Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

Didn't that voting map say polls close in Florida at like 7pm EST?

If you're in line before 7 PM, you get to vote. Some lines are hours long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

theflyingorc posted:

edit: Also, approximately half of the Florida total electorate has voted.

Seeing stuff like this is kind of annoying. I live in VA, which has no formal early voting. The best you can do is absentee vote and fill in a reason vaguely related to work or something, but the process goes out of its way to tell you that's illegal. It's not like that stops a lot of people, but seeing that allowing polls to open suddenly opens the floodgates to over half the electorate, when we constantly complain about the lack of turnout, is just irritating to me.

I'm more than aware why it doesn't get changed, that doesn't stop it from looking really stupid.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Periodiko posted:

Is that as devastating from Trump-in-Florida as it seems? Like, pseudo "exit polls" (not sure of name) like that should be more accurate than normal polling, and that's a pretty huge lead, no?

Also, can Trump win without Florida?

No. Assuming Clinton's firewall holds (and there's no reason to believe it shouldn't), Trump literally can't afford to lose a single swing state.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Periodiko posted:

Is that as devastating from Trump-in-Florida as it seems? Like, pseudo "exit polls" (not sure of name) like that should be more accurate than normal polling, and that's a pretty huge lead, no?

Trump cannot win without Florida unless he takes Pennsylvania and Ohio and like everything else.

The most conservative estimates have Hillary "safe" in some ~241-242 EVs. Florida is worth 29, getting her to 270 by itself.

It's worth noting that this particular poll is not from a major pollster and I know nothing of their methodology(they offer both online and phone services) - but absentee and early voters cannot be improperly accounted for by an LV screen. Take it with a grain of salt, but it's good news.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Le Saboteur posted:

Didn't that voting map say polls close in Florida at like 7pm EST?

people who are still standing in line can vote, which is likely to happen in the crucial urban districts which will determine if florida goes blue

florida isn't that important this round though, pennsylvania is more important

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Periodiko posted:

It's hard to say if they are more accurate. On the one hand, everyone of those is a guaranteed vote (unless the people lie for some weird reason.) So they are more than likely voters. But on the other hand, this reduces the sample size significantly and makes statistical errors more likely.
And we don't know exactly how party affiliation is correlated with the time of voting. In theory if all Democrats prefer early voting, while all Republicans prefer election day, such polls would become absolutely meaningless.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

weekly font posted:

In Jersey we have something like this in regards to a gas tax and I have no real clue how to vote for it.

Me neither. The only thing that swayed me in either direction is that basically every person that is entrenched in Trenton who got us into this pension/budget mess is endorsing a yes vote. I'll probably vote no just because they haven't shown any ability to properly manage the exorbitant amount of taxes we already pay.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Part of me wants New Hampshire to go for Trump while Arizona goes blue as proof that NH is the libertarian shithole that I think it is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cross posting this because it's adorable:

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/794040789051514880/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

boner confessor posted:

was obama a weak candidate? you also have to consider this position of yours in the context of unprecedented and rising levels of partisanship

I don't think so because the people who wouldn't vote for him on the basis of racism wouldn't have voted for any neutral democratic candidate anyways. Hillary is losing middle class voters and male voters very badly and there are a lot of those.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What time do people expect the election to be called on the 8th? I'm thinking 11 pm central at the earliest.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Speaking of NH being a Libertarian shithole, the poll that had Trump +4 on Clinton in NH was a head-to-head and did not include Johnson

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Spacebump posted:

What time do people expect the election to be called on the 8th? I'm thinking 11 pm central at the earliest.

yeah, 11pm est is when it will be called if it's a landslide

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Spacebump posted:

They never call earlier than polls closing on the West Coast

If NC or OH goes blue by then, they will probably call it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

weekly font posted:

In Jersey we have something like this in regards to a gas tax and I have no real clue how to vote for it.

In Florida, we had a similar thing about solar power. The wording of the amendment makes it sound like it will make things easier for solar power to get established in the state, but if you look into who proposed and backed it, it's the existing electric companies trying to block solar power from becoming a widespread thing in Florida via state constitutional amendment.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

*BREAKING*
Clinton cedes Ohio to Trump.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

cant cook creole bream posted:

And we don't know exactly how party affiliation is correlated with the time of voting. In theory if all Democrats prefer early voting, while all Republicans prefer election day, such polls would become absolutely meaningless.

Depends on the state too. Republicans usually do the most early voting in Texas, but so far it's Democrats that have been turning out more, with a big jump in hispanic turnout.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Spacebump posted:

If she wins NC solidly that's probably pretty close to true?

If she doesn't win NC solidly they might wait until after we know about Nevada which is gonna be laaaaaaaate.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

So much for the Cleveland vote.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Spacebump posted:

Depends, if NH, VA and PA are able to be called relatively early then its over.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Why are New Hampshire and Vermont so different in terms of Democratic reliability? I know nothing about the two states other than they are a similar size and shape, adjacent, and located in New England.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
+1 for Hillary/Feingold/Solen/Binger, bitches. :getin:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

boner confessor posted:

hillary is a strong candidate, she's just been uniquely hated by the right wing for so long that people uncritically accept this hatred as truth

This is one thing I think Obama failed to disarm.

Like he just has to say something like "You know the BS about me for the last 8 years is BS, something about my birth cert. Well if they can lie for 8 years, they can like for 30 years."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Mind_Taker posted:

Why are New Hampshire and Vermont so different in terms of Democratic reliability? I know nothing about the two states other than they are a similar size and shape, adjacent, and located in New England.

Vermont is a SUPER weird state.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

boner confessor posted:

people who believe this have poor perception and understanding of the world, so poor that they do not realize there are large gaps in their understanding of reality. it's the same as infants not having object permanence, if a thing is not in plain sight then it does not exist. therefore, if no black people are protesting in the streets then racism does not exist. black people protested in the 60's with that king fellow, but then the government ended racism and the protests stopped. now the blacks are protesting again because obama is making racism happen again

Spacebump posted:

Social Media plus more people having cameras has exposed many to racial issues they didn't know about. Instead of thinking about changes in tech, people just blamed the black President they didn't like.

Ugh the worst thing about this lack of awareness is if you were to try and explain they would probably shut down and ignore you.

The other thing is that even with our weak form of federalism, Obama has such limited power here anyway. When I hear the demand that he fix that or fix black community problems before police shootings, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around that too. Do they expect him to parachute into every municipality and fix the police force himself?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

theflyingorc posted:

If she wins NC solidly that's probably pretty close to true?

If she doesn't win NC solidly they might wait until after we know about Nevada which is gonna be laaaaaaaate.

NC is a good measure, but I am not sure it's the only one, but yeah without NC his map is incredibly difficult and it's hard to believe he'd be able to win NV/CO if he's lost NC.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I'm gonna have this exact same reaction on the 8th

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of NH being a Libertarian shithole, the poll that had Trump +4 on Clinton in NH was a head-to-head and did not include Johnson

Yeah. That whole "Freestate Project" flopped hard and the Libertarians there basically just turned into bitter Republicans (they were always bitter republicans).

It's actually a freaky, fascinating thing to read about.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Apraxin posted:

Also:
https://twitter.com/Sarah_Boxer/status/794000050624069632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Haha, Trump's 'victory part' is invite-only. No Corrupt Media Allowed!

Ah man. I wanted to see Trump implode live on air.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/794216772459229184

Clinton doing better with Hispanics than Obama (but seriously, the 19% of Hispanics voting for Trump are the dumbest people on the planet)

This is good for Nevada and Florida.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apraxin posted:

https://youtu.be/wVkgCkw6rq8?t=2576
This is the bit I was talking about, if anyone wants to watch.

drat this is some grade-A Obama right here.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Libertine posted:

I don't think so because the people who wouldn't vote for him on the basis of racism wouldn't have voted for any neutral democratic candidate anyways. Hillary is losing middle class voters and male voters very badly and there are a lot of those.

This argument is a lot more valid-in fact, is only valid- if you #RepealThe19th.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Militree posted:

Part of me wants New Hampshire to go for Trump while Arizona goes blue as proof that NH is the libertarian shithole that I think it is.

Travel more?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/11/02/alabama_secretary_of_state_says_more_voting_would_cheapen_the_work_of_civil.html

quote:

Merrill explained his thoughts in an interview with a progressive voting rights initiative called Answering the Call. Asked about automatic registration for people who turn 18, Merrill responded, “I don’t think that just because your birthday comes around, that you ought to be registered to vote.” He then listed a litany of voting rights advocates—including Rep. John Lewis, Martin Luther King, and Rosa Parks—and declared:

These people fought—some of them were beaten, some of them were killed—because of their desire to ensure that everybody that wanted to had the right to register to vote and participate in the process. I’m not going to cheapen the work that they did. I’m not going to embarrass them by allowing somebody that’s too sorry to get up off of their rear end to go register to vote … because they think they deserve the right because they’ve turned 18.
(Lewis strongly supports automatic voter registration and is pushing a bill that would institute the initiative throughout the United States. In 1976, Lewis stood next to President Jimmy Carter as Carter unveiled his plan for nationwide automatic voter registration.)*

“To me,” Merrill continued, “that’s no different than giving them a trophy because they’ve played on the ball team.”

You only get a trophy if you win! And if you want to participate in the process, there’s a system for doing that. And we want to make sure that they have the ability to do that. And we’re going to help them have the opportunity to do it. But just because you turned 18 doesn’t give you the right to do anything.
Merrill then said, “I’m not attracted to lazy people or sorry people or people who don’t want to get involved.”

If you’re too sorry or lazy to get up off of your rear and to go register to vote, or to register electronically, and then to go vote, then you don’t deserve that privilege. As long as I’m Secretary of State of Alabama, you’re going to have to show some initiative to become a registered voter in this state.
Two points about Merrill’s disquisition. First, the voting rights pioneers whom he invoked spoke about the ballot in nearly sacrosanct terms as the bedrock of democracy; it is difficult to imagine them criticizing any effort to provide the ballot to more people. Second, under the 26th Amendment to the United States Constitution, turning 18 does, indeed, give an American citizen the right to vote. So Merrill’s statement that “just because you turned 18 doesn’t give you the right to do anything” is not only contradictory to basic values of citizenship and democratic engagement in America. It’s also just plain wrong.

Update, Nov. 2, 2016: This post has been updated to reflect the fact that while Merrill insists automatic voter registration would “cheapen” Lewis’ legacy, Lewis vigorously supports the initiative and has for at least 40 years.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

NC is a good measure, but I am not sure it's the only one, but yeah without NC his map is incredibly difficult and it's hard to believe he'd be able to win NV/CO if he's lost NC.

I'm not sure whether or not the networks will call it, but I'm willing to personally be certain if she wins NC.

I'm really, really glad that my vote is contributing to that happening. :)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mind_Taker posted:

Vermont is weird and New Hampshire had an event happen there known as the "Free State Project".

Basically: Libertarians decided they wanted to try and game some low population state's political rules and send 20k people in to basically take it over and make it into some Libertopia.

It failed hard, but ended up with enough people moving to get some demo shifts if I remember.

It's still "on going" and they have 20k people signed up to move, with like 2500 already moved there to "Set up".

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
CNN decided to respond to the "post the map" challenge, I guess:

All of those look incredibly unlikely, but whatevs

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Welp, Trump telling his crowd that he'll stop America being Islamized like France and Germany; his friend who used to go to Paris every year ('oh the city of light, oh paree, paree, he used to say') doesn't go now because "it's not Paris anymore". Also that he has tremendous support from 'the women' because he'll keep them secure and stop generations of Islamic terror (terrorist children, I guess?) infiltrating their schools.

Then he went on a derail about how great his support is with minorities, put on a mocking voice to address the media pool and said "The Protected One isn't being protected." I think we might get off-the-leash Trump for the last few days of the campaign.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

The map I almost posted last Friday when people started freaking out about Comey is looking more and more possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

The map I almost posted last Friday when people started freaking out about Comey is looking more and more possible.

• Locked thread