a piece of fabric to cover the mouth, and some lenses in the eyes, and they fog up like a bitch because my breath is basically directed straight up to them. I've heard of anti-fogging solutions, but I'm not sure how well they work or if they're worth the price. Should I be looking to vent my breath in another direction, get the anti-fog solution, or be looking for some other thing I haven't thought of yet? I'll take any ideas you guys can give me.

I'd stick some foam or rubber in there to seal up the path between my nose and eyes to vent it elsewhere.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Anyone got a good source for tights that either come in men's sizes, or offer a women's size that's comparable to an average guy? I'm 5'11"m 33 inch waist and 30 inch inseam.

I need green tights for a Mermaid Man costume, but not having good luck on Amazon. All the ones I've found either don't come in a size that looks like it'd fit me, or are sold out of that size.
this one looks like it might fir in size D, but lots of people in the comments saying they run small.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You may want to look into dance tights - they are probably more expensive than buying whatever off amazon, but they will definitely make them sized for men.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Any recommendations on cheapish spray paint that won't look like rear end on leather?

I'm doing a fast (heh) Quicksilver for Halloween cause I'm lazy and it's mostly street clothes and stuff that I already have.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Disproportionation posted:

Any recommendations on cheapish spray paint that won't look like rear end on leather?

I'm doing a fast (heh) Quicksilver for Halloween cause I'm lazy and it's mostly street clothes and stuff that I already have.

I generally recommend rustoleum 2X. A spray can should be about $7. But just know that unless you're willing to spend money on fancy primers (which it sounds like you're not, and which is definitely not worth doing for a one off Halloween costume) that anything that moves or gets wrinkled (shoes, jackets) is likely to make paint chip and flake after a couple hours.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Anyone got a good source for tights that either come in men's sizes, or offer a women's size that's comparable to an average guy? I'm 5'11"m 33 inch waist and 30 inch inseam.

I need green tights for a Mermaid Man costume, but not having good luck on Amazon. All the ones I've found either don't come in a size that looks like it'd fit me, or are sold out of that size.
this one looks like it might fir in size D, but lots of people in the comments saying they run small.

I believe We love Colors sells men's tights.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Working on a Totoro costume with Gamera009 right now.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Funhilde posted:

Working on a Totoro costume with Gamera009 right now.

A super nice day to get high on cement fumes outside!

:haw:

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I've got a Roadhog costume that I managed to utterly break. Like, every single piece I made is broken due to 1.) lovely last minute construction 2.) every Junkrat cosplayer in a 50' radius jumping in to my arms.

I don't think I can get it fixed up in time for Halloween, so I was going to put together a Summer Fun! Roadhog. This would be some old swim trunks, Hawaiian shirt, inner tube on my right shoulder, a double barrel squirt gun, and a set of really long barbecue tongs.

I'm really stuck on what else to add though. I'd like to have something for my right elbow, and something to take the place of the reel where Roadhog's hook attaches as all of his alternate skins feature themed versions of this part.

Any suggestions?

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
Inflatable swim wing for the arm and a fishing reel or boat pulley?

related: I finally got around to painting up a serape, and it is getting dangerously close to high noon

I've really got to pick up some proper screen printing gear one of these days

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Spandexman.com has a shitload of various tights and costumes.

Be very aware it's a website filled with fetish suits and buff dudes in spandex, but on the other hand, they have an incredible selection of stuff.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
If you can't find any I have a pair of men's green tights I bought for a project and didn't use and couldn't return. I think they are medium or large so maybe too big.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

Inflatable swim wing for the arm and a fishing reel or boat pulley?

The swim wing idea has come up a lot and I'll be picking up a pair today. The fishing reel though? That's loving inspired. Thank you!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Planning on a suit of Imperial Guard armour like this for Halloween. I've got some cheap army surplus clothing for the base, but I was wondering how to do the armour plates. I've been looking at a foam armour tutorial and it seems simple enough. I'm wondering if I should get some plasticard or something to reinforce the shoulderpads when I build them, though. And I'm also looking for suspender straps or something that could help me attach all the pieces together. Any suggestions?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
You shouldn't need to use any plasticard to reinforce the foam, 1/2" EVA is plenty sturdy and holds it's shape well once it's heat-molded/sealed. You can find nylon webbing for straps at most any hardware store in a variety of colors and you might be able to get side release buckles there as well.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

BlackIronHeart posted:

You shouldn't need to use any plasticard to reinforce the foam, 1/2" EVA is plenty sturdy and holds it's shape well once it's heat-molded/sealed. You can find nylon webbing for straps at most any hardware store in a variety of colors and you might be able to get side release buckles there as well.

Having worked with EVA foam quite a bit now, once it's bent or curved (heat or glue or otherwise) it'll retain shape once glued into place or sprayed with a sealant. Sealing it with plasti-dip or the rustoleum equivalent (rubberized spray to seal cracks) will really lock shape. For what you want I'd recommend building it all up before spraying the plasti-dip. Spraying and then assembling might tear away some of the coating.

If it's the foam for mats/playrooms you get at Home Despot, I've noticed that the plastic coating on one side tends to shed the rubberized coating for whatever reason.

For straps, you can hit up a JoAnns pretty easily and find what you want. If you hit up a Goodwill or somesuch you might be able to find a backpack or other pack on the cheap where you can scavenge off the strap buckle.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have a simple question I think. I need to the change the white rubbery/vinyl bottoms of shoes from white to orange. They are a cheap pair of $15 shoes from Walmart, so I doubt it's real rubber. Feels almost like some kind of foam, but probably a vinyl.

Anyway, my go to idea was to tape it off and spray paint it, but I'm worried that will flake off afterwards. My other idea was RIT dye to dye it orange, but I'm not sure if it will hold to the material. Does anyone have experience doing this? Google is not very helpful.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

SpartanIV posted:

I have a simple question I think. I need to the change the white rubbery/vinyl bottoms of shoes from white to orange. They are a cheap pair of $15 shoes from Walmart, so I doubt it's real rubber. Feels almost like some kind of foam, but probably a vinyl.

Anyway, my go to idea was to tape it off and spray paint it, but I'm worried that will flake off afterwards. My other idea was RIT dye to dye it orange, but I'm not sure if it will hold to the material. Does anyone have experience doing this? Google is not very helpful.

What about sharpie or permanent ink you can paint onto it?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Funhilde posted:

What about sharpie or permanent ink you can paint onto it?

That's a pretty good idea. I'd be worried about using the small tip of a sharpie to try and apply it evenly, but if I crack one open and use a small brush I think that would work pretty well!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

SpartanIV posted:

That's a pretty good idea. I'd be worried about using the small tip of a sharpie to try and apply it evenly, but if I crack one open and use a small brush I think that would work pretty well!

They sell wider sharpies at art supply stores like Michael's.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I went to Michaels and couldn't find a decently sized Sharpie, so I went with an orange fabric pen and cut it open and painted it on the shoe. Turned out pretty great I think, but I'm still waiting for it to dry thoroughly. I also picked up some other dyes/paints to try if this doesn't work out.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Looks like it is working.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Update on my armor. I used a light gauze for backing and cut a piece of thick posterboard to go over the front of the foam and glued it all down. I'm getting air bubbles though despite my best efforts. When I seal the piece, will that help get rid of the bubbles as it seeps through everything? I'm using a glue/fabric glue/water solution.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Totoro should be done by tomorrow.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Totoro is done.
https://instagram.com/p/BMKv_6HhZ1s/

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

It is like some kind of Silent Hill poo poo. haha

ether
May 20, 2001

We had out annual halloween party last night (in a former prison, which makes for great industrial shots) and I managed to grab second place in the costume contest. Without further ado, the executioner from Resident Evil.

The axe is a beast to lift for a prolonged time weighing in at around 5kg, but it can take a beating. Took about a week to build everything and it was a real head-turner when entering the room. (including scaring a few people, which was a bonus)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ether posted:

We had out annual halloween party last night (in a former prison, which makes for great industrial shots) and I managed to grab second place in the costume contest. Without further ado, the executioner from Resident Evil.

The axe is a beast to lift for a prolonged time weighing in at around 5kg, but it can take a beating. Took about a week to build everything and it was a real head-turner when entering the room. (including scaring a few people, which was a bonus)

What the heck got first if you only got second?

ether
May 20, 2001

A ridiculously well-done (and well-acted) Mad Hatter took the first spot, it was a more or less a toss up according to the judges.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
Went out to two parties., we got 1st place in both costume contests.
here is us with Bro-seidon the judge of one of the contests

my mustache fell off becasue I'm a big sweaty goon

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

I am hereby formally declaring my intentions to build my first cosplay.
I plan to make this version of the Shy Guy from Super Mario Bros.
I work at an animatronics shop, so I have no shortage of supplies. I plan to make the hands direct lever driven extensions. I have salvaged a fair amount of white plastics. My goal is to fabricate the mech so it mimics bone and muscle tissue. Then I will make a stretchy fabric skin with some transparency, airbrush it and maybe add a little gloss texture.
I may also make a mech to slightly extend the mask off my own head to really accentuate the alien nature of the creature.

I also have some spare UV led strips. That may be a fun addition.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

r00tn00b posted:

Went out to two parties., we got 1st place in both costume contests.
here is us with Bro-seidon the judge of one of the contests

my mustache fell off becasue I'm a big sweaty goon

Broseidon is loving awesome.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Finished Totoro yesterday and got our full group into costume. I whipped up a quick soot sprite costume, repurposed my daughter's older costume into a chibi Totoro and found the stuff to turn my husband into Dad. Big ups to Gamera009 for wanting to make this thing - he did all the foam parts and the rigging to wear it. I have a few more progress photos if people are interested.

https://youtu.be/zDpVhi9-k34

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
After much last-minute stress, I finished my McCree costume just in time for the Halloween party weekend!

More pics showing detail here: http://imgur.com/gallery/FPR6b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Patattack posted:

After much last-minute stress, I finished my McCree costume just in time for the Halloween party weekend!

More pics showing detail here: http://imgur.com/gallery/FPR6b

You did so good!! I love it!

I did a Reaper mask this year -- didn't get to do a whole costume because money + time, but a big ol' hoodie did the job fine.