Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Finished my second game as the wild walkers. This one went quite a bit faster.

How locked in is each faction to it's stated victory goal?

I tried playing cultists, but they seem kind of bad. The first attempt I couldn't even create a city first turn that had six free spaces around it. I reloaded, but they still seem kind of RNG dependent. All the nearby villages were on the border and only harvested four spaces. The minus ten gold per village is brutal early. They're not even mentioned in the OP. Are they just bad?

Necrophages also seem kind of bad. The no peace/alliance thing seems to be too much of a downside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Necrophages are awesome, but you can't go sim city with them. The thing is that every battle you win era 2 and later means your army multiplies, and goes beyond the standard army maximums. They snowball really hard because you just overwhelm your opponents with sheer force of numbers, and because every unit you kill goes towards stockpiles means that your cities grow to massive sizes. Which means more production for units and gold for upkeep.The thing is to start attacking early and then just never stop, upgrading your armies in your captured/razed cities. You can go for all the different victories (aside from diplomatic), but everything will be fueled by domination.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 28, 2016

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I just got blown out as Morgawr. Some Wild Walkers rear end in a top hat kept spamming boats at me, and then I was on the same island as the Necrophages so the inevitable happened. How do you get a good start as the Morgawr?

Plus, it's going to look really bad if I put up a guide and everything on it's bad and wrong. :buddy:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Safety Scissors posted:

I tried playing cultists, but they seem kind of bad. The first attempt I couldn't even create a city first turn that had six free spaces around it. I reloaded, but they still seem kind of RNG dependent. All the nearby villages were on the border and only harvested four spaces. The minus ten gold per village is brutal early. They're not even mentioned in the OP. Are they just bad?

Cultists are borderline overpowered but yeah initial city placement is critical. More than any other race, if your starting area is absolutely terrible remember that you can settle and salt while making your way to a new province. You'll still be falling behind a little but you can settle, stick the citizen in science or dust, and queue up salt and not lose THAT much besides a turn of growth and production. Edit: I'm an idiot that has only played cultists like once, see below. You should always be doing this with settlers in general while you move them to a good spot, there's absolutely no penalty for it.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 29, 2016

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
Settle and salt is a great trick 90% of the time. Salting your capital is a good chunk of the other 10% because you'll lose your palace, costing you 22 dust per turn and an extra city of disapproval. It's far better to wait and settle on turn two.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

NmareBfly posted:

Cultists are borderline overpowered but yeah initial city placement is critical. More than any other race, if your starting area is absolutely terrible remember that you can settle and salt while making your way to a new province. You'll still be falling behind a little but you can settle, stick the citizen in science or dust, and queue up salt and not lose THAT much besides a turn of growth and production. You should always be doing this with settlers in general while you move them to a good spot, there's absolutely no penalty for it.

AFAIK once you settle the cultist city you can't resettle.

ABombpk
Jul 31, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Don't suppose anyone has similar effort post insight on the Allayi.

I wanna be bipolar samurai mothbats

Second this. They are my favorite so far.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Doing the Sunday game this week?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what means of production do the various factions want to settle on?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
For most factions, they want to go from industry in Eras 1-2 to dust production, especially forgotten & broken lords. Wild Walkers and Cultists have an easier time with industry through the late game though, so they may want to invest heavily in industry.

Also, gently caress! I though I saw a cheevo for Forgotten science victory. Using the recent guides posted up, I just won the game on a Forgotten science victory, expecting the cheevo. But nope, there isn't one. Now I'm pissed because I could have ended the game 50 turns earlier. Even bringing in 22k dust a turn, buying five 80-12k researches sucks.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

Doing the Sunday game this week?

Eh, sorry. I woke up a few hours ago after a night of bad decisions and I have a huge presentation tomorrow.

Maybe sometime this week, or next weekend?

Tollymain posted:

what means of production do the various factions want to settle on?

Very generally speaking:

-Food is important to everyone in the early game except Broken Lords for whom it's useless and invisible.
-Early cities for anyone need to generate a lot of Industry and/or Dust (i.e. you can't forego both).
-Broken Lords, Ardent Mages, and Forgotten are very Dust hungry.
-No one wants Tundra/Arctic/whatever it's called without strong incentives (anomalies, resources).

Wild Walkers: Forest
Vaulters: Science, strategics.
Necrophages: Industry, MF villages
Ardent Mages: Dust, Science
Drakken: Anything. Ruins give +inf.
Broken Lords: Desert, rivers.
Roving Clans: Anything, Dust.
Forgotten: Dust.
Allayi: Anything.
Morgawr: Coasts and rivers.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Anyone got tips or effort posts for Ardent Mages? I feel comfortable with just about every other faction, but for some reason I keep failing super hard with the bdsmages.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Kaiju15 posted:

Anyone got tips or effort posts for Ardent Mages? I feel comfortable with just about every other faction, but for some reason I keep failing super hard with the bdsmages.

I remember from the multiplayer steam guide that instead of building your cities/districts in a more standard triangle shape, you want to build your cities up in U shapes. Place an arcane focus in the middle of the U and you'll reap maximum benefits. Sure someone can go into more detail about them though.

If we're throwing out requests, anyone got tips for the Morgw-Mogra-Mog-Murlocs?

I legit struggle trying to remember how to spell their name :downs:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Kaiju15 posted:

I don't frequent Mages much anymore, but that's mostly because I played them in single-player and got bored of those games always turning into rolling around with stacks of Zealots burning everything to death. The pillar/spell mechanic is a bit to get used to but they aren't wildly outside the norm as far as general strategy goes, so I'm not certain why Mages specifically would give you problems. They're quite good at jumping into Era II early to take advantage of quick access to tier 2 empire plans (as in, your first plan can include them), which is great for early expansion; try this if you haven't already, because it's a very good strategy in general.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

If we're throwing out requests, anyone got tips for the Morgw-Mogra-Mog-Murlocs?

I legit struggle trying to remember how to spell their name :downs:

I haven't played Morgawr a whole lot yet, but they're really good. Settle on the coast (their faction trait that gives them industry & science on water makes for pretty consistent starts), try to seize as much of the ocean as you can because your Vores & later Leviathans dominate the ocean early game (although Roving Clans boats are also scary). Parley with the Fomarians first to see if they give you easy quests, eat them if they don't. Don't neglect settlers/expanding on land in your lust for oceanic conquest, but if you can take the oceans quickly and maintain control, you'll be drowning in all kinds of resources.

Still working on Allayi stuff, I'll leave the Morgawr effort post for someone else.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Generic Octopus posted:

I haven't played Morgawr a whole lot yet, but they're really good.

They seem both ridiculously good if left alone to farm fortesses at own leisure and hilariously weak if you just stroll into their city with an early stack. Very cultist-y in many ways.

quote:

(although Roving Clans boats are also scary

Wait, what? Weren't all other races supposed to roll with the same generic naval capability?

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 1, 2016

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

They do. But mercs bought from the marketplace get extra boosts from the Roving Clan's abilities. So the same ships that everyone has are +1 for the Roving clans.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

Wait, what? Weren't all other races supposed to roll with the same generic naval capability?

Chocolate Chunk posted:

They do. But mercs bought from the marketplace get extra boosts from the Roving Clan's abilities. So the same ships that everyone has are +1 for the Roving clans.

The Era I boat (Boarding Vessel) also comes with the Boarding Party trait, which converts X% (tier 1 starts at 30%) of remaining life into bonus damage...and RC mercs get 2x health.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Generic Octopus posted:

The Era I boat (Boarding Vessel) also comes with the Boarding Party trait, which converts X% (tier 1 starts at 30%) of remaining life into bonus damage...and RC mercs get 2x health.

Oh Jesus, that didn't occur to me at all.

Vores are good, but don't seem wildly above the curve- I wonder if Roving Clans actually have a better navy.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
When a hero gets the apex 'winter immunity' skill, does that also apply to output from the city where they are governor?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

When a hero gets the apex 'winter immunity' skill, does that also apply to output from the city where they are governor?

Yes, that's the main use for it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pretty essential for keeping your economy from bottoming out as the winters get worse and worse.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Did that bug ever get fixed where if you reassign your hero that skill never worked again?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Sending out feelers for a possible EL game this coming Sunday @ 0900 (CST/UTC-6). All DLC will be available, so if you want to give the new content a try you'll be in luck. New players are welcome as well!

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I'm in.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

BadOptics posted:

Sending out feelers for a possible EL game this coming Sunday @ 0900 (CST/UTC-6). All DLC will be available, so if you want to give the new content a try you'll be in luck. New players are welcome as well!

Doesn't the clock go back one hour this Sunday?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Sure I'm in.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I've started a new game with the cultists. Any advice for the early game? I don't have a good feel for where my priorities should be.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Influence mostly. You can derive more FIDS by converting villages than anything else. Split your city pop between food and influence. Take your army around the local area to find likely villages for conversion. Around the first empire plan you should have converted enough villages to have a decent sized army so stick your hero into your city as governor and pump his influence boost. Buy a general later on to replace him but it's quantity over quality in the cultist army.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Somehow I'd overlooked this game for forever, even though I enjoyed Dungeon of the Endless. I guess I avoided it because I felt Endless Space wasn't for me? Oh well. I like how this game differs so much from stuff like Civ in its faction design - instead of having really similar nations with slightly different starts and bonuses, most EL factions go 'against the rules', like Broken Lords not using an entire resource, or Cultists doing... whatever weird poo poo they do.

I've only been playing a few days now, but I've really shined to the Broken Lords. I'm obviously nowhere near experienced enough to do a guide, but I've found (through playing, and from other guides that gave useful advice) that focusing on Industry first is really important. However, once you hit Era 3 and dump the two Dust buildings on your BL or Cultist-led cities (for their Dust/Everything Efficiency intrinsic/skill, respectively)(also equipped with Glassteel Tomes), combined with the cost and buyout reduction tech and empire plan options, both Industry and approval rating become almost entirely irrelevant. Each city pop will put out ~16 Dust each, building buyout is dropped by about 30%, and units by about a third, I think. And since approval doesn't affect Dust generation, you can expand or capture all you want and not care.

I've only played a few games on Normal with no expansions, but I've won every game, usually by Supremacy, by about Turn 130. My record is around 11k Dust/turn, but smashing faces is faster than an economic victory.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Coucho Marx posted:

And since approval doesn't affect Dust generation, you can expand or capture all you want and not care.

Empire Approval affects Science and Dust.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Coucho Marx posted:

And since approval doesn't affect Dust generation, you can expand or capture all you want and not care.

This isn't actually true, approval affects all four FIDS. The thing is, while Food and Industry depend on the approval of the city that generates them, Dust and Science depend on the approval of your empire as a whole. As you've discovered, the pivot to a Dust economy is a very powerful strategy despite that limitation, though. You can make it even stronger by picking up a Wild Walkers hero and speed levelling him up by putting him in whatever city you're about to buy something in whenever his assignment cooldown is up. That will eventually give you a hero that provides a 24% building cost reduction and can be reassigned every turn - never pay 2/3rds price for an important building again.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
It's a little embarrassing that I have some 150+ hours in this game and I still keep encountering stuff like that that has never occurred to me.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Generic Octopus posted:

Empire Approval affects Science and Dust.

HundredBears posted:

This isn't actually true, approval affects all four FIDS. The thing is, while Food and Industry depend on the approval of the city that generates them, Dust and Science depend on the approval of your empire as a whole. As you've discovered, the pivot to a Dust economy is a very powerful strategy despite that limitation, though. You can make it even stronger by picking up a Wild Walkers hero and speed levelling him up by putting him in whatever city you're about to buy something in whenever his assignment cooldown is up. That will eventually give you a hero that provides a 24% building cost reduction and can be reassigned every turn - never pay 2/3rds price for an important building again.

Well then, I've been educated. I always thought it never hurt Dust (or Science, for that matter) since it doesn't show up when I mouse over a city's mood, but now I know! And now I actually have a reason to use the Empire and Expansion aspect of the Empire Plan. At any rate, I just bought Guardians, so between that first legendary deed building and that Era 4 Dust deed reward (to name two things), I have a good reason to keep the empire happy, which isn't actually too hard. It's not like Broken Lords really have to spread themselves thin on techs, and I only tend to have real happiness problems in the middle of the "I Take My Armies On A Grand Tour Of Every Capital City" phase of the game.

Avasculous posted:

It's a little embarrassing that I have some 150+ hours in this game and I still keep encountering stuff like that that has never occurred to me.

I only just noticed the Actions tracker on armies. Like, I knew they could only do one thing a turn, but I never noticed that it was shown there. I still don't know the max distance for reinforcing armies. The game could really use an encyclopedia, like the Civ games do, just so you can look at everything that's available.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 3, 2016

Bazinga!
Dec 15, 2011

Coucho Marx posted:

I still don't know the max distance for reinforcing armies.

Do as if you tried to right-click on the ennemy stack to attack it, but keep the button pressed. You will see a border around the area from where the reinforcements can join if you attack from this tile.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Coucho Marx posted:

Well then, I've been educated. I always thought it never hurt Dust (or Science, for that matter) since it doesn't show up when I mouse over a city's mood, but now I know!

To be clear/to add to what HundredBears said, the tooltip you're referring to is related to just that city's approval; the Empire screen shows your empire's overall approval, and mousing over that will show the dust & science bonuses or penalties.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

BadOptics posted:

I'm good for another game too

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Doesn't the clock go back one hour this Sunday?

Yeah, but seeing how it's "giving" everyone an hour it shouldn't be a problem. There's also an event notification I made on the Goonless Legend steam group which I assume will account for the time change. If you need an invite to it just shoot me a message on Steam (my steam ID is the same as my SA name).

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GOONLESS

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 4, 2016

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

BadOptics posted:

Yeah, but seeing how it's "giving" everyone an hour it shouldn't be a problem. There's also an event notification I made on the Goonless Legend steam group which I assume will account for the time change. If you need an invite to it just shoot me a message on Steam (my steam ID is the same as my SA name).

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GOONLESS

I'd be down for a Sunday game. Sent you a friend invite as Altimatum7.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Bazinga! posted:

Do as if you tried to right-click on the ennemy stack to attack it, but keep the button pressed. You will see a border around the area from where the reinforcements can join if you attack from this tile.

Cool, I'll have a look next time I play.

Generic Octopus posted:

To be clear/to add to what HundredBears said, the tooltip you're referring to is related to just that city's approval; the Empire screen shows your empire's overall approval, and mousing over that will show the dust & science bonuses or penalties.

Yeah, I realized after that discussion. It'd be nice if it appeared in the tooltip for city happiness, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Coucho Marx posted:

Yeah, I realized after that discussion. It'd be nice if it appeared in the tooltip for city happiness, too.

So the upshot is this. Take the broken Lords capital and expand all you want. Build districts upon districts. Tank the city happiness, but also expand seven or eight other single tile cities with super high happiness. The single city unhappiness is meaningless. The empire's average happiness is what matters for science and dust. There's no tool tip on the city happiness because it has nothing to do with the science and dust bonus/penalty.