Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Master Twig posted:

People at my work do this all the time. And of course the microwave doesn't do anything else until you hit cancel. So half the time I put something in the microwave, then try to enter how long I want it to cook, and nothing happens. Sure, I could just take the extra time to look at the display and hit cancel, but that extra 5 seconds adds up.

For me the frustration is that your natural expectation is to just push the time you want. Normal microwave operation doesn't start with "check to see if previous rear end in a top hat cleared their time." So you don't really think about it and then you're standing there like an imbecile jabbing at buttons that aren't doing anything because Bob in Accounting doesn't like to hear the beeping noise and takes his food out with 0:02 left to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

This is such a universal problem that I don't understand why microwaves don't come with a "Beeping and screeching bullshit ON/OFF" switch by now.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When you try and rip off a paper towel with one hand and it goes fine except the little bit at the bottom that won't tear and the whole holder goes tumbling to the floor and you have to roll it back up. There's got to be a better way.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Yeah, it's called using two hands.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

-People who can't enjoy a movie or show because there is an actor in it who was also in something else they've seen.
Example: The girl I went to see the first Paul Blart movie with liked King of Queens, and she would repeatedly say "I just can't take him seriously!" Bitch, you're not supposed to take him seriously, it's a comedy.

-People who refuse to listen to new or different music.
Example: I have a friend who, at every party, will highjack the stereo. Then, after listening to multiple Kamelot and Dragonforce albums, someone will finally put something different on, and he'll sit there and mope for the rest of the time.

-Sore losers.
Example: When I was in university, I was playing Risk with a group of people. Eventually it was only me and two others left, and it was my turn. If I didn't take out person A this turn, he would've crippled me, and thinned himself out enough that person B would've steamrolled us both on her turn. So I cashed in my cards and began attacking. After taking just two territories the dude refused to even roll anymore, whining about how it wasn't fair, and eventually just left. It's a game, man. Sometimes you lose.

A White Guy posted:

I dunno what it is with SE Asia, but people are seriously nationalistic. It's so easy to troll SE Asia dudes just by talking minor poo poo about their country. If you want to get a bunch of nerds from the PRC angry, typing 'Taiwan #1' will unleash a torrent of completely unintelligible insults. Filipinos are even worse.

My best friend in high school was Taiwanese, and if you were bored you could just accuse him of being Chinese, sit back, and watch the rage fly.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
Another driving peeve:

Today while driving to work, I am at a 4-way stop, ready to go, when suddenly a giant truck hauling heavy equipment pulls out in front of me and starts reversing in order to park on another side street up ahead. I can't go anywhere while he is doing this, but everyone behind me at the stop sign starts losing their mind and honking at me to go.

When the coast is finally clear, I start trying to go through the intersection, but the jackass on my left totally steals my right of way and barrels through first, again making me stop. Cue another chorus of angry honks from behind me.

Like, what do you want me to do?? Literally drive into this giant truck or T-bone the idiot who jumped his place in queue? gently caress off!

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Why are you assuming the honks are for you? I'd probably honk, but it would most certainly be aimed at the truck and the rear end in a top hat that stole your shot.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I feel like there's a lot of people are overly defensive and think every honk is for them. A lot of times I will honk at someone that isn't the nearest person to me and get flipped off, but in reality I'm just honking at the rear end in a top hat in front of/next to you because you aren't and they need to be honked at. Next time maybe just join in, it's fun.

I know what I described is not the horn's intended use so save the lecture, but it's easier than rolling down the window and yelling at them.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

fizzymercy posted:

Why are you assuming the honks are for you? I'd probably honk, but it would most certainly be aimed at the truck and the rear end in a top hat that stole your shot.

Dunno, just assuming that people are mean and also stupid. That's generally how it goes.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

yo rear end is grass posted:

My best friend in high school was Taiwanese, and if you were bored you could just accuse him of being Chinese, sit back, and watch the rage fly.

My favorite pet peeve: equating nationality with ethnicity. Especially silly for China/Taiwan and India/Pakistan.

Well, that's not so much a pet peeve as the result of Westphalian nationalism being applied to multiethnic states outside of Europe, but what can you do.

Another post piece: my phone absolutely refuses to type the words "pet peeve".

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

genetic_knockout posted:

Dunno, just assuming that people are mean and also stupid. That's generally how it goes.

Eh okay I can see that. I was trained by my dad to assume that no honk was meant for me if I hadn't hosed up so I could stay calm in stressful traffic. It's like the only thing the man ever taught me that stuck, and it's been a godsend living in Houston.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
My coworkers don't just leave time on the clock, they leave the door to the microwave open too. And sometimes they even leave their food in there with the door open and time on the clock.

"Whose is this? Did you heat it already? You want that last 22 seconds?"

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

fizzymercy posted:

Eh okay I can see that. I was trained by my dad to assume that no honk was meant for me if I hadn't hosed up so I could stay calm in stressful traffic. It's like the only thing the man ever taught me that stuck, and it's been a godsend living in Houston.

See where I live, people usually don't honk very much, but I also have occasionally been on the receiving end of unwarranted honks. One time I was at the same intersection, stopped, then drove on through as normal. The lady behind me lost her mind and started honking at me and waving her arms like she was totally exasperated. I was so confused as to why she was pissed, because I literally didn't do anything wrong. I came to the conclusion that she must have thought I stopped for too long/was going too slowly.

I'm definitely not a perfect driver by any means, but if I'm not doing anything wrong and someone honks at me, I generally just assume that they are impatient assholes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Peoples' behavior with food/drinking in general in an office setting is just bizarre to me sometimes. In the real non-work world I usually never encounter such weird habits. You don't leave leftovers in your own refrigerator for months and let it become a mold colony at home, why do you do it at work?

In my last job the worst offender (who is still unknown) would just take ~6 liters of beer cans from the common area refrigerator. They would never completely empty it, but huge amounts would be missing every time someone refilled it. The main questions I had is how he/she got away with it so many times because it's kind of hard to conceal that amount of cans, and also why? It was maybe 8 dollars worth of beer tops, it just seemed so petty and intentionally annoying to everyone else.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

genetic_knockout posted:

See where I live, people usually don't honk very much, but I also have occasionally been on the receiving end of unwarranted honks. One time I was at the same intersection, stopped, then drove on through as normal. The lady behind me lost her mind and started honking at me and waving her arms like she was totally exasperated. I was so confused as to why she was pissed, because I literally didn't do anything wrong. I came to the conclusion that she must have thought I stopped for too long/was going too slowly.

I'm definitely not a perfect driver by any means, but if I'm not doing anything wrong and someone honks at me, I generally just assume that they are impatient assholes.

That woman has a mental illness. loving hell. Just assume anyone that honks at you has a weak constitution and you'll be okay.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Actually, leaving time on the clock is really only number 3 on the list of microwave pet peeves at work.

Obviously, people who don't cover their food and then leave big messes are the worst. That's a given.

But closer after that is people who put stuff in, start it, then leave. Inevitably, it finishes before they get back and now their cooked food sits in the microwave while other people need to use it. So now you're delaying everyone else's lunch.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Just take it out and set it on the top? :confused:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Master Twig posted:

Actually, leaving time on the clock is really only number 3 on the list of microwave pet peeves at work.

Obviously, people who don't cover their food and then leave big messes are the worst. That's a given.

But closer after that is people who put stuff in, start it, then leave. Inevitably, it finishes before they get back and now their cooked food sits in the microwave while other people need to use it. So now you're delaying everyone else's lunch.

He doesn't do it so much lately but someone here used to be notorious for basically abandoning his lunch in the microwave, because he'd get caught up in a call or something.

And yeah, I at least have no qualms about setting someone's food aside if it's in a stopped microwave. Not quite done yet? Should have been here to check it!

But you're wrong about the worst microwave-related work sin.

Two words. Burned. Popcorn.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Master Twig posted:

Oh no, this person isn't reading my mind and doing exactly what I want them to!!! Better meanmug them when they come back to get their food, that'll show them.

Oh wait, you can solve this problem by moving their food out of the microwave. They know they left it unattended in a public breakroom, I'm pretty sure they can deal with their food being moved out of the microwave.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Eat their food. To the victor go the spoils

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Away from driving and office microwave chat, people who are assholes for no reason other than they want to prove a point.

A friend of mine had an epiphany two years ago and decided he wanted to move to Japan. See, he looooooooves manga and the culture! But he needed a job before he moved. So he hooked up with one of those Teach English in a Foreign Country groups, studied Japanese to the point he could speak it well enough, sold his house and poo poo, and moved over this past summer. His Facebook updates tend to be pages of otaku bullshit, but one stood out: a week after he arrived, he went to the nearest Mcdonalds for some quick food. The cashier was new, so he, this whitest dude to ever leave the trailer park, decided to have fun.

He waited until she went through the spiel of the specials, and poked at things on the menu to let her rattle off in English, and only when she was done did he look her square in the eye and say, in Japanese, "I'm sorry, I don't understand you."

The look on her face, he says, was priceless. The manager was watching and he likely clapped and laughed and comped his meal and all the usual poo poo that people make up, but what the gently caress was the point of that entire thing? To prove to some teenager that not all dumb white people with bad teeth and crewcuts speak English? Just to be an rear end in a top hat?

Halloween peeve. People who decorate the house and leave lit pumpkins out...but the porch light is off and no one is home to pass out candy. What the gently caress do you set everything up for?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If it makes you feel any better, and you probably realize this already, that almost certainly never happened. Even if it did, people should be ashamed, not proud enough to brag, about going to loving mcdonalds in a foreign country.

That is one of my peeves really. I've taken a few american friends to places like zermatt/zurich/whatever and they want to go to mcdonalds because they can't read the menu anywhere else. Trust me, you could just pick a random item on the menu at any other restaurant and it will be better than your 15 dollar big mac. Or just stop being a baby and ask for help with the menu. Unless you're in some remote village of 100 people chances are the waiter speaks some english, enough to get the rough idea of what the food is at least.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

fizzymercy posted:

I'd probably honk, but it would most certainly be aimed at the truck and the rear end in a top hat that stole your shot.
Why? What do you think you're achieving? You're mostly just annoying other people who are in the exact same (already annoying) situation as you as well as anyone else who happens to be nearby. And it does nothing to solve the problem or prevent it from happening again. You're just being an arsehole.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Peoples' behavior with food/drinking in general in an office setting is just bizarre to me sometimes. In the real non-work world I usually never encounter such weird habits. You don't leave leftovers in your own refrigerator for months and let it become a mold colony at home, why do you do it at work?
Because it's somebody else's problem. If you leave food to go mouldy in your own fridge, you have to clean up mouldy food. If you leave it in the work fridge, somebody else will probably do it. You can solve the issue by just making it someone's job to empty the fridge regularly. And if that person asks people not to leave stuff in there, they mostly won't, because when you know it's a specific person doing it you don't want to make extra work for them, whereas if it's just "someone" then you don't feel bad about it.

docbeard posted:

But you're wrong about the worst microwave-related work sin.

Two words. Burned. Popcorn.
I've never understood why you'd want popcorn at work anyway. Are you watching a movie?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It's a quick easy salty snack. There's no popcorn law that says it can only be consumed while watching a movie.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, it's quick, easy and cheap. And if you leave it in the microwave too long, an effective chemical weapon.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

docbeard posted:

Yeah, it's quick, easy and cheap. And if you leave it in the microwave too long, an effective chemical weapon.

How about people who use the shared microwave to heat up fish?

Our shared fridge at the office stank up the place so bad that just walking into our little kitchenette made me wretch. Someone had left a styrofoam container full of mushrooms (?) to mould and fester, and also there was a bunch of spoiled milk spilled in the bottom. I think the poor admin lady was the one who finally cleaned it out. People are disgusting animals.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
People who bring badly/not even remotely trained "emotional support animals" everywhere.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Bamabalacha posted:

People who bring badly/not even remotely trained "emotional support animals" everywhere.

This annoys me too. Seeing eye dogs and dogs specially trained to help people with seizures etc are undeniably vital to people with those conditions. Labeling your favorite pet as your "therapy dog" because they make you feel better is cheapening what people with real problems go through. I love my pets too and I feel better around them but I don't need them to go out to dinner and neither do you.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

genetic_knockout posted:

How about people who use the shared microwave to heat up fish?

Our shared fridge at the office stank up the place so bad that just walking into our little kitchenette made me wretch. Someone had left a styrofoam container full of mushrooms (?) to mould and fester, and also there was a bunch of spoiled milk spilled in the bottom. I think the poor admin lady was the one who finally cleaned it out. People are disgusting animals.

Even better when someone complains about nasty moldy food in the fridge...and you find out the person complaining is the one who left it there :doh: happened at my last job, people kept commenting about a rotten salad sitting in tupperware and nobody took responsibility. It wasn't until someone else in the office noticed someone had a piece of tupperware exactly like the one with the rotten salad, and found out the person knew about it but didn't want to clean it. The whole container got trashed and the office started a routine of emptying the fridge every Friday, whatever wasn't claimed was tossed. We had a LOT less rotten food in the fridge after that...

genetic_knockout posted:

See where I live, people usually don't honk very much, but I also have occasionally been on the receiving end of unwarranted honks.

Yeah, this is the worst around here, people won't use the horn at all so it leads to a lot of stupid delays or accidents. There'll be a line of traffic at a green light with some bonehead texting, but instead of someone beeping to wake them up, they just...sit there. And wait. And wait longer. Then the light goes yellow, bonehead and one car behind them finally go, and the line grows ever longer. Quit being pussies and use your loving horn, it's there for a reason and especially useful for waking up the assholes texting/talking while they drive.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Nov 1, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

Everyone complaining about being sick. Why didn't you get a flu shot you stupid stupid stupid stupid stupids. I've been around 50+ of you, closeley, and hundreds of you on public transport, and haven't gotten a sniffle. you are so dumb and I hate you

Chances are most of those people are just suffering from bad allergies due to the weather changing. People with the flu aren't generally going to be up and about (I'm sure there are examples, but certainly not the majority of people sniffling on public transit or whatever).

edit: I say this as someone who sometimes gets gently caress-off allergies that can't be fully alleviated by medicine and force me to constantly get drainage and occasionally make "nose sounds." It is embarrassing so I avoid people if possible when I need to snort or something, but that isn't an option in some circumstances.

WampaLord posted:

They think it will get them laid, so yes, they do think they live in a porn movie.

I think that many terrible attitudes about women/dating stem from this default assumption that women are attracted to you. The fact that stuff like men kissing women without consent happens all the time in movies/television certainly doesn't help this. So you end up with a bunch of guys who think it's just obvious that a girl is interested in them, because they're looking at everything through that lens of life being like a romcom or something (and if someone tells them otherwise, they'll just disregard them because, to them, it's "common sense").

edit2: Oh, one pet peeve unrelated to the other stuff in this post - radio programs that play a car honk noise. That poo poo drives me crazy; do they not realize people are listening to this stuff in their cars? I always look around confused trying to figure out if someone is honking at me.

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Nov 1, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

When I look up instructions on the internet on how to do some simple task and the only hits are videos. The videos are often entirely text anyway.

areyoucontagious posted:

Over-sharing co-workers. Listen, lady, I don't want to be an rear end but you're forcing me there: I don't want to hear your litany of health problems, stories about how hosed up your children and grandchildren are, or anything related to anything about your Dumpster Fire of a life. If I wasn't pinned next to you in this training if have bailed 5 minutes in.

There were a few months where I sat next to a woman at work who would spend hours a day talking about her 15 year old son's sex life. It was not a particularly remarkable sex life; he had a girlfriend and they were totally doing it. She was pretty fixated on it though. What the the hell people.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Ytlaya posted:

edit2: Oh, one pet peeve unrelated to the other stuff in this post - radio programs that play a car honk noise. That poo poo drives me crazy; do they not realize people are listening to this stuff in their cars? I always look around confused trying to figure out if someone is honking at me.

This but with sirens. I go nuts for a second checking all my mirrors and looking around trying to find the ambulance or police car. Then I realize it's Fred Fuckface's Used Car Emporium alerting me to his emergency blow-out sale or something.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

yo rear end is grass posted:

-People who can't enjoy a movie or show because there is an actor in it who was also in something else they've seen.
Example: The girl I went to see the first Paul Blart movie with liked King of Queens, and she would repeatedly say "I just can't take him seriously!" Bitch, you're not supposed to take him seriously, it's a comedy.

Pet peeve: Anybody who points out that Adam Sandler made two good movies twenty goddamn years ago when talking about said actor and how loving awful his movies are. It's bullshit that careers get defined by one or two good moments, despite leaving behind a mountain of poo poo. Pointing out Adam Sandler made two good movies is like saying Hitler outlawed animal cruelty.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

People with the flu aren't generally going to be up and about (I'm sure there are examples, but certainly not the majority of people sniffling on public transit or whatever).

There are lots of things that can cause sniffles, but there's also a wide range of reactions to the flu. You can feel perfectly fine. You can have what just seems to be a cold. Or it can be completely debilitating.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FELD1 posted:

This but with sirens. I go nuts for a second checking all my mirrors and looking around trying to find the ambulance or police car. Then I realize it's Fred Fuckface's Used Car Emporium alerting me to his emergency blow-out sale or something.

This poo poo should honestly be illegal.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

How are you so sure they're not doing it at home, too? People are lazy and disgusting.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

going through the effort of making sure I call my husband's doctor's office a week before he runs out of medication to get a refill, calling during not-lunch-time so I don't waste their time, and having all the information memorized, and they still won't loving send the prescription over to the pharmacy in a timely manner.

the past few months, they just... won't do it unless I call them 3 or 4 times. and they'll take my information, say 'I'll call you back', and then never call me back. so I have to call them back and explain it again to the same 3 people who work there.

he's on a medication for narcolepsy and it needs to be approved by his doctor and I think his insurance or something before they send it to the pharmacy. if there's a problem with that, I understand, but they never tell me anything! they never call me to tell me there's an issue, they never call me back when they say they will, and I'm tired of dealing with it after 6 loving months.

so now he's down to his last few pills and I still haven't heard anything. they told me earlier that they'd call back today. they've been closed for a couple of hours now.

tomorrow I think I'll try to call someone higher up at the hospital complex that his doctor is in, but I don't know what to do. I'm really mad. I don't yell or get rude over the phone and I'm really not assertive at all so I'm just pissed off in private and I hate it.

e: would it be too much to ask for a referral to a different loving sleep specialist that's closer to us and takes his insurance?

snoo has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Nov 2, 2016

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Snoo posted:

e: would it be too much to ask for a referral to a different loving sleep specialist that's closer to us and takes his insurance?

gently caress no, this is exactly what you should do. And maybe look at a different pharmacy too, if that's practical. Mine handles all those stupid hoops for refills (though they're based out of the same clinic as my doctor, a clinic owned by my insurance company, and that probably makes a difference).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tiggum posted:

There are lots of things that can cause sniffles, but there's also a wide range of reactions to the flu. You can feel perfectly fine. You can have what just seems to be a cold. Or it can be completely debilitating.

Okay, but that doesn't change the fact that "all these people are sniffling because they didn't get their flu shots" is a dumb thing to think.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I was specifically talking about the ones that are like :qq: I can't move out of bed and my whole body aches and I threw up :qq:

I used to think flu shots were stupid until I actually GOT the flu and now I'm first in line ever year. Why would you want to torture yourself? It's covered by most insurances and if not it's like $15/$20 with a gift card or other bonus.

I can't remember if I already said it but I also agree with the goon that said we need more education/signs that say "you should get a flu shot it is good for everyone including YOU!" Because that would prob help.

docbeard posted:

gently caress no, this is exactly what you should do. And maybe look at a different pharmacy too, if that's practical. Mine handles all those stupid hoops for refills (though they're based out of the same clinic as my doctor, a clinic owned by my insurance company, and that probably makes a difference).

My CVS is on top of calling doctors to get refills so yeah maybe pharmacy change will help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Okay, but that doesn't change the fact that "all these people are sniffling because they didn't get their flu shots" is a dumb thing to think.

Sure, but the bit of your post that I quoted and was specifically responding to said "people with the flu aren't generally going to be up and about" which is a common misconception.