Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's the other caveat I forgot. If there somehow actually is fire to go with the smoke for once in Clinton's life, then she could probably be impeached successfully, though to be fair, if she really did do something Watergate-level illegal, she should be. And, on top of that, she'd probably follow Nixon's example and resign if she got caught doing something actually, legitimately bad, so we'd hopefully be spared the impeachment trial altogether.

The GOP has had Killary under a microscope for decades and they still couldn't find any wrongdoing on her part aside from EMAIL EMAILS EMAILS. What makes you think she will all of a sudden become some super evil corrupt entity now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

DeathSandwich posted:

Didn't Bill got impeached largely because the Blue Dogs brought out the knives and turned on him? Impeachment requires a supermajority of 67 yeas and the 105th congress only had 55 republicans. With how much more polarized politics has become since then I just don't see 10+ democrats flipping unless some truly gnarly poo poo comes out against her that actually sticks.

If the entire 105th Congress only had 55 Republicans, the impeachment would never have happened. You're thinking about the Senate -- they don't decide whether to impeach, but whether to remove from office following an impeachment.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

vyelkin posted:

iirc you need two thirds of the Senate to vote for an impeachment and at present there is literally zero chance of either party ever holding 67 out of 100 Senate seats.

Well thats good to know.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Seriously. The national polling was at +1 to +2 Obama at this time in 2012.

Yeah, this whole election is feeling like that movie, the great white hype. Trump is going to get knocked the gently caress out and everyone is going to scratch their heads wondering how when it was so neck and neck the whole time!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Agrajag posted:

The GOP has had Killary under a microscope for decades and they still couldn't find any wrongdoing on her part aside from EMAIL EMAILS EMAILS. What makes you think she will all of a sudden become some super evil corrupt entity now?

I don't think that! I was just offering a hypothetical.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Agrajag posted:

I honestly don't believe 95% of politicians could undergo the same amount of scrutiny and come out unscathed. Could you imagine Trumps or Ryans entire email history leaking?

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data posted:

In the very least we can rest assured that we're electing the most thoroughly vetted president in American history. There's nothing shocking left to learn about HRC.

what we know right now is only the tip of the corruption iceberg. Just wait until they start thoroughly investigating the clinton foundation thats where all the bodies are hidden

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

gently caress oyu OP I'll drink responsibly when I'm dead.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Agrajag posted:

It's a hypothetical to create a scenario where impeachment and removal from office is possible. The only reason that was gonna work in 1974 (which prompted Nixon to resign after Goldwater basically told him that the game was up) was because a good chunk of the Republican Senatorial delegation was going to vote in favor of removal. That's what would have to happen to sink Hillary, unless there's a catastrophic wipeout of Democratic Senatorial candidates in 2018.

Even in the 1999 impeachment, though, you had 5 or so Republicans voting against removal (including the noble senator John Chafee of Rhode Island, father to a martyred son, Lincoln Chafee, who would be beating Trump by 20 points now).

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

http://www.bizbucksguy.com/index.cfm?pID=6816

This guy is teaching a two day course. gently caress this guy. Of course my boss signed me up. gently caress this, back to my desk.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Wyld Thang posted:

The media wins no matter if Trump or Clinton win. Both are revenue generators.

You'd think this, and it's true for at least this election cycle, but IIRC CNN's overall ratings are in the toilet and the way they've conducted themselves this year isn't gonna help. For a brief moment they found their balls and had a moment of self-realization, but only after Trump dared to insult one of their own* and stiff them during meetings. Once the rage wore off, they went right back to EMAILS EMAILS HORSE RACE EMAILS at first opportunity, and the narrative was not once "jesus loving christ this again why."

It is not biased reporting to say that. She defended herself without issue in front of a nothingburger panel for hours. She was cleared of wrongdoing (not incompetence, though) by the FBI. The mail Comey sent could not have possibly been a vaguer fishing expedition. This has been going on for a year plus, and nothing has come of it. There is no excuse to post main page headlines taking the loving emails seriously.

* I like Andersoon Cooper though, he's awesome

They have been actively complicit in enabling the rise of the Fascist Yam Man from the non-stop coverage of any time Clinton sneezes, and any headway they made towards respectability during the last few months is gone. They've learned nothing. I look forward to watching them wilt away on the vine.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Augus posted:

gently caress oyu OP I'll drink responsibly when I'm dead.

we don't have a drinking problem

we have a drinking solution :smuggo:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I bet there's going to be lots of impeachment threats constantly but even the GOP has to know they can't gently caress that chicken without 2/3 of the Senate and not looks like the idiots they were in the 90's.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Tracking Poll! :derp:

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

also, in coming from the future, im laughing my rear end off at these threads because all the concern about hillarys health was actually justified because we ended up with 7 years 10 months of president tim kaine, which of course led to the technological singularity and our colonization of the moons of jupiter

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Koirhor posted:

oh god did the one black guy LA Times bothers to sample change his mind again :stonk:

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Koirhor posted:

Packing Troll.

Makes you think.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Radish posted:

I bet there's going to be lots of impeachment threats constantly but even the GOP has to know they can't gently caress that chicken

Let me stop you right there.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Spoondick posted:

also, in coming from the future, im laughing my rear end off at these threads because all the concern about hillarys health was actually justified because we ended up with 7 years 10 months of president tim kaine, which of course led to the technological singularity and our colonization of the moons of jupiter

Well, that's what happens when we're all in harmony-ca.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Spoondick posted:

Tim Kaine would be winning this race by 12 points.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Clinton's inner circle knew FIVE YEARS AGO that Anthony Weiner was messaging an underage girl on Twitter - but did nothing about it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3890748/Clinton-s-inner-circle-knew-FIVE-YEARS-AGO-Anthony-Weiner-talking-underage-girl-did-it.html

I'm a Clinton voter, but I have to admit that it'd actually be pretty funny if Carlos Danger caused her to lose the election.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Tim Kaine could not have beaten Trump in a debate and wouldn't have enjoyed a post-debate bump.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Yeah, the lowest of lows when CNN/everyone pissed about, speculating on Killery getting sick from pneumonia, and trying to work through it, as if it were a bad thing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Oh my god would you gently caress off with these hypotheticals?

Hillary is the candidate. She's not the worst one ever, because she's going to win.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Can we give Mcmagic the corncob treatment?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The daily mail is a tabloid rag. Also Hillary's "inner circle" is seemingly thousands.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mcmagic posted:

yeah yeah, anybody with a dick would be beating the Nasty Woman hillary

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Also targeting Huma for criticism because of Weiner being a creepy pedo is pretty low.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deified Data posted:

Tim Kaine could not have beaten Trump in a debate and wouldn't have enjoyed a post-debate bump.

Ugh, now I'm imagining Kaine debating Trump, and after his VP debate performance I can't imagine that going well. I mean, Trump would still probably look worse, but it'd have just been an incredibly unpleasant experience all around.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Endorph posted:

yeah yeah, anybody with a dick would be beating the Nasty Woman hillary

I wouldn't want to run anyone with 59% unfavorability. Dick or no dick.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

WampaLord posted:

Hillary is the candidate. She's not the worst one ever, because she's going to win.

I wonder if the repubs would be calling bernard sanders out for his honeymooning in the soviet union alongside trump sucking putin's dick

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WampaLord posted:

To go down this tangent: who was the worst presidential candidate ever? Let's say worst Democratic one, and then expand to worst ever as a secondary. Limit it to candidates who actually ran in a general, maybe leave out candidates not from major parties.

I feel like McGovern's gotta be in the running for worst Democratic candidate, at least going by his performance. How bad do you gotta be to be the only Democratic candidate to lose Minnesota since before Kennedy? (Though, to be fair, Mondale probably only won Minnesota because he was from there.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mcmagic posted:

'she has 59% unfavorability'

'but she's winning by more than obama did in 2012'

'BUT UNFAVORABILITY'

'but she's winning'

'but wahhhh i dont wanna have a bad lady president with a vagina between her legs wahhhh EMAILS'

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I still want to know why you are obsessed with this, you mention this several times a day in multiple versions of this thread now.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

How do you feel about making jokes about car bombing government officials?

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Any reason to worry over Hillary not doing as well with black people as in 2012? Or just unfounded due to her not being Obama?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I mean, sure, the Democratic voters chose her in the primaries, but they should just go gently caress themselves, right?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

kaleedity posted:

I wonder if the repubs would be calling bernard sanders out for his honeymooning in the soviet union alongside trump sucking putin's dick

Yeah they'd be calling Bernie a commie pinko while saying that Putin is a great leader of a proud people in the same sentence. They have no issues redefining reality on the fly and have no concrete ideology other than FYGM and bigotry. It's what makes campaigning on actual issues incredibly difficult since nothing matters to a chunk of the population.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

socialsecurity posted:

I still want to know why you are obsessed with this, you mention this several times a day in multiple versions of this thread now.

You gotta have a gimmick

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Any reason to worry over Hillary not doing as well with black people as in 2012? Or just unfounded due to her not being Obama?

Don't forget the increase in voter disenfranchisement thats gone on since 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So now that we've just got 7 days left, I feel like we should be talking about a real October "Surprise"

Donald Trump can't read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LFkN7QGp2c

• Locked thread