Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

Those commentators and analysts are worked to death, so after a massive gong show like Sao Paulo on top of everything else I can't exactly blame the dude.

No poo poo. The 10+ hours they loving sit up there to bullshit about games and all of the loving travel they do. I know sadokist was mentioning that he had arrived at like 3am some place. Had to be up at ~9am to cast poo poo. Worked all day and then had to bounce that night to sleep on a plane to cast again at some other event. It's crazy the time the spend traveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I did that type of work before and it does indeed suck. You have to keep the same energy all the time. I was a DJ so I'd do remotes and poo poo. Like on location or whatever. Wake up an hour before the show if it was in a hotel lobby, earlier if we had to drive. Do the show for hours with no real break because radio shows like this are designed to be less music, more interaction and the same fuckin energy.

Not to mention you have to find ways to interest the audience talking about the same loving things over and over. Which is more interesting? "Coming up next, this band won best new band and worst new band in the same competition. You'll find out who after the break." Or "You know the band, you know the song! Sing a long, its Stone Temple Pilots. The above is true by the way. 1994 Rolling Stones (best = fans, worst = critics)

The pay sucks, you really do have to enjoy what you are doing because pay is super bad. Not to mention there is a very real possibility that the hosts don't like each other. I can't remember how many times I'd get paired with someone I had no energy with and loathed. Like really wanted to put my fist in his dumb mouth. His energy was like he mainlined red bull enemas all day. I couldn't compete, or get a word in edge wise.

So yeah, hats off to the bull and all that. And don't forget, when an announcer does something cringy, we all have done it, they are just more public about it.

Also we have no dignity.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Those commentators and analysts are worked to death, so after a massive gong show like Sao Paulo on top of everything else I can't exactly blame the dude.

Machine was one of the best things esl had going for them, and they worked him to a nub. Their loss.

I'm amazed at how incredibly cheery he managed to be at all times. Really fun to watch with him hosting.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Oh wow the "Machine got fired" meme finally came true (I'm aware he didn't actually get fired)

Yeah, he was loving awesome. Is there anything we can do as fans to make sure we see him more at future events??

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Oh, don't worry. You'll be told what your greatest weaknesses are at this point, but even without watching your demo I'm going to say work on your aim, DM a shitload, then DM some more, watch demos, play comp games, DM some more, work on crosshair placement, then DM some more.

gently caress it, just add me on Steam and I'll whip you into shape. I typically get home around 7PM EST.

Will do! Not sure which nights I'll be free yet.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Oh wow the "Machine got fired" meme finally came true (I'm aware he didn't actually get fired)

Yeah, he was loving awesome. Is there anything we can do as fans to make sure we see him more at future events??

hes probably going to get hired a bunch because he's the best at hosting, don't worry

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Machine was probably underpaid and overworked at ESL, but yeah it'd be nice to see him at MLG events in the near future ;)

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
He's just going full freelance to 1) increase his pay grade 2) choose what events to actually attend. It's not like there's a lot of competent competition on the desk host front.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Well there's always Richard "The Strangler" Lewis

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

So I missed the C9/SK game yesterday. Just watched it.

:vince:

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

fennesz posted:

So I missed the C9/SK game yesterday. Just watched it.

:vince:

It was very good except for the last map

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I was absolutely floored just how one sided map 3 was. SK looked extremely tilted.

The only two rounds they won first half were huge clutch plays from cold and Fallen too. Scary stuff for sure.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

fennesz posted:

I was absolutely floored just how one sided map 3 was. SK looked extremely tilted.

The only two rounds they won first half were huge clutch plays from cold and Fallen too. Scary stuff for sure.

I ain't scared and i welcome c9's domination, up until they fail to qualify for the major again

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

What's up with the minimap? Sometimes you clearly spot someone for a full second and they don't show up on minimap, other times you barely get a glimpse of someone you don't even notice behind a bunch of cover and smoke, and they do show up :psyduck:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Elman posted:

What's up with the minimap? Sometimes you clearly spot someone for a full second and they don't show up on minimap, other times you barely get a glimpse of someone you don't even notice behind a bunch of cover and smoke, and they do show up :psyduck:

Pretty sure it's always been garbage. Fortunately, you don't need to look at your minimap if you can see an enemy so it doesn't matter.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Minimap is important but you shouldn't be focusing on it.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

If you buy a Zeus and a kit, it acts as a radar jammer that makes you not show up as easily

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What the goddamn poo poo is this "temporary cooldown" from competitive mode why am I being punished for winning video games

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

drunken officeparty posted:

What the goddamn poo poo is this "temporary cooldown" from competitive mode why am I being punished for winning video games

Sounds like something a smurf would say. Get in smurf jail until you've served your time.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Jeza posted:

Pretty sure it's always been garbage. Fortunately, you don't need to look at your minimap if you can see an enemy so it doesn't matter.

Minimap is super useful for playing MM when your teammates don't bother making callouts when they see someone. Which is frequent at GN3.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

Sounds like something a smurf would say. Get in smurf jail until you've served your time.

I haven't even played csgo since it came out in 1776 and I just wanted to shoot some dudes but apparently Gabe thinks otherwise

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

You can always facetime demo and 1v1 rock paper scissors from smurf jail

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Crimson posted:

Minimap is super useful for playing MM when your teammates don't bother making callouts when they see someone. Which is frequent at GN3.

Oh yeah, the map is super useful. What I mean is that it's recognition when you're looking at someone has always been bizarrely irregular, but that shouldn't matter because you're looking at them already, so you don't need a map to find that out.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Go play casual or some other game mode, or play on a community server or on esea/CEVO/faceit.

You are not being punished for winning, you are running into a measure put into place to prevent the rampant abuse of the official valve ranked matchmaking system by people who buy multiple accounts to stomp on lower ranked players rather than face a challenge.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Jeza posted:

Oh yeah, the map is super useful. What I mean is that it's recognition when you're looking at someone has always been bizarrely irregular, but that shouldn't matter because you're looking at them already, so you don't need a map to find that out.

Well, the issue I think he's bringing up is "I/teammate see enemy, but it does not show on minimap so team does not know" which is a valid concern when people don't have mics etc.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

MF_James posted:

Well, the issue I think he's bringing up is "I/teammate see enemy, but it does not show on minimap so team does not know" which is a valid concern when people don't have mics etc.

Pretty sure they always appear on the map, just not immediately as you see them. And only sometimes. But maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

surc posted:

Go play casual or some other game mode, or play on a community server or on esea/CEVO/faceit.

You are not being punished for winning, you are running into a measure put into place to prevent the rampant abuse of the official valve ranked matchmaking system by people who buy multiple accounts to stomp on lower ranked players rather than face a challenge.

That is the Dumbest Thing I've Ever Heard

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

https://gfycat.com/FancyMindlessHyena

:geno:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

You never saw what low ranked games were like before they implemented it. Every second game had 1-2 guys straight destroying the newbies because they kept putting csgo on sale for five euros. The gap between an experienced half decent players and new/bad players is utterly gigantic and when a game takes 30-45 minutes to play out on average you can make people absolutely miserable. While smurfing still happens, I have 2 fun accounts, its nothing like the plague it was back in the day.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Goofballs posted:

You never saw what low ranked games were like before they implemented it. Every second game had 1-2 guys straight destroying the newbies because they kept putting csgo on sale for five euros. The gap between an experienced half decent players and new/bad players is utterly gigantic and when a game takes 30-45 minutes to play out on average you can make people absolutely miserable. While smurfing still happens, I have 2 fun accounts, its nothing like the plague it was back in the day.
It helped, but games were still lovely far too often.

Prime is really the best thing they've done so far.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I was super skeptical of prime at first but it's really lowered the amount of smurfs I encounter on a regular basis. That said I can't imagine what grinding those non-prime games is like for new players now that all the smurfs are condensed in there.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Their poorly thought out anti-smurfing system is humorous because when I play on my silver 1 alt with lower ranked friends, almost every game single game we queue up has 50hrs or less obvious smurfs. So in the end, the ranks don't matter, it always comes down to a couple people wiping out each others teams and then dueling.

I've realized now that because of this, there's no point in having a smurf. Your friends won't get easier games if you're on a lower ranked account.

It sucks but that's how it works when you make a competitive video game with ranks. It'll never change unless you get super intrusive and link it to mac addresses or something. Phone numbers? lol get real

surc
Aug 17, 2004

That is the Dumbest Thing I've Ever Heard

The Venn diagram of people who bitch about this, and people who the CS community is probably better off without, looks surprisingly like a single circle.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Goofballs posted:

I play a lot of Dota which doesn't even have the $5 barrier to making a new account and yeah people smurf but like it's not that huge of an issue? The detection algorithm there is super good and if you dominate on an account it will (invisibily) detect you within 2-5 games. Maybe the CSGO people should wheel their wheelie desks over and ask for help.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I play a lot of Dota which doesn't even have the $5 barrier to making a new account and yeah people smurf but like it's not that huge of an issue? The detection algorithm there is super good and if you dominate on an account it will (invisibily) detect you within 2-5 games. Maybe the CSGO people should wheel their wheelie desks over and ask for help.

Highlighted the important part.

They profit from both smurfs and cheaters, so they're not their top priority. There's a reason CSGO is one of the top sellers every Steam sale.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I've got 3 smurfs in the low ranks for when I'm either tired, drunk, or lower level friends, but I'm not going to get any more of them. I barely have enough time to play on my main these days.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I've got 3 smurfs in the low ranks for when I'm either tired, drunk, or lower level friends, but I'm not going to get any more of them. I barely have enough time to play on my main these days.

Same

Main for when I'm tired, secondary for when I'm drunk, smurf for my friends

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Doota takes way fewer hours to become competent at, so smurfs don't matter as much as in CS. When it takes ~500 hours to be even somewhat competent at CS, someone just starting the game will be absolutely schooled by a veteran and have no fun.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 1, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

Doota takes way fewer hours to become competent at, so smurfs don't matter as much as in CS.

Not really. If you're smurfing you can basically solo every match with any hero no problem through sheer farming efficiency. Nevermind what happens if you pick a real 1vs9 hero like Zeus or Slark.

Yeah execution is harder in CS but smurfs are huge in Dota too. It's just that smurfing in Dota is a major pain, unlike CS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I guess if there is that pve component to it people are less miserable because at least they can kill the mobs if not other players. CS if you're getting destroyed its just get instantly headshot and sit there waiting till you get instantly headshot again again. Probably while blind with some raging dipshit roaring angry rhetorical questions in your ear.