Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Mraagvpeine posted:

What if by "Devil" he means the previous Ghost Rider?

Depends on how much they want to borrow from the books. The thing which set Robbie apart from the other Ghost Riders is that he didn't actually have any dealings with Mephisto or any part of Zarathos bound to him. Instead, he was bound to the ghost of an estranged family member who also happened to be a homicidal maniac.

Given that the Darkhold storyline has already given us ghosts -- of a sort -- I expect they will borrow more from column B than column A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

EricFate posted:

Depends on how much they want to borrow from the books. The thing which set Robbie apart from the other Ghost Riders is that he didn't actually have any dealings with Mephisto or any part of Zarathos bound to him. Instead, he was bound to the ghost of an estranged family member who also happened to be a homicidal maniac.

Given that the Darkhold storyline has already given us ghosts -- of a sort -- I expect they will borrow more from column B than column A.

But wasn't said family member the same uncle that was locked up and, at least seemingly, is much less homicidal in AoS?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

hangedman1984 posted:

But wasn't said family member the same uncle that was locked up and, at least seemingly, is much less homicidal in AoS?

If there's one thing this show has taught me, it's that there's always one slot on the team available for secretly homicidal psychopaths.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Can someone remind me how the terrigen crystals got into the ocean in the first place? I think it was Shield's/Daisy's fault, but can't quite focus the memory.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Can someone remind me how the terrigen crystals got into the ocean in the first place? I think it was Shield's/Daisy's fault, but can't quite focus the memory.

Jiaying tried to infect everyone using the shield helicarrier it wound up in the ocean.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think she brought down planes that were going to spread it through the air and the planes sunk into the ocean.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Daisy's Mom had a case of terrigen crystals infused with diviner metal she was going to use to kill humans/evolve inhumans, but the case crashed in to the ocean when the RealSHIELD boat was hijacked.

The terrigen then leaked from the diviner crystals, contaminating the ecosystem and removing the deadly diviner side effect for non-inhumans. Fish carrying terrigen gases were then processed for fish oil capsules, exposing imbibers to the potentials.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Balon posted:

Fish carrying terrigen gases were then processed for fish oil capsules, exposing imbibers to the potentials.

What's funny is in my experience the kinds of people who actually take fish oil pills.. well.. let's just say we should have a lot of super powered senior citizens buzzing around.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
People were getting it from eating fish too, not just the fish oil in particular.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Javid posted:

People were getting it from eating fish too, not just the fish oil in particular.

They had at least one episode where they'd show a terrigen husk next to a bottle of fish oil pills and hydra was hoarding the pills if I remember correctly. But I'm sure eating the fish would do it too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

hangedman1984 posted:

Imo it's functionally impossible at this point that Uncle Eli isn't the one who ordered the hit on Robbie and Gabe in the first place. Dunno if this had, or will have, anything to do with Robbie's vengeance spirit, but I'm thinking they'll keep the homicidal part of that character.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Imo it's functionally impossible at this point that Uncle Eli isn't the one who ordered the hit on Robbie and Gabe in the first place. Dunno if this had, or will have, anything to do with Robbie's vengeance spirit, but I'm thinking they'll keep the homicidal part of that character.

:wow: That didn't occur to me but I bet you're right

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Why would he?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

Why would he?

There's no way Eli isn't up to eyeballs with the events around the book.

Maybe it was a sacrifice he had to make to get power. Human sacrifice of family members by way of drive by.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

flosofl posted:

There's no way Eli isn't up to eyeballs with the events around the book.

Maybe it was a sacrifice he had to make to get power. Human sacrifice of family members by way of drive by.

How did they tie anything about the book to the Fifth Street Locos?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cjg posted:

How did they tie anything about the book to the Fifth Street Locos?

I don't think they have?

But again, Eli is probably the dude that ordered the hit. So maybe that's all the connection there is.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I might be misremembering, but wasn't Eli the guy who directed Robbie to all the people he had murdered up to this point? He mentioned that in episode two or something.

That combined with the fact that the Loco in prison last week was like "We don't know the VERY MYSTERIOUS BACKSTORY-PERTINENT PERSON who put the hit on you guys, but it wasn't personal," just makes it seem real obvious that, yeah, it's probably Eli. I mean it's not like there are a ton of other suspects.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I might be misremembering, but wasn't Eli the guy who directed Robbie to all the people he had murdered up to this point? He mentioned that in episode two or something.

I do not remember this at all, so I'm gonna have to ask for a direct quote on this one, preferably with a timestamp.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

hangedman1984 posted:

I don't remember. Internet says 'Eli Morrow' is the uncle from the books -- and that is indeed who José Zúñiga is billed as playing, so ... maybe?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

That combined with the fact that the Loco in prison last week was like "We don't know the VERY MYSTERIOUS BACKSTORY-PERTINENT PERSON who put the hit on you guys, but it wasn't personal," just makes it seem real obvious that, yeah, it's probably Eli. I mean it's not like there are a ton of other suspects.

And the fact that everyone who could name the person who put the hit on them died immediately. And the fact that Eli's pretty cagey around even Robbie. And Robbie's increasing uncertainty about his powers as his world widens beyond "gently caress up dudes who hurt people in the neighborhood" means a hard choice and maybe an internal battle when it's Eli. I mean, we got the setup for it being A Significant Reveal. The most likely suspects are Eli and the Big Bad yet to come, and if it's the Big Bad, why did it bother hiring a small street gang from nearby?

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

flosofl posted:

But again, Eli is probably the dude that ordered the hit. So maybe that's all the connection there is.

Just....because?

We'll see, I suppose, but at this point in time, it seems a lot of you are just making poo poo up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cjg posted:

Just....because?

We'll see, I suppose, but at this point in time, it seems a lot of you are just making poo poo up.

Of course, we are. That's half the fun, and with this show you have a pretty good likelihood of hitting the mark every now and then. But I honestly think Eli is involved with the book deeper than has been revealed.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

flosofl posted:

Of course, we are. That's half the fun, and with this show you have a pretty good likelihood of hitting the mark every now and then. But I honestly think Eli is involved with the book deeper than has been revealed.

Well, the fact that he is super cagey about the book and beat the poo poo out of the guy who had them use the book and refused to help SHIELD is definitely an "alarms sounding" situation. However, I think the person who ordered the hit on them is going to be someone new and an excuse to bring another C-level (or maybe even B-level!) villain onto the show.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Ward ordered the hit.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

OB_Juan posted:

Why would he?

Maybe it had nothing to do with the book and he was just sick of having to provide for these two brats that he never signed up to raise

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

cjg posted:

Just....because?

If you watch enough TV, or read enough books, eventually you start to sense patterns emerging.

On the other hand, sometimes Goons look for things that aren't there because they're convinced there has to be a twist. You can see some persistent theories in the Westworld thread, for instance.

I mean, we'll see, right?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean there's also the fact that the character is literally evil in the comics, so. Well. He's probably evil here too. Marvel TV isn't like DC TV; if they're villains in the source, they're probably gonna be villains here too.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

pee out my butt posted:

Ward ordered the hit.

Now I really want to book to inadvertently cause a Ghost Ward to be summoned.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's possible that Eli ordered the hit for some kind of sacrifice thing, but I doubt it.

The conversation between Robbie that the Loco seemed to me like the hit was ordered because random street violence, then Robbie got his powers and murdered every other 5th street loco, except the one he couldn't get to in prison. Obviously the prison guy didn't know it was Robbie, that's why he was like "then my whole gang got massacred idunno".

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

shove me like you do posted:

Now I really want to book to inadvertently cause a Ghost Ward to be summoned.

Well, we don't have any evidence that the spirit of vengeance inside Robbie isn't Grant Ward.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

pee out my butt posted:

Well, we don't have any evidence that the spirit of vengeance inside Robbie isn't Grant Ward.

It hasn't been creepy at Daisy.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's the dog's spirit, which makes more sense as something that hates evildoers.

Or the spirit of May's principle of not sleeping with co-workers.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

homullus posted:

And the fact that everyone who could name the person who put the hit on them died immediately.

Because Robbie murdered them. At least, that's the implication I got from the prison scene. Robbie asks the boss for answers, the boss says he doesn't have them because somebody has been murdering all the other Fifth Street Locos, and Robbie gives a look like "oh, poo poo, whoops." He doesn't look surprised at all. He looks surprised when he finds out there was a hit put on them, but his look when he finds out all the people with answers are dead is more like :doh:.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

The MSJ posted:

Or the spirit of May's principle of not sleeping withtalking to co-workers.

And I think Gabe ordered the hit. If anyone's secretly evil, it's that kid.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

pee out my butt posted:

Ward ordered the hit.

He's not even alive, he just ordered a random hit on a guy years ago and what's left of HYDRA finally got around to it recently

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Because Robbie murdered them. At least, that's the implication I got from the prison scene. Robbie asks the boss for answers, the boss says he doesn't have them because somebody has been murdering all the other Fifth Street Locos, and Robbie gives a look like "oh, poo poo, whoops." He doesn't look surprised at all. He looks surprised when he finds out there was a hit put on them, but his look when he finds out all the people with answers are dead is more like :doh:.

Let's be fair, the Ghost Rider murdered them. Robbie didn't just get powers, he got possessed by something.

Chokes McGee posted:

He's not even alive, he just ordered a random hit on a guy years ago and what's left of HYDRA finally got around to it recently

Do we actually know when it happened? I'm a little sketchy on the timeline. Hopefully, that will be cleared up tonight.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Spergatory posted:

I understand why they are dead. The plot is not hard. If you consume a certain amount of media with an eye toward narrative, though, you see patterns emerge. The "we don't know who put the hit on those boys" is Chekov's Gun. Since every firsthand witness is dead, only the person who ordered the hit can reveal it, and will absolutely do so. It could be an unknown mid-boss (but again, if it's some powerful unknown character, why order a hit via a small-town gang? In a world with inhumans on top of regular crime, they don't need a "cover", that character could just murder them), but this show has spent many seasons throwing serious plot punches in place of middling crap like that. Again, the very scene where Robbie finds out it was somebody else who ordered the hit is one with his fight for control. It's going to be replayed when good old Eli gets outed.

We've also already seen Eli protest that he's paid the price for what he's done.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I propose a different compelling narrative to counter your compelling narrative: one of the Darkhold scientists ordered the hit to put pressure on Eli. Good reason to beat someone into a coma, eh?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This stage of the season--the "let's throw poo poo on the wall and see what sticks" speculation from the thread--is always the best. No sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Heads up peeps: SHIELD is taking a three week (at least!) break off after tonight's episode. Election, loving David Blaine Special, and Dancing With The Stars finale, respectively.

That's also nearly the entire November Sweeps period, barring tonight's episode, and a potential episode at the end of November. The likelihood of an even a short season renewal (to round the show out to 100 episodes) is incredibly unlikely.

Edit: That last part is my speculation -- from what I understand, reaching 88 episodes (i.e. the end of this season) is enough to reach minimum syndication requirements, though I understand that they'll get considerably more money for selling 100 episodes rather than 88, which makes a final shortened season renewal a possibility -- provided that they don't throw the 18 Agent Carter episodes in to the mix.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 1, 2016

• Locked thread