Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

But Prince Faisal, the character Alec Guinness played in Lawrence of Arabia, was not.

My bad. For some reason I thought he played Lawrence but that was O' Toole. I haven't watched it in a really long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The Flash film just lost Rick Famuyima. That's 2 directors down.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't know if that's good or bad, but it looks like corporate is trying to 'Marvelize' the films. It's too bad if that's really the case.

quote:

He added: "I was also excited to work with Ezra Miller, who is a phenomenal young actor. I pitched a version of the film in line with my voice, humor, and heart. While it's disappointing that we couldn't come together creatively on the project, I remain grateful for the opportunity. I will continue to look for opportunities to tell stories that speak to a fresh generational, topical, and multicultural point of view. I wish Warner Brothers, DC, Jon Berg, Geoff Johns, and Ezra Miller all the best as they continue their journey into the speed force."

Sources say that the Dope director's vision of making a movie with more edge clashed with the studio's take.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Internet people got mad when Zoe Saldana was cast to play Nina Simone because she was too light skinned.

I think it's a little disingenuous to act like it was just "internet people" when Simone's own estate disowned the film.

Also changed for the movie: Simone was quite heavy at that point in her life, and her assistant was a gay man and decidedly not her love interest.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Rick Famuyiwa has left the Flash movie over creative differences.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/flash-movie-loses-dope-director-rick-famuyiwa-942604

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Society telling people that they should be as white as possible to get anywhere in life is nothing new and worth getting upset about. There's an entire industry of products lightening skin, softening hair, all with the intent of gravitating towards a white norm. All this goes on whilst white people take the same hairstyles they're telling black people they shouldn't have if they want to be taken seriously or respected.

Hollywood being more inclined to take a 'lighter' star and darken them to fit a role, rather than just find a suitable actor that matches what they need, is a clear representation of that underlying problem. It's pretty lovely that imitating dark skin is more acceptable than being dark skinned.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pirate Jet posted:

I think it's a little disingenuous to act like it was just "internet people" when Simone's own estate disowned the film.

Also changed for the movie: Simone was quite heavy at that point in her life, and her assistant was a gay man and decidedly not her love interest.

Fair enough, I was just going off half-memories of a NPR story I kinda listened to

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Jet posted:

It's a little weird to me that people's beef is always solely with the actor in these types of situations; the buck stops a good bit farther up than the person in the role.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

I don't know if that's good or bad, but it looks like corporate is trying to 'Marvelize' the films. It's too bad if that's really the case.

If it's too edgy for the Murderverse then it must have been really grimdark.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Drifter posted:

That's really disappointing but not unsurprising.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Almost all of the Marvel films retained the filmmakers voice. I don't know what Marvelize means unless you're just talking about keeping everything cohesive narrative wise.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Almost all of the Marvel films retained the filmmakers voice.

In Phase 1, maybe (although Thor is still a mess). After that? With few exceptions (Guardians), everything is the same bland, generic commercial for the next one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't know how you don't consider the Avengers movies the most Whedon things ever made. Even if you hate them, they're very much his films through and through. Winter Soldier/Civil War we could argue about, as I can't really pin point a specific voice in the Russo's work, even from watching a bunch of Community episodes. Ant-Man as well. Don't know Payton Reed at all.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

whedon pretty much is the 'marvel voice' is the thing though

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Scyantific posted:

The Flash film just lost Rick Famuyima. That's 2 directors down.

this isn't dope at all :(

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Brother Entropy posted:

whedon pretty much is the 'marvel voice' is the thing though

except Ironman 1 had the same tone and whedon was nowhere near it as far as i know

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Elfgames posted:

except Ironman 1 had the same tone and whedon was nowhere near it as far as i know

yes i realize that

it just seems weird to point to the avengers movies as an example of marvel letting a director go buck wild on tone when it was just them getting a guy who was already well-known for having the kind of authorial voice they'd established for their movies

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MonsieurChoc posted:

The weird thing about Ben in Short Circuit is that you could easily recast an actual indian guy and remove the racist accent jokes and then he's just a loveable doofus who happens to be brilliant at robotics. Like, an actual character.

But there's the brown face and accent jokes, right there in the movie

Yet another reason why Chappie rules.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Brother Entropy posted:

yes i realize that

it just seems weird to point to the avengers movies as an example of marvel letting a director go buck wild on tone when it was just them getting a guy who was already well-known for having the kind of authorial voice they'd established for their movies

having quips doesn't make something inherently Joss Whedon.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Light action comedy dependent on ironic tone is very much Whedon. Most everything after Phase One has been slotted into that category, which is why they're so similar.

e: You end up brushing up hilariously close to the truth, which is that these movies don't end up having much of a directorial voice.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 1, 2016

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Tim Miller hits the ground running at the speed of sound.

Gotta go ruin my career fast!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Light action comedy dependent on ironic tone is very much Whedon. Most everything after Phase One has been slotted into that category, which is why they're so similar.

e: You end up brushing up hilariously close to the truth, which is that these movies don't end up having much of a directorial voice.

Joss Whedon owns irony?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Joss Whedon owns irony?

Joss Whedon isn't a good enough director to 'own' anything really, which is why the Avengers franchise has trucked on without him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So irony isn't just a Joss Whedon thing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

So irony isn't just a Joss Whedon thing.

You've forgotten what you're arguing. You're actually agreeing with the argument posted above, that Avengers is not an example of letting a director go wild, when you say that irony is not a Joss Whedon thing.

You're arguing against Joss Whedon having a unique directorial voice, ironically enough :v:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 1, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I only speak toothfully.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Joss Whedon owns irony?

Have you considered trying ingenuousness?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Maybe CelticPredator was being ironic all along!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!
Guardians of the Galaxy was about a dude successfully convincing the cast of a space opera that they were in a Josh Whedon movie.

I don't think Whedon was even directly involved, but that was who Star Lord was and what he was all about.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Freakazoid_ posted:

Tim Miller hits the ground running at the speed of sound.

Gotta go ruin my career fast!

It's going to be a Groundhog Day sort of thing, Sonic dies, the story starts over again, Sonic gets a little further before dying. The cycle is repeated over and over again until the very end when he's finally memorized where all the pits and spikes are and gets through the whole level to save the princess, voiced by Keke Palmer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's going to be a Groundhog Day sort of thing, Sonic dies, the story starts over again, Sonic gets a little further before dying. The cycle is repeated over and over again until the very end when he's finally memorized where all the pits and spikes are and gets through the whole level to save the princess, voiced by Keke Palmer.

If Sonic doesn't kiss a human woman at the end to save her life it's not my sonic.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I am insanely curious about what a good sonic the hedgehog movie would even start to look like. I just can't wrap my head around such a thing. :psyduck:
Not that this movie won't be anything but trash, but still...

Hodgepodge posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy was about a dude successfully convincing the cast of a space opera that they were in a Josh Whedon movie.

I don't think Whedon was even directly involved, but that was who Star Lord was and what he was all about.

"Don't turn on a blacklight, who knows the things you'd see..."
"Dance off!" "Wha-?"

Oh my! What a sassy rogue!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Drifter posted:

I am insanely curious about what a good sonic the hedgehog movie would even start to look like. I just can't wrap my head around such a thing. :psyduck:
Not that this movie won't be anything but trash, but still...

Wachowski Speed Racer is a pre' good template.

ALL THE WIPE CUTS

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Drifter posted:

Aliens come to earth to kidnap Sonic and friends, but Knuckles challenges them to a game of basketball for all the marbles. Sonic has to recruit real-life basketball stars to help them beat the aliens, and R Kelly sings the R&B theme about going fast and believing in yourself.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Aliens? I'm betting on eggman/robotnik snatching up cute/annoying animals and Sonic and his boys forming a posse to stop it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TetsuoTW posted:

Have you considered trying ingenuousness?

Have you considered flossing!?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What I really want to know is will Sonic input up up down down left right left right then collect rings and chaos emeralds then jump up in the air and go Super Sonic climaxing in him kamehamehaing Eggman out of his space station.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
How much Sonic on Tails action will their be? Asking for a friend.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I hope it's a word for word adaptation of Tails Gets Trolled, except Sonic is voiced by Werner Herzog and Tails is voiced by Werner Herzog and Amy is voiced by Werner Herzog and whatever the cat is named is voiced by Werner Herzog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

well why not posted:

I hope it's a word for word adaptation of Tails Gets Trolled, except Sonic is voiced by Werner Herzog and Tails is voiced by Werner Herzog and Amy is voiced by Werner Herzog and whatever the cat is named is voiced by Werner Herzog.

Is that poo poo still ongoing? Cuz that was a trip

• Locked thread