Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

docbeard posted:

He doesn't do it so much lately but someone here used to be notorious for basically abandoning his lunch in the microwave, because he'd get caught up in a call or something.

And yeah, I at least have no qualms about setting someone's food aside if it's in a stopped microwave. Not quite done yet? Should have been here to check it!

But you're wrong about the worst microwave-related work sin.

Two words. Burned. Popcorn.

Fish. Curry.

Also, why are work microwaves uniformly completely unintuitive? My microwave at home has a button for '1 minute'. You press it x times and the microwave will work for x minutes. Simple. Foolproof. The microwave at work you have to select the power level then the approximate weight of the food you put in it then how long you want to heat it for. It's insane.

Related peeve: coworkers that take an inordinate interest in your food. Yes, I know it looks good, that's why I'm eating it. Please leave me alone and let me have my lunch in peace without being interrogated about every aspect of whatever it is that I'm having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
My go to response for people telling me my food looks good is "That's because it is good" and then I go back to eating it.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

cyberia posted:

Related peeve: coworkers that take an inordinate interest in your food. Yes, I know it looks good, that's why I'm eating it. Please leave me alone and let me have my lunch in peace without being interrogated about every aspect of whatever it is that I'm having.

Davinci posted:

My go to response for people telling me my food looks good is "That's because it is good" and then I go back to eating it.

lol at these two anti-social spectrum riders

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

cyberia posted:

People who stare at you while you're eating. I had a coworker who would do this, just sit and stare at me. I'd look up from the newspaper and there he'd be with this dumb look on his face. Apparently it wasn't just me either.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Since it's almost election time and it's on my mind... people who don't vote.

Voter turnout in my country is embarrassingly low, especially among women and minorities. Now, I'm not talking about people who want to vote, but can't. Like, they work horrific hours and can't get the time off, or whatever. Hey, I understand. My beef is not with them.

My beef is with the :smug: chucklefucks who don't vote because "Lol it doesn't matter, nothing ever changes, my vote doesn't count anyway." gently caress you. This attitude is exactly why things are the way they are! How is not voting going to make things any better?! I don't get it at all.

The low turnout among women especially kills me. The Women's Suffrage Movement was decades of fighting and blood, sweat, and tears. Women starved themselves and even died over it, and you won't go out and exercise that hard-won right?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I feel kinda bad saying this because at the same time I don't entirely mind, but do I have to be the person to whom my friends vent for all of my friends (or at least it feels like)? I mean, I do care, and I'll lend an ear, but at the same time I often enough have poo poo of my own on my mind and it can get a bit tiring.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Silver Falcon posted:

Voter turnout in my country is embarrassingly low, especially among women and minorities. Now, I'm not talking about people who want to vote, but can't. Like, they work horrific hours and can't get the time off, or whatever. Hey, I understand. My beef is not with them.

My beef is with the :smug: chucklefucks who don't vote because "Lol it doesn't matter, nothing ever changes, my vote doesn't count anyway." gently caress you. This attitude is exactly why things are the way they are! How is not voting going to make things any better?! I don't get it at all.

The low turnout among women especially kills me. The Women's Suffrage Movement was decades of fighting and blood, sweat, and tears. Women starved themselves and even died over it, and you won't go out and exercise that hard-won right?

It's the government's fault for making voting inconvenient. I mailed in my vote weeks ago and it was easy as hell. I'm not going out and standing in line on a work day.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think a lot of people just don't know what their options are for early/absentee voting, too. Of course if you live in a state which doesn't offer much in this regard, that doesn't do much good, but it's worth doing a bit of research.

I voted by mail this year and I am never ever going back.

(Just don't fall for stupid "VOTE BY RETWEET #totallynotascam" scams.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

docbeard posted:

I voted by mail this year and I am never ever going back.

I've postal voted in the last three or four elections, and I would encourage everyone to do the same. Technically you're only supposed to do it if you have some reason you can't vote in person, but that can be as simple as "I'll be busy that day", and you don't even have to say what the reason is. I don't know why they don't want people doing it, but (especially with the ridiculous senate ballots we've had recently here in Australia) it's so much more convenient, so I don't really care, I'll do it anyway.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I assume they don't really promote voting by mail because many elected officials benefit from low voter turnout, especially when disenfranchised groups are the ones who don't/can't vote.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I have a few coworkers who have given me the whole "my vote doesn't matter, it's all a scam anyway" spiel and it drives me insane. One of them in particular is a vocal feminist who posts a ton of progressive political stuff on Facebook. Why the gently caress would you bother trying to raise awareness for these issues if you don't think anything's going to change, and you're not even willing to put in the tiniest modicum of effort to affect poo poo? I also hate how they always say it like I'm an idiot for ever believing otherwise. That smug loving bitterness. "Oh, I don't waste my time voting, it's not like they even count them" :smug:

I mean, I remember having that attitude when I was an edgy shithead teenager... but I also believed every lovely conspiracy theory I could get my hands on. I grew out of that phase by the time I was 20.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Noctone posted:

Ok Mr. Social Butterfly, what's your response to this awkward as hell statement then? Do you discuss how it's leftovers from dinner last night? Talk about the process of putting the sandwich together and then placed in your lunch bag? Say how much you spent on the groceries to make it?

gently caress off, basically.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Do you freak out like this if someone says something like "great weather we are having isn't it"? It's innocuous friendly small talk. Just say yeah it is thanks or something and move on. They aren't asking for a detailed description of anything. Maybe they will as a followup but would it kill you to be like "it's _____ i'll send you a recipe"? You don't even have to send the recipe either.

You aren't a poorly trained dog, you shouldn't be reacting aggressively when someone approaches you while shoving food in your face.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Do you freak out like this if someone says something like "great weather we are having isn't it"? It's innocuous friendly small talk. Just say yeah it is thanks or something and move on. They aren't asking for a detailed description of anything. Maybe they will as a followup but would it kill you to be like "it's _____ i'll send you a recipe"? You don't even have to send the recipe either.

You aren't a poorly trained dog, you shouldn't be reacting aggressively when someone approaches you while shoving food in your face.

The aggression was directed at the dude who implied that you're autistic if you give the response you suggested. Also not everyone in the world cares for smalltalk.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

artificially stocked lake posted:

The aggression was directed at the dude who implied that you're autistic if you give the response you suggested. Also not everyone in the world cares for smalltalk.

The posts he quoted definitely had a "I am being angered/annoyed by this" tone and I assumed their responses also had at least a hint of that same tone of "gently caress off and let me eat". I'm saying it's not normal to be angered by something so innocuous.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The posts he quoted definitely had a "I am being angered/annoyed by this" tone and I assumed their responses also had at least a hint of that same tone of "gently caress off and let me eat". I'm saying it's not normal to be angered by something so innocuous.

I agree. Very slight annoyance maybe.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Tiggum posted:

I've postal voted in the last three or four elections, and I would encourage everyone to do the same. Technically you're only supposed to do it if you have some reason you can't vote in person, but that can be as simple as "I'll be busy that day", and you don't even have to say what the reason is. I don't know why they don't want people doing it, but (especially with the ridiculous senate ballots we've had recently here in Australia) it's so much more convenient, so I don't really care, I'll do it anyway.

Do they not want people doing mail-in votes just where you live? I've honestly never heard of it and telling people not to vote by mail (or restricting mail-in voting) is a massive red flag to me.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Friendly small talk is nice, but not when I'm in the middle of doing something that requires me not to talk.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It's possible to do both you know. Obviously not while you're chewing but there is (or should be) at least some time in between bites. Restaurants/cafeterias/etc are never complete silence, people manage to talk during meals all the time.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

Friendly small talk is nice, but not when I'm in the middle of doing something that requires me not to talk.

Yeah, this. No need to overcomplicate it; if I'm eating lunch, it is not conversation time, it is food time.

(If you enjoy combining conversation time and food time, more power to you. I do not, and the world is big enough for both of our preferences.)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

During lunch I quietly read my Bible but am always amicable whenever someone wishes to have a pleasant chat.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

There aren't any restrictions at all on voting by mail where I live (beyond 'can you fill out a simple form on the website to request an absentee ballot', I guess). I'm coming to appreciate that Minnesota has great voting laws, though; you can register at the poll the day of the election (with proof of residency or another registered voter to vouch for you), mandated time off to vote (your employer must pay you for the time you spend voting and cannot make you use PTO or similar), etc. I'm well aware this is not the norm countrywide, much less worldwide.

Does Australia have mandatory voting, or did I just imagine that?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

oldpainless posted:

During lunch I quietly read my Bible but am always amicable whenever someone wishes to have a pleasant chat.

More like oldtestamentless.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
During lunch I put my headphones on because I don't want to talk to people because my entire shift is spent talking to people go away my face hurts

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I read during lunch and twice now a coworker has said something along the lines of "you should fully concentrate on what you do, be aware of what you eat, doing both at one time just means you won't enjoy either". Bitch this is the one half hour I get to spend away from my desk and as good as my lunch is it's not gonna sufficiently distract me from the fact that I'll have to go back soon. I read to take my brain out of work mode. And to tune out you guys' chatter, I mean its either a book or I start bringing crunchy snacks exclusively.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

"you should fully concentrate on what you do, be aware of what you eat, doing both at one time just means you won't enjoy either"

Regardless of our various lunching habits, I think we can all agree that this bullshit needs to be purged from the Earth with cleansing fire.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

docbeard posted:

gently caress no, this is exactly what you should do. And maybe look at a different pharmacy too, if that's practical. Mine handles all those stupid hoops for refills (though they're based out of the same clinic as my doctor, a clinic owned by my insurance company, and that probably makes a difference).

I've been looking into it (and I think next month we'll try to switch to the pharmacy closer to his work for convenience) and I'll definitely have to call the closer sleep center and see about referrals and if his doctor can transfer records or whatever.

but uh, haha, I called yesterday and this dude said he'd call me back. he never did. I called twice today, once earlier and they said they'd 'call me back' and didn't. I called again a few minutes ago, they asked who I had spoken to yesterday. found out that the dude was (most likely, based on her word choice) fired and that he was working there for the same time frame we've been having issues with getting his meds. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ oooookay

I think they're finally having it taken care of and the one person I've talked to was pretty nice about it. I'm assuming the dude was the one responsible for dealing with prescriptions, since they often transferred my call to him, and he just never did it right or something. I feel bad for the other staff there, but at the same time they really had poor communication with me and my husband about this stuff.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

docbeard posted:

It does. Here, election day is a Saturday, our voter turnout is on average around 95%, and an increasing amount of people are early voting (which some people complain about, but if you're not undecided, I don't see much point in waiting for election day Just Because).

Is there a reason the US election is on a week day? Or is it literally just "trying to subtly make life difficult for historically disenfranchised minority groups who will be less likely get time off to vote and might not vote for me"?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Whitlam posted:

Is there a reason the US election is on a week day? Or is it literally just "trying to subtly make life difficult for historically disenfranchised minority groups who will be less likely get time off to vote and might not vote for me"?

Because Tuesdays were convenient for 19th century farmers, apparently.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Silver Falcon posted:

One of the main reasons Republicans control the government, which has led to them obstructing Obama on EVERYTHING and nothing gets done, is because Democrats skipped the polls during midterms. 2010 being the main year I think.

People need to vote every chance they get, not just during Presidential elections. I understand it can be a challenge when Republicans pass laws to make it difficult for women and minorities (mainly Democrat) to vote and that's why we need to get rid of those fuckers.

My brother-in-law is writing in the main character from The Walking Dead for President. Just stay home then.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

If you think eating requires you to not talk you should take a trip to the midwest, it will be eye opening.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

People who capitalize random words for emphasis.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ghost emoji posted:

I assume they don't really promote voting by mail because many elected officials benefit from low voter turnout, especially when disenfranchised groups are the ones who don't/can't vote.

docbeard posted:

Yep, although since it's a secret ballot you can obviously just not fill it in if you have some objection to voting.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Do they not want people doing mail-in votes just where you live? I've honestly never heard of it and telling people not to vote by mail (or restricting mail-in voting) is a massive red flag to me.
Like I said, you don't have to tell them your reason or anything, but the form to apply for a postal vote has a list of eligibility criteria and you're not supposed to vote by mail if you could get to an actual polling place. I don't know why.

docbeard posted:

Because Tuesdays were convenient for 19th century farmers, apparently.
The idea, according to a television programme I saw recently, was that a lot of people had to travel a significant distance to vote, so they'd spend a day travelling to the polling place, a day (I guess) to actually vote, and a third day travelling back home, and since they'd have to be at home for church on Sunday the election couldn't be on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Noctone posted:

You sure are imagining a lot of incorrect things about my tone and demeanor when talking with my coworkers.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Jaramin posted:

People who capitalize random words for emphasis.

People who put quotation marks around words for emphasis.

There's a restaurant near me that serves House-Made Turkey "Soup" with "Garlic" Bread

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It could be a deconstructed soup with all the dry ingredients of the soup arranged on a plate.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Why are older men so loud? I'm in a silent break room at 7 a.m. and suddenly this guy comes in sounding like a loving train, keys jangling, puffing breath, grunting, rustling a plastic bag, and on top of all smelling like lovely tobacco. And even when I think he's gone, i hear a door slam in the distance.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Brawnfire posted:

Why are older men so loud? I'm in a silent break room at 7 a.m. and suddenly this guy comes in sounding like a loving train, keys jangling, puffing breath, grunting, rustling a plastic bag, and on top of all smelling like lovely tobacco. And even when I think he's gone, i hear a door slam in the distance.

The racquetball players at my gym are like that. Not WHILE they're playing, that would be fine, but while they're standing around after or in between sets (matches?). They stand in a line outside the courts just screaming at each other. It'd be fine on a soccer field or at a party--it's all good-natured ribbing--but in a quiet gym at 7 am, it's a little unnecessary, and they don't seem to notice how they're the only ones making a ton of noise. The younger ones can usually find their inside voices, but the middle-aged and older have to shout at each other.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Are US polling stations so sparse people can't just drop by coming home from work or whatever? Granted I don't live in the countryside but I never heard of anyone needing time off to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Despite apparent record breaking early voting in my city, I didn't have to wait at all to go in and vote straight Republican ticket,