Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
also, polling in nevada is rather unpredictable, and its high hispanic pop adds to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Nessus posted:

I'm the 11% who were fired up by Comey to go vote for Hillary.

Also possibly the 1% of Republicans who were. Those people seem like they must be interesting.

You can get some weird/fun results from questions like this. Like the 2% of voters in Florida who believe Hillary is a literal demon from Hell, but still want to vote for her.

Militree posted:

If this is he case, why does 538 have Nevada 50/50? Also, why is Florida red? Urge to arzy rising...

IIRC, the NYT's model for NC is the only one that tries to make inferences based on early voting. All other models look at polling and fundamentals only.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

How does that prove Bernie wouldn't be doing better?

Young people do not vote in huge numbers. This is also one of the reasons he didn't do as well as Hillary in the primary.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

mcmagic posted:

Bernie had little to no ground game with minorities. Aside from his supporters whitesplaining everything in the most condescending manner possible.

"hey look at this one picture of young Bernie at a sit in. clearly he knows whats best for you!"

Oh, and lets not forget about his supporters railing on the BLM protesters for being ignorant.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 3, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

WampaLord posted:

Young people do not vote in huge numbers. This is also one of the reasons he didn't do as well as Hillary in the primary.

OK but it doesn't prove that they wouldn't be turning out more if he was the nominee. Or that he wouldn't have been able to improve his minority outreach. He definitely did over the course of the primary.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 3, 2016

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Covok posted:

I can't wait till White people are only 49% of this country and no one is the majority and all minorities. Maybe then we can move forward.

I don't see that that will change anything. We've already divorced population minority/majority status from their mathematical identities. Apparently a group can constitute more than 50% of the population and still be considered a 'minority.'

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mcmagic posted:

OK but it doesn't prove that they wouldn't be turning out more if he was the nominee.

if they turned out for him well enough in the primary he probably could have won the nomination.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mcmagic posted:

OK but it doesn't prove that they wouldn't be turning out more if he was the nominee.

Bernie would very likely turn out more young voters than Clinton, but probably turn out fewer minority voters.

I honestly believe that, at least on the numbers game, it's sort of a wash as to which would do better at this stage of the election. That also ignores all the unknowns, because we also can't assume that all of the same events would have transpired in the election, so speculating is pointless and will only lead to arguing in circles.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

WampaLord posted:

It's true that young voters aren't the most reliable bloc, but I'd be careful to conflate enthusiasm with willingness. I assume a fair amount of the 18-34 demographic will ultimately hold their nose and vote.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Militree posted:

If this is he case, why does 538 have Nevada 50/50? Also, why is Florida red? Urge to arzy rising...

Because Nate Silver's model is bad.

Like, that's literally it. Anything else is twisting yourself into a pretzel trying to not criticize him. The other trackers have converged or are rapidly converging to a 90%+ consensus while Nate's is still all over the place. He screwed up the Trump call by ignoring the data, and now his model's broken.

He did a very bad job this election.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Militree posted:

nate is doing something fucky, I think

mcmagic posted:

OK but it doesn't prove that they wouldn't be turning out more if he was the nominee. Or that he wouldn't have been able to improve his minority outreach.

(crickets sounds)

This is where you fill in the above with something substantive rather than with conjecture.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's true that young voters aren't the most reliable bloc, but I'd be careful to conflate enthusiasm with willingness. I assume a fair amount of the 18-34 demographic will ultimately hold their nose and vote.

Yea, probably the roughly same amount as previous elections, which is still the lowest of all the age groups.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loving double posts.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus way to argue about something that would happen in hindsight of a thing that never happened

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mcmagic posted:

OK but it doesn't prove that they wouldn't be turning out more if he was the nominee. Or that he wouldn't have been able to improve his minority outreach. He definitely did over the course of the primary.

gonna give you a heads up: I've canvassed politically for bernie since the mid 90's and have been canvassing for hillary

just an FYI on the level of detail I am going to be expecting you to engage with

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

Like, that's literally it. Anything else is twisting yourself into a pretzel trying to not criticize him. The other trackers have converged or are rapidly converging to a 90%+ consensus while Nate's is still all over the place. He screwed up the Trump call by ignoring the data, and now his model's broken.

I'm not the biggest fan of Nate's model, but that's an unfair criticism because the other models don't include early voting either. Wang has NV in a similar position as Nate, i.e. a toss-up.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FlamingLiberal posted:

We are all racist

speak for yourself

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

WampaLord posted:

I'm still pissed about the WI Supreme Court election. Those same voters basically cost the Dems a seat on the WI Supreme Court for 10 years.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

WampaLord posted:

loving double posts.

Stop mashing the submit button like an Xbox controller.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Potato Salad posted:

This is where you fill in the above with something substantive rather than with conjecture.

It's not conjecture. He was MUCH more effective at minority outreach by the end of the primary. It's the reason he won Michigan.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I wouldn't rush to blame 538's model for showing Nevada as a tight race if they don't account for early voting, few models do account for early voting, and NV is historically difficult to poll.

can't speak for florida i don't know a drat thing about that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

nate is doing something fucky, I think

He explains what that is here: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-why-our-model-is-more-bullish-than-others-on-trump/

In summary, it's because:
  • The 538 model assumes greater uncertainty due to higher-than-usual numbers of "undecided" voters.
  • The model is calibrated based on elections since 1972, and polling was less accurate back then. In the article, he notes that if they calibrated the model based on elections since 2000, Clinton's chances would jump into the 90s.
  • The model weights really unlikely events more highly than other models.
  • The model places greater weight on the possibility of polling errors, because if there are widespread polling errors in one state, it is likely to be correlated with similar errors in other states. This is the big one people mention for why the 538 model is such an outlier.
I don't know nearly enough about statistics to judge whether all of those mean it's a better or worse model, though. As a pessimist, I tend to trust it more, but it's just that: I'm a pessimist, so I get suspicious when I see things implying Clinton's got a massive chance of winning.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcmagic posted:

It's not conjecture. He was MUCH more effective at minority outreach by the end of the primary. It's the reason he won Michigan.

He lost Wayne County by large margins and only "won" (effectively tied) by running up the score in all the white areas.

Like seriously:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mcmagic posted:

I actually find that I don't have the energy to have this discussion this morning. We may talk later about the mason dixon line.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Keep in mind that both Bernie's and Hillary's game would have been the exact same thing: Make the entire election a referendum on letting Trump in the White House. We know this because both of them are campaigning right now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Keep in mind that both Bernie's and Hillary's game would have been the exact same thing: Make the entire election a referendum on letting Trump in the White House. We know this because both of them are campaigning right now.

This also. If he was the nominee and had the whole party behind him, he would've clearly had a much better minority outreach operation than he did in the primary. He just didn't have the 30 year relationship with these communities that the Clintons had and that is the reason he lost the primary.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Chelb posted:

can't speak for florida i don't know a drat thing about that

Florida is difficult to predict because the victory margins are always extremely small. In 2012, both Nate and Wang had it essentially at 50% (IIRC, Nate's was like 50.6% for Obama which is how he got all 50 states correct). Having to rely on winning there is a huge gamble for any campaign, so it's a good thing Clinton doesn't need it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Harrow posted:

He explains what that is here: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-why-our-model-is-more-bullish-than-others-on-trump/

In summary, it's because:
  • The 538 model assumes greater uncertainty due to higher-than-usual numbers of "undecided" voters.
  • The model is calibrated based on elections since 1972, and polling was less accurate back then. In the article, he notes that if they calibrated the model based on elections since 2000, Clinton's chances would jump into the 90s.
  • The model weights really unlikely events more highly than other models.
  • The model places greater weight on the possibility of polling errors, because if there are widespread polling errors in one state, it is likely to be correlated with similar errors in other states. This is the big one people mention for why the 538 model is such an outlier.
I don't know nearly enough about statistics to judge whether all of those mean it's a better or worse model, though. As a pessimist, I tend to trust it more, but it's just that: I'm a pessimist, so I get suspicious when I see things implying Clinton's got a massive chance of winning.
Point #2 there seems to answer all the questions then. Thank you, Zenyatta av man

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Cingulate posted:

All of these "corruption" charges leave me emotionally rather unmoved because from what I can tell, there are two options:
1. Clinton does what she does because she thinks it's right
2. Clinton does what she does because somebody pays her to

So at worst - if 2 is true - this means somebody could in the future pay her to start doing abhorrent stuff. However, Trump is already doing abhorrent stuff seemingly out of his own free mind.

It also means that while being the most scrutinized politician in the world over the last few decades (arguably ever, especially after wikileaks), she's managed to run the largest and most complex pay-for-play scheme in the history of the world...without generating any actual evidence of her corruption.

Maybe I'm broken and cynical, but that sounds like a hell of a selling point to me.

Kilroy posted:

Personally I think the House is still in play and we're going to be pleasantly surprised Tuesday night.

Sounds to me like your television is stuck on CNN? Consider replacing it.

What up, House Hopeful buddy? I don't think it's likely, but I think we have a decent shot. 35% (my belief of likelihood) doesn't sound great, but if you told me there was a 35% a longlost relative was going to bequeath me a million today, I'd be thrilled (I'd also not leave the house if you told me there was a 35% chance of death if I did).

Fakeedit:

WampaLord posted:

This poo poo right here needs to be quoted at mcmagic every time he argues Bernie would be doing better.
Wouldn't matter. Look back at his Cory Booker posting. Logic and progressivism go right out the door when women or PoC steal the opportunity that rightfully belong to old white men.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think the logical response that he would make would be that Bernie would motivate those younger voters more and wouldn't be down that low.
Man who couldn't mobilize demographic to win (or make a competitive showing in) the primary would totally be using same flaky as hell demographic to make Democratic Presidential odds go from 99.9% to 99.999%. The logical response.

Won't someone think of the young white voters??

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Actually, if you're bringing this back up this late in the season, I need to think you're fairly well read on Bernie's primary problems. You've probably already read what you needed to read and just disagree, which is well and cool.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
And even in the unlikely chance that he did win. Clinton and Obama would be campaigning minority outreach for him right now. This is what party loyalty means in the face of Trump possibility being elected .

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

He just didn't have the 30 year relationship with these communities that the Clintons had and that is the reason he lost the primary.

And you don't think that this would affect the minority voting rate in the general election at all?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

mcmagic posted:

Who is "Bernie"?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Radish posted:

Basically this. Also just look at how the media has covered alllivesmatter as a legitimate counter opinion to blacklivesmatter. BLM is mainly concerned with black people not being killed for no reason and the only way to report on that is to act like they are making some sort of attack on the police and that white people who are offended by that are totally legitimate in their opinion. Additionally look at the disparity in reporting of the Trump supporter that murdered two police officers or the white couple that killed people in Las Vegas then draped a Tea Party flag over the bodies after leaving the Bundy ranch. None of that was reported as "white culture" leading to violent extremism but if those people were black there would be no shortage of serious white people making statements about how black culture is to blame or if they were muslim why aren't Islamic leaders denouncing this? Implying racism actually still affects minorities REALLY offends most white people (even a lot of Democrats so it's not just a Republican thing) since they don't want to admit they have structural advantages which means they didn't earn what they have at the expense of others. Culturally bumping against this gets a lot of push back on many levels including politicians and the media both mainstream and social.

Why is it that white people in this country seem to be so incredibly fragile? As if the very idea that minorities actually do have different experiences than them or that suggesting that someone of a different skin tone so much as be allowed to show up in numbers greater than two on a series is enough to make them explode about how unfair it is. It's like so many of them have no comprehension of the idea that white people really do get advantages so anything less than utter submission causes something deep inside to just break.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

His model called 99 out of 100 states in the two primaries.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Let's not conflate Nate's model with his Trump punditry. The model was right in basically everything except the Michigan Democratic primary, if I remember correctly. Nate just went all pundit on Trump and ignored the data his own model was showing him until it was undeniable.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mcmagic posted:

This also. If he was the nominee and had the whole party behind him, he would've clearly had a much better minority outreach operation than he did in the primary. He just didn't have the 30 year relationship with these communities that the Clintons had and that is the reason he lost the primary.

yeah, this is a dramatically oversimplified view of visible minorities as communities in the states. I think I know where you're coming from and what you've read and think.

CascadeBeta posted:

And you don't think that this would affect the minority voting rate in the general election at all?

He's about to say something that can be extended by corollary to mean that they are servants of the DNC or that they can be steered

liberals have coded racial speech, too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Guy Goodbody posted:

Who is "Bernie"?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-feldman/bernie-goetz-the-subway-g_b_6369128.html

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

mcmagic posted:

He lost because his organization couldn't get enough people out to vote. Since Clinton has proven her ability to GOTV more so than Sanders I'd say the Dems made the right choice, wouldn't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Wha is all this poo poo about Bernie and the primary? He has endorsed Hillary and is calling for investigation into insulin makers.

• Locked thread