Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Potato Salad posted:

I post on SA :colbert:

In the D&D USPOL thread to be specific...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Potato Salad posted:

DJT stares across the table, scratching out black numbers on a paper before him with his sharpie.

"Mein Furher, what are -"

"Check numbers."

A pause. "....Mein Furher?"

"These are your check numbers." DJT crosses through another scrawled four digit number on the loose-leaf page before him.

"WELL, you ARE tightening the race in....Michigan and Wi..Wisconsin."

DJT grins. Turning to his aides, "Ivanka, prepare my jet."

If polling trends continue as they've been for the last week he will be ahead by election day. Just so you know.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I can understand that if you're a fascist, or have fascist opinions, but don't know you're a fascist - you'd vote for the guy with the fascist policies. What I don't get is how people can vote for someone who is so clearly also an incompetent moron. Presumably these people care a great deal about the US. How can they legitimately vote for a clown who has no clue about what he is doing? Like, the 'I know more about ISIS than the generals' thing. I mean, it's such an obviously stupid thing to say, that I cannot comprehend how that alone is not enough for people say 'nahhhh, that guy is probably not a great idea for president.'. I guess it doesn't matter because Hillary might be corrupt and is Bill creeper (nevermind that those exact same things, just orders of magnitude worse, also apply for the cheeto).

They care more about supporting the idea of America they've built up where they, as WASPs are the most persecuted men alive and those evil liberals are coming to steal what is their birthright as the true makers of the nation. They can ignore anything else in the service of that narrative, even a man as horrible as Trump.

That's not even getting into the white supremacists adoring the chance to get a candidate that represents them so openly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Revelation 2-13 posted:

What I don't get is how people can vote for someone who is so clearly also an incompetent moron.

Because LOCK HER UP is a thing people legitimately believe, not just at Trump rallies

At this point I'm actually stressed out by the idea of going to work because I'm surrounded by people who willingly believe this and I made the mistake of letting slip that I voted Hillary

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Ciaphas posted:

Because LOCK HER UP is a thing people legitimately believe, not just at Trump rallies

At this point I'm actually stressed out by the idea of going to work because I'm surrounded by people who willingly believe this and I made the mistake of letting slip that I voted Hillary

Jesus. Be careful the next few weeks.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ciaphas posted:

Similar boat, sort of. If you ever wondered, they do laugh at you if you think Fox News is conservative and watch the MSM.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ogmius815 posted:

If polling trends continue as they've been for the last week he will be ahead by election day. Just so you know.

The trend where, before Friday and Comey's release, undecideds and Johnson voters came home to Trump as expected to the tune of 2 points for Trump and support for Clinton remained the same, and the trend after Friday through today where Clinton's support has not backslid an inch while early votes in battlegrounds continue to push DJT out of NC and Nevada?

Those trends?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Ogmius815 posted:

Post your map.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I might have misread something, so my apologies but... what we don't know, since you know we only have Podesta's emails and not, you know, Bernie's too, is if it went to them too. It's why poo poo like this is bad. Wikileaks intentionally drops poo poo without context with a really specific reason.

I agree, and this is seriously the only wikileaks thing that's bothered me so far. If Bernie's team got questions early too then I hope they come forward about it.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ogmius815 posted:

If weather trends the last week continue it will be 90 degrees in Michigan on Christmas Day.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Ogmius815 posted:

If oil price trends continue gas will cost nothing one month from now.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

skylined! posted:

If weather trends the last week continue it will be 90 degrees in Michigan on Christmas Day.

drat global warming.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ogmius815 posted:

Unironic disco stu argument

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I can understand that if you're a fascist, or have fascist opinions, but don't know you're a fascist - you'd vote for the guy with the fascist policies. What I don't get is how people can vote for someone who is so clearly also an incompetent moron. Presumably these people care a great deal about the US. How can they legitimately vote for a clown who has no clue about what he is doing? Like, the 'I know more about ISIS than the generals' thing. I mean, it's such an obviously stupid thing to say, that I cannot comprehend how that alone is not enough for people say 'nahhhh, that guy is probably not a great idea for president.'. I guess it doesn't matter because Hillary might be corrupt and is Bill creeper (nevermind that those exact same things, just orders of magnitude worse, also apply for the cheeto).

this is why the republicans laser-focus on how 1000000% awful the other candidate is every election - it papers over the large cracks in their coalition. Trump may have his personal problems, but how bad could it be compared to History's Greatest Monster Jimmy Clinton-Gore?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Ciaphas posted:

Regale them with stories of voter fraud and CTR checks.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

skylined! posted:

This is disingenuous. We have good reason to think that the weather in Michigan will become colder over the next two months. What good reason do we have to think that Trump will not continue to gain support?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
^^ the fact that HRC isn't seeing a backside and Trump hasn't lead once this entire race?

Ogmius815 posted:

So Johnson is going to fall to negative 5 percent?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ogmius815 posted:

This is disingenuous. We have good reason to think that the weather in Michigan will become colder over the next two months. What good reason do we have to think that Trump will not continue to gain support?

He has never led in the polls.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ogmius815 posted:

What good reason do we have to think that Trump will not continue to gain support?

Facts

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Phone posted:

All of you are just jealous that Trump made a huge and tremendous deal.

He's been honing his (R)president budget logic for an entire lifetime.

Gain public goodwill from tax cuts and jingoist spending increases (the biggest, best product... ahead of schedule!), then scold the Democrats for not running a surplus or creating a utopia after they regain control and manage the cleanup process (And under budget, because the product still wasn't good enough for meeeee to pay the bill)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ogmius815 posted:

i'd say reality and cause/effect relationships

also reminder to take your meds

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Ogmius815 posted:

You're right of course. We have good reason to believe that the weather in Michigan will become colder soon based on the history of temperature measurements and our understanding of weather patterns. To make the same prediction for polling would require us to have something like a history of polling data and an understanding of the political processHEY WAIT A SECOND

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

computer parts posted:

He has never led in the polls.

Why should we expect this to be replicated in the future?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

CascadeBeta posted:

^^ the fact that HRC isn't seeing a backside and Trump hasn't lead once this entire race?

So Johnson is going to fall to negative 5 percent?

He's arzying, but in fairness we still haven't seen much polling that fully captures the fallout from the FBI stuff

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah.

People want to feel as if both candidates are equally bad, because then they can easily dismiss any sort of critical thinking that comes to the election and feel as if they're part of this cool crew of anti-establishment. Bill Maher's latest new rules was about people dismissing both candidates because they're "equally bad" was that basically Americans actually use a lot of critical thinking towards watching a football game, but straight up dismiss it when it comes to thinking about elections.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

lozzle posted:

Post your map.

Check the most recent 538 updates- depending on where you draw your trendlines from. If you think Hillary's chances of winning are in an accelerated decline, then the tangent trend from Oct 26-31 would indicate DT will pull ahead by Nov 8th.

No idea if he'd have the map & EVs to pull it off, but the polling trends are less than encouraging.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ogmius815 posted:

every day i check to see if gravity still goes down instead of up before i leave the house. never can be too careful

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

This is disingenuous.

So was your original post, Disco Stu.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Everybody Arzying about the emails would do well to remember that there's still eight days until election day. Unless Comey releases information that shows Clinton definitively released classified information in these emails or whatever, it's going to fade in importance as the media shifts into "OH poo poo, LAST WEEK OF THE ELECTION!" Also Trump is likely to get overconfident and say something stupid between now and then, and that will probably get some attention. The reason why this got so much attention was because it was a super-slow news week.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Ogmius815 posted:

The same reason I expect you to make terrible posts in the future.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ogmius815 posted:

Recorded history, just like the weather.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

Because it is more reasonable than assuming it wouldn't

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Ogmius815 posted:

Past performance is an indicator of future results. :eng101:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

stones will never float

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Admiral Ray posted:

Regale them with stories of voter fraud and CTR checks.

I've had so many ways to argue the point but my own nerves and social ineptitude get in the way without fail

I'm just gonna have to try to be stoic and silent for a few weeks

(ed) and seek out OTC anti-anxiety meds probably

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 31, 2016

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

botany posted:

You're right of course. We have good reason to believe that the weather in Michigan will become colder soon based on the history of temperature measurements and our understanding of weather patterns. To make the same prediction for polling would require us to have something like a history of polling data and an understanding of the political processHEY WAIT A SECOND

The sample size of presidential elections that we have to study is really, really small. That's why the major projection people base their conclusions on what the polls are currently telling them, not on what they think will happen based on previous elections. We don't really know if Trump will continue to gain support, we just have to wait and see. We don't have much reason to think that he assuredly will just because he hasn't previously led.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

There's really no evidence that Trump is going to ever take the lead. The history of this election suggests that he has a hard ceiling, and he's never once broken it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

If Comey's email things are enough to give Trump a lead in the polls then it is literally impossible for Hillary Clinton to win so no point in worrying about it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
USPOL Nov: Collective Therapy Session For Posters With Election Related Stress And Anxiety Disorders: The Doctor Is In!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

boner confessor posted:

USPOL Nov: Collective Therapy Session For Posters With Election Related Stress And Anxiety Disorders: The Doctor Is In!

I thought you were a priest though.

• Locked thread