Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I'm using a late 2013 rMBP for going on three years, can't find a reason to get a new one. Lightroom and PS with ~600MB images is the most work it sees.

I'd buy that instead of this new poo poo in a heartbeat.

Cool. Yeah, I was just looking at 2015s since they're the most recent (not counting these new ones), but I think a 2014 might be more in my budget. From the research I've done, it doesn't seem like there's much major difference between 2015 and 2014 either, but I could be completely wrong because I'm not knee deep in mac stuff like most of you here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That's pretty much the whole "gaming" PC market space .

It's absurdly hard to find a non trash looking laptop with any gaming potential. The one that sorta makes the cut is the dell inspiron gaming, at least it looks like an ugly business laptop, not an ugly gaming laptop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kefkafloyd posted:

Just got a shiny loaded 21 inch 4K iMac at work. My old late 2009 was barely hanging in there. I'm OK with it as anything new would blow my old machine away and I'm not sure when Kaby Lake desktops will be out.

At Best Buy the other day, thought a 21" iMac looked funny. I didn't realize they still made a 1080p iMac, I thought they were all Retina by now :argh: Apple

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I'm using a late 2013 rMBP for going on three years, can't find a reason to get a new one. Lightroom and PS with ~600MB images is the most work it sees.

I'd buy that instead of this new poo poo in a heartbeat.

Post Walt.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mordiceius posted:

Cool. Yeah, I was just looking at 2015s since they're the most recent (not counting these new ones), but I think a 2014 might be more in my budget. From the research I've done, it doesn't seem like there's much major difference between 2015 and 2014 either, but I could be completely wrong because I'm not knee deep in mac stuff like most of you here.

If we're talking about 13" and 15" rMBPs, there's poo poo for difference -except- in SSD speed, GPUs, and video output.

2014s have older Intel Iris iGPUs and nVidia GTX 750 dGPUs (15-inch only), can drive 4K displays at 24/30 Hz over HDMI, 4K displays at 60 Hz over Thunderbolt (only 15-inch with nVidia GT 750)

2015s have faster SSDs than 2014s, newer Iris iGPUs and an AMD R9 M370X dGPU (15-inch only), can drive 4K displays at 30, 60Hz, 5K displays at 60 Hz (only 15-inch with AMD R9 M370X option)

Which one matters to you is a preference of taste, although you'll get CUDA acceleration with the older nVidia dGPU. If you neither know nor care about CUDA, it's a non issue.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 1, 2016

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mordiceius posted:

How are 2014 MBPs? I found someone selling a "2014 2.5Ghz / 16GB / 512GB SSD / GT750M, it is almost brand new with 7 battery cycles and is under the standard one year Applecare warranty until 10/2017 and can be extended to three years"

Would $1300 be an okay deal for this?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Wait why is the touchpad randomly to the right of the whole keyboard? Is there some 'gamer' purpose for this or is it just totally asinine hardware design (like removing the SD card slot on the MacBook Pro)?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

WASD keys and the mouse are the two most important components in gaming. The location of the trackpad definitely makes a lot of sense if you're pwning n00bs instead of writing prose/code. Though who uses a trackpad instead of plugging in a mouse :iiam:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 1, 2016

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

If we're talking about 13" and 15" rMBPs, there's poo poo for difference -except- in SSD speed, GPUs, and video output.

2014s have older Intel Iris iGPUs and nVidia GTX 750 dGPUs (15-inch only), can drive 4K displays at 24/30 Hz over HDMI, 4K displays at 60 Hz over Thunderbolt (only 15-inch with nVidia GT 750)

2015s have faster SSDs than 2014s, newer Iris iGPUs and an AMD R9 M370X dGPU (15-inch only), can drive 4K displays at 30, 60Hz, 5K displays at 60 Hz (only 15-inch with AMD R9 M370X option)

Which one matters to you is a preference of taste, although you'll get CUDA acceleration with the older nVidia dGPU. If you neither know nor care about CUDA, it's a non issue.

Most of that is gibberish to me, so none of it really stands out. I guess I should be good with the 2014.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dangerllama posted:

pwning n00bs
on a trackpad?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Bob Morales posted:

At Best Buy the other day, thought a 21" iMac looked funny. I didn't realize they still made a 1080p iMac, I thought they were all Retina by now :argh: Apple

The 1080 ones are still around to act as cheap macs for schools or other low power situations. They have Macbook Air-level processors so I would avoid them if at all possible.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

Dangerllama posted:

WASD keys and the mouse are the two most important components in gaming. The location of the trackpad definitely makes a lot of sense if you're pwning n00bs instead of writing prose/code. Though who uses a trackpad instead of plugging in a mouse :iiam:

It's a 17" 7.8 lb "desktop replacement." I can understand trying a layout other than keyboard above trackpad, but they also shoved the keyboard over to the left side of the laptop so the keyboard/trackpad combo is taking up the middle third of the vertical space in its half.

Plus nothing says "pro" like customizable light-up keycaps

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
It's all in the center/middle because the entire bottom of the computer is the biggest battery they can legally put into it and the entire top is room for sli 1080 graphic cards.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mordiceius posted:

Would $1300 be an okay deal for this?

I would have a hard time going over 1100

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Secure my Digital? :confused:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

this new macbook and that razer are at the exact opposite extremes of what i want in my laptop. the macbook took too much out and the razer crammed a 4k display with a gtx 1080 into a 17" body.

EXTREEEEMEEEE

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mordiceius posted:

Most of that is gibberish to me, so none of it really stands out. I guess I should be good with the 2014.

Check the warranty status before you buy it. Go to the apple icon on the top left -> About this Mac > Service

Then click on the "Check my service and support status" button. By the way, you can only extend the warranty an additional 2 years.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

nerdz posted:

It's absurdly hard to find a non trash looking laptop with any gaming potential. The one that sorta makes the cut is the dell inspiron gaming, at least it looks like an ugly business laptop, not an ugly gaming laptop.

I got that one for my wife. Battery life is pretty bad, screen isn't great, it's huge and it weighs a ton, but it plays games okay and wasn't super expensive.

Anyone who thinks Apple needs to go in that direction or play in that space vs. where they're heading now is an insane person.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Check the warranty status before you buy it. Go to the apple icon on the top left -> About this Mac > Service

Then click on the "Check my service and support status" button. By the way, you can only extend the warranty an additional 2 years.

Will do. I'll get verification from the guy since he's in another state. I found him on r/appleswap

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

So can the 13" Pro drive the 5K display? I only see the built-in Iris graphics so I'm thinking no.

If it can work that'd be rad. I was going to get a 15" MBP to replace my 13" MBA since 1440x900 blows, but since the 13 is now 2560x1600 I'm thinking I might be able to keep a 13" screen for the couch and plug-in to a large one and have the best of both worlds.

Found my answer, from this article it looks like the 15" can drive 4 4K or 2 5K displays at once, the 13" can drive 2 4K or 1 5K.

So I guess I'll get a 13" and 2 4096x2160 displays to plug into it, that's still a lot more resolution than the 2x1920x1200 I'm doing on my desktop now.

e: added that 13" can drive 1 5K monitor, I accidentally left that out because I don't care about that config.

Hed fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 2, 2016

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Just ordered a refurb 256GB 15" rMBP 2015 for 1650€. :ohdear: never ever spent so much on a computer.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I scratched the top of my screen with my cleaning cloth gently caress this earth gently caress it all

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So the 13" non touch can't drive a single 5k?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jealous Cow posted:

So the 13" non touch can't drive a single 5k?

No it will drive 1 5K screen or 2 4K screens according the specs on Apple's site.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Secure my Digital? :confused:

Sell me a dongle.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

This was the info on it that I got back from the guy. He's pretty firm on his sell price of $1300. I think I'm going to go with it as I have been completely unable to find a better deal despite about a month of looking and I'm tired of waiting. Maybe I could get a better deal and save $100-$200 if I waited a few more weeks, but I don't want to wait any longer.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Selling my MBP for $400. Please tell your friends.

https://imgur.com/gallery/NoCix

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Mordiceius posted:

Will do. I'll get verification from the guy since he's in another state. I found him on r/appleswap
Do people seriously just wire $1300 or whatever to some rando on reddit and hope for the best?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Listen man I can't wait two more weeks to spend 1300.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Given both options to connect a 24" monitor, is there any benefit to Mini DisplayPort over HDMI?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Linguica posted:

Do people seriously just wire $1300 or whatever to some rando on reddit and hope for the best?

This is exactly what credit card chargebacks are for.

Worked out for me.

eames
May 9, 2009

Phil Shiller posted:

And we are proud to tell you that so far our online store has had more orders for the new MacBook Pro than any other pro notebook before.
So there certainly are a lot of people as excited as we are about it.
source

The customers have spoken. :toot:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

smackfu posted:

Given both options to connect a 24" monitor, is there any benefit to Mini DisplayPort over HDMI?

DP can do 4k @ 60fps, HDMI 1.x generally can't do the 60fps bit. Besides that, not a huge difference if you're using 1080p or whatever. I'd use minidisplayport just for the smaller plug and that the HDMI cable could be useful elsewhere, say, a TV.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

eames posted:

source

I knew it, whatever goons hate, sells

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really optimistic wrt. the Touchbar:

More mouse-free work. Clicking popup boxes annoys me.

This shouldn't be a hack though:
https://github.com/mattrajca/sudo-touchid

eames posted:

source

Hard to judge what this means cause of the long wait.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

ethanol posted:

I knew it, whatever goons hate, sells

I read an impassioned soliloquy from a LOYAL APPLE web developer about how 16GB of RAM wasn't enough for MY WORKFLOW and that APPLE DOESNT CARE ABOUT PRO USERS and knew this year was going to be a banner year for Macbook sales. I imagine they sighed dramatically before clicking buy on the Apple Store.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm curious if they'll continue to update the Macbook out of cycle with the rest. The Broadwell -> Skylake -> Kaby Lake jump has been significant for the 4.5W Core m parts, and with the CPU performance concerns addressed and a growing infrastructure of USB Type-c stuff, the Macbook is lookin great.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I was definitely skeptical of the touch bar at first, but after spending a bit of time thinking about it, a context-sensitive button strip could be done well, and it seems that there's been a lot of thought put in to it.

I'd like to see if you could use it for a more interactive Exposé. Hold the button for all windows, then drag left or right to wheel through windows or applications. Quick swipe on the button to fullscreen, sweep it down for minimise. Multitouch would make this pretty extensible.

It's not what I'd hoped for, but if it's handled well, it could end up being a neat feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does the touch bar have haptic feedback like the Apple Watch?