Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

emdash posted:

if rally size mattered, Sanders would have beat Clinton i think :shobon:

Yeah it was definitely strange how that happened. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I really can't fathom how a democrat could not be excited to have the first woman president, especially one as competent as Clinton.

Actually I can but it's just so dumb, jeez.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Polling indicates that there are more 'begrudging Trump voters' than there are for Hillary. Trump's base is energized but the rest of the party is certainly not.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

smug n stuff posted:

I really can't fathom how a democrat could not be excited to have the first woman president, especially one as competent as Clinton.

Actually I can but it's just so dumb, jeez.
Many of them are, but of course, we can't admit THAT, not when there's emails and "shadiness" to discuss

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what's your permabanned username

Um...Not to defend spacetoaster's trolling here. But he's speaking about Star Citizen. Really completely different clusterfuck.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nessus posted:

Because a rally doesn't necessarily target votes. Trump can do all the WWE road show touring he wants - and indeed I am sure that if he's hitting the same place, he'll get the same audience. But in fact, WWE usually fills stadiums to the same extent that the Donald seems to be doing, and yet wrestling remains a dumbass muscleman sideshow which does not dominate the media.

Hillary also tends to hold a lot of small, relatively narrow-cast events which aim at particular groups, and are apparently effective, if with less of a Hitlerian air

So are all you really saying that people are energized to go out and vote for hillary? Because that's what I asked about.

But please continue to analyze a couple of pics I grabbed off of gis.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what's your permabanned username

Same name I have on this website. Why?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Trump gets more people at his rallies. It is what it is.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

Wisconsin is projected to grow in population. Minnesota is also projected to grow, but not as much.

Wyoming rule is dumb, but we should expand the house.

Its dumb, but its less dumb then not expanding the house. Seriously are their any good resources for why we haven't, because we have over three times what the population was in 1020 and we have same number of reps now as we did then? Also Wisconsin and my state seem to have been having the same population growth.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

So are all you really saying that people are energized to go out and vote for hillary? Because that's what I asked about.
I think a lot of people are, yeah.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Boy howdy is next Tuesday gonna surprise you.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Why should the media choose between a landslide narrative and a horserace narrative when they can have both?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
It's also worth noting that the Hillary camp is throwing some huge GOTV concerts/rallies in swing states this week. I imagine the crowds at those will be at least Trump rally sized

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 1, 2016

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
We should just decide elections purely on rally size. Get as many people in your rallies as possible, safety regulations be damned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

You're the one who used those pictures as proof. You don't get to suddenly go "N-no, I didn't mean it!"

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

spacetoaster posted:

Same name I have on this website. Why?

If we are posting anecdotes then yes, I can confirm from my from my group of friends, that democrats are energized to vote for Hillary. It has a lot more truth to it than the whole rally from January photo.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I'm guessing this is in some of the posts I couldn't get to fast enough, but holy poo poo this past weekend's This American Life is vicious, scary, and awesome.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Donkwich posted:

We should just decide elections purely on rally size. Get as many people in your rallies as possible, safety regulations be damned.

That plus number of twitter followers, I think.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
The thing about enthusiasm is that a grudgingly cast vote counts the same as a triumphantly cast one.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Donkwich posted:

Trump argued this BTW, and I'm quite sure that we can expect to hear a lot about his big, huge, girthy rallies during his litigation of the result of the election. Does anyone have any guess on how many Very Serious Articles we'll get on how Clinton should concede to Trump, 2 months later, for the Good of the Nation?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Trump gets more people at his rallies. It is what it is.

You mean aside from the ones where she does, in fact, get large numbers? Michelle Obama's rally got 11,000 people for example and Trump inflates his.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/10/29/yes-donald-trumps-crowds-are-big-but-not-quite-as-yuge-as-he-often-claims/

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

Its dumb, but its less dumb then not expanding the house. Seriously are their any good resources for why we haven't, because we have over three times what the population was in 1020 and we have same number of reps now as we did then? Also Wisconsin and my state seem to have been having the same population growth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reapportionment_Act_of_1929

quote:

Then, in 1920, the Republicans removed the Democrats from power as the Whigs had done in 1838, taking the presidency and both houses of Congress. Due to increased immigration and a large rural-to-urban shift in population from 1910 to 1920, the new Republican Congress refused to reapportion the House of Representatives with the traditional contiguous, single-member districts stipulations because such a reapportionment would have redistricted many House members out of their districts.[7][8] A reapportionment in 1921 in the traditional fashion would have increased the size of the House to 483 seats, but many members would have lost their seats due to the population shifts, and the House chamber did not have adequate seats for 483 members. The Reapportionment act of 1929 did away with any mention of districts at all. This provided a solution to the problem of threatened incumbents by allowing the political parties in control of the state legislatures to draw districting lines at will and to elect some or all representatives at large.

It was because of immigrants. Ah, some things never change.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Drunk Theory posted:

Um...Not to defend spacetoaster's trolling here. But he's speaking about Star Citizen. Really completely different clusterfuck.

oh

hahahaha

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BarbarianElephant posted:

True, he could have been "Johnson, but not an idiot." He couldn't win.

Hillary *does* appeal to moderate Democrats, that's her whole "thing." She doesn't appeal to left-wing Democrats who liked Bernie.

She does appeal to left-wing democrats who liked Bernie. She does not appeal to people completely new to politics who got involved in the process through Bernie, and were never Democrats.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nessus posted:

I think a lot of people are, yeah.

Every dem I know was a Bernie supporter and they are the opposite of energized about this election. And it's them that keep posting about random 3rd party candidates I've never heard of on FB all the time too.

ImpAtom posted:

You're the one who used those pictures as proof. You don't get to suddenly go "N-no, I didn't mean it!"

Yeah, I guess I did.

Here, let's make up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hasn't almost every poll shown that Clinton has 90% of the Democrat support? Where is the 'she doesn't appeal to (x)" coming from. She is winning every demographic that isn't white men.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Peechka posted:

Im insane? Yorue voting for the most corrupt, most vile, worst lying sociopath to ever run for president. The one that's threatening war with Russia? hosed up Lybia, hosed up Iraq, hosed up Syria, And now Obama is bombing and supplying munitions to Saudis to bomb Yemen, And Im insane?

I thought you libs were anti war? WTF happened?

Look at you guys embracing the Russian lies hook line and sinker. As if it were 1965.

I can't read this kind of stuff with a straight face anymore.

You've been mind controlled, dude.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

woke wedding drone posted:

She does appeal to left-wing democrats who liked Bernie. She does not appeal to people completely new to politics who got involved in the process through Bernie, and were never Democrats.

The biggest sign of this was the people crying about closed primaries, as though they had never registered as Democrats before.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Hasn't almost every poll shown that Clinton has 90% of the Democrat support? Where is the 'she doesn't appeal to (x)" coming from. She is winning every demographic that isn't white men.

Unfortunately, a lot of people still seem to think that only white men matter

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Did you get a little excited there for a minute?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ImpAtom posted:

when you think white men represent the country

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Every dem I know was a Bernie supporter and they are the opposite of energized about this election. And it's them that keep posting about random 3rd party candidates I've never heard of on FB all the time too.
Are you sure it's even actually "all of them," and not a couple of guys who post a lot, and a few other people who reply to OTHER bernie-or-busters and thus fill up your feed? Because it's the damnedest thing, I see a lot more "people I know yelling at Trump meme posters" myself, and yet I always see the trump meme at the top, and have to scroll down to find my buddy's remark. Sometimes I can't even chime in myself, but I always see the big Trump picture at the top.

But that's probably just correcting for bias, like when Breitbart got them to change their headlines window.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Potato Salad posted:

I can't read this kind of stuff with a straight face anymore.

You've been mind controlled, dude.

brainwashed

to kill the president!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

computer parts posted:

The biggest sign of this was the people crying about closed primaries, as though they had never registered as Democrats before.

or people who were complaining about This Undemocratic Party Preferring Her over a guy who had joined up to run in their primary less than a year before

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mel Mudkiper posted:

brainwashed

to kill the president!

hey i reported him before he edited it i guess the tfr mods are fine w/ secret service visits not in yet

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

If our personal Facebook feeds are indicative of anything, then mine shows that America has zero Trump supporters

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

woke wedding drone posted:

My favorite was HA Goodman... who was heavy into Paul before he went heavy into Sanders.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i am a trump voter and all of my friends and family and everyone i follow on twitter are trump voters.....guess that means trumps gonna win.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nessus posted:

Are you sure it's even actually "all of them," and not a couple of guys who post a lot, and a few other people who reply to OTHER bernie-or-busters and thus fill up your feed? Because it's the damnedest thing, I see a lot more "people I know yelling at Trump meme posters" myself, and yet I always see the trump meme at the top, and have to scroll down to find my buddy's remark. Sometimes I can't even chime in myself, but I always see the big Trump picture at the top.

But that's probably just correcting for bias, like when Breitbart got them to change their headlines window.

Well no, not ALL of them I'm sure.

But my friends list is small and diverse, it's more than a couple.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Donkwich posted:

I agree, but it is logistically difficult. Instead of individual big stadiums that some people would have to travel a long distance to get to, they should have a lot of smaller venues so that nobody is particularly far away from any one of them. And it doesn't make much sense for each candidate to have separate venues, so both sides could have these small rallies in the same place, and rally attendance for each candidate could be determined by, say, each rally attendee writing down the name of the person whose rally they are attending on a piece of paper. And with this system, it wouldn't even be necessary for everyone to be at their rallies simultaneously! They could just briefly attend the rally to fill out the piece of paper to show they attended, or even mail it in or drop it off days in advance.

I think we're on to something here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Holy god, day one of the thread and 1600+ posts. I'll check a few pages but jesus did I miss something new?

• Locked thread