Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is Russian's military even a threat to the U.S. sans nuclear weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I have a question. Have any studies shown that the advent of DVR's has made an impact on the effectiveness of tv ads in political races? I have no idea what the uptake is on DVR's and even the usage rate of them. I've had one since 2010 and I just take it for granted that I can skip ads now, but my parents recently got one and don't even use it, so I'm not sure how you measure usage rates.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah, poorly. While their military rusts and their economy collapses.

Exactly. They've given us cause and now is a great time to do it

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Covok posted:

No, though that's a bit of 'That aside, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?'

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bip Roberts posted:

Hmm yeah good thing we're voting to go to war with Russia.

Mulva posted:

We aren't going to go with war with Russia. We are going to put the screws to them diplomatically and economically. It's far more effective, and there's sweet gently caress all they can do about it.

I'm responding to people who said we should go to war with Russia. Read, please. The Russian government will have enough on its plate when Hillary buries them in sanctions.

Peechka posted:

Im insane? Yorue voting for the most corrupt, most vile, worst lying sociopath to ever run for president. The one that's threatening war with Russia? hosed up Lybia, hosed up Iraq, hosed up Syria, And now Obama is bombing and supplying munitions to Saudis to bomb Yemen, And Im insane?

I thought you libs were anti war? WTF happened?

You're gonna be real disappointed in a week.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Peechka posted:

Im insane? Yorue voting for the most corrupt, most vile, worst lying sociopath to ever run for president. The one that's threatening war with Russia? hosed up Lybia, hosed up Iraq, hosed up Syria, And now Obama is bombing and supplying munitions to Saudis to bomb Yemen, And Im insane?

Look at you guys embracing the Russian lies hook line and sinker. As if it were 1965.

Please be less coherent in your argument

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Peechka posted:

Trump wants to bomb the families of suspected terrorists and questioned why we don't use nukes in Syria. Hillary does not want to go to war Russia. Trump is not the anti-war candidate.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Oligarchs should have no means of moving their money.
The entire population of Russia are oligarchs?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Good plan. Russian dissenters should have no means to contact anyone, such as human rights organizations. That way they can't threaten Superman's Pal Vladdy Putin.
This.

Christ. Cutting of Russian's internet access is idiotic and borders on the fascist.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It could also, like Sam Wang has argued, be a sign of a relatively stable election. IF the swings are all still strongly correlated to a medium it may just be statistical noise obfuscating an obvious outcome
What?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm responding to people who said we should go to war with Russia. Read, please. The Russian government will have enough on its plate when Hillary buries them in sanctions.

Who wants to go to war with Russia?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Covok posted:

No. Not even in a dick waving nationalistic sense we're literally just that powerful.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Exactly. They've given us cause and now is a great time to do it

Anybody who actually wants a war with Russia is a sociopath. We don't need to declare war on them to strike back for election interference.

quote:

Who wants to go to war with Russia?

It's almost like I quoted them or something.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Covok posted:

I bet hitler was asking the same question before his eastern forces got their asses handed to them.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Peechka posted:

Look at you guys embracing the Russian lies hook line and sinker. As if it were 1965.

I am unironically pro-war with russia

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Tricky D posted:

I'd like to point out that with NC and VA seemingly in the bag for Hillary, FL going red will not do much to sink her campaign.

Part of the issue in Florida is counties are able to limit early voting days. For example in my county, Pasco, early voting didn't start until the 29th so a full five after a lot of the state.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Same, at least in Syria. Bullies don't understand anything but getting hit in the nose.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

FactsAreUseless posted:

The entire population of Russia are oligarchs?

The Oligarchs own everything in Russia and Putin uses them to shift assets all over the place. If you don't play nice you'll end up like Mikhail Khodorkovsky.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Peechka posted:

Nice meltdown.

E: Holy poo poo what an av I've been gifted.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Guy Goodbody posted:

You're an idiot. A crazy, crazy idiot.

Reality check: The Russian Federation still possesses nuclear weapons and the conventional force to make the EU have a real bad day. The last thing the world needs is a loving ground war in Eastern Europe. You're mad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Agrajag posted:

The Oligarchs own everything in Russia.
And the solution to that is to prevent Russian citizens from having contact with the outside world?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Still, NC is in the bag at the moment and without NC, Trump basically has no plausible path. We're going to win, just a matter of how much.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Covok posted:

They can threaten enough to cause casualties, never win, and NATO would crush them during the counter invasion and russia would no longer exist as we knew it. Nuclear is the only option Russia has besides losing.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Peechka posted:

I bet hitler was asking the same question before his eastern forces got their asses handed to them.

this is the most historically illiterate thing I've read in quite some time, thanks.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Pakled posted:

So it's comparing one week of early voting to the whole early voting season four years ago? :v:

As far as I can tell it's a summary of all 2016 early voting in Florida up till now.

Granted as other posters say it's possible there's other factors at work that are inhibiting the black vote, but either way it seems like they got only this last week to catch up to 2012 numbers, whereas everybody else seems to be on track to readily beat their 2012 numbers in the next couple of days.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

You're an idiot. A crazy, crazy idiot.

Reality check: The Russian Federation still possesses nuclear weapons and the conventional force to make the EU have a real bad day. The last thing the world needs is a loving ground war in Eastern Europe. You're mad.

I never said it would be fun. But when a country threatens our sovereignty, they don't get to keep theirs

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Agrajag posted:

i 100% guarantee that Putin will not devote any effort into accomplishing anything of the kind

Probably not, but annoying the UK and the USA together would amuse him. Russia is already devoting considerable resources to hacking and propaganda directed at the West.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Obviously, preventing Trump from winning the Presidency generally also prevents the Republicans from passing legislature and confirming SCOTUS judges that willfully turn this country into a third-world cesspool. That's a good thing. But it's not good enough, in my opinion.

I don't think any of the Democrats in here should be happy unless the Democrats also take the Senate. The past 6 years with Obama and a Republican-controlled Congress have led to the least productive legislature ever and nothing but stagnation and political games. The Republicans have also made clear their intent to stall the SCOTUS nominations throughout her entire Presidency, on more than one occasion, so I doubt it's just words. If we want anything done, let alone anything good done, we need to have the Senate as well, or it will just be the last 6 years all over again.

The Democrats are going to get clobbered in 2018 in the Senate and House races, so really, the next 2 years in the Senate is their only chance for a while.

And I know people say "most people don't agree with the Republicans stalling the SCOTUS nominations, so there will be consequences if they do that any longer." I completely disagree, as they've been doing it for 7 months now and people don't really seem to be punishing them much if they're still likely to prevent the Democrats from winning a Senate majority.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Fangz posted:

Like I said earlier, my conclusion on Assange is that he's mostly an useful idiot to the Russians. I think it's the Gamergate/Anti-feminism angle that is the original connection.

I am really going to need you to explain, right now, in full explicit detail, how the collusion between the Russian government and Wikileaks was caused by gamergate.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

FactsAreUseless posted:

And the solution to that is to prevent Russian citizens from having contact with the outside world?

Crowsbeak posted:

Oligarchs should have no means of moving their money.

I thought this is about blocking the oligarchs from moving their assets outside of Russia?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tom Guycot posted:

Holy poo poo, was Tashan Dorrsett former insane poster Tweak all this time? That would explain so much...

More, it looks like I got off a believable "I'm male, married, and bisexual" all of which is a barefaced lie

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

I never said it would be fun. But when a country threatens our sovereignty, they don't get to keep theirs
We've found him... the dumbest man alive! The legends were true, it's Jumpin' Jingo Jones the big stupid loving idiot! Huzzah for today!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Guy Goodbody posted:

You are bafflingly historically illiterate.

Also:

M_Gargantua posted:

They can threaten enough to cause casualties, never win, and NATO would crush them during the counter invasion and russia would no longer exist as we knew it. Nuclear is the only option Russia has besides losing.

This. There's no scenario where a ground war against the Russian Federation doesn't go nuclear. We should not go to war with Russia Jesus Christ.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Peechka posted:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm going to be happy even if we lose the senate just because we didn't elect an honest to god Fascist. Like, I obviously really, really want us to win the senate too.

But I will take basically any outcome without Trump without going insane, even as we get to watch the legacy of 2010 grind our system of governance to dust.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Agrajag posted:

I thought this is about blocking the oligarchs from moving their assets outside of Russia?
It was not. The proposal was to block all Russian IPs from accessing Western sites.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BarbarianElephant posted:

Probably not, but annoying the UK and the USA together would amuse him. Russia is already devoting considerable resources to hacking and propaganda directed at the West.

that is relatively low cost, low risk, and high payoff.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why? What have the russians done aside hillarys blatant lies that hes somehow haxxoring the election? Because they took back crimean peninsula once US sank its dirty hands in there and hosed that one up as well?

Tell me whose got the 150+ military bases around the world? who has caused irreparable damage in the middle east, including Russian ally Syria? US or Russia? Now who is threatening whom?

Wake the gently caress up.

Now back to your commie circlejerk. Maybe you guys will get free college and free healthcare and free money too. Roffles.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If someone is proposing banking sanctions or whatever, fine, I have no opinion on that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Peechka posted:

Im insane? Yorue voting for the most corrupt, most vile, worst lying sociopath to ever run for president.

We're not voting for Trump though?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

FactsAreUseless posted:

It was not. The proposal was to block all Russian IPs from accessing Western sites.

Oh, well that's stupid and wouldn't work any way.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Not sure about the exact statistical terminology but if you look at the frequent swings between Clinton and Trump since June you will see that throughout the whole thing the median has been more or less stable.

Like, look at this chart

If you notice the bumps for Clinton and Trump more or less have a median consistent with where the election was months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

We've found him... the dumbest man alive! The legends were true, it's Jumpin' Jingo Jones the big stupid loving idiot! Huzzah for today!

• Locked thread