Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RickVoid posted:

Yeeessssss.

Space Gun + A Number of Gems could produce a Space Gun with improved damage and knockback, with a higher mana cost. Laser color/damage/mana cost changes based on the gems used, like how the various staves work.

That's the laser rifle, minus the excess near duplicate items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Has anyone found a mod that makes all base game weapons auto use?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Since my last post, I have obtained three important things, an Onyx Blaster, a Yo-yo Bag, and a set of wings.

And died a few times to Skeleton Prime being a huge dick and spawning randomly at night.

Working on finding enough adamantite to make the Frost armor set and then I'll probably start killing the drat bosses.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Besides the Shadow Key and the Tally Counter do I need to search the dungeon for anything else specific or is it done until I switch to Hardmode?

Also, is fishing a PITA as much as it sounds? I'm thinking about just cheating in the Fish Finder and be pretty much done with it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

HardDiskD posted:

Besides the Shadow Key and the Tally Counter do I need to search the dungeon for anything else specific or is it done until I switch to Hardmode?

Also, is fishing a PITA as much as it sounds? I'm thinking about just cheating in the Fish Finder and be pretty much done with it.

Nazar, Cobalt Shield, Muramasa, Magic Missile. Nazar and Cobalt Shield are Ankh Shield components (immunity to most status effects). Muramasa makes Night's Edge and then Terra Blade, which is ridiculous. Magic Missile makes Sky Fracture, the magic counterpart to the Onyx Blaster.

Fishing is kinda blah. If you buy the expensive as hell 40% pole and make a bunch of enchanted nightcrawlers on rainy days it might not be THAT bad but I'd cheat in most of the angler rewards. You can skip most of pre-hardmode by fishing and then jump straight to the mechanical bosses if you fish up a reaver shark and hoard a bunch of crates to open once hardmode starts.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 29, 2016

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

HardDiskD posted:

It's not that fishing is particularly a PITA, it just takes loving forever across a period of days (ingame or otherwise), and the rewards are completely RNG. I mean, that's the prime example of a PITA, but it's a different kind of PITA.

tl;dr just cheat in the poo poo.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Fishing really depends on the person... I find it rather zen. It's the angler quest system that sucks.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Ambaire posted:

Fishing really depends on the person... I find it rather zen. It's the angler quest system that sucks.

This, so much. Fishing in the game can be pretty relaxing. It's not really a minigame, and you can just kinda chill out and listen to podcasts or whatever while you're doing it. But only being able to complete 1 quest every real world 24 minutes is beyond awful. It's why I do all of my fishing quest expeditions on a single player "server" through tshock. Being able to type "/time 0429" every time you finish a quest is great.

Plus it's the only sane way to get that stupid 200 fishing quests achievement. Doing it legit and getting a new quest every 24 minutes, it would take you more than four straight days to finish it.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Fishing is actually pretty cool. It's the fishing quests that are PITA. Some good items can only be received from the POS angler. And only rarely. Things like the sextant, or fishing log thing that are needed for making the cell phone. Also the fishing quest achievments, good God. I literally have every single steam achievement unlocked, but this one is still throwing a middle finger at me.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could do more than 1 quest a day. It sucks that there's no way to speed up this slow as poo poo process.

Actually, is there a way you can mod how fast days go?

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 30, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Fishing is actually pretty cool. It's the fishing quests that are PITA. Some good items can only be received from the POS angler. And only rarely. Things like the sextant, or fishing log thing that are needed for making the cell phone. Also the fishing quest achievments, good God. I literally have every single steam achievement unlocked, but this one is still throwing a middle finger at me.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could do more than 1 quest a day. It sucks that there's no way to speed up this slow as poo poo process.

Actually, is there a way you can mod how fast days go?

Red Cloud had an item that advanced day to night and back so I'm sure it's possible. Or you can a fake multiplayer game with tshock and /time your way out of that poo poo.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Swatted the Destroyer with an Onyx Blaster and went and grabbed some shark fins for my Megashark. I cannot find enough Adamantite to make the goddamn Frost Armor and it's making me mad. Is there any way to get more besides making another world for it? I can't find any more corruption altars to smash and I can't find any more pockets of it.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

theshim posted:

Swatted the Destroyer with an Onyx Blaster and went and grabbed some shark fins for my Megashark. I cannot find enough Adamantite to make the goddamn Frost Armor and it's making me mad. Is there any way to get more besides making another world for it? I can't find any more corruption altars to smash and I can't find any more pockets of it.

I think you can fish for crates with it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

theshim posted:

TBH you don't NEED frost armor. It's a sidegrade that does more dps and adds frostburn to melee and ranged attacks at the cost of a few defense points. Kill Destroyer a few times and make hallowed armor out of the bars he drops (or move on to the other mechanical bosses).

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Hardmode isn't loving around isn't it.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

HardDiskD posted:

Don't be a big dumb idiot moron like me and do it with a fresh save, because you're not supposed to.

It's still pretty tough but not unmanageably brutal with a late-game normal mode character.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

theshim posted:

Drink a spelunker potion and just hookshot your way across the ceiling of hell. You'll see tons of deposits.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

HardDiskD posted:

I started an expert mode run with my friends and got to hard mode for the first time yesterday. We broke an altar the first day and cleared the hallow that went through our base. On our second night The Destroyer spawned and killed us constantly as we spawned since we didn't have a chance to craft all the gear we needed.
The third night the pirate invasion came and we died a ton then too.

Loving hard mode so far since the enemies are more interesting and all the fun stuff is available. We farmed in the Underworld and near a sky lake to craft wings for each of us.

Any tips for what weapons, armor and HP we should have for the Destroyer? We have two ranged players and a magic player.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

damnfan posted:

Any tips for what weapons, armor and HP we should have for the Destroyer? We have two ranged players and a magic player.

400 hp and adamantite/titanium/frost armor. Onyx Blasters + crystal bullets, Daedalus Stormbows + Holy Arrows (the one true option, kills it in seconds), Dart Rifle/Pistol with Crystal/Cursed Darts. For magic: Medusa Head, Clinger Staff, Nimbus Rod, Shadowflame Hex Doll, Life Drain, Magic Dagger, Meteor Staff, or Spirit Flame.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 1, 2016

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

HardDiskD posted:

Hardmode's not too bad once you get a tier or two into it. It can be rough to start if you didn't prepare (eg, pre-fish a bunch of crates or prep a bunch of spelunker potions for ores), but after you get into the 2nd tier of stuff it's not too bad.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

damnfan posted:

I started an expert mode run with my friends and got to hard mode for the first time yesterday. We broke an altar the first day and cleared the hallow that went through our base. On our second night The Destroyer spawned and killed us constantly as we spawned since we didn't have a chance to craft all the gear we needed.
The third night the pirate invasion came and we died a ton then too.

Loving hard mode so far since the enemies are more interesting and all the fun stuff is available. We farmed in the Underworld and near a sky lake to craft wings for each of us.

IMO a proper arena is more important than your equipment unless you're using horribly out of date stuff, keep some solid walls to stop the bots from shooting you in back and enough space to stop the Destroyer from ramming its entire length into your fighting area and the battle's half won. Beyond that, keep a Crimson/Nimbus Rod cloud up constantly, even for the ranged players, it's a huge damage multiplier for next to no effort.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I was having a great time with a fresh character on an Expert world, but then I got to the Underworld and realized that lava bats, demons and the other demons were twice as deadly.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

Don't be a big dumb idiot moron like me and do it with a fresh save, because you're not supposed to.

It's still pretty tough but not unmanageably brutal with a late-game normal mode character.

I'd like to disagree with that. I had a lot of fun doing good a fresh save with expert. The initial start was a pain I. The rear end and Medusa sucked but beyond that it was fun.

I'm no dark souls fan either. I just liked the shear panic at trying to keep myself alive in some situations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Prop Wash posted:

I was having a great time with a fresh character on an Expert world, but then I got to the Underworld and realized that lava bats, demons and the other demons were twice as deadly.

I got used to expert mode underworld with a little practice, but for the life of me I cannot beat Skeletron :negative:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Well, this is a weird rear end crossover but free content is free content. Looks like some new traps at the very least.

http://www.pcgamer.com/terraria-and-dungeon-defenders-2-content-crossover-announced-for-later-this-year/

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
New stuff!!! Can't be disappointed with that.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
Thanks for the help guys! Once we got into a couple tiers of armor and weapons we went all the way to golem.

Golem and Plantera were definitely easier than the mech bosses the first time. The dungeon is kicking our asses now. Our first adventure post Plantera there we accidentally killed the lunatic cultists unaware of what was going to happen and hilarious died to his wyvern.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Beat the mech bosses, now Plantera is smacking me around. I should probably just make some hallowed armor already.

Is there a way to track down bulbs easily? A bit annoying having to track them down.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
They show up on the minimap, but building long tunnels in the jungle provides more surface area of easily accessible space for potential spawns

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

theshim posted:

Beat the mech bosses, now Plantera is smacking me around. I should probably just make some hallowed armor already.

Is there a way to track down bulbs easily? A bit annoying having to track them down.

Once you've beaten all 3 mech bosses, you can mine chlorophyte- it's one step better than hallowed.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Fizbin posted:

Once you've beaten all 3 mech bosses, you can mine chlorophyte- it's one step better than hallowed.
Yeah, but 6 ore a bar takes forever to accrue any decent amount, and I've still got all the hallowed bars lying around. Really just thinking out loud there.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Chlorophyll can grow.

If you set up some seeded mud blocks next to your hellavator (see the wiki) then you can just gather some every trip underground

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

theshim posted:

Yeah, but 6 ore a bar takes forever to accrue any decent amount, and I've still got all the hallowed bars lying around. Really just thinking out loud there.

With a mining potion and a spelunker potion, you should be able to mine the 350 you need in <10 min, plus you find life fruit too. Also, you'll need to start mining it anyways, since the next tier of armor also takes it.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Chlorophyll can grow.

If you set up some seeded mud blocks next to your hellavator (see the wiki) then you can just gather some every trip underground

So much this. Get a bunch of mud (Or dirt and craft them near water. God loving knows you have 1000+ dirt blocks if you didn't just toss them all) and a few pieces of chlorophite, "plant" them in the mud and just let the game idle for a little bit while it grows. You'll also need a ton of Chlorophite for later armors, so get to farming it now, rather than later.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kemix posted:

So much this. Get a bunch of mud (Or dirt and craft them near water. God loving knows you have 1000+ dirt blocks if you didn't just toss them all) and a few pieces of chlorophite, "plant" them in the mud and just let the game idle for a little bit while it grows. You'll also need a ton of Chlorophite for later armors, so get to farming it now, rather than later.

Not to mention that Chlorophyte Bullets are The loving Best. If you want to go all the way to the very end of the game I'd recommend at least a small Chlorophyte farm. I prefer putting mine in the underworld/hell itself, but it's not necessary.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

No Safe Word posted:

Not to mention that Chlorophyte Bullets are The loving Best. If you want to go all the way to the very end of the game I'd recommend at least a small Chlorophyte farm. I prefer putting mine in the underworld/hell itself, but it's not necessary.

Usually I recommend the low tier armor videos in my post history in this thread (I'm on a phone but click the question mark under my avatar, I went from being helpless against mechanical bosses to finishing the moon lord multiple times)

But fast bosses like duke fishron are probably barely even possible to solo without homing capabilities of chlorophhte bullets. I haven't played the game in a long while so there's probably magic options or some option from repitively dying to holiday events like every else recommends, but the chlorophyte is right there.

E: Demizes solo guides and ymir's speedruns

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 7, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The best chlorophyte farm is big floating blocks of mud down in hell, generally above the hellbridge you probably already built, spaced about 1 screen width apart. Put 1 chlorophyte ore in the middle to seed and you're good to go. They'll grow really fast and reliably, to the point you'll have more than you know what to do with in short order.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Man ya'll talking about building chlorophyte farms, I don't get it. Flying around the jungle plowing through walls with mining and spelunker potions and a high-end pick/drill is pretty much the most fun you can have in this game. After all that slow, gradual digging with regular picks it's just so satisfying.

The best chlorophyte farm is the jungle of a fresh large world you just rush the wall and mech bosses in.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ended up finding some more Chlorophyte, making a set of armor, and completely forgetting to buff before summoning Plantera :gibs:

Then I remembered to the next time and it was a slaughter. Also had a couple biome keys lying around so I nabbed the Scourge and the Piranha chests. Murder murder murder!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

theshim posted:

Ended up finding some more Chlorophyte, making a set of armor, and completely forgetting to buff before summoning Plantera :gibs:

Then I remembered to the next time and it was a slaughter. Also had a couple biome keys lying around so I nabbed the Scourge and the Piranha chests. Murder murder murder!

Shame it's a corrupt world because the crimson chest item is hilariously overpowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ali Aces posted:

Man ya'll talking about building chlorophyte farms, I don't get it. Flying around the jungle plowing through walls with mining and spelunker potions and a high-end pick/drill is pretty much the most fun you can have in this game. After all that slow, gradual digging with regular picks it's just so satisfying.

The best chlorophyte farm is the jungle of a fresh large world you just rush the wall and mech bosses in.
On a multiplayer server this gets considerably more tedious and less fun, thus the farm.