Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Hah, I thought that was a marketing gimmic, didn't realize they were ever actually issued. Bet you could sell it for decent cash to an airsoft nerd or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for good coffee mugs (not travel mugs) that I can get with neat designs on them. Dishwasher safe, decent holding capacity.

Really just want to know if there is a good site to order nerd type mugs. I had some from thinkgeek with the elemental symbol for caffeine on them but they wore off after one wash.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like these. I have the camp mug and the gently caress it.

http://fourbarrelcoffee.com/product-category/merch/

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Uh strange request...

Where can I buy a gold bar? I was watching Cody's Lab on YouTube and he was messing around with a gold bar and I figured that it would be pretty cool if I had a tiny one I could look at. Are there any sites I should be looking at to buy a small one?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Gold is $1200 an ounce. A small gold bar is about 35 oz.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Gold is $1200 an ounce. A small gold bar is about 35 oz.

The one on cody's lab wasn't that big (30 grams / 1 ounce), but yeah, gold is pretty dang expensive atm.

If you just want a little gold to screw around with, I usually buy my gold wire from Rio Grande.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Tunicate posted:

The one on cody's lab wasn't that big (30 grams / 1 ounce), but yeah, gold is pretty dang expensive atm.

If you just want a little gold to screw around with, I usually buy my gold wire from Rio Grande.

I guess.... I won't be... Getting... Gold...

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

obi_ant posted:

Google for "gold bar" has this as the first result: http://www.jmbullion.com/gold/gold-bars/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

obi_ant posted:

And that's why you're going to starve when Hillary takes office and paper money is worthless. Gotta have that gold to buy future groceries man.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I've gotta stand all day at a conference while wearing nice dress shoes and my lower back always wants to fall apart after this. Are there any specific inner soles that are best for this?

More than any insole, what will help with this is training your posture - ribs over hips, cheekbones over collarbones, dont' lock your knees and most importantly, let the upper half of your body rest on your activated core (imagine yoru abs as a stack of tires, sit your ribs on the tires) - it's lazy posture that ruins the lower back. It'll be annoying to think about it all the time and keep correcting yourself throughout the day, but after a week or so it'll be unconscious. I could recommend a book but why spend money when you clearly have the internet.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
With winter around the corner I'm looking to get a good, quality pair of slippers. I'm super pro wool as a material, if possible. Figure I'm planning for around $75 for a pair that will last me a long time, but I can go higher if need be.

Any ideas, thread?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Barracuda Bang! posted:

With winter around the corner I'm looking to get a good, quality pair of slippers. I'm super pro wool as a material, if possible. Figure I'm planning for around $75 for a pair that will last me a long time, but I can go higher if need be.

Any ideas, thread?

I'm a big fan of the Old Friend brand

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I have a pair of Baffin slippers that I like. They're like sleeping bags for your feet. I've had mine for like 2 years and they're holding up fine.

In a similar vein, looking for a new pair of gloves for the winter. Don't need anything particularly heavy duty. Touchscreen capability would be a big plus. Massdrop has ExOfficio Touchscreen Stretch gloves up right now that look pretty good (other than the branding, which is a little annoying), anyone have thoughts on those or another pair they'd recommend?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

black.lion posted:

More than any insole, what will help with this is training your posture - ribs over hips, cheekbones over collarbones, dont' lock your knees and most importantly, let the upper half of your body rest on your activated core (imagine yoru abs as a stack of tires, sit your ribs on the tires) - it's lazy posture that ruins the lower back. It'll be annoying to think about it all the time and keep correcting yourself throughout the day, but after a week or so it'll be unconscious. I could recommend a book but why spend money when you clearly have the internet.

drat thanks for this. I found a few good stretches that I do during the day to help but will keep all of this in mind.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I really love the idea of slippers, but I need something super breathable since my feet are always hot. I normally just wear some nike sandals, but I feel like a scrub if I happen to go out to run an errand and don't feel like putting on actual shoes. Some of those canvas boat shoe style things look super comfy, but not sure I can pull off the style since I don't normally wear khakis and polo shirts.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Inspector 34 posted:

I really love the idea of slippers, but I need something super breathable since my feet are always hot. I normally just wear some nike sandals, but I feel like a scrub if I happen to go out to run an errand and don't feel like putting on actual shoes. Some of those canvas boat shoe style things look super comfy, but not sure I can pull off the style since I don't normally wear khakis and polo shirts.

Wear socks with them, and then ask the guy who wanted the iPhone belt and the guy that wanted Ecko comfort fit dress shoes to go shopping together.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice warm throw blanket that's also large? Just looking for something simple like a fleece or faux-shearling that's roughly about a queen size.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Chip McFuck posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice warm throw blanket that's also large? Just looking for something simple like a fleece or faux-shearling that's roughly about a queen size.

Pendleton

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

Are their washable wool blankets good too? i have to imagine i'd want to wash the blanket eventually

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's my line!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Heh look at these dumbs, Brahms Mount is the way to go. (well I went with them because they're washable) They do a sale near the holidays though so you might want to wait for that. No wait go Swan's Island instead.Perhaps Faribault?

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 07:48 on Oct 26, 2016

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Do they make beer glasses (pints, mugs) that stay colder if you keep them in your freezer? Just wondering, thought it might be possible.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

colas posted:

Do they make beer glasses (pints, mugs) that stay colder if you keep them in your freezer? Just wondering, thought it might be possible.

Yes! There are double-walled ones with water in the middle that you freeze. Extremely good for root beer floats.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=freezer+mug

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Lawen posted:

I have a pair of Baffin slippers that I like. They're like sleeping bags for your feet. I've had mine for like 2 years and they're holding up fine.

In a similar vein, looking for a new pair of gloves for the winter. Don't need anything particularly heavy duty. Touchscreen capability would be a big plus. Massdrop has ExOfficio Touchscreen Stretch gloves up right now that look pretty good (other than the branding, which is a little annoying), anyone have thoughts on those or another pair they'd recommend?

My wife got me these last year and they're pretty nice. They fit well, the touchscreen compatibility is good, and they're lightweight enough I can buy a thicker pair to go over them if I need to.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Good sports wired earbuds? Something with hooks or loops that'll keep the sons of bitches in my cavernous earholes.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Not Jaybirds, they're pieces of poo poo.

Anything with an ear flange should stick in.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Looking for a cheap coffee maker or electric kettle for my cube at work for tea/instant noodles.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Can someone tell me what I need to look for in a docking station thingie for triple monitor setup on a laptop

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What is a good casual-ish winter boot? I have a pair of Columbia Bugaboots but I feel like they're only for crazy blizzards. I want something waterproof (preferably) that I can wear around town. I live in Ohio for a sense of my climate.

Edit: Perhaps something like these

Endymion FRS MK1 has a new favorite as of 02:57 on Nov 2, 2016

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

signalnoise posted:

Can someone tell me what I need to look for in a docking station thingie for triple monitor setup on a laptop

Do you have some sort of gaming laptop with a dedicated video card with display port or HDMI and enough resolution to support 3 monitors?

If not, than you'll probably have to go for some combo of your built in video output, plus a USB 3.0 video adapter for the 3rd (maybe also the second as well, if you're actually running 4 independent displays including the native screen on the laptop) monitor. USB video adapters are kinda laggy JFYI.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Computer Serf posted:

Do you have some sort of gaming laptop with a dedicated video card with display port or HDMI and enough resolution to support 3 monitors?

Yes

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Can anyone recommend a lotion or something for the backs of my hands? They get terribly dry in the winter and the only thing that seems to work is petroleum jelly, which is very gross.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

signalnoise posted:

What is your laptop model? Anything that will have built-in video outputs that actually take advantage of the laptop's onboard video will need to be purpose-built by the same manufacturer. Does your laptop have a proprietary docking interface on the side or bottom?

Computer Serf posted:

Honestly my work laptop is a run of the mill Lenovo E555 with an AMD A6 and handles 2x 1080 monitors (connected via built in HDMI and VGA ports) plus its own 1366x768 panel just fine. Granted I'm just doing desktop work with it but you don't need a gaming laptop to support multiple displays.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Can anyone recommend a lotion or something for the backs of my hands? They get terribly dry in the winter and the only thing that seems to work is petroleum jelly, which is very gross.

Have you tried O'Keeffe's working hands before? I get terrible dry hands in the winter too and it works great and doesn't smell which is a huge plus for me.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Geoj posted:

What is your laptop model? Anything that will have built-in video outputs that actually take advantage of the laptop's onboard video will need to be purpose-built by the same manufacturer. Does your laptop have a proprietary docking interface on the side or bottom?

I'm unsure because I don't have it yet. But it's this guy right here

https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GE62VR-Apache-Pro-6th-Gen-GTX-1060.html#hero-specification&sku_no=1773

I don't particularly care what shape the solution takes, but I need this guy to run on the same 3 monitors that my home desktop does. I imagine I'll need a KVM or something too, but first things first.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
It has a mini DisplayPort - you could use a DisplayPort hub which allows three additional devices to run off of a single DisplayPort. Might need some combination of adapters to get your displays to work with that, assuming they aren't relatively new.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

I also am partial to Cornhusker's lotion.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Casu Marzu posted:

Looking for a cheap coffee maker or electric kettle for my cube at work for tea/instant noodles.

I've been happy with this T-Fal electric kettle: https://amzn.com/B0086UJQN8

Not sure if there's a smaller capacity one if size is an issue. It's not too big as it is.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been happy with this T-Fal electric kettle: https://amzn.com/B0086UJQN8

Not sure if there's a smaller capacity one if size is an issue. It's not too big as it is.

Awesome, this looks good. Gonna try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Vaseline Intensive Care "problem skin therapy". It was also sold as "Vaseline Creamy". It's a cream (so, water-based) that contains ~30% petroleum jelly, so it's quite thick but rubs on like a cream and soaks in quite well. Just look for a circular all-white jar with rounded edges.

As an aside, I was taught there are three different types of skin treatments - lotions, creams, and ointments. Lotion = alcohol base, cream = water base, ointment = oil base. If you have really dry skin, you might want to avoid lotions, as the alcohol that helps it dry faster is also not terribly good for dry skin.