Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Vargatron posted:

Thank you for triggering the gently caress out of me today.

I recognize that it's well within your right as a parent to name your child whatever you want, but choosing a SUPER SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE NAME is dumb in my opinion.

Then again, names are a social construct anyway, but still this poo poo just sets me off.

I mostly unironically agree, let's go with old names.

Kali Jones. Ravana Smith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I loving love that costume.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

JVNO posted:

It takes a very repugnant kind of person to make a joke like that; especially if you realize those vanishingly few cases of late term abortions occur for wanted children. Literally shaming women who had to abort to save their life.

Literally nobody waits until month 7/8 and says 'Oh yeah I just don't want this kid anymore'

Some what related, if you're a woman, make sure you never go to a "religious" hospital.

Also if you're a man, don't go either because they're probably ignore your living will.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Gallery's deleted.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

PhazonLink posted:

Some what related, if you're a woman, make sure you never go to a "religious" hospital.

Also if you're a man, don't go either because they're probably ignore your living will.

When my wife moved here when she was pregnant, we went looking for someplace to continue her prenatal care. A friend recommended a clinic run by a Catholic organization. When we were first trying to sign up, she said some things that may have suggested that she would get an abortion if there were a problem with the fetus. (Not explicitly, just really anxious about finding out if there was anything wrong with the fetus, like first and foremost.)

We needed to sign up for medicaid before they'd see her. The guy who was helping us (because if you're an immigrant it is ridiculously difficult and was actually impossible to do without calling people on unpublished supervisor support lines at the time) strung us along for weeks before we gave up and went somewhere else, where we got the medicaid application done in about an hour and a half, and signed up with a different (secular) clinic across town in minutes.

I can't prove that they were screwing around and withholding care because of religious bullshit, but it sure looked that way to me. Never again.

(The baby was fine, BTW)

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

quote:

Religious hospitals loving around and wasting time.

This is the main reason why I have a huge problem with allowing the states to put a time limit on abortion. (Example, making abortion illegal after 25 weeks.) Because all it does is give anti-choice jackasses a time limit to stall for and a motivation/incentive to pass obstructive and burdensome TRAP laws designed solely to shut down clinics and make women waste time so they naturally fall out of the time frame for legal abortion.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Gallery's deleted.

She does have a Facebook page for Cap and some other cosplays she's done.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SalTheBard posted:

Ms. Marvel

Didn't Red Skull run for office recently and all of his speeches were made up of excerpts from anti-migrant alt right speeches from Europe and America?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fulchrum posted:

Didn't Red Skull run for office recently and all of his speeches were made up of excerpts from anti-migrant alt right speeches from Europe and America?

No you're thinking of Donald Trump.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

No you're thinking of Donald Trump.

Nah, found it. Here it is. It's like if Trump could speak at more than a third grade level

When pressed about it, Marvel basically said that Red Skull has always been a Nazi, and it's not their fault white readers are beginning to think the Nazis had some good ideas.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Jenner posted:

This is the main reason why I have a huge problem with allowing the states to put a time limit on abortion. (Example, making abortion illegal after 25 weeks.) Because all it does is give anti-choice jackasses a time limit to stall for and a motivation/incentive to pass obstructive and burdensome TRAP laws designed solely to shut down clinics and make women waste time so they naturally fall out of the time frame for legal abortion.

Late term abortions are very important if needed. For instance if the baby is going to be born into a short life of suffering, or the mother is in danger of death. But conservatives persist in misunderstanding them as murdering healthy babies for giggles. And they are the very people who will be most reluctant about paying for the expenses of a severely disabled child, or the raising of children who lost their mother in childbirth.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
What scientific backing went into not allowing late term abortions? I have a former high school friend that is anti abortion but all of her "evidence" is purely scripture. Another thing is apparently they call themselves abolitionists which is pretty disgusting to me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most of it revolves around whether the fetus can feel pain at that stage in development.

But if a fetus can feel pain then surely squishing it like a toothpaste tube through the most powerful muscles in the body for hours on end without anesthesia must be absolutely excruciating, but I don't see them even mentioning that.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What scientific backing went into not allowing late term abortions? I have a former high school friend that is anti abortion but all of her "evidence" is purely scripture. Another thing is apparently they call themselves abolitionists which is pretty disgusting to me.

It's purely emotional appeal ... it's easier to get people uncomfortable about late-term abortions than about having a one-month-old fetus removed, let alone a blastocyst.

For anti-abortion folks, bans on late-term abortions are the thin edge of a wedge. If they can't ban abortion outright, they'll weigh it down with so many exceptions, requirements, and limitations that it'll be practically impossible to get one.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Gallery's deleted.

I found this though I'm not sure it's the same gallery even though it's by the same person.

http://imgur.com/gallery/dsvlK

ChristopherRobin fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 2, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Fulchrum posted:

Red Skull is reforming New Hydra as a very obvious Neo Nazi movement rather than the weird Technocracy it was in the previous iterations.

It is Loki who has a new series where he runs for President. His platform is he is the God of Lies and ergo you can trust him to lie to your face because it's clearly defined how and when he will lie, compared to poli's who you can't trust.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

ChristopherRobin posted:

I found this though I'm not sure it's the same gallery even though it's by the same person.

http://imgur.com/gallery/dsvlK

Checking her Facebook, she did a lot of other neat costumes too, creatively integrating her hijab into them. Not surprisingly, a lot of comic book characters wear hoods/headgear or have goofy hair anyway. Not sure if she did Elsa but I've seen an Elsa with a yellow hijab for the 'hair' and it was pretty neat.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gridlocked posted:

Red Skull is reforming New Hydra as a very obvious Neo Nazi movement rather than the weird Technocracy it was in the previous iterations.

It is Loki who has a new series where he runs for President. His platform is he is the God of Lies and ergo you can trust him to lie to your face because it's clearly defined how and when he will lie, compared to poli's who you can't trust.
Eh. Worked for Nixon.

Did anyone point out that he's ineligible under the US Constitution?

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Fulchrum posted:

Eh. Worked for Nixon.

Yeah, you go ahead and tell that to the God of chaos.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Didn't stop Obama! Luckily Trump got to the bottom of that and proved he was a citizen

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Fulchrum posted:

Eh. Worked for Nixon.

Yes he points out that his current incarnation was legally born in America thus legally making him an American citizen.

He ends up losing the election after a press conference where he accidentally shows he has no real polices or plans in place for running the country, just broad sweeping ideas that sound good to the majority of voters.

Then as kicker we find out he was working with one of the other candidates to cause enough of a kerfuffle to have some people rethink their votes and redistribute them so things end up more even to boost their chances of winning the real race.

It is totally NOT a dig a Trump or the political climate of America at the moment. Totally. Marvel refute any suggestion that it is.

Honestly even if you are not a Marvel/comics fan if you can get a hold of the run of Vote Loki you will find it to be a fairly good tongue-in-cheek commentary.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gridlocked posted:

Yes he points out that his current incarnation was legally born in America thus legally making him an American citizen.
Yeah but citizen or not, he's still a God. Gods can't legally run for President under the US Constitution, it would violate the Establishment Clause.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fulchrum posted:

Eh. Worked for Nixon.

He was probably on AmErican shores long before any British colonists.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

Eh. Worked for Nixon.

Loki was a US citizen when the Constitution was adopted, though. Read American Gods.

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah but citizen or not, he's still a God. Gods can't legally run for President under the US Constitution, it would violate the Establishment Clause.

As long as he doesn't try to privilege Astaru above other faiths, I think he's in the clear there.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Deicide is a moral good anyway.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Loki is a citizen of Oklahoma and therefore ineligible to run for president.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Loki is a citizen of Oklahoma and therefore ineligible to run for president.

Is Valhalla still in Oklahoma? I thought it got moved sometime with Civil War.

Those two sentences must be very confusing for a non comic book reader.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Whoa, did you read my mind or something? I was just coming in to ask what this DaPL thing was about since I'd heard bits and pieces about it but I wasn't sure about anything concrete. And- trust me- as a god-hating, heathenic, liberal, I'm always looking for any reason to hate white people, but I just wanted to be sure that this one was warrented.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

RareAcumen posted:

Whoa, did you read my mind or something? I was just coming in to ask what this DaPL thing was about since I'd heard bits and pieces about it but I wasn't sure about anything concrete. And- trust me- as a god-hating, heathenic, liberal, I'm always looking for any reason to hate white people, but I just wanted to be sure that this one was warrented.

It's one of those issues where, regardless of how you feel about the issue of oil and pipelines, the appalling handling of the situation by the private contractors and local police, on top of the mostly silent reaction from political leaders; should have you up in arms over the whole ordeal. In reality, what has happened is that pro-oil people have been completely silent on the issue, because they don't want to come across as supporting the rights of people who they disagree with; though there are some idiots dumb enough to actually be rooting on the violence against the protesters (though thankfully nobody I'm still friends with on Facebook has yet been that crass).

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RareAcumen posted:

I was skeptical too based on the portion of my Facebook connections that adopted the issue. It was heavily dominated by newly 'woke' Bernie Stein supporters who basically believe anything that validates their worldview.

Seems like it's actually a real issue though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I was skeptical too based on the portion of my Facebook connections that adopted the issue. It was heavily dominated by newly 'woke' Bernie Stein supporters who basically believe anything that validates their worldview.

Seems like it's actually a real issue though.

I first got exposed to the news from a blog I follow on tumblr- that's probably not too accurate, after seeing that there was a study on how truthful the stuff conservative websites and liberal ones post. Stuff like Occupy Democrats and LL101 I think.- framing it as how white terrorism is basically invisible, since those Bundy morons got off scot free and the Standing Rock Tribe were met with like riot gear and sound cannons and other crazy over the top weaponry for completely unarmed people.

Anyway, since that question got sniped from under my feet before I even got in here, what's the deal with that whole 'Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative thing?'

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RareAcumen posted:

Anyway, since that question got sniped from under my feet before I even got in here, what's the deal with that whole 'Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative thing?'

Re: Cause and Effect
I hate the Effects, but goddamn, I love the Causes.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

RareAcumen posted:

Basic College Libertarian line for "I want to sound politically nuanced without having to put much thought into it."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Re: Cause and Effect
I hate the Effects, but goddamn, I love the Causes.

YF19pilot posted:

Basic College Libertarian line for "I want to sound politically nuanced without having to put much thought into it."

Okay. Now, pretend I am also a Libertarian and need things broken down to a 5th Grade level because I am an idiot.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

YF19pilot posted:

"Of course we shouldn't have people taking racist or sexist criminal actions! Of course we shouldn't have companies creating and contributing to environmental problems! Of course we shouldn't have neighbors without access to affordable world-class education and healthcare!

...I just don't think we should spend any money to fix those things, is all"

Typically those guys are the target demo for budget-cut fetish fluff pieces attacking tiny grants and uninteresting-sounding academic studies, yet rarely seen interested in cuts to military spending. Like they imagine somewhere buried deep in the technocratically-oriented Democratic party's platform is "Spend a bunch of money on really dumb stuff!!"

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

sweart gliwere posted:

"Of course we shouldn't have people taking racist or sexist criminal actions! Of course we shouldn't have companies creating and contributing to environmental problems! Of course we shouldn't have neighbors without access to affordable world-class education and healthcare!

...I just don't think we should spend any money to fix those things, is all"

Typically those guys are the target demo for budget-cut fetish fluff pieces attacking tiny grants and uninteresting-sounding academic studies, yet rarely seen interested in cuts to military spending. Like they imagine somewhere buried deep in the technocratically-oriented Democratic party's platform is "Spend a bunch of money on really dumb stuff!!"

The latter half of what you're talking about is a neocon.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

RareAcumen posted:

Basically FYGM but without the social conservatism and federal enforcement of that conservatism.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
And to be undeservedly fair to libertarians, some of them are decent people who would use Rawlsian moral reasoning in their politics, but fail to understand that not everyone has a rich grandfather or uncle to help them out in times of need.

CowHammer
Feb 18, 2013
Speaking of DAPL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

gently caress these parents:

In 96 I was in High School and dressed up as Bob Dole, because I thought Norm MacDonald was funny as him on Saturday Night Live. I don't remember if my parents cared one way or another.