Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
NBA trades involving draft picks are the best:

https://twitter.com/ErikHorneOK/status/793551779065585664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Okay phili answer these grant questions for me please:
Can grant pass well?
Is grant a good decision maker?
Can he finish around the rim?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought this was the good Grant

Yeah he's one of like 5 players I know on Philly cause he's cool but I guess he's solidly behind Covington on the depth chart so they weren't sure what do with him. That and Saric is getting roasted as a PF right now so Ersan gives him help. They might slide Saric to SF at times too if they're going crazy big and running Embiid and Okafor at the same time, which gives less room for Grant maybe? Iunno I'm making poo poo up off the top of my head here.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Metapod posted:

Can grant pass well?

So so.
So so.
Yes.

He'll block a lot of shots and play solid defense. He was an incredible perimeter defender his first year, but he's put on a lot of muscle weight since.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

Can grant pass well?

he protects the rim and dunks 1.27 times per 36.

https://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/

those are his skills.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Metapod posted:

Can grant pass well?

No
No
Yes

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Shedding ersans salary + the trade exception makes me think this is the first domino

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Final question can he catch an oop

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If I was smart, I would have gone to a print shop and got this on a poster to bring to the game tonight:

https://twitter.com/bennettberry/status/792215968177016832

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/rachaelhoops/status/793552960399691777?s=09

I love old tweets

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Spacebump posted:

Whenever this gets posted, someone should always mention this was deep into the smart phone era.

zach randolph gets caught with a trap phone then has to pretend the rest of his life he uses a flip phone as his main

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

Final question can he catch an oop

This is one of the only things he can do.

Fast Luck posted:

But they are cool now. but they're only cool now and they weren't cool back when Stockton wore them. Sorry but that's how it is, because back then people wore them short solely because the Fab Five hadn't invented big shorts yet. Now that big shorts have been invented and mainstreamed, to wear the short shorts is to actively reject the big shorts in favor of confidently showing off your big muscular thighs, which is cool

The Fab Five were in like 1992, and everyone was wearing them by the mid 90s. Stockton was still rocking the short shorts well into the early 00s when it was no longer mainstream. That's why he's the first name anyone brings up when they talk about them; he actively rejected the mainstream trend of baggy shorts.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 1, 2016

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The knee is an ugly joint to look at

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Stockton would also be a better Steph Curry if he played now, I demand he be acknowledged as the brave iconoclast ahead of his time that he was

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/AschNBA/status/793521721231962112

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

How will we know if a unanimous MVP choked or not?

Although Steph Curry being forced to smile and accept the award while Lebron sat in the audience would have been pretty fantastic.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Lockback posted:

Although Steph Curry being forced to smile and accept the award while Lebron sat in the audience with the Larry O'Brien would have been pretty fantastic.

Made it even better for you

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Metapod posted:

Can grant pass well?

You guys got yourselves a version of KJ McDaniels. He throws down some monster dunks and makes some savage blocks which is cool

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

MourningView posted:

Stockton would also be a better Steph Curry if he played now, I demand he be acknowledged as the brave iconoclast ahead of his time that he was

There's no guard currently playing anywhere near as dirty as Stockton. Except maybe CP3.

Delly has the white dude hustle, but I think he's more reckless than anything else. Stockton knew exactly what he was doing with every elbow to your kidneys.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Tacit admission that Dario saric is not ready to play starters minutes

Brett Brown just now said he'd be considering starting Ersan so it definitely looks that way. That didn't last long

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.
Does anyone know what Boban went as for Halloween? Actually, we should really have made an NBA halloween thread.
I guess if this was just a salary dump for OKC it makes sense, but otherwise...?
The S7 Edge is a legitimately good phone and that interview with Adams reiterated his top 5 centre in the leagueness. I would love to have him on my team.

Unrelated, anyone who hates the ESPN box scores, I found this plugin to make them not suck:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/enhanced-espn-nba-box-sco/obmjelnefbpppnlclofadlniafdnhjpc

Smellyhead fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 1, 2016

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I just want to say that Steph Curry definitely had an all time great season last year, right up there with some great seasons from Alex English and Karl Malone and Bernard King

MourningView posted:

John Stockton was a hero to regulation sized white men who love basketball and/but/especially the part where he played hard like he was supposed to for his whole career and never won poo poo and was ultimately defeated by a narcissist preacher out for his own glory

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 1, 2016

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Paulocaust posted:

JV has made Drunmond his bitch every time they faced off. JV just dropped him off for a career high 32 like 6 days ago.

head2head don't matter otherwise we would think Deron is better than Chris Paul

JV could be good someday whereas Drummond is actually good right now

Dexo posted:

Desus and Mero are great. Also they aren't being entirely serious.

Everyone should watch Deus and Mero.

gently caress WIZ KHALIFA *airhorn*

Spite posted:

There's no guard currently playing anywhere near as dirty as Stockton. Except maybe CP3.

Delly has the white dude hustle, but I think he's more reckless than anything else. Stockton knew exactly what he was doing with every elbow to your kidneys.

rip lance

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I don't approve of this. MVPs being announced during the playoffs only to get dominated in a later series by the player they snubbed is a time-honored tradition.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Smellyhead posted:

Does anyone know what Boban went as for Halloween?

A human

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Spite posted:

What are you talking about?! Delly is a straight up nut-puncher.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EvanTH posted:

I just want to say that Steph Curry definitely had an all time great season last year, right up there with some great seasons from Alex English and Karl Malone and Bernard King

John Stockton was a hero to regulation sized white men who love basketball and/but/especially the part where he played hard like he was supposed to for his whole career and never won poo poo and was ultimately defeated by a narcissist preacher out for his own glory

Karl Malone and Alex English were NOT system players. King probably wasn't but I don't know anything about the 80s Knicks.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
MCW out for 4-6 weeks.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought this was the good Grant

He is the good one! But the other is really bad so it doesn't mean much.

Anyhow I like him some and I think he'll be good on OKC

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

MCW out for 4-6 weeks.

ugh how lucky can this stupid bulls squad get

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Gynecolojustice posted:

The knee is an ugly joint to look at

It's kind of like one of those crazy spaghetti freeway junctions in sunny los angeles california

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

ugh how lucky can this stupid bulls squad get

It's absurd

Just a reminder: The Houston - Cleveland game is on right now, instead of the normal 7 pm est or whatever start times

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

EvanTH posted:

He is the good one! But the other is really bad so it doesn't mean much.

Anyhow I like him some and I think he'll be good on OKC

If Evan believes it so do I!!! Let's go grant 👏👏👏

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the 3 alphas' good fortune is a demonstration of the power of confidence and positive thinking

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Super Jay Mann posted:

I don't approve of this. MVPs being announced during the playoffs only to get dominated in a later series by the player they snubbed is a time-honored tradition.

same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4uXlRGAF0

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

SAS should be renamed the Three Alphas BAsketball Discussion Zone the way that insane Minnesota forum that Gendo always posted from was called the Five National Championships Football Discussion something or other

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hinkie would've gotten a real pick. A shameful imitation of The Process.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Cool Buff Man posted:

Taking applications to join my new barbershop quartet "The Juicy Fruits"

I was Harold Hill my senior year, I wish to apply

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bashez posted:

Am I the only one that thinks that the Bulls are going to be okay as long as Wade holds up?

Have there been any big surprises so far? Everything has seemed pretty predictable right down to Derrick Rose giving fans hope he's back before he totally tanks the team.

I have a little faith in the Bulls to improve upon last year. In 43 minutes Bulls new star Isaiah Canaan has reached .4 WS. The same amount that Rose had all of last season.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This is chicken/egg. People would stationary check all the time on the perimeter, but that wasn't something that began at 22'-23'. They let poo poo go everywhere after half court.

You're assuming he'd be allowed to get to that range to the same degree that he is today. He'd still be a great shooter, but that signature super side step move doesn't have the same effectiveness when refs allow a defender's hand to grab/push/guide.

You are mythologizing 1980s defense into something it wasn't. It's reminiscent of 1960s guys belittling Jordan in the 1990s like he wouldn't do well back in the 1960s because they'd injure him and play more physically. Yes, Jordan would've struggled in the era where no guards dunked and the elite guards were dribbling using only their dominant hand. I still remember seeing some of these old curmudgeons come on TV talking about how their era was supreme. Back then Youtube wasn't around so many people fell for it. They called MJ a "hotdog" and threatened physical violence against him! Now in 2016 we have Youtube and we know they were lying.

I've seen plenty of 1980s games and think Curry would be fine. We're talking about an era where the average team attempted two 3P shots per game @ 25%. Early 1980s teams didn't even have a concept of 3P shot defense. I've seen footage of "good shooters" of the time standing at the 3P line and the opposing team is giving them a wide open shot every possession. Humorously, the shooter usually didn't even consider taking the shot. The 3P shot was regarded as a major gamble and a vice/bad habit well into the 1990s unlike today's NBA where it's a virtue and some have carte blanche.

When Reggie Miller and other 3P shooters from the 80s and 90s wanted to shoot them they were able to. In game 1 of the 1992 NBA finals Jordan shot 6/9 from 3 and people thought he was a demigod. Completely pedestrian numbers today for some.

Even in the mid-1990s when great 3P guys were emerging the average transition D was mediocre. Any time Pippen wanted to take a pull up 3 it was there for him. Curry would be feasting on that on a nightly basis. The D has improved significantly in that area in the last twenty years as back then teams were more into getting offensive rebounds.

Here's Rex Chapman in the vaunted handcheck era against the BEST team of the 1990s and #1 DRtg team that season. Launching threes against two of the best perimeter defenders of the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-4xwcxo9gk

A career night for Chapman and a mere glimpse of what Curry would look like frequently in the 1990s. It'd be even more embarrassing if we put Curry back into the early 1980s when the elite scoring PGs/SGs of the time were putting up these intimidating numbers:

code:
Year	Player		Tm	3P	3PA	3P%
1986	Sidney Moncrief	 MIL	33	103	0.32
1986	Magic Johnson	 LAL	10	43	0.233
1986	Rolando Blackman DAL	4	29	0.138
1985	Michael Jordan	 CHI	9	52	0.173
1985	Magic Johnson	 LAL	7	37	0.189
1985	Derek Smith	 LAC	3	19	0.158
1984	Rolando Blackman DAL	1	11	0.091
1984	Andrew Toney	 PHI	12	38	0.316
1984	Sidney Moncrief	 MIL	5	18	0.278
1984	Magic Johnson	 LAL	6	29	0.207
1983	Sidney Moncrief	 MIL	1	10	0.1
1983	Magic Johnson	 LAL	0	21	0
1983	George Gervin	 SAS	12	33	0.364
1983	Jim Paxson	 POR	4	25	0.16
1982	George Gervin	 SAS	10	36	0.278
1982	Sidney Moncrief	 MIL	1	14	0.071
1982	Magic Johnson	 LAL	6	29	0.207
1981	David Thompson	 DEN	10	39	0.256
1981	Otis Birdsong	 KCK	10	35	0.286
1981	Billy Knight	 IND	3	19	0.158
1981	George Gervin	 SAS	9	35	0.257
1980	George Gervin	 SAS	32	102	0.314
1980	Paul Westphal	 PHO	26	93	0.28
1980	Magic Johnson	 LAL	7	31	0.226
1980	Reggie Theus	 CHI	28	105	0.267
1980	James Silas	 SAS	0	4	0

Total			249	1010	0.246

2016	Curry			402	886	0.454
:eyepop:

PS Guards were generally smaller in the 1980s and 1990s as well.

Pro sports evolution and increasing global competition (without NBA team growth) dictates that today's players are assuredly more skilled and competent than those playing 30+ years back. This primacy is another aspect in Curry's favor. Some might think Bird/McHale or Magic/Kareem would be winning titles today but I'm skeptical. Some may also think modern guys are just soft and not fit to play in the 1980s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

EvanTH posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W25t7wXLVfw

"Yeah, you! loving son of a bitch! Chicken poo poo!"

• Locked thread