Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/793647810155573248

ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BiohazrD posted:

All the Republican Party has to do is stop making GBS threads on immigration. Latino voters are extremely socially conservative.

Latinos also overwhelmingly support the ACA, so welp.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

MattD1zzl3 posted:

This cannot be overstated. Calling it the alt right ties this new political movement in with traditional economic conservatism when it should really be seen as a social conservative movement. I haven't seen much evidence at all that the so-called "alt right" is a low taxes small government thing. More a response to the democratic party adopting increasingly radical social progressivism. When this trump bullshit is shaken it needs a new name.

I used to ask in USpol "what would someone called if i am a socially conservative with keynsian economics"

This supposes that they care about economics at all, which so far they don't. The world can explode in hellfire as long as their social spite is sated.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

MattD1zzl3 posted:

This cannot be overstated. Calling it the alt right ties this new political movement in with traditional economic conservatism when it should really be seen as a social conservative movement. I haven't seen much evidence at all that the so-called "alt right" is a low taxes small government thing. More a response to the democratic party adopting increasingly radical social progressivism. When this trump bullshit is shaken and there is no more republican party (i hope) it needs a new name.

Can't we just call it "Stormfront leakage"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

bencreateddisco posted:

has that outlier poll saying 28% of registered republicans voted clinton in early voting in florida been discussed yet?
Someone said "nuh uh" in a tweet so I guess it's all bad because Republicans literally control reality and we're addicted to despair chemicals

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

LinYutang posted:

Enjoy that outlier poll, it's probably not true :shrug:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/793640389030936576

Idgi

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

RuanGacho posted:

This supposes that they care about economics at all, which so far they don't. The world can explode in hellfire as long as their social spite is sated.

Right, it's white supremacy. It's why conflating The Alt-Right with generic dipshit Trump supporters is incorrect. They're Super Extra Dipshits that don't even necessarily support Trump.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

RuanGacho posted:

The Bernie and Trump movements this election cycle have proved that nobody knows a drat thing about economics

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dude has a checkmark next to his name so he gets to decide what is and isn't real

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

HannibalBarca posted:

IN is one of six remaining competitive Senate races - the others are NV, NC, PA, NH, and MO (and that's if you give Feingold the benefit of the doubt in WI). Outlook is grim.

Grim is a strong word in this case. I want what I most likely can't have and that's a +6 or +7 shift in the senate. It will most likely squeak by and I bet it will turn out 50/50 split with Kaine being the tie breaking vote for the first two years of his term (followed by GOP dominance again in the midterms)

What I care about right now are Judicial vacancies. The GOP have kicked that can down the road long enough and they need to be filled. The GOP swearing up and down that they will not confirm anyone, SCOTUS included, for years is drat sickening to me and made it personal. I could give two shits about Bayh overall at this point but as long as he is pulling his weight I will give him a loving pass.

God this election and country... :suicide:

Ganon
May 24, 2003

I love the conservative news sites that just make up quotes for their articles.

From another one there - Kaepernick stupidly says that he can’t salute the flag because “the U.S. is evil and filled with white racists.”

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

https://twitter.com/onlxn/status/793653507115016195

Context?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
So what the hell is the deal with this FBI foia twitter account suddenly springing back into life after a year and tweeting some puff piece about Fred Trump, and documents about Marc Rich/Clinton Foundation?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

computer parts posted:

Latinos also overwhelmingly support the ACA, so welp.

Support, or supported? Uninsured rates among latinos has gone from 29% to 40% since 2013.

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/issue-briefs/2016/aug/who-are-the-remaining-uninsured

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

spacetoaster posted:

Support, or supported? Uninsured rates among latinos has gone from 29% to 40% since 2013.

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/issue-briefs/2016/aug/who-are-the-remaining-uninsured

That is not what that article says.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

Dude has a checkmark next to his name so he gets to decide what is and isn't real

I mean if the +7 Trump poll is an outlier then so is that.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

The Bernie and Trump movements this election cycle have proved that nobody knows a drat thing about economics

Yo, I'm gunna help yall out.

If you build infrastructure in ways that increase military readiness, it also happens to improve civilian economics through logistical improvement.

Ergo you make the country safer, more economically vibrant and more free if the costs of business are socialized.

This is why the Ike man is the greatest.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BiohazrD posted:

All the Republican Party has to do is stop making GBS threads on immigration. Latino voters are extremely socially conservative.

Nah, turns out that's not actually true at all. And to the extent it is true, Hispanic and Asian immigrants tend to put a much lower emphasis on socially conservative issues in comparison to economic issues, where they're way more liberal than the Republican Party.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/417799/myth-socially-conservative-immigrant-mark-krikorian
http://prospect.org/article/myth-buster-latinos-are-not-natural-conservatives
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...m=.c58761abd5a8
http://latinainstitute.org/es/2012/12/10/the-unraveling-of-the-latino-conservative-myth

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Spiffster posted:

Grim is a strong word in this case. I want what I most likely can't have and that's a +6 or +7 shift in the senate. It will most likely squeak by and I bet it will turn out 50/50 split with Kaine being the tie breaking vote for the first two years of his term (followed by GOP dominance again in the midterms)

What I care about right now are Judicial vacancies. The GOP have kicked that van down the road long enough and they need to be filled. The GOP swearing up and down that they will not confirm anyone, SCOTUS included, for years is drat sickening to me and made it personal. I could give two shits about Bayh overall at this point but as long as he is pulling his weight I will give him a loving pass.

God this election and country... :suicide:

Having a political party as a whole openly saying that they'll prevent the government from doing anything solely because they feel entitled to own it all would get them totally disqualified in a sane world. Unfortunately, we live in a world where doing something this selfish and childish gets celebrated by a base radicalized by decades of media increasingly detached from reality and treated as normal by the rest of the media too intimidated to dare question it for fear of said base's wrath.

I really do want to believe that we will someday improve, but it's looking increasingly unlikely so long as the GOP is allowed to continue to exist as it is.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Susan Sarandon is really goddamn stupid and just endorsed Stein.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

spacetoaster posted:

Like I'm going to quote this post again because it's incredibly dumb and reeks of "googled first result and posted blindly".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Did you actually read what you posted or just grab a random link that had a convenient quote that sounded good?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Susan Sarandon decided to go full Bernout.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PT6A posted:

Susan Sarandon is really goddamn stupid and just endorsed Stein.
I've got one thing to say and that's DAMMIT, JANET.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

So what the hell is the deal with this FBI foia twitter account suddenly springing back into life after a year and tweeting some puff piece about Fred Trump, and documents about Marc Rich/Clinton Foundation?
They claim it was "broken" and they fixed it and now it just HAAAAAAPPENED to release something positive about Trump and two negative things about Clinton along with some other random documents, total coincidence we swear guys

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

computer parts posted:

Like I'm going to quote this post again because it's incredibly dumb and reeks of "googled first result and posted blindly".

Ok, make me smarter.

I did google for studies on latino involvement with the ACA.

I read this report, then went to the read along and interactive explanation.

Are you saying there is a better source? Or is the Commonwealth Fund some bad org that nobody should listen to?

ImpAtom posted:

Did you actually read what you posted or just grab a random link that had a convenient quote that sounded good?

Of course I read it. What's wrong with it?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Winchester, Virginia is Trump Country. But it's principled, funny enough - once enough people heard about Q1 messing with the constitution, they became interested and attentive.

We've been saying it a lot in this thread today - conservatives are not, by and large, evil people. You get out into the country, and there's a lot of folks who just wanna go to work and feed their kids, and they don't give a sweet drat about much else. They're not belligerent systemic racists, because systemic racism mostly runs into Not My Problem. But the housing crisis is everyone's problem. And for conservatives, the constitution is everyone's problem. When you hit them on that angle, they listen.

Basically what I'm saying is that we don't have to destroy everyone. Just the ones spoiling for a fight. Most people don't seem to want to fight. They want to be heard, and they want action. So we listen and act.

Fifty doors and 277 miles today. More tomorrow. Five days left.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Northjayhawk posted:

Her scowl during the DNC was totally my poo poo.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Winchester, Virginia is Trump Country. But it's principled, funny enough - once enough people heard about Q1 messing with the constitution, they became interested and attentive.

We've been saying it a lot in this thread today - conservatives are not, by and large, evil people. You get out into the country, and there's a lot of folks who just wanna go to work and feed their kids, and they don't give a sweet drat about much else. They're not belligerent systemic racists, because systemic racism mostly runs into Not My Problem. But the housing crisis is everyone's problem. And for conservatives, the constitution is everyone's problem. When you hit them on that angle, they listen.

Basically what I'm saying is that we don't have to destroy everyone. Just the ones spoiling for a fight. Most people don't seem to want to fight. They want to be heard, and they want action. So we listen and act.

Fifty doors and 277 miles today. More tomorrow. Five days left.

Thank you for your service.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gorelab posted:

I mean if the +7 Trump poll is an outlier then so is that.

And? Even if it's 10%, Hill's got FL. If she has FL it's over. Besides the thing reporting that stat isn't a hypothetical. It actually happened.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Northjayhawk posted:

“Fear of Donald Trump is not enough for me to support Clinton, with her record of corruption,” Sarandon’s letter reads. “Now that Trump is self-destructing, I feel even those in swing states have the opportunity to vote their conscience.”

:fuckoff:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Okay. So why did you take "less Latinos are supporting the ACA" away from it? Because that isn't what it says. One, the numbers you quoted are the percentage of uninsured people which is influenced by the fact that more people are insured. The second is that the increase in that percentage among the Latino population isn't because of significant lack of support but nearly half of the Latinos were undocumented immigrants who are specifically excluded from the ACA.

Hell, here is a quote right from it:

quote:

Finally, the growing share of Latinos in the shrinking number of uninsured people reflects both the growth of this population in the United States in general and the explicit exclusion of undocumented immigrants from the law’s coverage expansions. Immigration reform would help increase the numbers of people who are eligible for coverage, as would a loosening of the law’s restrictions on the eligibility of undocumented immigrants.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
The ACA is awful. Don't defend it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, make me smarter.

I did google for studies on latino involvement with the ACA.

I read this report, then went to the read along and interactive explanation.

Are you saying there is a better source? Or is the Commonwealth Fund some bad org that nobody should listen to?

The abstract you linked says that Hispanics went from 29% of the uninsured population to 40% of the uninsured population. That is different than the uninsured rates for the Hispanic population rising from 29% to 40%.

Since the rest of the abstract talks about the share of uninsured Whites dropping and poverty being the issue, the takeaway isn't that Hispanics are dropping out of the insurance marketplace. Rather the takeaway is that the rising tide is lifting white people's boats and flooding everyone else's boats.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 2, 2016

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I've also noticed that when the candidates, and not just pundits talking about them, are in the news then Clinton does much better and Trump does much worse. She did great in polling during the debates and Trump did terrible, same with right after the convention. She has done poorly when there are lulls and people seem to forget that Trump is a complete idiot.

So basically if she wins there is a good probability that the country, seeing here every day, begins to support her more and more. If Trump wins, I'd expect his approvals to tank quickly and we end up with a huge D wave in 2018 (good timing for redistributing!)

So basically if Trump doesn't get everyone on the planet killed things will be okay.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

TheBigAristotle posted:

“Fear of Donald Trump is not enough for me to support Clinton, with her record of corruption,” Sarandon’s letter reads. “Now that Trump is self-destructing, I feel even those in swing states have the opportunity to vote their conscience.”

What record of corruption?

No seriously.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

im gay posted:

You're wrong.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Is the alt-right the same thing as neoreactionaries? One spews overt racism and the other one just has casual racism so it's hard to tell the difference.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bewilderment posted:

Is the alt-right the same thing as neoreactionaries? One spews overt racism and the other one just has casual racism so it's hard to tell the difference.

Why "neo"?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

im gay posted:

It's not great but it's better than what we had before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

TheBigAristotle posted:

Dammit, Janet.

• Locked thread