Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slip
Jan 20, 2001
wrong thread!

Slip fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

So my dad has a decent nickname for Paul George, "John Ringo"

The most dad joke NBA player nickname ever

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Warriors gonna lose again because they are d league like I always said

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

The Glumslinger posted:

i like it

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The Glumslinger posted:

/
:dadjoke:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Does anyone know if Paul Pierce got fined for sitting in costume on the bench last night

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I think I'm ready to give up on the Davis as defensive anchor project.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Does anyone know if Paul Pierce got fined for sitting in costume on the bench last night

Why would he get fined? He wasn't an active player

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
impressionable young men will see that and think it's okay to go around being rick james

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kibner posted:

I think I'm ready to give up on the Davis as defensive anchor project.

He's a weakside guy, but that's OK. I think of he took a full load on as a defensive anchor it'd hurt him on the other end of the floor. Pelicans should go call Larry Sanders.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Listening to Jackson Browne's Load Out/Stay always relaxes me into a better mood when I'm angry. The Pels made me angry tonight.

Lockback posted:

He's a weakside guy, but that's OK. I think of he took a full load on as a defensive anchor it'd hurt him on the other end of the floor. Pelicans should go call Larry Sanders.

Maybe.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

chunkles posted:

impressionable young men will see that and think it's okay to go around being rick james

or get rick james tattooed on their legs

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect
Disregard this, wrong thread.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Metapod posted:

Pretty sure you're required to wear a suit in that case.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Pretty sure you're required to wear a suit in that case.

Pimp Suit.

Lawyered

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I kind of wonder what the next big evolution in basketball will be; we're in the middle of leaguewide pace and space, so I feel that the next trend is a move back to post-up offense but with skilled bigs who can pass and knock down three pointers, some type of position less thing with lots of switching on defense

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

I kind of wonder what the next big evolution in basketball will be; we're in the middle of leaguewide pace and space, so I feel that the next trend is a move back to post-up offense but with skilled bigs who can pass and knock down three pointers, some type of position less thing with lots of switching on defense

three alphas

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

R.D. Mangles posted:

three alphas

i'm really surprised that the three are gelling so well so soon

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Carlosologist posted:

I don't know if we'll go back to post play right away, but I actually see a decrease in switching. We already saw some teams playing man to man in the playoffs to some success in spurts. I could see teams trying it even more. If there's less switching, then the natural response is post play to take advantage of one on one matchups.

With that said, we could just go even farther down the motion defense and offense and the end of position basketball has been foretold for like twenty years now.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
So how do we feel about the Cleveland Indians potentially blowing a 3–1 series lead in the finals. Is this karma for LeBron's Halloween party? A sure sign that the Cavs will miss the playoffs this year? Discuss

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://streamable.com/6wjf

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Metapod posted:

I'm used to the NFL, but I know the NBA has been lax on that stuff because they like fun and so I'm hoping they filed it under that since he didn't really do anything disruptive.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I think you'll see point guards facillitating from the pivot as opposed to strict face up isos and pick and rolls

I also think you'll see more big men initiating the offense especially as the size gap between positions decreases

Finally I think as a whole you'll see more off ball movement as players will be expected to hit shots on the move as well as with their feet set

This is in like two or three bball generations though and you'll always hve some people running the ball through goliaths

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

That jump shot timer in some basketball games is a bitch to get used to. I feel you Jo.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Stevie Lee posted:

lmao

is he wearing headphones or what the gently caress is on his head

the coward marc gasol elbowed him in the ear

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

My First Week Power Rankings, Please Argue With Me:

1. Cavs 4-0 - They won the title and look unbeatable on their day. Kyrie has started off the season cooking.
    2. GSW 3-1 - Were their close calls to against the Suns and Pelicans and blowout against the Spurs at home just growing pains, or is Portland just that loving bad at defense? Looked like last years Warriors tonight.
    3. Clippers 3-0 - Destroying opponents through marginal possession value advantage compounding over a game. Still massively susceptible to momentum spiralling out of control.
    4. Hawks 3-0 - This is a good basketball team.
    5. Spurs 4-1 - With Duncan gone, so is some of the mystique. Kawhi has been ridiculous. Loss to Jazz keeps them out of the top 2. Beating the Warriors keeps them inside the top 5.
    6. Bulls 3-0 - The three alphas thing is working, but their three point shooting is not sustainable. Should come back to Earth as a grind it out team that plays excellent fundamental basketball. Kind of like them.
    7. Celtics 2-1 - You have to play very hard and fundamentally sound basketball to beat them. Will destroy the flotsam of the league.
    8. Jazz 2-2 - Win over the Spurs boosts their credentials, but losses to the Clippers and Trailblazers hurts them. Should be a top 1/3 team.
    9. Toronto 2-1 - Solid squad. DeRozan is going insane.
    10. Houston 2-2 - Can score with anyone, can get scored on by anyone. Eric Gordon looks great.
    11. OKC 3-0 - Close wins against bad teams paper over a terrible offense. Have to muck up game against more talented opponents. Will be blown out twice in the next week (in all likelihood).
    12. Pacers 2-2 - Solid. Thad Young and Jeff Teague are generic starters, but fit nicely. They'll go as far as Myles Turner can grow and Paul George can take them.
    13. Trail Blazers 2-2 - Their defense is so loving bad. McCollum and Lillard will be shooting them out of holes every night. They're good enough on that end of the court to mitigate the damage.
    14. Pistons 3-1 - No good PG for the foreseeable future, but everything else about this team is set up to keep it in the top half of the league for the next 5 years.
    15. Charlotte 2-1 - Good players all over the court, this team will push their Eastern conference rivals, but lack the star power to make a bigger splash.
    16. Grizzlies 2-2 - Solid. Going to pretend that tonights game didn't happen because they were playing a lineup of the high school team your create-a-player goes against in NBA 2k
    17. Nuggets 1-2 - Jokic and Nurkic are legit, but Malone's having a little bit of trouble. Mudiay is bad. They are missing Gary Harris more than I thought they would.
    18. Heat 2-2 - Hassan Whiteside and Dragic are good, but it's hard to win with two good players and an assortment of young in the NBA.
    19. Kings 2-3 - DeMarcus and Rudy Gay have been ridiculous, but the rest of the team just isn't very good. Will push a lot of good teams.
    20. Timberwolves 1-2 - 3 Weeks without Rubio will give Dunn the chance to shine. Destructive on defense tonight. Towns has been mediocre, Wiggins good (but not passing).
    21. Knicks 1-2 - Will probably end the season 5 spots lower. This is a disaster. https://cdn-e1.streamable.com/video/mp4/6wjf.mp4?token=1479272022_60c928188cf0d32396d4461ed4ac77701ab40c61
    22. Bucks 2-2 - Spacing issues all over the court.
    23. Mavericks 0-3 - A bad start for the team, but a promising one for Barnes & Co. Lost two squeakers. Pretty good.
    24. Wizards 0-2 - Beal and Wall issues show no sign of relenting, but they should finish around .500.
    25. Lakers 1-3 - The best of the bad teams. They can score in a hurry and run the court, but can't defend a lick.
    26. Magic 1-3 - Their backcourt is terrible and their frontcourt is lopsided. Vogel needs to sort out effective rotations with Biyombo back. Tanking for an elite PG would behoove them.
    27. Suns 0-4 - Playing good teams fairly close with some nice pieces, but still a way away.
    28. Pelicans 0-4 - Davis is otherworldly, but their bench player bonanza over the summer hasn't reaped rewards. Holiday and 'Reke are sorely missed.
    29. Nets 1-3 - Scrappy, but bad.
    30. 76ers 0-3 - Embiid looks great, but can only play 25 minutes. Everyone else on this team is very bad. Saric looks okay. Do the little things to lose games.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 2, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

someone post some joel embiid gifs for me

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

love, love it.

"shot won't fall"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

I feel like I've seen this somewhere before

🤔🤔🤔

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Somewhere in the world a man sits down, and says "I wish I was an NBA player...even just for one play" and his monkey paw closes another finger.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Eric Gordon looking great surprised me, but it's balanced out by Ryan Anderson not looking great.

Overall, I'm just happy to see them run a drat offense. They need a point guard for when Harden sits, but when he's playing it looks legit with like, screens and cuts and other poo poo they couldn't do because they had to clear out for Dwight.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AggressivelyStupid posted:

James Harden is a better point guard than D.S.S. Nash

I'm so happy D'antoni is back.

And speaking of things that make me happy, George Hill is my new favorite basketball player

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 2, 2016

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Ben Simmons owns.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17945257/ben-simmons-blasts-messed-ncaa-film-says-players-get-nothing

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Boogie Cousins fouls by quarter tonight

1: 0
2: 0
3: 0
4: 6

:eyepop:

And #6 was a megaquestionable offensive foul on a made basket when the game was almost over. And the Kings lost in OT.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

MourningView posted:

I'm so happy D'antoni is back.

And speaking of things that make me happy, George Hill is my new favorite basketball player

Everyone made fun of him for it but I miss his Demolition Man hair. Made him super easy to pick out on the court which I always like when I'm intensely staring down a game. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I remember the Rocket used a Jason Terry, Corey Brewer, Josh Smith lineup a few times and that weirded me out because even though those guys are three different sizes it turns out the signifier in my head for all of them is 'black, buzz cut + headband' and it would make my brain short circuit figuring who was who while simultaneously paying attention to the game.

e: also I just learned that Jason Terry is benchwarming for the Bucks???? I got confused for a minute and then remembered the Kidd/Terry connection via their time on the Mavericks. Wonder if he's getting groomed for coaching or if he's just there to keep the young guys in line.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 2, 2016

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
For the true diehard Australian NBA Fan.
http://www.omgc.com.au/services/

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

The Glumslinger posted:

https://youtu.be/WwTqZp5bYRA?t=2m18s

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

attackmole posted:

Everyone made fun of him for it but I miss his Demolition Man hair. Made him super easy to pick out on the court which I always like when I'm intensely staring down a game. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I remember the Rocket used a Jason Terry, Corey Brewer, Josh Smith lineup a few times and that weirded me out because even though those guys are three different sizes it turns out the signifier in my head for all of them is 'black, buzz cut + headband' and it would make my brain short circuit figuring who was who while simultaneously paying attention to the game.

This is the most sensible explanation I've heard for why that bench unit was able to score at all let alone provide some of the more watchable Rockets ball in the Dwight era

attackmole posted:

e: also I just learned that Jason Terry is benchwarming for the Bucks???? I got confused for a minute and then remembered the Kidd/Terry connection via their time on the Mavericks. Wonder if he's getting groomed for coaching or if he's just there to keep the young guys in line.

Probably all of the above, but he wasn't terrible his last year on the Rockets. Good for a couple 3s, probably shouldn't have played as much as he did but that wasn't his fault.

e: Harden was the first Rocket with 40/15ast/5 in a game. Most Valuable Beard

chunkles fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 2, 2016

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
So many guys posting video game type numbers, it's delicious.

I am still out on DeRozan though. My 16 year old self would have embraced that guy, because tough jumpers with a man in your face? All day! Now I can only see JV not getting the ball for another season, while the Raptors will live and ultimately die on DeRozan going 1-on-1 in the 4th quarter of an important playoff game. I know he's good, but he's definitely not for me.

edit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/02/sports/basketball/charles-oakley-knicks-cleveland.html

quote:

On Saturday, the Knicks celebrated the franchise’s 70th anniversary by honoring several former players and family members at halftime of their home opener at Madison Square Garden. Oakley was not among them. He cannot understand why he has been exiled. To him, it is beyond comprehension.

“One day,” he said, “they gonna need me for something.”

In the meantime, Oakley is staying busy. In recent years, he has channeled his competitive drive toward cooking, a longtime passion. He will cater your private event — yes, Charles Oakley and a staff of one (“somebody to serve drinks”) will show up at your house to cook for you and your friends. For 25 to 30 people, he charges around $20,000. “I’m available,” Oakley said. “I’m not cheap, but I’m available.”

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

The Glumslinger posted:

If one of the Holidays ever manage to posterize him, they earn the nickname "Doc."

ChickenMedium fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 2, 2016

• Locked thread