Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

When I used to teach and was doing a group project I would get them to type their names into the computer during class. If they did it in pinyin it would take about 5 minutes for 50 students, if they used characters it would take 30 minutes - 1 hour since they have to find the right character, realise that it isn't the correct character and that they can't spell their own name and repeat. I'd try to get them to use pinyin but if you have one kid use hanzi early on in the process everyone else will do it no matter how many times you tell them not to because that guy used characters so it means we should do it like that too.

That's got me wondering...

How popular is internet for aiding ESL education? Are students receptive to it as a selling point?

Haier posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/Hvnvb

Imgur album about Vietnamese children being sold or abducted into China for some hillbilly garbage to marry because a local Chinese girl won't do it.

oh dang

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Haier posted:

Imgur album about Vietnamese children being sold or abducted into China for some hillbilly garbage to marry because a local Chinese girl won't do it.

The dude that posted this is my new hero. Human trafficking is loving horrifying and it seems like no one gives a poo poo, so kudos to him for trying to raise awareness about it. I got pretty disgusted by a lot of people when I was on detachment in South Korea with the Navy because we were given a bunch of training on the subject and how supporting prostitution in the region will likely fund traffickers and people still went to the pink light district often. Our OIC (officer in charge) was even spotted there on multiple occasions. Way to set an example, sir.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Khorne posted:

Hangul kinda owns. It's no worse than the english alphabet.

Hanja and its ilk are garbage though. "Let's adopt our own great alphabet that makes lots of sense. Better introduce over 1,800 chinese characters to gently caress everything up"

Literally an attempt by the administrative upper class to gently caress the poors by making it more difficult again to read/write in an official capacity.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
What's this talk about it taking forever to type in Chinese? Maybe they are using the standard Windows pinyin instead of Google Pinyin?

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Haier posted:

Well now I'm depressed

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Same thing is prevalent in Nepal :smith:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

can we... can we just kill everyone who buys people? We've done it before, i feel like we can do it again.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Worst thing is that slavery/sex slavery is everywhere, including the US. It's pretty much the most low-profile major problem out there, and it is everywhere.

p.s. kill slavers

Edit:

quote:

Researchers estimate that 21 million are enslaved worldwide, generating $150 billion each year in illicit profits for traffickers.
  • Labor Slavery. About 78 percent toil in forced labor slavery in industries where manual labor is needed—such as farming, ranching, logging, mining, fishing, and brick making—and in service industries working as dish washers, janitors, gardeners, and maids.
  • Sex Slavery. About 22 percent are trapped in forced prostitution sex slavery.
  • Child Slavery. About 26 percent of today’s slaves are children.
Slavery today is a hidden crime, making it harder for the public to see and for those in slavery to call out for help.
http://www.freetheslaves.net/about-slavery/slavery-today/

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 2, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It was only a few years ago in Australia that a bunch of people were arrested on slavery charges.

loving slavery charges.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Accretionist posted:

Worst thing is that slavery/sex slavery is everywhere, including the US. It's pretty much the most low-profile major problem out there, and it is everywhere.

p.s. kill slavers

Edit:

http://www.freetheslaves.net/about-slavery/slavery-today/

I take a small solace in the fact that the scale seems to top around 1% and not 50.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Boiled Water posted:

I take a small solace in the fact that the scale seems to top around 1% and not 50.

For the most part anyway.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Very rarely am I pleasantly surprised by my country of Iran.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Outrail posted:

For the most part anyway.

:smith:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Very rarely am I pleasantly surprised by my country of Iran.

I wouldn't be. Given that Qatar isn't the darkest spot on the map their definition of slavery probably doesn't include migrant workers who have their passports seized and then worked to death for a pittance.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

You can really just bold most of the Wikipedia article

Mauritania

Population: 4,067,564
Slavery: 4%
Slaves: 155,600

Mauritania suffers from several human rights issues,[12] including slavery, where an estimated roughly 4% (155,600 people) of the country's population are being enslaved against their will, especially enemies of the government...Slavery persists in Mauritania. Although nominally abolished in 1981, it was not illegal to own slaves until 2007...The government of Mauritania denies that slavery continues in the country...According to some estimates, up to 600,000 Mauritanians, or 20% of the population, are still enslaved...

Obstacles to ending slavery in Mauritania include:
- Belief that slavery is part of the natural order of this society.

fake edit: I'm assuming the 0.56 was a land mine victim.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pentyne posted:

I wouldn't be. Given that Qatar isn't the darkest spot on the map their definition of slavery probably doesn't include migrant workers who have their passports seized and then worked to death for a pittance.

Not just Qatar. That happens in Bahrain, UAE, and Saudi Arabia as well.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Haier posted:

Holy poo poo the video is infuriating: https://vimeo.com/180550106 (password is 'thankyou', from the end of that album)

Go to 8:35. They just kidnap them in broad daylight.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

pentyne posted:

Just let me have this.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
what is alcohol culture like in china , sounds like Korea and Japan have them beat . do Chinese men drink a lot ? do they drink with their boss and coworkers ?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's a weird mix of really watery beer and really pungent liquor. i don't think it's as extreme as in japan or korea in that i only ever saw one guy in a suit barfing on the sidewalk at 8am

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mozi posted:

it's a weird mix of really watery beer and really pungent liquor. i don't think it's as extreme as in japan or korea in that i only ever saw one guy in a suit barfing on the sidewalk at 8am

salarymen probably aren't as prevalent since china is so much bigger . I'm not sure tho so I will leave it up to the Chinese experts

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ok. So Duterte has been pretty funny for a while but his insane rhetoric and extra judicial killings have become scary. We've halted the sale of 26000 small arms to them because of the killings.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Glenn Quebec posted:

Ok. So Duterte has been pretty funny for a while but his insane rhetoric and extra judicial killings have become scary. We've halted the sale of 26000 small arms to them because of the killings.

who would stop the sale of millions of dollars worth of weapons ? somebody who doesn't care about the bottom line of the company !

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Pon de Bundy posted:

who would stop the sale of millions of dollars worth of weapons ? somebody who doesn't care about the bottom line of the company !

It's true ever since we left page 88 of the thread we have lost the lucky and sight of what really matters

Money over everything

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pon de Bundy posted:

what is alcohol culture like in china , sounds like Korea and Japan have them beat . do Chinese men drink a lot ? do they drink with their boss and coworkers ?

I didn't see anything consistent while there. The beer and liquor was way cheaper than anywhere else I've seen -- so cheap that I often think I'm misremembering the prices -- like a 1L beer being about 0.75 USD but fifty cents of that being deposit on the bottle, or maybe it was even half that? And the beer was absolutely fine too, nothing amazing, just a decent, drinkable lager.

There were also five gallon plastic drums of liquor in the store with ditto-printed labels that were almost free.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yet we still fund the Yemeni genocide by the Saudis lol

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
In a place that's faking rice, how likely is it that you actually drank beer and not some cheap industrial ethanol with some piss added.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pon de Bundy posted:

There's a huge difference between the north or rural areas and the south. North Eastern China is just Korean levels of bad where dudes are BRO and 哥們兒兒兒兒兒兒 as gently caress and chug baijiu. Everyone drinks as in the mom, the dad, the daughter, and the aunts drink poo poo loads of alcohol because winters there are just miserable.

In the south it's way more tame. You do get baijiu fueled business meetings and KTV nights but you can weasel your way out of it. The alcohol abuse gets worse the more related the business is to a government body. Be it licensing/contracting/permits/bureaucracy.

I would say the "defacto" national beer is Tsing Tao which is a Germany Lager legacy. The original factory and brewery in QingDao still imports wheat from Germany and make Okay lager. Everywhere else in China is just contracted brewing where rice is the major ingredient like Budweiser. There's also a craft brewery scene in the major cities because you can get cheap industrial brewing equipment from tao bao.

As for non beers, there's different kind of rice wine but not as meticulous as Korean soju culture. You get yellow wine in Eastern China which tastes pretty good and more of a dry vinegar kick. Baijiu has a bad reputation but the home made stuff or higher quality stuff is actually really really smooth and tasty. You just take small sips of it like drinking cognac.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I just want to say:

Glass Northern China

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
huangjiu is pretty great, wish it was just a little stronger though

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

caberham posted:

There's a huge difference between the north or rural areas and the south. North Eastern China is just Korean levels of bad where dudes are BRO and 哥們兒兒兒兒兒兒 as gently caress and chug baijiu. Everyone drinks as in the mom, the dad, the daughter, and the aunts drink poo poo loads of alcohol because winters there are just miserable.

In the south it's way more tame. You do get baijiu fueled business meetings and KTV nights but you can weasel your way out of it. The alcohol abuse gets worse the more related the business is to a government body. Be it licensing/contracting/permits/bureaucracy.

I would say the "defacto" national beer is Tsing Tao which is a Germany Lager legacy. The original factory and brewery in QingDao still imports wheat from Germany and make Okay lager. Everywhere else in China is just contracted brewing where rice is the major ingredient like Budweiser. There's also a craft brewery scene in the major cities because you can get cheap industrial brewing equipment from tao bao.

As for non beers, there's different kind of rice wine but not as meticulous as Korean soju culture. You get yellow wine in Eastern China which tastes pretty good and more of a dry vinegar kick. Baijiu has a bad reputation but the home made stuff or higher quality stuff is actually really really smooth and tasty. You just take small sips of it like drinking cognac.

interesting, so the women are allowed to drink a lot and it doesn't ruin FACE?

what about in the muslim areas? i don't know how strict they would follow their religion in a country that probably doesn't view muslims with anything but disgust

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

caberham posted:

I just want to say:

Glass Northern China

If Southern China had at any point in the lands numerous conflicts and civil wars gained sustained dominance over Northern China the entire eastern asia region would be so much better off.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JaucheCharly posted:

In a place that's faking rice, how likely is it that you actually drank beer and not some cheap industrial ethanol with some piss added.

Beer or some kind of mash is a prereq for industrial ethanol anyway, it's almost as cheap to make as the cost of the carbs you put into it. The only reason we don't see it this way in the West is because of the taxes each drink usually carries.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Myriarch posted:

If Southern China had at any point in the lands numerous conflicts and civil wars gained sustained dominance over Northern China the entire eastern asia region would be so much better off.

hong xiuquan did nothing wrong

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pon de Bundy posted:

More than that, if you can't match her drink for drink she'll probably call you a pussy

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Outrail posted:

You can really just bold most of the Wikipedia article

Mauritania

Population: 4,067,564
Slavery: 4%
Slaves: 155,600

Mauritania suffers from several human rights issues,[12] including slavery, where an estimated roughly 4% (155,600 people) of the country's population are being enslaved against their will, especially enemies of the government...Slavery persists in Mauritania. Although nominally abolished in 1981, it was not illegal to own slaves until 2007...The government of Mauritania denies that slavery continues in the country...According to some estimates, up to 600,000 Mauritanians, or 20% of the population, are still enslaved...

Obstacles to ending slavery in Mauritania include:
- Belief that slavery is part of the natural order of this society.

fake edit: I'm assuming the 0.56 was a land mine victim.

I cannot believe that in my life time I could of legally owned a slave somewhere in the world, this is too terrible to think about.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Apparently Chinese men need all the help they can get in being 'men'.

also human trafficking chat is kinda strange; is it really not that well known? I mean, yeah, my discipline is kinda into issues like that (I mostly know the issue through where it intersects with child soldiers and civil wars) but dang

I thought most people woulda heard at least about it through chocolate, seeing as the majority of it (at least in W-Africa, which is a major exporter) is harvested by slaves, who are often children and the fight against it hasn't gone well because when they try to raid the farms they usually murder all the slaves which leaves little evidence of the culprits

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pon de Bundy posted:

what about in the muslim areas? i don't know how strict they would follow their religion in a country that probably doesn't view muslims with anything but disgust

A surprising fact is that quite a lot of muslims drink

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

also human trafficking chat is kinda strange; is it really not that well known? I mean, yeah, my discipline is kinda into issues like that (I mostly know the issue through where it intersects with child soldiers and civil wars) but dang

I thought most people woulda heard at least about it through chocolate, seeing as the majority of it (at least in W-Africa, which is a major exporter) is harvested by slaves, who are often children and the fight against it hasn't gone well because when they try to raid the farms they usually murder all the slaves which leaves little evidence of the culprits

I knew about the human trafficking issue, especially in that area of our world, but to know it is and still is quietly condoned by that government? It makes me feel a little depressed…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Shayu posted:

I cannot believe that in my life time I could of legally owned a slave somewhere in the world, this is too terrible to think about.

Life truly is a series of missed opportunities.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What? How long does it take to raid a farm?

'Did you find any slaves officer?'
'No Sir, we found rooms full of tiny beds and workshops full of tiny tools, and a mass grave full of tiny bodies, but no slaves.'
'Damnit! Where are they hiding those slaves?'

Outrail fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 2, 2016

• Locked thread