Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

simplefish posted:

Wow some amateurs all up in this thread.

Why would you go to 2.5999 when you can go 2.5.1.1.2?

2.5.1.1.2-snapshot-unstable-syphilitic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
I seriously can't even loving believe they aren't gonna get Star Marine out.

Like what the gently caress. I have a rockbottom opinion of CIG but this is so far below that. I thought for sure it'd be out (buggy) at citcon. I knew the second they turned 2.7 into 3.0 it was out of the question but SM I figured would be the "easy win" for CIG.

Disco says the Aniversary stream is just gonna be ship updates so the citizens aren't even gonna see the Sq42 demo they were "only days away from" at Citcon. I doubt they'll ever show it.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

AP posted:

S'ok I found it and have linked it, it was worth the search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYhUjsxVjGc

for posterity

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ha I missed that thanks.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
To "archive" 30 second parts of streams, use twitch's clip feature: http://bit.ly/2fEAVLg

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

One Ton Crock posted:

Yo, I'm gonna let you finish but real quick

SA been making fun of Star Citizen since the kickstarter. Making fun of obvious, impossible lies and calling this poo poo for almost 4 years now.

It's not fair to say "none of us suspected" or "none of us believed" when you were in the minority with $3000 of ship jpegs. If your personal attitude shift on Star Citizen happened around the time Derek got involved that's fine, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc7ywfd1qe8

Yeah each year he's on stage making some sort of statement like "It was working before the show", "that never happened before", "that wasn't supposed to do that".
And every year the crowd just eats it up.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TheLightPurges posted:

Like what the gently caress. I have a rockbottom opinion of CIG but this is so far below that. I thought for sure it'd be out (buggy) at citcon. I knew the second they turned 2.7 into 3.0 it was out of the question but SM I figured would be the "easy win" for CIG.

Disco says the Aniversary stream is just gonna be ship updates so the citizens aren't even gonna see the Sq42 demo they were "only days away from" at Citcon. I doubt they'll ever show it.

Wasn't Roberts supposed to show us a tour of the Idris like 6 months ago?

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
In Star Citizen, will we be able to buy a spanner from a tool shop, and use it to undo bolts on an enemy ship's landing gear, and make it crash the next time it touches down? Will the game need us to tighten all our ship's fittings inside and out every 500 flying hours, to prevent mechanical problems, and metal fatigue from flexing under realistic g forces? No other game has such fidelity. It's groundbreaking.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Mr Fronts posted:

In Star Citizen, will we be able to buy a spanner from a tool shop, and use it to undo bolts on an enemy ship's landing gear, and make it crash the next time it touches down? Will the game need us to tighten all our ship's fittings inside and out every 500 flying hours, to prevent mechanical problems, and metal fatigue from flexing under realistic g forces? No other game has such fidelity. It's groundbreaking.

Yes, yes.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Colostomy Bag posted:

Wasn't Roberts supposed to show us a tour of the Idris like 6 months ago?

The thing with Star Marine is literally no one expected it anymore. It was dead and just vaguely alluded too as a historical fuckup. Something only naysayers and goonies bring up. It was "already in the game".

Then Chris opened his mouth again. Like you only do that if its basically 100% done and as an "apology" for 2015's fuckups and evasions. But they had nothing.

TheLightPurges fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 2, 2016

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

AlbieQuirky posted:

Best! And belated congrats. Your baby is turbo-cute.

My parents are still dead, so my question is Ouija board or spirit medium?

oh dear

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I hope the countdown is to Derek telling us his new favorite pizza place

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Lazrin posted:

lol

nice meltdown

becoming a trend for you.

Becoming a trend? Derek's hand is always hovering over the SCRAM switch. It's part of the allure.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
They must be hard up for money because all those things including Star Marine and the Idris Walthrough but then disappear are always around sales times.

Did everyone forget that hour website presentation with all those fancy new features?

That's supposed to come out this year. Roberts said that's "something you can definitely expect this year".

Its November. December is mostly holiday. You aren't going to overhaul your entire website and add built in Discord++++many other features in a few weeks without major fuckups. Its not happening.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

TheLightPurges posted:

They are never going to get out any passable form of FPS relevant to their current work. If they went back to basics, and just started over with CryEngine, they could probably make a totally forgettable FPS on the base engine within the next year. Anything that involves their "StarEngine" modifications will always be too broken to release. Just look at how janky the game is now, and imagine shoving tight FPS cover mechanics, and everything else necessary to bring it up to the standards of even a mediocre modern shooter. I just can't see it ever happening.

Chris did a great job painting them into a corner, by promising Star Marine in the next update. They now either need to go back on that, or they are stuck in 2.5x until the impossible becomes a reality.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

I've been posting in the SC threads since summer 2013, during the GBS dobbie thread and the Imp zone period, I'm speaking in relation to the general attitude of posters in the thread at the time these things happened.

It might help if you lurked a bit to understand what's going on. You can find my 2013 posts if you want.

Edit to add, I think it's safe to say I had my own opinions before Derek got involved.

wow! I wasn't even making ANY noise back then :grin:

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

AP posted:

I've been posting in the SC threads since summer 2013, during the GBS dobbie thread and the Imp zone period, I'm speaking in relation to the general attitude of posters in the thread at the time these things happened.

It might help if you lurked a bit to understand what's going on. You can find my 2013 posts if you want.

Edit to add, I think it's safe to say I had my own opinions before Derek got involved.

Its almost 2017, 4 years later. And CIG is still going strong. Looks like you hosed up AP :grin:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TheLightPurges posted:

The thing with Star Marine is literally no one expected it anymore. It was dead and just vaguely alluded too as a historical fuckup. Something only naysayers and goonies bring up. It was "already in the game".

Then Chris opened his mouth again. Like you only do that if its basically 100% done and as an "apology" for 2015's fuckups and evasions. But they had nothing.

Then Ben opened his mouth and told Batgirl he'd actually played it. Which was a big fat lie.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Booblord Zagats posted:

I hope the countdown is to Derek telling us his new favorite pizza place

he posted a new blog this morning, is that it?

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/sc-scoop/#post-4757

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

TheLightPurges posted:

Its almost 2017, 4 years later. And CIG is still going strong. Looks like you hosed up AP :grin:

Looking back I made my first Star Citizen is Scientology joke in August 2013. I have wasted years of my life laughing at all this.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://twitter.com/_NekoStar/status/793816025343021056

Gentlemen, the most information anyone has had on the state of SM in 2 months.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

quote:

Bensday with Batgirl and Ben episode 62
Sep 27, 2016

@ 06:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drPXlgrrcA4

Batgirl
You have had an opportunity to PLAY and not talk about yet, STAR MARINE, that's gonna be coming to us in a few short weeks, I hope SOONER than that, but... since the EVOCATI doesn't have it I'm gonna say 'a few short weeks', um...

Ben Lesnick, Developer
(grins) fingers crossed!

Batgirl
Yeah, fingers crossed, I know how you go, there's always SOMETHING that'll keep it from coming out and we wanna know and make sure that it's ready to be TESTED and not just be BROKEN... so... I mean that's what we're DOING... um... but... but... even FPS in this game is more about SUPPORTING each other than just KILLING each other, what are your thoughts from the few hours that you got to spend in STAR MARINE?

Is that... am I getting that same feeling?

Ben Lesnick, Developer
EEee-yeah it's very team based... but uh... it... it's still that kinda FPS experience... definitely you fighting other PEOPLE. Uhh... I... I... I think it's more than just the GAMEPLAY with STAR CITIZEN, it's more... we have all these people behind the IDEA of doing FPS differently... an-ya-nuh nobody goes into... the latest BATTLEFIELD er... BATTLE... I keep calling... CALL OF DUTY saying, 'oh what, what kind of technological improvement is it', it's more... you know...

I don't know where I'm going with this...

But...

Duh... it... it feels like we have all these people with a FULL UNDERSTANDING of what goes into the GAME, ah... we... I think... which helps you a lot

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

Freespace 3

Privateer 3

I-War 3

Freelancer 2

would unironically donate to your kickstarter

not, like, more than :20bux: but still

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Daztek posted:

Yes, yes.

Well then, I'm buying two Polaris. I'll take a fin off one ship, and will load it in the cargo hold of the other ship - carry it as a spare. After battling pirates, I'll land on some unknown world, and get busy repairing the ship with my trusty spanner. This game is awesome! The sheer vision of it all.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

One Ton Crock posted:

Yo, I'm gonna let you finish but real quick

SA been making fun of Star Citizen since the kickstarter. Making fun of obvious, impossible lies and calling this poo poo for almost 4 years now.

It's not fair to say "none of us suspected" or "none of us believed" when you were in the minority with $3000 of ship jpegs. If your personal attitude shift on Star Citizen happened around the time Derek got involved that's fine, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc7ywfd1qe8

why do you post this from your 2016 account

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

why do you post this from your 2016 account

I assume he's either a permabanned GBS poster from the games thread invasion days or just a Citizen idiot that doesn't want Derek/us claiming credit for spotting a disaster. "everyone knew it was doomed"

This, this is what victory smells like.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

What is with them pointing to Battlefield or Call of Duty? Just shut the gently caress up about them holy poo poo.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

AP posted:

Looking back I made my first Star Citizen is Scientology joke in August 2013. I have wasted years of my life laughing at all this.

And to think that you haven't spoken to or called your family in that entire time. They're probably dead.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Conspiratiorist posted:

https://twitter.com/_NekoStar/status/793816025343021056

Gentlemen, the most information anyone has had on the state of SM in 2 months.

I didn't know nerf guns had that kind of long range, that's pretty impressive.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

either that link isn't right or he deleted it because lmao karma

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Man, the #3 thread on the sc subreddit right now is loving Cymelion of all people talking about being bored and worn out with the game.

And elsewhere on reddit he seems to be telling people that Star Citizen is amazing and everyone should check it out and pledge.

What a weird community...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Truga posted:

either that link isn't right or he deleted it because lmao karma

It's probably caught in the mod queue pending approval because of his low comment karma.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Mirificus posted:

It's probably caught in the mod queue pending approval because of his low comment karma.

The mod queue has mysteriously not approved any of my posts today. Strange must be a bug.

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5an202/discussionare_you_bored_or_impatient_judgement/d9i80fx/

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man I wonder how he feels about stuff like Battletech. Maybe they aren't open enough because they only have one weekly webcast instead of four...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nobody knows what the gently caress "open development" means because it's a bullshit marketing term CIG came up with to convince backers that they deluge of superfluous fluff they're seeing is somehow relevant or indicative of meaningful game progress.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I mean, think about it.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/793837382080532480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dante80 posted:

I mean, think about it.

This post is great. It starts off by admitting that nobody gives a poo poo about the ideas subforum anymore so he'd rather post it where people will notice (and thus give the mods an excuse to shove it back where it belongs). He then goes to bitch about something that absolutely nobody in their right mind should give a poo poo about for reasons that he emphasizes in this own words. By the end he basically abandons everything, hoping someone else will be inspired for a topic that he couldn't even care about long enough to finish one post.

• Locked thread