Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

djdanno13 posted:

Just wanted to mention that all this is being done by Sims and a really really good friend of his. I've been busy with work and haven't put a wrench on this thing, just been cheering from the sidelines.

Edit: I was going to say haven't put a hand on it but that's my goofy rear end running behind the truck as we pushed it down a hill.

So 14" gets that fastback right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

This is the best thread.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

It really is

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
14 is going to miss this. We have to get him out there. Have you asked how much the VW is?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Fuckinh hell that took way too long.

:toot::toot:

And then I slapped a flywheel on it.

And then promptly realized I had no bolts with which to attach the clutch.

Oh well, that's enough work for one day. Side note, somehow the van is in worse shape WRT rust than the truck is, lol

Like I knew it was bad, but once we took it apart today I found out it was much worse than I thought.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

I know most are freaking out that 14 is missing the bulk of this but I sincerely believe putting it in the big truck and getting all the fiddly bits to play nice for a long haul to Florida is going to require as many creative minds as possible. We're trying to get 14 on a bus or some other form of transport in the other thread since savior Jeep is causing problems. Is there any clear way already established to get funds to 14?

Panaflex fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 29, 2016

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Panaflex posted:

I know most are freaking out that 14 is missing the bulk of this but I sincerely believe putting it in the big truck and getting all the fiddly bits to play nice for a long haul to Florida is going to require as many creative minds as possible. We're trying to get 14 on a bus or some other form of transport in the other thread since savior Jeep is causing problems.

Have you asked about the VW? Willit fit in the back of the truck? We gotta get 14 on this emergency wise even if he got on a greyhound now it's 24 hours

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Rhyno posted:

So 14" gets that fastback right?

Let's just say if 14 gets that car running he will be handsomely rewarded.

Also yes the vw would definitely fit in the back.

djdanno13 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 29, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

djdanno13 posted:

Let's just say if 14 gets that car running he will be handsomely rewarded.

Oh my god we have to get him there right the gently caress now.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If anyone between south Washington and Salt Lake City has a burner smart phone they can donate please try texting 4084991357 as someone stole mine from the jeep borrowing a phone to post this.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Course correction east through Montana

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So update time!

So Saturday was a total waste of time. We tried to get the brakes done, but it turns out I got the wrong cylinders for the front brakes. Rears take 1 1/2", fronts take a smaller size.

No huge deal, go to the local Napa here, and they're closed early. And its the only parts store in town. gently caress.

Go back to try the rears out. Well, the rear drums are held on by rusted out, PO hosed slotted screws. We were able to get 2 out, but the third was trashed beyond repair, and then a extractor snapped off inside it, so now it'll have to be ground down.

The real kicker was that the other side? All three came off with no effort. Opened it up and everything looked good. Wheel cylinders don't even feel bad.

But that's boring. So today we test fit the new engine. Ended up have to put the headers on to clear it, but once we unbolt the steering column it should be a perfect fit.

Progress!

I also picked up new lights for the rear, and new turn signals, and ran some new wires. To say the old wiring was in rough shape is an understatement. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This this will be done by the time 14" gets there at this pace.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Is that PS pump a P pump or TC pump? You will need to gut it to keep it from spraying everywhere, either that or run a shorter belt, looks like the ac compressor might need to stay as an idler and you may still not have enough wrap on the WP/fan pulley. If it is like a TC pump, it isn't super hard to disassemble and remove all the vanes from the pump then reassemble, then you can just loop the lines together and dump a couple cups of ps fluid in and it will be the worlds best lubricated idler pulley. I have never worked on a P pump though.

And drat, making good progress. How'd you solve the clutch fork pivot issue?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

We haven't solved that issue as of yet, but we need to go to a machine shop in the am to get some welding done on the crossmember, so I'm thinking maybe I'll just see if b that can machine something up for it there.

One of the joys of a v small farm town, lots of machine vc shops to choose from.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

This this will be done by the time 14" gets there at this pace.

Seriously, you guys are rocking through this a lot faster than I thought you would, hell of a thing to watch!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Hopefully we can keep up.the pace.

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic, but basically if things aren't within reach by Wednesday I'm gonna be taking a bus home.

But it seems like there's only a few things left to do.

Brakes
ECU wiring
Lights
Refill transmission + rear end.
Lights
Tires

That's like 3 days of work tight? :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

ExplodingSims posted:

Hopefully we can keep up.the pace.

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic, but basically if things aren't within reach by Wednesday I'm gonna be taking a bus home.

But it seems like there's only a few things left to do.

Brakes
ECU wiring
Lights
Refill transmission + rear end.
Lights
Tires

That's like 3 days of work tight? :v:

With 2 people working? Only thing I'd worry about is the ECU wiring. Most of that other poo poo can be knocked out in a day or two (and 15 parts store runs).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
ECU wiring shouldn't be too bad, isn't it a TBI setup? Rednecks swap that poo poo onto 305s and 350s and AMC 304s and 360s all the time and make it work. If you need help interpreting wiring diagrams and/or coming up with a splice list, let me know and I can dig into it, just need to scroll back and figure out what model and year the donor is.

Also, a few things that I think are missing from your latest list:
- mount radiator? Radiator hoses? You might have already covered this
- fortunately with the weather how it is, I bet a fan shroud will be optional equipment
- exhaust of some sort
- fuel pump, IIRC you need like a 14-15psi or so fuel pump to feed a TBI setup. AKA, gut the van's fuel system (this may have been the plan already)
- fuel lines
- disable the PS pump somehow so the super high pressure fluid coming out the business end doesn't destroy the return hose and reservoir, OR find a belt path and length that runs the WP, fan, alt, and maybe AC compressorbig funny looking idler with an R12 label on it
- clutch linkage. Probably the game-stopper from what you've said in 14's thread
- e: starter. Do you know what make/model/year starter you need to work with that bellhousing and that flywheel?
- battery cables, this is easy

What's the story with the fastback? I thought that was one of djdanno's hoarded cars. (my yard looks like his, but a lot uglier... I need to sawzall another two and two halves cars up. poo poo.)

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 31, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, I think we're in a bit of a failure state with the truck, because of the clutch ball. (Why does a bellhousing from the 60s have a 13/16-14 threading?)

But yeah:
Fuel system has been ripped out of the van, so than can be reused for our purposes.

ECU: I'm not sure what my plan is now. I could still rip it out of the van, but if I'm going to be returning later, I found out that Summit sells one already made up, with all the emissions stuff removed, so I may just go with that.

Radiator, I can actually reuse the OG one from the truck. It's still in good shape, and can handle the load from what I understand. (With a fan shroud)

Started: I bought a new one that fits the bellhousing. It for a 70 something GMC, but it fits ok. Hopefully it plays nice with the ECU

But yeah, I don't think this is going to get finished in this run. Theres a ton still left to do, and then the trip itself, which is going to take at least 3 days. It's disappointing, but I think we did pretty good all things considered, in the time we worked.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 31, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's not the permanent engine for this vehicle, right? Pretty much just to get it home, maybe leave it in there till you decide what you actually want under the hood? I would run the stock ECU and custom splice the harness, it's nowhere near as difficult as many people assume.

You guys did pretty drat good given the distances, info you had to work with, and schedule, even if it doesn't leave under its own power this week.

e: it looks like some companies are saying 13/16-16 not -14... http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjustable-GM-Bellhousing-Clutch-Fork-Pivot,712.html

Glad to hear the starter works out. I've seen that be an issue when we assumed they were the same so I try not to assume that anymore :downs:

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 31, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

doublepostin'... if it is indeed 13/16-16, some oil filters use that! So if you can figure out what cars use a Fram PH373 and pull the oil filter stud out of one, then booger it full of weld and weld the original ball from the old bellhousing into it at the right height, you can save this trip still!

Alternatively it appears that adapters are available on amazon. Does amazon prime deliver in 1-2 days in that town? I can't remember what thread the original ballstud (heh) is, but if it's at least 1/2" diameter, buy that, drill, tap, done!

e: 5/8-24 also available https://www.amazon.com/16-16-Thread...VY8NFR8RRMQKZ4X

And it turns out it is 13/16-16, I found Dagen H's original post saying that while trying to find what your old bellhousing's stud thread is. Do you need a different throwout bearing and clutch fork to go with the different bellhousing? Just realized you might.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 31, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'm pretty sure the old one will work, provided I can get the ball in there. I've actually found a ball that appears to be the right size with the correct threading, but it's some fairly rare thing that has to ship via eBay.

And honestly, I think even if I did get it running, I'd rather wait for someone who can act as a co-driver. My buddy that I brought along can't drive stick, and having a chase car would be nice.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Teach your friend to drive properly and you can claim another victory

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Is there a possibility of a plot twist, where 14 shows up after you've left to finish up and drive it home?

You've got the van there, so it qualifies as shelter. He can get that thing running, I have faith in that.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

Is there a possibility of a plot twist, where 14 shows up after you've left to finish up and drive it home?

You've got the van there, so it qualifies as shelter. He can get that thing running, I have faith in that.

But didn't he basically just NOT get three vehicles running?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Astonishing Wang posted:

But didn't he basically just NOT get three vehicles running?

Yes, but destiny.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm pretty sure the old one will work, provided I can get the ball in there. I've actually found a ball that appears to be the right size with the correct threading, but it's some fairly rare thing that has to ship via eBay.

And honestly, I think even if I did get it running, I'd rather wait for someone who can act as a co-driver. My buddy that I brought along can't drive stick, and having a chase car would be nice.

That thing is probably geared so low that with the extra modern power you'd have to try to choke it off.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think it's more that Walmart is awful.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ExplodingSims posted:

Just have one of the machine shops in town mill up a chunk of steel with the right inside and outside threads, like the adapter that kastein posted. Or is time more pressing that that?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Darchangel posted:

Just have one of the machine shops in town mill up a chunk of steel with the right inside and outside threads, like the adapter that kastein posted. Or is time more pressing that that?

+1 - local machine shop wizard is probably the best and quickest solution here.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Literally any machinist with a scrap piece of stock and a lathe should totally be able to turn out an adapter in a few minutes.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

We did try the machine shops here. They didn't have a die in that thread count.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A die? Some bitches need to watch some AvE or This Old Tony or x other channels and do a manual threading. It takes about 20 minutes to setup (1 book hour) and another 30 minutes to perform (2 book hours), and they'll charge accordingly, but nearly any lathe can do it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Why would they need a die?

Seriously, this should be the kind of job you drop off in the morning and pick the completed part up a few hours later next time you pass by the shop.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 1, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I don't know what the deal was. I thought it'd be easy to deal with as wll, but they just couldnt/wouldn't do it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Which machinist did you go to? The one with the glass-front, clean, and well-organized shop full of the latest equipment or the run-down cinderblock building with no real signage, just piles of metal and rusty parts everywhere and a guy smoking inside while standing over a barrel of oil.

It's the latter you want to go to. Bring some beers and tell him your story.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The one that was dirty as poo poo, let us hang out in the shop for an hour, showed us his classic car collection, and gave us advice on the swap. Seriously, this was as old machine c shop as you could get, and they still couldn't make it

They guy even ran out on our behalf to some other places to see if he could find something to thread into it. No dice.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You have literally been failed by Gandalf himself and I'm not sure what to suggest now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well I found this, which seems to line up pretty much exactly with what I need.

http://www.4speedconversions.com/3725240.html

Won't arrive until it's too late, but it'll work.

• Locked thread