Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

drat, I cut manual threads on a metal lathe in a college class, both internal and external threads to make a demo plumb bob. Granted, my threads were poo poo, but it's not advances metalcutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Didn't kastein link to exactly what you needed from Speedway? Basically that, but adjustable, and $20.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Seminal Flu posted:

drat, I cut manual threads on a metal lathe in a college class, both internal and external threads to make a demo plumb bob. Granted, my threads were poo poo, but it's not advances metalcutting.

Hell, I'm pretty sure I could figure it out, and I haven't used a lathe since high school (20+ years, now.)
I'm very disappointed in your machinist.

edit: that is to say, I think I could turn out a bung with external threads for the bell-housing, and internal threads for your ball(s). I probably couldn't do the ball stud part.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 1, 2016

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Couldnt they drill and retap the bell housing hole to something they can make the part for?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ExplodingSims posted:

Started: I bought a new one that fits the bellhousing. It for a 70 something GMC, but it fits ok. Hopefully it plays nice with the ECU

The ECU won't give two shits about what starter you're using - on something that old, it doesn't control the starter at all, AFAIK.

Astonishing Wang posted:

But didn't he basically just NOT get three vehicles running?

I thought the rule was to not judge a mechanic by his/her own vehicles? :colbert:

My (now former, but only due to distance) longtime mechanic daily drives a 4th gen Prelude that looks like any other beat up mid 90s Honda, but has some kind of nutty JDM swap with some kind of turbo and ice cold ac. His wife's car (last time I talked to him) is an Odyssey with around half a million miles.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 1, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also in all fairness, 14 has to work on his cars while they're parked at the curb on city streets in the rain, and usually not even at his own house, and he's unemployed so his budget is crap, too.

On the other hand he has nothing but the finest of flashlights and snap-on hand tools, so that's really not an excuse, right?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

On the other hand he has nothing but the finest of flashlights and snap-on hand tools, so that's really not an excuse, right?

On the gripping hand, he probably owes a multidigit number of souls, on top of his own, on his unpaid balance to the Snap-On Man in exchange for those tools and flashlights, so...

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
As much as I love the milwaukee light obelisk of freedom, I can't help but wonder if its cost was greater than a new fuel pump for the causemaro.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Of course it was. 14" paid $60 for a hammer. A hammer I immediately found online for under $40, no less, but even that was excessive.

But hell, he also smokes, and a cigarette habit costs more than probably like two or three fuel pumps a month, at least. A man has his vices.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
shhhhh. Ye not speak poo poo of how a man earns his keep.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Paul's Letter to the Americans posted:

Let he who is without debt cast the first snide remark about a man's spending habits

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nah man that came out wrong, When I say "A man has his vices" I meant that to apply universally. I have certainly made an unwise purchase or ten in my time.

A man has his vices means do not be too unkind about it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

For the record I'm the one who bought the work light, not 14"

Seems likes making good progress this way way though. Should ha v e c an update later tonight, going to hopefully get the engine bolted in

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hey do you have any turn by turn directions for him from interstate or are y'all in touch?

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

The Eagle has landed indeed and closed the other thread for some reasons! Ok please let us know where we are to follow along at home next.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Five hours sleep, sit rep in the morning?

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

That's a good assumption. Amazing journey 14! Get some rest.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Awesome!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So when 14 showed up it was like this right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cq7hf4ylvY&t=413s

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I think he's earned an inch because of this.

All hail 15 Inchmortan Joe.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It has been told, the legends, that the one who would see this complete would arrive, against all odds.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

'The Night We Buried Road Dog' by Jack Cady posted:

I hear them claw the darkness, stretching lonesome at the sky, scatting across the eternal land; younger guys running as young guys must; chasing each other, or chasing the land of dreams, or chasing into ghost land while hoping it ain't true—guys running into darkness chasing each other, or chasing something—chasing road.

e. If there ever was a story for 14", this book is it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo the Heep made it :neckbeard:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Proof of life, thread is epic beyond all words

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Upon arrival he worships at the Tower of LIGHT!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 237 days!)

Two days, unlimited gas and oil.

I dunno.. where's my cockshot?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'll find my magnifying glass. :haw:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Seminal Flu posted:

This is the best thread.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If the Jeep is officially dead I want a piston and a quart of whatever is in the crankcase.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Jeep has found a new purpose in life and will begin the self healing process within minutes of arrival.

Either that or it'll fall apart like the Bluesmobile, leaving 14 in the middle of a field clutching a loose steering wheel.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Jeep has found a new purpose in life and will begin the self healing process within minutes of arrival.

Either that or it'll fall apart like the Bluesmobile, leaving 14 in the middle of a field clutching a loose steering wheel.

But it's a jeep. Are those both not the same thing?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It just drove the longest 1505 miles of its life, chugging gas and oil stabilizer. The plugs are probably fouled, and when you think about it, that means he should do plug wires because those are probably bad too. But hahaha, wait, the ignition coil's likely older than most highschoolers and the distributor could probably use a looking at and...

There's no way the horse ain't lame.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 2, 2016

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

It just drove the longest 1505 miles of its life, chugging gas and oil stabilizer. The plugs are probably fouled, and when you think about it, that means he should do plug wires because those are probably bad too. But hahaha, wait, the ignition coil's likely older than most highschoolers and the distributor could probably use a looking at and...

There's no way the horse ain't lame.

It's a jeep. 40$$ at a junkyard and a part sacrifice to the beast and all will be right.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

clam ache posted:

It's a jeep. Turn the radio up louder.

I think this is a more true statement.

Whatever you do, don't fix it, then it just rolls the dice and breaks something else.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jeeps are like dogs, if you wash them they will go looking for mud and poop of indeterminate origin to roll in. So just try and keep it fixed enough to run reliably but under no circumstances should you ever try to fix it completely.

What I'm saying is replace only the plugs that are fouled enough to misfire and put the remainder of the set in the center console.

What's current status on the truck? Any chance remaining of it leaving today?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 237 days!)

I hope that, being 14" involved, this truck gets the drivetrain from the Jeep From Hell. It only makes sense!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Seminal Flu posted:

Is there a possibility of a plot twist, where 14 shows up after you've left to finish up and drive it home?

You've got the van there, so it qualifies as shelter. He can get that thing running, I have faith in that.

Júdica Dómine nocéntes me; expúgna impugnántes me.
Confundántur et revereántur quaeréntes ánimam meam.
Avertántur retrórsum et confundántur, cogitántes míhi mála.
Fíant táamquam púlvis ante fáciem vénti: et Ángelus Dómini coárctans eos.
Fiat via illórum ténebrae, et lúbricum: et Ángelus Dómini pérsequens eos.
Quóniam grátis abscondérunt míhi intéritum láquei sui: supervácue exprobravérunt ánimam meam.
Véniat illi láqueus quem ignórat; et cáptio quam abscóndit, aprehéndat eum: et in láqueum cádat in ipsum.
Ánima áutem mea exsultábit in Dómino: et delectábitur super salutári suo. Glória Pátri, et Fílio, et Spirítui Sancto.
Sícut érat in princípio et nunc et semper, et in saécula saéculórum.
Ave Satana

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

Well I found this, which seems to line up pretty much exactly with what I need.

http://www.4speedconversions.com/3725240.html

Won't arrive until it's too late, but it'll work.

Send it
Engine gasket set for the van (TBI is going to get gone through)
All I can think of for now
Also you explained it a few times but can you specifically make a post diagramming out the ball issues and where and how and use mspaint arrows or what not because jesus gently caress my mind is wrecked atm

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Man you are definitely gung-ho about getting started but maybe you should probably sleep for 12 or so hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Júdica Dómine nocéntes me; expúgna impugnántes me.
Confundántur et revereántur quaeréntes ánimam meam.
Avertántur retrórsum et confundántur, cogitántes míhi mála.
Fíant táamquam púlvis ante fáciem vénti: et Ángelus Dómini coárctans eos.
Fiat via illórum ténebrae, et lúbricum: et Ángelus Dómini pérsequens eos.
Quóniam grátis abscondérunt míhi intéritum láquei sui: supervácue exprobravérunt ánimam meam.
Véniat illi láqueus quem ignórat; et cáptio quam abscóndit, aprehéndat eum: et in láqueum cádat in ipsum.
Ánima áutem mea exsultábit in Dómino: et delectábitur super salutári suo. Glória Pátri, et Fílio, et Spirítui Sancto.
Sícut érat in princípio et nunc et semper, et in saécula saéculórum.
Ave Satana

What can I say... other than "I called it." ?

• Locked thread