Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Veskit posted:

Why do you make stuff up

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/local/highest-income-counties/

Kentucky isn't even on the loving list. Lousiville's median income for a family is also 46k, which is way below the national average. I have zero clue how you came up with this poo poo.

I got beaten about Oldham county, but it's not Louisville it's the county beside it where rich people live.

Arus posted:

As someone who actually went to public school in Louisville, I say they definitely deserve the praise they received. The quality of education in the state has certainly dropped with the funding cuts over the years which began around the time I hit 10th grade, not because of integration efforts, and to be fair, a lot of families in Kentucky can not afford to send their children to private school. I find reasonably often the quality of my high school education was much better than that of several of my US peers. Again, this is a personal opinion, but I don't feel his praise is at all misplaced.

Schools in KY go up and down in quality a lot and I remember even today my step-siblings and parents bitch about busing in Lousiville, but then again I went to Sacred Heart Model and St of X so what do I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

I do, gently caress them.

The more you buck this system where you don't help the disadvantaged the worse the experience is for the disadvantaged. It's so god drat selfish to put everything above everyone for your children. At no point does any reasonable parent go "jeeze, this bus system that we're using is absurdly expensive, why don't we just make all kids walk to school like mine because we happen to live so close and instead put it toward my child's education!". There's a point of reasonableness that you have to consider.

I think the thing is that while that guy was an rear end in a top hat, you're always going to have rear end in a top hat parents who think their special snowflakes deserve only the very best. The failure here was in the court that ruled in his favour - it was their job to say "no, gently caress you and gently caress your kid, this system exists for the greater good", but instead they decided that giving thousands of black kids a chance at a good education just wasn't worth it if one white kid had to settle for second best.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the thing is that while that guy was an rear end in a top hat, you're always going to have rear end in a top hat parents who think their special snowflakes deserve only the very best. The failure here was in the court that ruled in his favour - it was their job to say "no, gently caress you and gently caress your kid, this system exists for the greater good", but instead they decided that giving thousands of black kids a chance at a good education just wasn't worth it if one white kid had to settle for second best.

That doesn't mean you should excuse the parent because they were "doing the best they could for their kid" and there's a court system that is supposed to protect them. The parent was an rear end in a top hat. That's the point.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Veskit posted:

No offense to you Hawkgirl, clearly, but white people in this thread have been the worst for the past month it's really loving infuriating hence why my typing has been deplorably bad.

Why do you have to lump white people together like that, that's racist. :colbert:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

IRQ posted:

Why do you have to lump white people together like that, that's racist. :colbert:

I pull the bullshit defense black people can't be racist because they aren't in a position of power boooya

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Veskit posted:

I pull the bullshit defense black people can't be racist because they aren't in a position of power boooya

I white and too deathly afraid of appearing racist to argue that that's bullshit so I think you've won this exchange. Bravo.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

I white and too deathly afraid of appearing racist to argue that that's bullshit so I think you've won this exchange. Bravo.

Omitting or misconjugating the verb "to be," as you've done here by saying "I white and too deathly afraid..." instead of "I am [too] white and deathly afraid...," gives the appearance of mocking the stereotypical speech patterns of African Americans. Hence, your attempt at avoiding the appearance of racism has resulted in you appearing to be racist.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Haha IRQ now you're a racist and you didn't even want to be

This is a true white guilt miracle

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you think that's a gut punch wait until you see black kids coming to the same conclusion for the opposite reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG7U1QsUd1g

I need some puppy mill videos to lift my mood a bit. :(

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That argument is one of the most garbage defense of a bunch of entitled shitholes who are directly responsible for the state of the country.

That's the problem with America, most people don't want to sacrifice poo poo.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I think sacrifice certainly depends on the person, but I'd imagine parents aren't keen with the sacrifice being their child, and I don't think that's a race thing.

I don't really have a horse for the whole school discussion, I went to a podunk public school that was a bit of everything, and there was a fair share of violence. Really sucked getting hit by mace because the on site police at the school would disperse crowds firing pepper spray in a massive circle and I got hit walking to class

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 2, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hawkgirl posted:

It's not even just selfish to act this way, it is downright not in their best interest. It's shortsighted as gently caress to go "but my child needs the best opportunities to succeed" when what's really best for your loving kid is for everyone to have a legit loving chance to grow up with good opportunities so that the society your kid lives in is not quite as hosed up and terrible.

You gotta teach your kids the valuable life skill of "gently caress you got mine" as early as possible.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jamesman posted:

I need some puppy mill videos to lift my mood a bit. :(
How about if I make your brown eyes blue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXHODqMi2VY

My personal favorite are the people who claim she's a Mentalist, and not an educator.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 2, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hawkgirl posted:

It's not even just selfish to act this way, it is downright not in their best interest. It's shortsighted as gently caress to go "but my child needs the best opportunities to succeed" when what's really best for your loving kid is for everyone to have a legit loving chance to grow up with good opportunities so that the society your kid lives in is not quite as hosed up and terrible.
I don't think you understand just how much of our society is entirely based on competitive/masculine/tribalist/whatever systems of merit. I mean I'm not saying there's any defense for it being so - simply that right now it is like that, and that if you want your kid to grow up with the best opportunities, someone else needs to be taken out of the competition.

Gerrymandering opportunity, if you will

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

coyo7e posted:

I don't think you understand just how much of our society is entirely based on competitive/masculine/tribalist/whatever systems of merit. I mean I'm not saying there's any defense for it being so - simply that right now it is like that, and that if you want your kid to grow up with the best opportunities, someone else needs to be taken out of the competition.

Gerrymandering opportunity, if you will

When society has structured itself where all matters have turned into a zero-sum game, a "me vs. the world" mentality is not a surprising result.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

tarlibone posted:

Omitting or misconjugating the verb "to be," as you've done here by saying "I white and too deathly afraid..." instead of "I am [too] white and deathly afraid...," gives the appearance of mocking the stereotypical speech patterns of African Americans. Hence, your attempt at avoiding the appearance of racism has resulted in you appearing to be racist.

Well, you're right, I guess I need to find a tailor that does klan hoods. What a tragic turn of events this is. But I guess at least this gets me closer to being a wizard, even if it's the goofy hats racist kind.

Veskit posted:

Haha IRQ now you're a racist and you didn't even want to be

This is a true white guilt miracle

I blame society, society and that poo poo mac keyboard I have at work. I am sorry that I have to irrationally hate you now veskit, I thought we were internet buds but alas, my typing skills have outed me.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Veskit posted:

What about this dude? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUkOU_pYT2Q

And I don't mean this in a "see blacks can be racist too!!!!!!!!!!!" way, but just personal interest and curiosity.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

What did the word billshit mean in the context of what I was saying

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Also not saying I do but I totally get hating Jews as a black person because that was white privilege amplified times 6 million

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Veskit posted:

Also not saying I do but I totally get hating Jews as a black person because that was white privilege amplified times 6 million
So what's it mean when Nazis, who were white, hated jews, who were white. What does that mean for white privilege?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Ausmund posted:

So what's it mean when Nazis, who were white, hated jews, who were white. What does that mean for white privilege?

Jews got reparations

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It means that even in the absence of black people or those of dissimilar skin tones, we'll always find *someone* to hate and/or consider lesser beings.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Hitler also gassed quite a bit of non white people so the point is fairly academic

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
anyone can be racist

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Veskit posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not American and living in the right culture to get this, or maybe I'm just dense but I have no idea what you're on about. What was white privilege times 6 million about Jews?

Veskit posted:

Hitler also gassed quite a bit of non white people so the point is fairly academic

I don't think it does. Just because Hitler hated other people too doesn't mean he didn't hate the Jews. Especially when they were his main focal point despite the existence of Jehovah's Witness, disabled people, Gypsies, ethnic minorities of various kinds and more.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Luvcow posted:

anyone can be racist

Debatable depending on your definition just saying

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Veskit posted:

:agreed:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

tsob posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not American and living in the right culture to get this, or maybe I'm just dense but I have no idea what you're on about. What was white privilege times 6 million about Jews?

Don't worry, I can't parse that insanity either. I guess he feels there was something privileged about being a victim of the Holocaust? And that black people can/should be envious of that??

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Luvcow posted:

anyone can be racist

I hate everyone equally

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Azhais posted:

I hate everyone equally

That's very admirable of you.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Veskit posted:

How? What definition would make someone literally incapable of racism? I'm honestly curious to see you make that debate and detail what definition you're suggesting.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It means that even in the absence of black people or those of dissimilar skin tones, we'll always find *someone* to hate and/or consider lesser beings.

This. It is, unfortunately, basic human psychology. People form themselves into groups based on *something* then stratify.

There's benefit to mixing kids up in school, because race then ceases to be an automatic 'different' factor.

I was watching some show one day, I forget what, but there was a murder at a convention being held for midgets. Little people. Whatever the term-du-jour is.

One of the little persons who was helping the detective mentioned that there was a pecking order between different types of dwarfism. That's human psychology in a nutshell. Put any four people in a room, and at best, you'll get two pairs eyeing each other warily. More likely, you'll get three people picking on the fourth.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I think you can be a prejudiced dildo regardless of your race and gender

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

tsob posted:

How? What definition would make someone literally incapable of racism? I'm honestly curious to see you make that debate and detail what definition you're suggesting.

I assumed they meant that some people define racism as only coming from people in a position of power. The idea of race itself has no scientific bearing or meaning so different people have different definitions but I would add, and I just assumed we all agree, that among the people who actively study and debate it the definition of racism has nothing to do with power and everything to do with thinking that people of any given race or ethnic grouping are inferior or superior to others. Which means anyone can be racist.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

tsob posted:

There's a lot of extremely sketchy garbage being posted on this page but I will bite on this one.

Racism is not the same thing as prejudice. Racism deals with systemic power structures. When you say that "anyone can be racist" you are denying that these systemic power structures exist.

That's why it is literally impossible to be "racist" against white people in America.

You can be prejudiced, however. That's a totally different concept.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

tsob posted:

I don't know, either, but one thing that always strikes me is that when you try to mention the millions of other civilians who were executed (as opposed to being collateral damage) in WW2, by the Russians, the Japanese, whatever, let alone other genocides, ethnic cleansings, religious cleansings, The Holocaust is somehow different.

The video at http://www.fallen.io/ww2/ is illustrative.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Bass Bottles posted:

There's a lot of extremely sketchy garbage being posted on this page but I will bite on this one.

Racism is not the same thing as prejudice. Racism deals with systemic power structures. When you say that "anyone can be racist" you are denying that these systemic power structures exist.

That's why it is literally impossible to be "racist" against white people in America.

You can be prejudiced, however. That's a totally different concept.

rac·ism

noun

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Luvcow posted:

rac·ism

noun

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Why do you prefer that definition over mine, which btw I did not come up with myself? Do you not believe in the systematic power structures? You seem pretty passionate about defining racism to allow white people to be victims, and I'm not sure where it's coming from.

I guess you could just have a weird pedantic streak and massive emotional investment in the legitimacy of dictionary dot com but it feels like something else is going on here.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Bass Bottles posted:

Why do you prefer that definition over mine, which btw I did not come up with myself? Do you not believe in the systematic power structures? You seem pretty passionate about defining racism to allow white people to be victims, and I'm not sure where it's coming from.

I guess you could just have a weird pedantic streak and massive emotional investment in the legitimacy of dictionary dot com but it feels like something else is going on here.

I posted the easily found definition from a quick google search, which is also the way it was defined when i studied and debated it in college and wrote papers on. You?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

raditts posted:

Don't worry, I can't parse that insanity either. I guess he feels there was something privileged about being a victim of the Holocaust? And that black people can/should be envious of that??

http://rollingout.com/2015/10/07/obama-administration-earmarks-12-million-reparations-holocaust-survivors/

in a nutshell

• Locked thread