Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ogmius815 posted:

If polling trends continue as they've been for the last week he will be ahead by election day. Just so you know.

Good thing that's not how polling trends work then huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Majorian posted:

Glad Feingold's ahead at least.:unsmith:

Feingold is like, a lock right? He's well liked and his opponent is crazy. If 2010 hadn't been such a horrible wave year he'd never have lost.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Majorian posted:

I'd be pretty incensed by this if it wasn't such a loving bummer. :( Jesus Christ, what is wrong with the northeast?
Haha, yeah, this problem exclusive to the Northeast.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Ogmius815 posted:

But we don't have anything comparable to compare Trump's support to.

So you think Trump's demagogue style of politicking is a new thing, huh?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's the only place you get unions anymore.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Let me be clear

you are a stupid mother fucker

You are a stupid paranoid ignorant mother fucker who literally doesn't understand how polling works and the fact you continue to voluntarily chose to panic over what is obvious to the rest of the world to be minor fluctuations is a sign that you objectively lack the intellectual rigor or emotional stamina to participate in this thread

gently caress off forever

One poll went from Clinton +9 to a virtual dead heat in less than a weak. Does that seem like a "minor fluctuation" to you? I'd challenge that characterization. That seems much more like a significant signal.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not, I just...I dunno, tend to expect more out of them. And then you hear NY and Boston police union heads or whatever, and they're so much more overtly racist than any Southerner I've ever met.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

One poll went from Clinton +9 to a virtual dead heat in less than a weak. Does that seem like a "minor fluctuation" to you? I'd challenge that characterization. That seems much more like a significant signal.

One poll is not significant. Try again, idiot.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

That's the only place you get unions anymore.

Pretty sure the cops in the south are just as bad even without their strong unions

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

BarbarianElephant posted:

How do you "deal" with Trump running the country into the ground while persecuting minorities?

The problem with Trump isn't just his boorish manners, but mainly his insane policies.

The same we are going to have to deal with it when the GOP have someone other than Trump on the ticket in 2020. People suffer until they come to their senses and vote for the Democrats (who will still be a flawed, lessor of two-evils).

Trump's policies may be insane, but the majority of the country wants them. If you have a more skilled politician delivering those policies, who doesn't have decades of egregiously racist and misogynistic behavior on their record, they would win in a landslide (against Hillary at least).

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

I need some help. Can anyone recommend some books or whatever if I wanted to deep dive into the history of:

*The political History of the Civil Righta Movement
*The AIDS crisis, in the US and abroad in countries with universal health care
*LGBT Rights history, especially Marriage equality
*A history of the southern strategy and Goldwater Republicans

Basically anything that involves Identidy politics and the United States.

I don't have any suggestions other than And The Band Played On, and maybe Burack's Tough Love: Sexuality, Compassion, and the Christian Right, but that reminds me: Gaetan Dugas, aka Patient Zero of the AIDS epidemic and a villain in ATBPO, was without caveat exonerated as the source of HIV/AIDS in North America.

quote:

Mr. Dugas was once blamed for setting off the entire American AIDS epidemic, which traumatized the nation in the 1980s and has since killed more than 500,000 Americans. The New York Post even described him with the headline “The Man Who Gave Us AIDS.”

But after a new genetic analysis of stored blood samples, bolstered by some intriguing historical detective work, scientists on Wednesday declared him innocent.

The strain of H.I.V. responsible for almost all AIDS cases in the United States, which was carried from Zaire to Haiti around 1967, spread from there to New York City around 1971, researchers concluded in the journal Nature. From New York, it spread to San Francisco around 1976.

The new analysis shows that Mr. Dugas’s blood, sampled in 1983, contained a viral strain already infecting men in New York before he began visiting gay bars in the city after being hired by Air Canada in 1974.

The researchers also reported that originally, Mr. Dugas was not even called Patient Zero — in an early epidemiological study of cases, he was designated Patient O, for “outside Southern California,” where the study began. The ambiguous circular symbol on a chart was later read as a zero, stoking the notion that blame for the epidemic could be placed on one man.

Myths like that of Patient Zero echo in prevention efforts even today, experts said. Many vulnerable groups, including young gay men and African women, fail to use protective drugs or avoid testing because they fear being stigmatized or accused of being carriers.

Reflecting on the epidemic’s early days, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, then a doctor treating AIDS patients and now the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said he remembered it seeming plausible at the time that one person was responsible.

In hindsight, he added, the idea now seems absurd. “We were unaware of how widespread it was in Africa,” Dr. Fauci said. “Also, we thought, based on very little data, that it was only about two years from infection to death.”

Occasionally I'll talk to older LGBT people who lived through the 80s and early 90s, and they say it's impossible to overstate how traumatizing that time was. Young healthy people wasted away and their families didn't submit obituaries because they didn't want the shame of "after a long illness" and "survived by longtime companion," and Reagan's people literally laughed as they died.

Reagan did a lot of evil things and pretending AIDS didn't matter because only the homosexuals got it is one of the worst :smith:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

I hate to be that guy, but post your map.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

a significant signal that something is wrong with that poll

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ogmius815 posted:

One poll went from Clinton +9 to a virtual dead heat in less than a weak. Does that seem like a "minor fluctuation" to you?

yes. you do not understand how polls work. you are freaking out over something you do not understand, and this generates amusement when you post these turds in the thread

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

Trump's policies may be insane, but the majority of the country wants them.
Show me the statistics saying this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

Individual polls aren't very useful or predictive. You have to look at them in the aggregate, where we don't yet see Clinton losing significant ground, even though Republicans are, as should be expected, filtering back to Trump after a couple weeks of him not publicly making a complete rear end of himself. That has happened before and does not mean he's going to exceed his previous high-water mark.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TyrantWD posted:

75% of white people support Trump, you heard it here.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Ogmius815 posted:

Ogmius, Ogmius, think of it this way: shut up. People have told you all the things they can tell you about why it's not as bad as you think. At least arzy about the Senate.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

Glad Feingold's ahead at least.:unsmith:

Yeah as long as its 51-50 we can do this. We can get the courts on our side and then Hillary will probably have to do at least six years of executive fiat. Not a preety way to govern, but when the other party has gerrymandered its way to house dominance its how it will have to be done.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Covok posted:

I expect Trump to get better in the polls as we near election day as a) people who've already voted are kind of out of those polls now and a lot of Dems voted already and b) partisan ties are powerful. I don't think he'll overcome Clinton as his ceiling of support has been a hard one this entire election cycle

they still get counted. They just filter them into "voted" and "will vote" in the crosstabs.

Also:
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/793124880921333769
https://twitter.com/SeanTrende/status/793130851970060288

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ogmius815 posted:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You are a stupid paranoid ignorant mother fucker who literally doesn't understand how polling works

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Ogmius815 posted:

*ignores half-dozen polls that didn't change from last week to last two days*

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Ogmius815 posted:

Do you understand anything at all about statistical significance

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

The same we are going to have to deal with it when the GOP have someone other than Trump on the ticket in 2020. People suffer until they come to their senses and vote for the Democrats (who will still be a flawed, lessor of two-evils).

Trump's policies may be insane, but the majority of the country wants them. If you have a more skilled politician delivering those policies, who doesn't have decades of egregiously racist and misogynistic behavior on their record, they would win in a landslide (against Hillary at least).

Trump's insanity is the only reason he's gotten this far. Skilled, groomed, polished politicians can't stump for those policies, because they know that they're toxic to the people who are really bankrolling the GOP.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TyrantWD posted:

If you have a more skilled politician delivering those policies, who doesn't have decades of egregiously racist and misogynistic behavior on their record, they would win in a landslide (against Hillary at least).

That is not true.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Show me the statistics saying this.

Facebook likes are the only poll that matter.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

WampaLord posted:

One poll is not significant. Try again, idiot.

Okay. The polling average has gone from Clinton +7 on RCP on October 19, to Clinton +2.5 today. That seems like significant tightening to me.

I'm not saying that Trump is going to win the election. I acknowledge that, as of this moment, it's more likely than not that he will lose. But I'm telling you that he could win. This thread doesn't believe that's true though, it thinks the election is over already and that is mistaken.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Square wheels totally work, you just have to get rid of the extreme angles on the sides.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Talmonis posted:

So how much looking the other way (or hell, joining in) will the cops be doing when Trump loses badly, and his followers start attacking minority neighborhoods?

In New York at least, I don't anticipate this happening and I do think the NYPD would act to restore order in such a situation.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
How did Bayh's lead erode so badly?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Samuel Clemens posted:

That was supposed to be their plan for this year. Turns out the GOP base really doesn't like the idea of an inoffensive establishment pick.

After the shenanigans that happened this year, that even forced donors like the Kochs to the sidelines, you can be certain that the next RNC chairman is going to fiddle with the rules to ensure that the most "anti-establishment" Republican to choose from will be Rand Paul.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
10s of millions of people will vote for Donald Trump this should bother you in a deeply queer way

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

TyrantWD posted:

The USA has managed to survive Republicans before and will survive them again. Trump really is something "special" on the crazy-meter. Romney and McCain were *not* just "Trump with manners."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hollismason posted:

10s of millions of people will vote for Donald Trump this should bother you in a deeply queer way

I figured out a long time ago that most people really don't research anything when they vote.

Like I would not be surprised if 10 million people are voting for Trump because "oh I heard Hillary was bad but I never looked into it, and Trump's going against Hillary so I better vote for him".

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

computer parts posted:

He has never led in the polls.

SAYS WHO? SAYS WHO?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hollismason posted:

This has been known since the primary, you should have dealt with it by now.

Yes, a chunk of America is terrible, I'm constantly amazed that this is news to anyone.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Brony Car posted:

Some poo poo came out about him not really living in Indiana or something and the press made a big deal out of it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brony Car posted:

Bashing him for constantly being out of state, I think. Don't live in Indiana.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ogmius815 posted:

But I'm telling you that he could win. This thread doesn't believe that's true though, it thinks the election is over already and that is mistaken.

shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ogmius815 posted:

Okay. The polling average has gone from Clinton +7 on RCP on October 19, to Clinton +2.5 today. That seems like significant tightening to me.

I'm not saying that Trump is going to win the election. I acknowledge that, as of this moment, it's more likely than not that he will lose. But I'm telling you that he could win. This thread doesn't believe that's true though, it thinks the election is over already and that is mistaken.

And it could be 90 degrees in Michigan on Christmas.

Because an undetected meteor could hit earth.

And we lack Bruce Willis to drop a nuke into it.

Because this is actually a bad timeline.

Because you are in it holy poo poo shut up.

• Locked thread