Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
60 year olds can still be swole

once you're 70 you are ancient and will struggle to do anything swole-related. unless you're this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJaZDGVNWA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Zzulu posted:

once you're 70 you are ancient and will struggle to do anything swole-related. unless you're this guy:

https://www.drlife.com/ they don't sell steroids on TV where you're from?

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Zzulu posted:

im okay with girls joining, but there are enough boys here tbh

no boys allowed

No new dudes, nude dudes ok tho

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zzulu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdTeA35y4JE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEOgYRgusb0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMWI4tZJN2A

I can't find the video I was looking for. Pretty sure someone 70+ competed at USAPL Raw Nationals this year. There's also a canadian guy.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Khorne posted:

You forgot the key commandment of elderly gym use: Thou shalt not have a rom greater than 0.5 inches, even if you are guaranteed to have greater rom while doing things like walking or getting situated at the machine.

This one guy moves the weights in like 20 pico-reps a second through spasming oscillation.

TIGER LIFT!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MSid_ettevQ

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMuTRCllYp4

Happy Halloween, bros!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Unless you're a former pro bodybuilder (Andreas Cahling).

sketch_nimrod
Apr 1, 2010
looks like bruce willis, in the face.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Here's some good advice on gaining weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBLPO_WMGOQ&hd=1

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
"Maybe try a clean bulk instead of eating poo poo."
:magical:

He was very well spoken and I really liked listening, thanks for the link.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I would be tempted to do Romanian deadlifts in that case, so you only have to worry about touching down lightly at the end of your set

romanian deadlifts are the only real deadlifts

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

"Maybe try a clean bulk instead of eating poo poo."
:magical:

He was very well spoken and I really liked listening, thanks for the link.
All I'm hearing is "born to gain mass" because I love eating 6,000+ kcals/day and my digestive system handles it like a champ. Bowel movements once per day, pretty much never an upset stomach or anything like that. And clean foods usually taste great anyway. That was before I did any physical activity. I've been eating around 2600-2800 for the past 3 months or so and lost like 23lbs, and it's okay. I'm not hungry, but I want to eat more most days. Probably because I am not getting all that many carbs most days hitting 260g/protein and around 75g/fat per day.

I doubt I'll ever eat that much for any extended period again, but boy do I love consuming food. Once I hit 14%-16% bf I am going to wait a few weeks then hop back on the surplus train in a slow, controlled way.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 1, 2016

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Eating clean is cool for cutting since "clean" food is usually also not very calorie dense so you can eat tons of it even at a deficit.

My problem is that clean eating pretty much means "food you prepare/cook on your own" and the food I can make takes too long to make and tastes horrible. I wish there was like a 2000 calorie pill so I can solely concentrate on working out

Khorne
May 1, 2002

UnfurledSails posted:

Eating clean is cool for cutting since "clean" food is usually also not very calorie dense so you can eat tons of it even at a deficit.

My problem is that clean eating pretty much means "food you prepare/cook on your own" and the food I can make takes too long to make and tastes horrible. I wish there was like a 2000 calorie pill so I can solely concentrate on working out
I wasn't too keen on the cooking at first, but I feel way better eating clean and the results are way more consistent. Nutrition fact labels are total bullshit.

I buy 6lbs pack of chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts and you can literally toss salt/pepper/cayenne on them and then put them in the oven on 400 for an hour, check the temperature, and add around 10 minutes for every 10 degrees it is away from 180. Comes out juicy as heck every time. For variety you can mix with rice, toppings, or even tortillas and some cheese and vegetables. Or you can just eat the chicken breast, altho if you eat 1.25lbs at once with no carbs it kinda sucks downing the last 0.25-0.5lbs. Cumin, onion, and garlic powders are also decent things to season with.

I've also sauted, but that does take lots of time if you're doing 6lbs of chicken. Need to cut it and do like 3-4 pan fulls. I often just marinated them briefly in some kind of pseudo buffalo sauce with worcestershire sauce and frank's hot sauce with chicken prepared this way. Goes great with rice.

Lately I've been eating burritos with 85-15 ground beef. 3.5lbs of beef in the pan with 3 bell peppers and 2 onions, strain, put it back in the pan, toss in a big can or two of refried beans. Put in a tortilla with whatever veggies (lettuce/tomato being obvious) and some cheese. Lasts around 5 days. You can see with the taco or fajita seasoning packets but I prefer it without that. If you want to eat something real lazy and kinda gross you could use regular ol baked beans with no veggies and it will literally taste like baked beans. I'd recommend against it, personally.

I guess I am weird because I like plain food quite a lot, too. Too many seasonings and you can't taste the ingredients.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 1, 2016

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
u need to step your burrito game up son

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Y'all big people are magical :magical:
Us manlets can only dream of 6000 kcal.

Re: cooking - actually learning to cook something tasty is kind of a challenge, but when you do get it it makes eating clean so much easier.

I really miss having time to plan my meals and cook, I hope I can get back to that soon. Fried chicken is great, but I don't have the time to lift heavy enough for it to matter.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Chinatown posted:

u need to step your burrito game up son
I'm open to suggestions. The burrito game is a new thing. I use too much refried beans at the moment, and while that results in kinda sweet macros when you eat 0% greek yogurt and whey protein too it's not ideal because eating a lot of beans isn't such a great thing it turns out, so I would be glad to use a lot less and substitute with something else.

I was going to get some salsa next time. I usually manage to cram all of that stuff I listed into 10 extra large tortillas.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 1, 2016

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

UnfurledSails posted:

Have you tried stir fry? There's a ton of room to experiment with spices and since you're cooking diced meat it goes really fast.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
go to your local carneceria and get flank steak/pollo asada

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Burritos: carne asada, black beans, cilantro, onions, salsa. Maybe rice instead of beans. Guacamole if you need some more calories / gently caress it put guacamole on because it's delicious. Add lemon/lime juice if you think it needs it. Chopped up Bell peppers if you need some fiber, but that's it. Anything else and you've hosed it up.

Edit: meat substitutions are okay, default should be carne asada.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
also u can keep your burrito proteins/hot items in a seperate tupperware and reheat it by itself and add to a warm tortilla with fresh veggies

no more soggy reheated burritos

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Chinatown posted:

go to your local carneceria and get flank steak/pollo asada
We don't have a carneceria. We have some salchicharias. The regular supermarkets here also carry that stuff you listed.

I thought you were talking about toppings/seasonings. Ground beef has been on sale, I paid $2.85/lb for 93-7 the other week and $1.99/lb for 85-15 the other 2 weeks. At those prices the value is too high to not buy it and make burritos. It's normally like twice the price or something, or at least 50% more.

Chinatown posted:

also u can keep your burrito proteins/hot items in a seperate tupperware and reheat it by itself and add to a warm tortilla with fresh veggies

no more soggy reheated burritos
I just keep the meat and stuff in a pan with foil on top in the fridge, the vegetables in individual ziplocs, and then heat the meat (or meat+tortilla, no real difference), add cheese, heat briefly, then add vegetables.

Baked chicken breast, I usually just toss that in a ziploc. Sauted chicken I keep in a dish of some kind like someone who's not a savage.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 1, 2016

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Khorne posted:

I just keep the meat and stuff in a pan with foil on top in the fridge, the vegetables in individual ziplocs, and then heat the meat (or meat+tortilla, no real difference), add cheese, heat briefly, then add vegetables.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

To the people asking how to deadlift quietly put down 2 yoga mats folded a couple times below each side of the bar. All the gyms in Korea are on the 4th floor or higher so it is standard practice out here.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

UnfurledSails posted:

You can't gently caress up with a grill and about 5 pounds of hamburgers and chicken thighs. Getting into a meal prep routine really helps me out.

If you don't like what you make, try some pre-made marinades and rotate to keep them fresh.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Honestly the protein and the carbs are not the main problem. I just throw chicken in the oven with a ton of spices and use a rice cooker. Tastes decent, although the chicken get to around 165 degrees after 30 minutes or so at 350? Maybe I shouldn't cut them up beforehand?

The fats and the veggies are the main issue. My fats come from cashews, almonds, peanuts etc. but they suck for cutting since they are ridiculously calorie dence and not at all filling. For veggies I used to buy mostly peppers, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes and dice them for sautee but it's a drain spending all that time prepping all that when they go bad in 3 days.

So I'm sticking to getting frozen broccoli and boiling them in bulk but that's pretty much the saddest thing

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i eat dis on the reg now

https://www.instacart.com/costco/products/57981-kirkland-signature-organic-vegetables-5-5-lb?department_id=119

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
get broccoli/cauliflower/brussels sprouts. roughly chop, toss in some oil with salt, pepper and whatever else you want. takes 5 minutes to prep, cooks in 25 minutes. gets you veggie and fat together

edit: or sautee some baby spinach or baby kale in olive oil with garlic. prep is as long as it takes to mince a couple cloves of garlic and it's ready in under 5 minutes

GRILLARY CLINTON fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 1, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is it possible to eat healthy entirely out of a crockpot and other things that don't really require cooking? The oven is a piece of poo poo in my apartment that can't even cook a frozen pizza correctly. I have a foreman grill but that thing seems like a pos too although I may just not know how to use it right.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is it possible to eat healthy entirely out of a crockpot and other things that don't really require cooking? The oven is a piece of poo poo in my apartment that can't even cook a frozen pizza correctly. I have a foreman grill but that thing seems like a pos too although I may just not know how to use it right.

I did it with a crockpot plus a stove top for a long time.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

buy whatever cheap big cut you want (bone-in) throw that poo poo in a crock pot with lots of salt, potatoes, carrots, and whatever tickles your fancy. cook for 12 hours on low

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
loving POOSIES.

Crock pot ? Guinness beer as your soup stock. Not even joking a little.

Baked beans ? Better be in a smoker with a 10lb pork butt draining butt juice fat onto it from above.

Edit: you people want calorie and protein dense food suggestions should head over to the slow smoking meat thread. They'd wrap their own children in bacon and eat them if the laws would allow.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 1, 2016

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just got back from a week in cancun. I pretty much survived on mexican tequila ceasars and tapas.

I feel my internal organs resemble beef jerky. I need a water and vegetable diet for a couple days.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
The gym is busy today

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Keg posted:

The gym is busy today

Mine too. I think everyone pledged to be ripped by next Halloween

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
It was actually just the lunch hour rush I think because the gym isn't busy now.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

trying out my new squat shirt

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMRsjH6g-lW

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I admire that wrist flexibility. I just suicide grip when I squat otherwise my baby wrists will snap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Leg day today, ski day tomorrow. Gym!