Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Thoren posted:

Is this actually true outside of professionals?

Chiming in as a professional who switched from full frame (Canon) to aps-c (Fuji) and am super happy I made the transition. Unless you just need a specialized lens for a specific purpose that can't be accomplished with something offered by the platform you're on then don't think full frame is some magic bullet. It was a bit of a mental block I had to get over to accept that dropping resolution from 24mp to 16mp wasn't the end of the world. For what I shoot though (primarily events) there is no need to ever deliver images over say 3000px on the long side and more often than not 2000px is more than the client needs. The extra breathing room for me is just good for tighter cropping. I've made 20x30" prints from 16mp files and they look amazing, I can't see a need to go much larger than that and if I can do i can always up-res to a degree.

The benefits for me are cheaper lenses of equally amazing quality, lighter kit, faster post processing editing lighter weight files, cheaper upgrades each product cycle, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thoren posted:

Is this actually true outside of professionals?
If anything, professional studio photographers are probably more likely to move to medium format, but I suspect they're comfortable with all formats and will choose the right tool for the job. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHYidejT3KY

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Ryand-Smith posted:

Micro four thirds is even worse at these wide lengths

I've heard the Olympus 7-14mm f/2.8 is really good. Fujfilm has a 10-24mm F/4. The main drawback of the fast MFT ultrawide is that it can't take regular filters.

Ryand-Smith posted:

Also I may be wrong on this but can micro four thirds produce bokeh and other low aperture effects like aps-c and full frame can?

You just multiply the aperture by two to calculate full frame equivalent depth of field.

Here's an article comparing the Batis 85mm f/1.8 to the Pan-Leica 42.5mm f/1.2:
https://tysonrobichaudphotography.w...ntest-commence/

MMD3 posted:

Chiming in as a professional who switched from full frame (Canon) to aps-c (Fuji) and am super happy I made the transition. Unless you just need a specialized lens for a specific purpose that can't be accomplished with something offered by the platform you're on then don't think full frame is some magic bullet. It was a bit of a mental block I had to get over to accept that dropping resolution from 24mp to 16mp wasn't the end of the world. For what I shoot though (primarily events) there is no need to ever deliver images over say 3000px on the long side and more often than not 2000px is more than the client needs. The extra breathing room for me is just good for tighter cropping. I've made 20x30" prints from 16mp files and they look amazing, I can't see a need to go much larger than that and if I can do i can always up-res to a degree.

The benefits for me are cheaper lenses of equally amazing quality, lighter kit, faster post processing editing lighter weight files, cheaper upgrades each product cycle, etc.

And now Fuji sensors are putting out 24mp anyways, and MFT is going up to 20.

Damienz
Sep 4, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

With the holidays coming up, I'm seriously considering snagging the SP-2 Instax printer for parties and family get-togethers. I realize that this isn't exclusively a mirrorless or Fujifilm thing since it has iOS and Android apps too, but I figured I'd be most likely to get impressions here. I might cross-post in the general thread too just in case. Either way, does anyone have an Instax printer and have any impressions? I like the idea of the rechargeable battery in the SP-2 more than anything over the SP-1, which apparently had difficult to find batteries. Alternatively, I like Zack Arias' system of just using a generic USB power pack with the SP-1.

Edit: Also I can't shake the feeling that the gimmick will get old and the Instax printer will be gathering dust in 3 months.

I've had the SP-1 for almost a year now and it's been a great little gadget to bring for wedding sessions or parties. The quality of the photos could be better (mine are printed a bit overexposed and they're tinier than you think) but people are always blown away when they get a physical photo.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
A: I had no idea how well (this isn't bad, how small yet still 'big' the XT-1 is with the 56 1.2 (Its a tiny bit smaller than my A7 with the 16-35 F-4 (which means if they ever release a G-Master I could use a smaller bag and still fit both lenses, or hell, carry 2 primes for the fuji), and B: the quality and autofocus from what everyone has said is amaazing. Does anyone in here use the XT-1/2 and the 56. 1.2 prime, because I might get that for my christmas present to myself.

Thank you all for the dicussion! I had no idea fuji ultra fast primes (a 1.2 is absurdly fast) were well.. so cheap! I mean its less than 1000 new on amazon and its cheaper than all but the manual focus primes on Sony, and the other 1.2 prime I can think of was 1.4K and everyone argued it was overpriced!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

Let us know how the software is - if it's anything like the fuji camera sync app or the desktop sync app, it will disconnect constantly if you're lucky enough to get it to connect at all.

rio posted:

Please let us know what you think of it - I am on the fence too.

8th-snype posted:

Printing from the camera is not at all like wirelessly connecting to a phone. Once you are set up to print you just need to turn the printer on and select "instax print" from the playback menu on a photo then it spits out credit card sized art. I have made hundreds of prints and if I had to do it through the phone I'd have killed myself by now.
I never got printing directly from my X-T2 to work despite having the latest firmware on the SP-2. Every time I'd try to send a picture the camera would just freeze and nothing would ever come out of the printer. I ended up having to go the roundabout way of WiFi transfer to my phone, then WiFi print to the SP-2. This method proved 100% reliable, although it took 3 times as long.

Maybe the X-T2 firmware coming on November 8 will help.

edit: Regarding the SP-2 itself: it's fun! I imagine it'll get a lot of use through the holidays and then I might struggle to justify keeping it, but for now I'm enjoying it.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 31, 2016

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Thoren posted:

And now Fuji sensors are putting out 24mp anyways, and MFT is going up to 20.

exactly, I knew when I bought my XT1 that the XT2 was right around the corner and had to have a higher resolution sensor.

24MP is more than enough for almost any application short of studio photography and very large format printing for something like a gallery for landscape photographers.

Even then, when you consider that many of the giant prints in those high end galleries were scans from film and look pretty bad up close you're still in a very good spot with 24MP.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just got a Bower 8mm 2.8 for super cheap off of Craigslist. Thought I'd mention it in case any Fuji havers want a fisheye- it performs much better than I would have guessed. Nice and sharp. I haven't been shooting any brick walls at 2.8 and looking at the corners (and don't plan to) but in real life it seems to be a killer lens. Looking forward to taking it out for Halloween and running this poo poo into the ground until everyone is really sick of seeing fisheye photos. Just kidding, I'll keep shooting with it way beyond that point (it's the first time I've ever had a lens this wide).

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Ryand-Smith posted:

A: I had no idea how well (this isn't bad, how small yet still 'big' the XT-1 is with the 56 1.2 (Its a tiny bit smaller than my A7 with the 16-35 F-4 (which means if they ever release a G-Master I could use a smaller bag and still fit both lenses, or hell, carry 2 primes for the fuji), and B: the quality and autofocus from what everyone has said is amaazing. Does anyone in here use the XT-1/2 and the 56. 1.2 prime, because I might get that for my christmas present to myself.
I have an XT-1 and the 56/1.2 and that's my usual combination. It's fantastic for portraiture and usually fast enough to keep up with my 7 month old kiddo.

I also have the 27/2.8, 35/1.4 and 18-55/2.8-4 ... and really don't use them too much. I thought I'd love the 27/2.8 since I used to shoot film with a 40/2 all the time but, well, it's just not as useful for what I do now. The zoom, as nice as it is, is mostly used by my wife.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Second chances:

https://www.reddit.com/r/photomarket/comments/5abtvj/fs_fuji_xt2_with_xf_35mm_f2/

XT-2 with 35mm F2 for sale on reddit.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
Are aperture rings on XF lenses also control-by-wire? I just got my 35mm f2 ahead of my x-t2 delivery and was just taking a look. Spinning the aperture ring doesn't seem to make the iris move at all.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Great Enoch posted:

Are aperture rings on XF lenses also control-by-wire? I just got my 35mm f2 ahead of my x-t2 delivery and was just taking a look. Spinning the aperture ring doesn't seem to make the iris move at all.
Like most modern lenses, it won't stop down until the shutter is depressed.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ryand-Smith posted:

Does anyone in here use the XT-1/2 and the 56. 1.2 prime, because I might get that for my christmas present to myself.

The image quality is disgustingly good, even at f/1.2, but I wouldn't say the AF is amazing but it's pretty decent. If you like shooting portraits or that focal length, I think it's a must-get lens!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thoren posted:

How can anyone hate Fuji?
lovely AF mostly, in my case. XT-2 is ok tho. Glass is loving great.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

phongn posted:

Like most modern lenses, it won't stop down until the shutter is depressed.

Ah, okay. I hadn't realised this was a feature of modern lens design. Out of interest, what's the advantage of doing that?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Full brightness composing. Try the aperture preview at f/8 for a laugh. It'll become painfully obvious why everyone does fully-open composition/metering.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Full brightness composing
Also AF systems need as much light as they can get.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks, I am going to see if he will break up the set since I have the lens.

Does anyone have any experience with e-Infinity Online Camera Store? They show the X-T2 as in stock but I have never heard of them.

Edit: extra thanks because it looks like I am going to be the new owner of a slightly used X-T2 :mmmsmug:

rio fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 1, 2016

Thoren
May 28, 2008
43rumors is saying the new Olympus body will be $2000+.

That's going to be a tough sell with the A7iii and GH5 right around the corner.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Great Enoch posted:

Ah, okay. I hadn't realised this was a feature of modern lens design. Out of interest, what's the advantage of doing that?

Actually it does step down, The Fuji lens aperture change continuously during live view.

If you want body to lens contract electric contact points only, the aperture has to be controlled by wire.

And, mechanical A lens don't step down until shutter is pressed anyway.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What causes Photoshop to make Fuji JPGs jaggy as poo poo when you resize them?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Thoren posted:

That's going to be a tough sell with the A7iii and GH5 right around the corner.

If this is true they've lost it. I might switch to Fuji just out of spite.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Wengy posted:

If this is true they've lost it. I might switch to Fuji just out of spite.

I really like the PEN-F and considered it underpriced for its category, so more features on basically that camera is a pretty good deal even at $2k for the right buyer. Fuji simply does not have the lens manufacturer support MFT has.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

windex posted:

I really like the PEN-F and considered it underpriced for its category, so more features on basically that camera is a pretty good deal even at $2k for the right buyer. Fuji simply does not have the lens manufacturer support MFT has.

The price for the E-M1 body back when it came out was 1399 USD, if I recall correctly. The Mk II really seems to be significantly better and they did announce a "slightly higher launch price", but come on, 2k would be taking the piss. Too bad I've spent so much on MFT lenses that switching to another system would be ruinous at this point.

The PEN-F is cool and imo the best looking camera out there, but it's also kind of overpriced. Also, Olympus constantly gimp their rangefinder-style cameras in favor of the OMD line, forcing anyone who wants fast AF, weather-sealing and the best sensor to get an OMD. That's actually my other big complaint about their product lineup: why can't there be a rangefinder-style flagship? Fuji manage to do it, after all, and it seems to work out fine for them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also AF systems need as much light as they can get.
That's a real good point yeah

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoren posted:

goddamn :stare: Guess I'm sticking with the first version for a while. That's some bullshit.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

windex posted:

I really like the PEN-F and considered it underpriced for its category [...]

I really like the Pen-F and don't regret my purchase, but let's be honest, the GX8 is cheaper and in many ways more practical.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Pen-F users/owners: Other than it being a nice looking camera, how do you like using it? Do you own or have you used other M43 cameras and, if so, how does it compare?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rio posted:

Any recommendations where to get an X-T2? I have the money now but I am just finding marked up Amazon sales. I want it now but at the same time I could put that money on a vertical grip (which I also plan on getting) but if it is going to be a long wait I guess I would pay more. I'm just not sure if I am missing some place obvious that has them in stock.
Adorama has the kit in stock right now:

http://www.adorama.com/ifjxt2k.html

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Adorama has the kit in stock right now:

http://www.adorama.com/ifjxt2k.html

It says they are on backorder - I guess they sold quickly. Buuuut, I ended up getting the one off of Reddit since he was willing to just sell the body and it is on the way!

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Xabi posted:

Pen-F users/owners: Other than it being a nice looking camera, how do you like using it? Do you own or have you used other M43 cameras and, if so, how does it compare?

I bought in with the G1 (which was pretty basic in hindsight, and we've come a long way with high-ISO IQ) and have since accumulated a nice set of lenses, plus adapters for my old OM and Nikkor ones. The size of the lenses is what sells it for me and I'm not going to jump ship anytime soon, though I admit when the X-Pro came out I was pretty tempted. I have since owned the OG EM5 (which is no digital OM) and now the Pen-F. Before that I've owned a D90 and have used other enthusiast-grade DSLRs, which do the job, but the size doesn't justify performance for me, especially when they mostly have tiny finders. I'm just spoiled by having learned on compact-bodied non-AF pentaprism cameras.

Essentially the F is a digital Pen with a built-in finder (albeit still a small one) which is my main use case. It's a nice bonus that it's also well-designed, well-engineered, and just desirable, which speaks to Olympus' priorities I think. If video was a concern at all I would have gone with the GX8. I'm pretty sold on Olympus' JPEG engine. It's not quite Fuji's film emulation, but I'm plenty happy with it.

Control-wise, it gets a bit much. Once I settled on a C1 that worked for me, I left it there. I shoot in aperture priority driven by the front dial, and have ISO assigned to the rear dial. Dedicated buttons for AF and AE lock, because you don't need that coupled to the shutter button all the time. I like the idea of the Fuji dials, but in practice, I find I don't use the Pen's dedicated compensation dial much shot-to-shot, usually only when light changes. I rarely go full manual. I usually shoot finder-only and leave the LCD closed, which reduces the impulse to pixel-peep.

I've been using it a lot with the 20/1.7, just because it's such a nice little package, even if the AF is way slower than newer lenses. I've gotten so used to it that I compose before actually raising it to my eye. There's something to be said about reliable metering (with AE lock), top-notch OIS IBIS, and auto WB too. Overall it just gets out of the way, and it's a great creative experience.

E: I meant IBIS.

fartmanteau fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 1, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

windex posted:

Fuji doesn't really need lens manufacturer support as most of their customer base wouldn't buy a 3rd party lens anyway. Relatively inexpensive, fast, and compact 1st party lenses are a pro not a con.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
What's the over/under on the XT-20 ever coming out? I still can't believe Fuji discontinued the XT-10.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

frogbs posted:

What's the over/under on the XT-20 ever coming out? I still can't believe Fuji discontinued the XT-10.
I think I read that maybe it's not discontinued? It's confusing.

Either way I imagine it's a long way off. Fujifilm isn't gonna put that sensor into a sub-$1000 body any time soon.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Xabi posted:

I think the big thing for me is that I have used other rangefinders, and it's a good rangefinder, even with the EVF. Once you throw on the grip and a soft release it's nice ergonomically.

I personally don't much care for the OVF on Fuji X-Pro* because I prefer coincidence rangefinders in that case, Fuji's EVF focus peaking + manual focus feel isn't as good to me, while the focus peaking on the PEN-F is fantastic, fast, and works well even in bad (but not no) light. But keep in mind I am almost always shooting MF lenses, so I am probably not a typical user.

The main competition for !Fuji smallish manual focus rangefinders I actually like is basically blah Leica and meh film stuff. So given that, the PEN-F is a great deal.

Other than that, fartmanteau's comments mostly echo my other thoughts. The only other thing I have to add to them is that the greatest thing about actually using and post-processing files from the PEN-F is how amazing it's automatic scene metering (ESP?) is in dynamic scenes when shooting in aperture priority, etc. I generally find that I get amazingly recoverable images with high detail levels preserved whenever shooting in mixed light, and while they don't exit the camera in as good as shape as Fuji does it, it's pretty easy to get things there.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

The PEN-F is a rangefinder in the same way an X-T2 is a DSLR.

It's been a pet peeve of mine that we have bad names for these things, and the divergent branding doesn't help either. And no, mirrorless is a crap name for it, as opposed to the mirrored SLR, which itself is a pretty antiquated name, because the TLR isn't really a thing anymore, certainly not in digital.

Oh what ya got there?
It's my camera.
I know nothing about them. What kind of camera?
A... good camera.

fartmanteau fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 2, 2016

widunder
May 2, 2002

I think I read that maybe it's not discontinued? It's confusing.

Either way I imagine it's a long way off. Fujifilm isn't gonna put that sensor into a sub-$1000 body any time soon.
I've been using my X-E1 for two and a half years now and the autofocus in low light is starting to bug me. I'd also like an articulating screen. The XT-2 and X-Pro2 are both way out of my budget, even used. Since weather sealing isn't a huge deal for me, would a used XT-10 be a good buy? I shoot with the 35mm 1.4 (mostly portraits and general use) and will be looking to pick up the 55-200 (for sports stuff). With the lens and body firmware upgrades, would the AF be pretty decent?

(right now I'm shooting sports with a manual Canon FD 100mm lens so I'll take anything :unsmith: )

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oly has officially started taking pre-orders for the EM1 MkII, price is $2,000.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
That body price might be the silliest thing I've read all week.

Question to M4/3rd owners - does good M4/3 glass hold its value? With Canon and now Fuji I was always able to buy low and sell high if I was patient enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bobfather posted:

That body price might be the silliest thing I've read all week.

Question to M4/3rd owners - does good M4/3 glass hold its value? With Canon and now Fuji I was always able to buy low and sell high if I was patient enough.

There are plenty of legit criticisms of m4/3 but you'd be hard-pressed to find bad reports about most of their glass. The primes all seem to still be priced well, same for the Pro glass.

That said, if you're buying camera glass as investments then hooo boy.