Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Ogmius815 posted:

Okay. The polling average has gone from Clinton +7 on RCP on October 19, to Clinton +2.5 today. That seems like significant tightening to me.

I'm not saying that Trump is going to win the election. I acknowledge that, as of this moment, it's more likely than not that he will lose. But I'm telling you that he could win. This thread doesn't believe that's true though, it thinks the election is over already and that is mistaken.

I don't think he can. The improvement in his polling has largely been driven by abandonment of Johnson. Big surprise- 'Independent Libertarians' are rallying around the Republicans. But all this is to say Hillary's polling in particular hasn't suffered quite as much- Trump's just improved.

Even acknowledging this, he basically requires significant depression of Democratic turnout while converting the vast majority of remaining Johnson voters to his side. Even if the grand majority of Johnson voters goes his way, he will have at best a 1 point lead on Hillary in the popular vote. Even that doesn't give him the map he needs to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brony Car posted:

How did Bayh's lead erode so badly?

Bayh is a terrible, terrible third-way Democrat who has lots of ties to Wall Street. I'd still rather have him win, if it helps the Dems take control of the Senate, but even so, he's awful.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ogmius815 posted:

Okay. The polling average has gone from Clinton +7 on RCP on October 19, to Clinton +2.5 today. That seems like significant tightening to me.

I'm not saying that Trump is going to win the election. I acknowledge that, as of this moment, it's more likely than not that he will lose. But I'm telling you that he could win. This thread doesn't believe that's true though, it thinks the election is over already and that is mistaken.

polls of potential theoretical national popular vote outcomes are necessarily decoupled from the electoral college, which actually votes for the president

again, it's staggering how uninformed you are about this process, and yet you're antagonizing yourself to the edge of panic anyway

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So did Leon Trotsky 2012 clone himself or something?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The general public has the decision making ability of Two-Face from Batman, but instead of Lady Liberty the coin just says Racist on one side Not Racist on the other

I hope this insight helps

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Ogmius815 posted:

the RCP average was down to C+.9 at one point. Yet somehow that trend didn't continue and it was back up to +7 later! Isn't that odd?

Yes obviously he COULD win, but the chances are very slim and there are zillions of people working and donating to make sure it doesn't happen. Still! Even though this thread thinks HRC will win! Weird how that works

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Adam Vegas posted:

Do you understand anything at all about statistical significance
Do you? What does it have to do with this?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

boner confessor posted:

polls of potential theoretical national popular vote outcomes are necessarily decoupled from the electoral college, which actually votes for the president

again, it's staggering how uninformed you are about this process, and yet you're antagonizing yourself to the edge of panic anyway

Yes obviously the electoral college exists. But movements in state polls are-get this-correlated with movement in national polls. If the national polls are tightening, it's very likely that the race has tightened in key battleground states like North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Florida (all of which are states Trump more or less must win to win the election, barring a surprise in a state like Colorado, Wisconsin, or Michigan). Major polling aggregators like 538 use national polls to fill in gaps in state polling to figure out where various races are. The national popular vote doesn't elect the president, but national polls do give us useful information about the race.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Brony Car posted:

How did Bayh's lead erode so badly?

There has been a glut of bad polls released recently, with one firm being run by Ted Cruz's old campaign manager that's just come on the scene.

Most of the more accurate polls won't be released until later this week and we'll really know the events of Comey-gate.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Crowsbeak posted:

So did Leon Trotsky 2012 clone himself or something?

Hey man, I'm only Arzying about the Senate.

I was just trolling the people Arzying about Clinton. Og seems to be serious.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ogmius815 posted:

Yes obviously the electoral college exists. But movements in state polls are-get this-correlated with movement in national polls. If the national polls are tightening, it's very likely that the race has tightened in key battleground states like North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Florida (all of which are states Trump more or less must win to win the election, barring a surprise in a state like Colorado, Wisconsin, or Michigan). Major polling aggregators like 538 use national polls to fill in gaps in state polling to figure out where various races are. The national popular vote doesn't elect the president, but national polls do give us useful information about the race.

Trump is not going to win Pennsylvania, Colorado, Wisconsin, or Michigan.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Jesus Christ dude go loving outside instead of stressing yourself out over literally nothing. Or like, smoke weed, I don't know.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ogmius815 posted:

your brain and your soul have no value to yourself or anyone else on earth

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

You know what, I like the phrase bed wetting better than I like Arzying. If only because people who come in here trying to make everyone else panic can then be called out for pissing in other people's beds.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to say that there's no chance whatsoever Trump could win. There is definitely a part of me that is stressing out over this more than I should.

But is there a point to freaking? Not really. I am going to vote, and then I am going to find other things to do for the rest of the day, perhaps nervously checking twitter a bit too often, until finally it ends and I can sleep.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Pakled posted:

Trump is not going to win Pennsylvania, Colorado, Wisconsin, or Michigan.

Well if that's true he has no chance of winning the election. But the evidence doesn't support the degree of certainty you're expressing.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ogmius815 posted:

Post a map containing enough states flipping to ensure an electoral vote victory for trump.

Then float to the center of Lake Michigan and wait for the loving Christmas meteor.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Majorian posted:

Bayh is a terrible, terrible third-way Democrat who has lots of ties to Wall Street. I'd still rather have him win, if it helps the Dems take control of the Senate, but even so, he's awful.

I'm okay with Bayh, mostly because I'm not sure you'd be able to get a better democrat elected in Indiana. As long as he doesn't gently caress over the caucus and helps give us the majority I'm pretty okay about it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ogmius815 posted:

Yes obviously the electoral college exists. But movements in state polls are-get this-correlated with movement in national polls. If the national polls are tightening, it's very likely that the race has tightened in key battleground states like North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Florida (all of which are states Trump more or less must win to win the election, barring a surprise in a state like Colorado, Wisconsin, or Michigan).

lmao you really do not understand how polls work. incredible

you could just, you know, look at those state polls aside from ignoring all the polls which don't feed your insane need to feel bad about reality

Maxwell Lord posted:

But is there a point to freaking? Not really. I am going to vote, and then I am going to find other things to do for the rest of the day, perhaps nervously checking twitter a bit too often, until finally it ends and I can sleep.

i think with a lot of these idiots it's a combination of a need to express inner anxiety and having no better outlet than an internet thread, combined with the turbonerd desire to always be correct and right in an internet argument and thus refusing to concede the point despite widespread mockery and people pointing out critical flaws and ignorant assumptions with the argument

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 31, 2016

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
+2 from my fiancee and I here in Colorado for Hillary, even though we both hated doing it.

Also +2 for ColoradoCare. Cmon you stupid rural fuckers look at how loving stupid buying health insurance through marketplaces make the process

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Super Librarian posted:

Yeah, the race is in a different place now because millions of people have already voted. The potential swing based on scandals/revelations/etc will necessarily be smaller because a significant portion of votes are already locked in.

As of last Friday, it was estimated that 12.6 million votes had already been entered. For perspective, 129 million votes were cast for the whole 2012 general election, so we're as much as 10% of the vote in already, let alone all the votes that were done over the weekend.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

If the national polls are tightening, it's very likely that the race has tightened in key battleground states like North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Florida (all of which are states Trump more or less must win to win the election, barring a surprise in a state like Colorado, Wisconsin, or Michigan).

They haven't tightened that much in Pennsylvania or NC, and as you point out, Trump must win those states, if he hopes to win. Post-Comey polls don't show much of a shift in Trump's favor in these states so far.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ogmius815 posted:

Well if that's true he has no chance of winning the election. But the evidence doesn't support the degree of certainty you're expressing.

gently caress you

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

+1 for H in Florida. I wish we didn't have so many uncontested Republicans at the lower level though, and even where they were contested, their often independent opponents often seemed to be worse.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously at this point whatever happens is out of our control. If Trump wins it's pretty much white America going all in on racism while everyone else stays home and ground games, fundraising, and campaigns were actually meaningless all along. If that's the case there's nothing anyone can really do about it so just enjoy the last week before the Trumpocalypse.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Ogmius815 posted:

But I'm telling you that he could win. This thread doesn't believe that's true though, it thinks the election is over already and that is mistaken.
Just FYI, this was word-for-word what CelestialScribe's argument was before he got probated.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Ogmius815 posted:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mel Mudkiper posted:

gently caress you

Cripes, chill out man

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Does CNN lean right or left?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

neither, cnn cravenly leans towards wherever the ratings indicate they would get more viewers

historically they're a little left on politics sort of but with a huge bias towards sensationalism and lean harder right on true crime stories and the like

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
That story Eichenwald was teasing last night is out: Donald Trump's Companies Destroyed Emails in Defiance of Court Orders

quote:

Over the course of decades, Donald Trump’s companies have systematically destroyed or hidden thousands of emails, digital records and paper documents demanded in official proceedings, often in defiance of court orders. These tactics—exposed by a Newsweek review of thousands of pages of court filings, judicial orders and affidavits from an array of court cases—have enraged judges, prosecutors, opposing lawyers and the many ordinary citizens entangled in litigation with Trump. In each instance, Trump and entities he controlled also erected numerous hurdles that made lawsuits drag on for years, forcing courtroom opponents to spend huge sums of money in legal fees as they struggled—sometimes in vain—to obtain records.
So something that would actually be a pretty big deal in a normal race, especially where a candidate had attacked his opponent over the same thing, but will probably be ignored because Trump.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

This does make me feel better, actually.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ogmius815 posted:

Post your loving map or get out.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
So following the news that Trump is stiffing his pollster to the tune of 3/4 of a million dollars, and following Romney's thing where he didn't really plan for any kind of concession in 2012, what do you suppose the projected outlay is for Trump's victory party, and do you suppose he's going to give a not-concession speech in front of a banner that says "President Trump".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Covok posted:

Their polling arm with ORC?

They had a slight Democratic lean last cycle.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Bushiz posted:

So following the news that Trump is stiffing his pollster to the tune of 3/4 of a million dollars, and following Romney's thing where he didn't really plan for any kind of concession in 2012, what do you suppose the projected outlay is for Trump's victory party, and do you suppose he's going to give a not-concession speech in front of a banner that says "President Trump".

There is 0% chance Trump writes a concession speech. I would peg the chances that he concedes at all right around "very slim". He will claim to be the rightful winner for four years on TrumpTV and laugh all the way to the bank. But no one but the worst deplorables will believe him or follow him because no one likes to back a loser.

That said, the fact Trump is stiffing his pollster probably indicates that he doesn't like the results he sees in his internals.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

loving Donna Brazile.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

Cripes, chill out man

how many times are we gonna keep dealing with the same poo poo before we stop assuming good faith and just tell them to gently caress off

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

This does make me feel better, actually.

Good, it should. Trump's not going to win NC or Colorado, unless the polls have been catastrophically wrong all this time.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

how many times are we gonna keep dealing with the same poo poo before we stop assuming good faith and just tell them to gently caress off

I don't agree with you, and think you shouldn't flip out at people either. No one is saying you should assume good faith, but if you think someone is trolling, ignore them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

TyrantWD posted:

With Bayh looking like he is done it seems like we are heading for an Obama 2012 margin for Hillary and GOP control of the Senate, so we still pretty hosed. Supreme Court stays 4-4, nothing gets done, then after four years of manufactured scandals and people on neither side of the aisle being happy with the state of things, Hillary gets replaced by the seemingly least offensive Republican establishment ticket imaginable - probably Rubio/Haley.

Honestly, I'd rather deal with Trump now, than have four years of nothing and then get Trumpism wrapped up in more delicate language.

They can't stonewall for 4 years. If it becomes too obvious, then Clinton will have plenty of cover to do a recess appointment to force the issue.

• Locked thread