Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kerrow posted:

4000 new posts in a day :stare:

uh, I hate to be THAT guy, but what the hell did happen in last 24 hours?

Mainly goons eating each other over racism and trans issues rather than anything significant in the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Shillary posted:

If she wins and does put it in place, I guarantee Putin won't violate it because he knows she will not hesitate to give the order.

With such powers of precognition you should be working for the DoD!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nessus posted:

You know what else is terrible and ill-advised foreign policy? Supporting Donald Trump while Vladimir Putin. Yet here we are.

Why? He has nothing to lose.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Mocking a human being's violent death is bad. Gloating over committing murder is bad.

Why am I writing this? It's weird to write this.

These forums and basically every American did the same thing with Bin Laden, I'm in no place to judge her.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

It's nice to see someone be introspective this week, of all weeks.

My final week assignment is voter walks in Winchester, VA. It's gonna be powerful. Question 1 hangs in the balance. I'm going to be stressed to oblivion. But I have faith.

As always: don't freak out. Go be a part of the system. I believe in the ground game. If i didn't, I'd be pushing cases somewhere. I expect the ground game to get us well over the line. What say you we find out?

God speed.

I haven't seen any polling on Amendment 1 but I'm afraid it's one of things that will pass even if HRC takes VA by double digits. Do you have any numbers?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kerrow posted:

Mostly racism.

A Winner is Jew posted:

This is true.

Putin both hates Hillary on a deeply personal level while he also fears the poo poo out of her because she doesn't take his poo poo.
Somebody write May/Merkel/Clinton vs. Putin slash fiction, tia

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Kerrow posted:

A lot of loving arzying.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

New Reuters poll has Hillary +5 down just 1 from their last poll. She's up 6 in the four way.

Meanwhile the NBC/Soundmonkey poll has her +6 identical to last week.

When was the last Reuters poll?

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Shillary posted:

If she wins and does put it in place, I guarantee Putin won't violate it because he knows she will not hesitate to give the order.

Maybe, but this type of thinking is severely underestimating just how much modern Russia is held together by the image of strong leadership the Kremin purposely puts out. Not to scaremonger but this is like how most of the dumb wars start.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

GalacticAcid posted:

:catstare:

This is so strange to me. I would think that race is completely out of reach for them.

Yeah I don't get it, I suppose there could be internals suggesting it's winnable for them, but Johnson's only led in a small enough number of polls that they're most likely just outliers. I'm sure that money would be better spent for them in other, much closer races like NH or PA or whatever. But I sure as poo poo won't complain if they throw away money on something that's out of reach.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Trumpelthinskin back at blaming rigged elections and evil rigging media, which is usually a good sign, I think.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cingulate posted:

No.
Disgusting still. I don't have high expectations for this one.

Mocking a human being's violent death is bad. Gloating over committing murder is bad.

The gloating was kinda gross but it wasn't murder either.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Cingulate posted:

No.
Disgusting still. I don't have high expectations for this one.

Wait we're talking about OBL right? gently caress that guy. I'm glad he's dead and I'm glad Obama and Hillary killed him.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

These forums and basically every American did the same thing with Bin Laden, I'm in no place to judge her.
I can kind of understand why you'd do that - not that I'd condone it, but it's a natural reaction.
And I don't think we're to judge her as a person.

Still, that interview response was disgusting.

iospace posted:

The appropriate question.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kerrow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtW1Lq5c04E

:hitler:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shillary posted:

I think you're a little overly confident there. The situation with Turkey earlier this year suggests that the U.S. and its NATO allies will be more gun-shy going forward.

Kithkar posted:

Maybe, but this type of thinking is severely underestimating just how much modern Russia is held together by the image of strong leadership the Kremin purposely puts out. Not to scaremonger but this is like how most of the dumb wars start.

Also this. Underestimating the Kremlin's resolve in what they perceive as a vital interest to them is an extremely dangerous mindset to take.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Kerrow posted:

Some raving troll got loose in the thread, goons took the bait, and the mods were all asleep.

Shillary posted:

Really, really not the appropriate logic when you're talking about two nuclear superpowers.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ogmius815 posted:

Wait we're talking about OBL right? gently caress that guy. I'm glad he's dead and I'm glad Obama and Hillary killed him.
No, Gaddafi.

I guess you can say "I'm glad he's dead", but that's different from gloating over a human being's suffering.

(You can say "I'm glad my pet died, it was horribly sick")

mcmagic posted:

The gloating was kinda gross but it wasn't murder either.
Gaddafi wasn't murdered?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

canepazzo posted:

Trumpelthinskin back at blaming rigged elections and evil rigging media, which is usually a good sign, I think.

:agreed:

As long as orange julius caesar is blaming the media and rigged election we're safe.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

What does the United States stand to gain from a no fly zone? Do you think the state is concerned with the lives of Syrian civilians?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

SunAndSpring posted:

So, what's a good way to debunk the whole "If Hillary starts a no-fly zone in Syria it's WORLD WAR III :stonk:" poo poo? I tried looking for articles but many of them are clickbait opinion pieces.

I remember reading an article not long ago where a former high up military official said that it is too late to try to impose a no-fly zone now. It would be hard and risky for our military to do so now without being drawn into open war with both Assad's regime and the Russians. They also talked about this on Reuters' War College podcast and the ex-military guest they had on there also made much the same argument and that the US shouldn't try to get involved into something just because it could.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cingulate posted:

No, Gaddafi.

I guess you can say "I'm glad he's dead", but that's different from gloating over a human being's suffering.

Tbf I don't think she gloated over his suffering, per se. It was still a ghoulish joke, but meh. People make tin-eared jokes. She's human. I don't see it as evidence of how she'll run US foreign policy.

A Winner is Jew posted:

:agreed:

As long as orange julius caesar is blaming the media and rigged election we're safe.

Please don't ruin Orange Juliuses for me. I have so little left in my life that brings me comfort.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

iospace posted:

Last Thursday

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Majorian posted:

Also this. Underestimating the Kremlin's resolve in what they perceive as a vital interest to them is an extremely dangerous mindset to take.

Important to note that a story came out recently where a ton of Putin's usual allies in the Kremlin are realizing that him sticking his dick into the US elections was a bad idea and they're pretty pissed off at him over it.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Majorian posted:

Well, we'll see if she can. I do agree that she has by far the best chance of it, though. I, for one, think that the no-fly zone is a really, really bad idea, but I'm hoping her touting it is just talk.

There's no way we start a war with Russia over Syria. :toxx:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Majorian posted:

Please don't ruin Orange Juliuses for me. I have so little left in my life that brings me comfort.

its made with raw eggs

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So one day before this hit? Then it's probably a minor impact then at most.

Also:
https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/793199192051179520
A second source appears!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cingulate posted:

No, Gaddafi.

Gaddafi wasn't murdered?

I was talking about Bin Laden but I don't think Gadaffi's killing was a murder either it was in the context of a civil war.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Tbf I don't think she gloated over his suffering, per se. It was still a ghoulish joke, but meh. People make tin-eared jokes. She's human. I don't see it as evidence of how she'll run US foreign policy.
Can you imagine Obama making a joke like that?

And it's not that the man isn't funny.

Look at this:
http://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/04/30/president-barack-obama-osama-bin-laden-5-years-dead-sot-ac.cnn/video/playlists/osama-bin-laden/

This is an appropriate and tasteful attitude. He's glad he killed the man, but he's not enjoying he killed the man.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It's not everyday that I see a political thread go full Godwin.

Never go full Godwin.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

SunAndSpring posted:

So, what's a good way to debunk the whole "If Hillary starts a no-fly zone in Syria it's WORLD WAR III :stonk:" poo poo? I tried looking for articles but many of them are clickbait opinion pieces.

Maybe it is just a terrible idea and you shouldn't try to defend it with someone else's words.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

I was talking about Bin Laden but I don't think Gadaffi's killing was a murder either it was in the context of a civil war.
He was raped to death with a Bayonet.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

iospace posted:

So one day before this hit? Then it's probably a minor impact then at most.

Also:
https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/793199192051179520
A second source appears!

Oh my sweet jesus, I just spent the day visiting family to stop worrying about bad news and come back to this. :allears:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's pretty distressing to see progressive minded people making excuses for her awful foreign policy. I mean there is no doubt that she's going to be horrible on foreign policy from a progressive prospective, right?

Cingulate posted:

He was raped to death with a Bayonet.

I know. I don't think it fits the definition of Murder though. It was definitely a war crime.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Grouchio posted:

It's not everyday that I see a political thread go full Godwin.

Never go full Godwin.

Hillary is literally Hitler thou so is it really full Godwin?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Sounds like they're using Bernie to shore up progressives for various statewide races. I've been seeing a lot of campaigning by him in favor of Prop 61 here.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

It's pretty distressing to see progressive minded people making excuses for her awful foreign policy. I mean there is no doubt that she's going to be horrible on foreign policy from a progressive prospective, right?

At best she'll be Obama 2.0 on FP. At worse she'll be Bill 2.0 on FP.

vvv Applesauce Bitch! vvv

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm glad Scalia's dead.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

I'm not sure what you mean? She's not gonna be a pacifist and I don't think many people are expecting wisdom from her, but she's probably not gonna be reckless or imperialist either.

And then there's the whole "0% chance of her pressing the big red button because some guy from a country she couldn't even find on a map said she had small hands" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

its made with raw eggs

Doesn't bother me. I've had lots of cocktails with egg whites. Comparing it to Trump turns my stomach though.:gonk:

• Locked thread