Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

EVIL NOONER posted:

was software, etc the one with the colorful/rainbow sign

No.

Over time it got sort of purple with more modern design but generally looked like this. At one point they came out with horrid floppy disk name badges that I refused to wear. Little did I know that my wisp of dignity would soon be swept away by year after year of idiot employers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Neito posted:

Try not playing on any computer with a hamster wheel in it? I played it for a couple years and never had that issue.

Don't play dumb. Every zone in FFXIV is divided into 5-to-a-dozen separate areas with a loading screen between them. Even if they're quick loading screens, they're there. This was coming from my being used to WoW where you can go across an entire continent seamlessly.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Imagined posted:

Don't play dumb. Every zone in FFXIV is divided into 5-to-a-dozen separate areas with a loading screen between them. Even if they're quick loading screens, they're there. This was coming from my being used to WoW where you can go across an entire continent seamlessly.

that's a pretty big exaggeration, none of the zones have anywhere near a dozen separate areas, and the borders aren't really every twenty feet or whatever. They're pretty sizeable zones, and the expansion zones are much larger. Doesn't WoW have miles and miles of featureless empty areas anyway?

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Kelp Me! posted:

Doesn't WoW have miles and miles of featureless empty areas anyway?

not really

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

that's a pretty big exaggeration, none of the zones have anywhere near a dozen separate areas, and the borders aren't really every twenty feet or whatever. They're pretty sizeable zones, and the expansion zones are much larger. Doesn't WoW have miles and miles of featureless empty areas anyway?

"Twenty feet" is hyperbole, yes. But no, for all the bad things you could say about WoW, "empty" is not one of them. The zones are pretty much as full as FFXIV zones, except not artificially constrained by mountains and walls you can't cross, etc.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt until you complained about mountains and walls being impassible borders and now I just think you're quoting from the official forums

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
This isn't particularly relevant to this thread and it's becoming increasingly clear that I'm the only person in this conversation who's actually played both games so I'm going to stop talking about it.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Imagined posted:

This isn't particularly relevant to this thread and it's becoming increasingly clear that I'm the only person in this conversation who's actually played both games so I'm going to stop talking about it.

you would have been way less of a tool if you'd actually just shut up about your pissbaby poopsock games instead of writing a post declaring how you quit the conversation.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kelp Me! posted:

Wait no, they were IIGSes, not IIcs. Still pretty great though.

holy poo poo Rastan looked really good for a game from 1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iVu2GqrQJg

Data Graham posted:

Man, the IIgs was fuckin' legit.
I did not even understand this until like a decade later, but the IIGS/Macintosh dichotomy was why I started to dislike Steve Jobs. He seemingly stopped caring (if he ever really did) about how amazingly fun Apple II computers were as a gaming platform, and the IIGS was totally boss but I barely even knew it existed at the time and then suddenly the next thing I know it is a given that if you want to play games you need a Windows machine and then it was all over and as a result I never wanted another Apple product after ~1992.

Also I swear if any of you bring up WINE I will cry and tell my parents you are being mean. Maybe the issue is largely moot now, but I am not talking about now. I am talking about how the IIGS was awesome and should have been Apple's future :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

I did not even understand this until like a decade later, but the IIGS/Macintosh dichotomy was why I started to dislike Steve Jobs. He seemingly stopped caring (if he ever really did) about how amazingly fun Apple II computers were as a gaming platform, and the IIGS was totally boss but I barely even knew it existed at the time and then suddenly the next thing I know it is a given that if you want to play games you need a Windows machine and then it was all over and as a result I never wanted another Apple product after ~1992.

Also I swear if any of you bring up WINE I will cry and tell my parents you are being mean. Maybe the issue is largely moot now, but I am not talking about now. I am talking about how the IIGS was awesome and should have been Apple's future :(

Using IIGSes in school for several years was my first and only exposure to Macs for the longest time, and I remember the first time I was at someone's house and they had a Mac running OS5 or 6 and I was just like "what the gently caress is this poo poo"

Seeing the games on that thing was so depressing, based on the IIGS it never even occurred to me that Macs weren't every bit as good for gaming as PCs

I mean compare that Rastan video to ActRaiser, which came out the same year on the SNES, a completely dedicated gaming console:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUYTLQxJqCk

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Nov 2, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hell, Rastan looks reasonably close to the original arcade game, which was released in 1987, a year after the IIgs.

I know the IIgs version wasn't released until 1990, but the hardware was still 1986-spec. That's pretty good, and I assume you needed significantly newer hardware to play it on PC. The IIgs had the benefit of sharing the 68000 CPU family with the arcade machine, but it was clocked at less than 1/4th the cycles, and lacked the purpose-built nature.

I wish the Apple II line had continued instead of the Macintosh line. But Apple had two (three if you count the Lisa) competing mutually incompatible platforms. They needed to focus on one of them, and they chose the Mac.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Imagined posted:

They dropped PS3 support for the newest expansion so I'd be willing to bet that they'll be able to make bigger areas without constant loading screens now that they aren't being held back :~)

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

EVIL NOONER posted:

you would have been way less of a tool if you'd actually just shut up about your pissbaby poopsock games instead of writing a post declaring how you quit the conversation.
Why do you have such big anger issues? And why do you use tumblr insults, like an imbecile?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A+ post/av combo

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Non Serviam posted:

Why do you have such big anger issues? And why do you use tumblr insults, like an imbecile?

those are not tumblr insults lol. poopsock has been used on SA forever you chode

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Get out of here Nooner 2!

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Buca di Bepis posted:

Get out of here Nooner 2!

Okay I'm sorry I love you

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Holy poo poo Getright still exists http://www.headlightsw.com/

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No effing way :monocle:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I actually had some big utility program download fail on me earlier this year on a day when I was having connection issues and really needed to get it downloaded, and I thought for the first time since like 1999 that it would be nice to have a download manager. Thank goodness it still exists, I guess!

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Kelp Me! posted:

Holy poo poo Getright still exists http://www.headlightsw.com/

Programs like that were basically the only way I could download demos and free games as a kid.

DINK SMALLWOOD FTW

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Remember when we called things that did stuff on computers "programs" instead of "apps"?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Remember when we called things that did stuff on computers "programs" instead of "apps"?

Yes I remember a second ago. :smugmrgw:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

EVIL NOONER posted:

those are not tumblr insults lol. poopsock has been used on SA forever you chode

Yeah, that predates Tumblr by at least 3-4 years. Poopsocking was a big part of playing Everquest according to the threads from that era.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I think the only insult tumblr is known for is calling someone cis white male like it's a bad thing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If I was sitting in front of my computer all day eating junk food and playing games, well I don't think I'd trust a sock to hold my poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

If I was sitting in front of my computer all day eating junk food and playing games, well I don't think I'd trust a sock to hold my poo poo.

I wear rubber wading pants.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think the poopsock is a tech relic. I'm all about the poopshoe nowadays.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

One of my former students was known for making GBS threads his family's coffee table when playing video games.

Also found an old HAM radio vacuum tube and a couple TV tubes in the storage room today that were left over from when the school had an electricity class.

Kirk Vikernes has a new favorite as of 01:41 on Nov 3, 2016

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

we are the Funyuns posted:

One of my former students was known for making GBS threads his family's coffee table when playing video games.

... what?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

I'm guessing that goes hand in hand with pissing in a coke bottle.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Well, poopsocking was brought up and it's basically the same thing minus the socks.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Keeps it off the carpet I guess, see he's being considerate

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

we are the Funyuns posted:

Don't dox me tia.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

We still do, applications are a subset of programs that the user directly interacts with to complete a task. Word is an application, bind is a program.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Unless you were pirating where most sites or blogs that listed that stuff called any general program "apps".

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

We still do, applications are a subset of programs that the user directly interacts with to complete a task. Word is an application, bind is a program.

:stuffs u in a locker:

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

WebDog posted:

Unless you were pirating where most sites or blogs that listed that stuff called any general program "apps".

I believe you mean appz. Those were used for productivity, unlike gamez which were for fun. Also, warez is pronounced "juarez" according to sixteen year old me from 1996.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yes I remember a second ago. :smugmrgw:

probably closer to ten years now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
The first time I ever heard people talking about apps was with their iPhone when those first came out. I just assumed it was some cutsie apple specific term, especially since app... Apple.

And those stupid commercials. "THERE IS AN APP, FOR THAT!"

Little did I know that before long it would be the standard word for computer program. The nightmare has become reality.