Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

Man you are definitely gung-ho about getting started but maybe you should probably sleep for 12 or so hours?

Sleep is for the weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Id also like to point out that while Im sure it was posted here and I missed it, i thought the dump truck was a "dump" truck stake bed. For anyone else who missed it, it's a hydraulic actuated actual loving dump bed with intact components and is the current side quest to restore functionality because MOTHER loving DUMP TRUCK YO

Secondary side quest is seeeing if van cluster wiring can be adapted onto combination gauge from truck to give actual engine readouts of current operating conditions via OEM gauges.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Id also like to point out that while Im sure it was posted here and I missed it, i thought the dump truck was a "dump" truck stake bed. For anyone else who missed it, it's a hydraulic actuated actual loving dump bed with intact components and is the current side quest to restore functionality because MOTHER loving DUMP TRUCK YO

Secondary side quest is seeeing if van cluster wiring can be adapted onto combination gauge from truck to give actual engine readouts of current operating conditions via OEM gauges.

How about you get it running first and deal with the scope creep later?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

daslog posted:

How about you get it running first and deal with the scope creep later?

scope creep is 14's middle name

Edit: I wish I still lived in Seattle. I would be Frank to 14's Charlie.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Sleep is for the weak.

Actually in nature you will find that predators sleep a lot, while prey animals stay awake and alert a lot. Sleep is for the strong. It is the weak and vulnerable that cannot afford it.

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
Can the vans dash be placed on the 'dash', or duck taped nearby. Passenger readout, center mount, hood mount? Not even messing with the existing dash for time and convenience.

This journey is an outstanding adventure to read!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Sleep is for the weak.

The weak and the well adjusted

Leperflesh posted:

Actually in nature you will find that predators sleep a lot, while prey animals stay awake and alert a lot. Sleep is for the strong. It is the weak and vulnerable that cannot afford it.

Tell that to sharks, if they stop moving, they die

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well. I'm on a bus headed to Denver.

14" has total control of the project now. :getin:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Since he's not sure if the 350 TBI is staying in there, I would strongly suggest not loving with the stock gauges or wiring (less to undo later) for now... hell I'd just ziptie the van's cluster somewhere in the interior and run it via the same wiring it used on the truck originally.

The dump bed working would be pretty awesome though, maybe gin up some ramps and stick the turdwagon jeep in the back as an emergency escape pod/parts runner? :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

We need to see a bullet point list of things that require completion, what parts are needed and what's on hand.

I know at least ten of us want to play armchair mission control here so we need data :v:

Dave, what else do you require?

Is there a local hotshot type courier in the area?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The good thing here is that the new motor doesn't have a carburetor. :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Okay so I'm not closely following this thread but.... it's a fuel injected 350 going into the dump truck? That's correct?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

350 L05 TBI out of a 1993 G20

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Flip the bed cylinder around so it can lift the wheels off the ground so you can fix the brakes.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Elephanthead posted:

Flip the bed cylinder around so it can lift the wheels off the ground so you can fix the brakes.

Allow me to draw you attention to the title of (and picture behind) the horrible mechanical failures thread.

Don't do this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
14" is gonna have this poo poo running in like two weeks.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I elect 14" as AI:SecretSanta metallic gnarly shard gift gatherer.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Slick posted:

Can the vans dash be placed on the 'dash', or duck taped nearby. Passenger readout, center mount, hood mount? Not even messing with the existing dash for time and convenience.

This sounds far more likely.

Not only are the sending units on the tree'fiddy likely not really compatible with the existing gauges... the existing stuff is also 6 volt. Even if the 6 volt stuff was converted at some point in the past, that thing has been sitting in a field for longer than a lot of us have been alive. I mean... I don't want to practice welding with a car battery. Can't really turn it off if it sticks.

Throw some magnetic trailer lights on the back somewhere visible, adapt some kind of brake light switch, find some 12V headlights that fit the original headlight buckets (or barring that, some "fog/driving lights" from the Wal-Mart in the next state), and run some new wires to them - yank the headlight switch (and chop off the pigtail from the harness) from the van for this, the headlight switch should have a built-in circuit breaker, those things ran an unfused battery feed through them to the lights without any relays. Use hand signals for turning if a cop is around, turn signals were a dealer option when that thing was built anyway.

Speedo won't be working anyway, unless he figures out a way to run the cable to the cluster. Not like it'd be capable of getting any speeding tickets, unless he finds a school zone on a steep hill. Tickets for impeding traffic might be another story... :haw:

kastein posted:

I would strongly suggest not loving with the stock gauges or wiring

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Challenged acc:supaburn:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 3, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am pretty sure you can throw a slow moving triangle on that farm vehicles are exempt from everything in gods country including registration.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Short update, I took op and his very very good friend to the sketchiest bus depo I could find which was 120 miles away. The joys of living out in the middle of nowhere. 14 was eyeing that fastback really hard yesterday morning. Maybe, air-cooled dump truck in the future? I'm joking. Came back to the house, 14 refuses to sleep indoors electing to use his jeep for shelter. Went to bed last night hoping I don't find the body of 14 stiff from rigor mortis due to exposure or crushed under an engine block or worse, trapped by an engine block and then finished off by roving coyotes. Wake up to go to work and see new graffiti is on the side of the van. He's probably okay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So what does 14 have to do to wrest the VW out of your possession?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

djdanno13 posted:

Wake up to go to work and see new graffiti is on the side of the van. He's probably okay.

Physically

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Rhyno posted:

So what does 14 have to do to wrest the VW out of your possession?

Hmmm... well I do have a 27 t I would like to get put together....

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also what are the chances of him finding work locally?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Dudes should chill with the whole 'lets manage Dave's new like in Nebraska' thing and just let him fix the truck.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What is 14 if not the scrawny manifestation of Automotive Insanity's id?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Astonishing Wang posted:

Dudes should chill

:dukedog:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Man this episode of Warboy pimps your ride is the best yet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Speedo won't be working anyway, unless he figures out a way to run the cable to the cluster. Not like it'd be capable of getting any speeding tickets, unless he finds a school zone on a steep hill. Tickets for impeding traffic might be another story... :haw:

kastein posted:

I would strongly suggest not loving with the stock gauges or wiring

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Challenged acc :supaburn:

Speedo should work fine, it's the original trans to the truck so just leave the speedo cable going from it to the stock speedo and it'll work (as long as none of those parts are hosed.)

That wasn't a challenge. It was me suggesting not dicking around with poo poo for little to no reason when it will only reduce the amount of original, unmolested things ES has to work with when building his project the way he eventually wants to. I dunno if he gave more specific directions, if he did, pay attention to those not me since it's his truck, but I'd be kinda pissed off if someone took it upon themselves to dick around with wiring that didn't need to be messed with to make the truck drive to Florida and makes life harder trying to restomod it how I wanted to in the future. Just sayin'.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I mean, if he gets it wirkinf, more power to him, but it's gonna be 10x easier just to zip tie the gauges from the van to the dash and sun the singular plug up there.

I don't think you'd be able to get most of them working anyhow since like the temp gauge uses a sensing bulb instead of an sensor.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Slung Blade posted:

We need to see a bullet point list of things that require completion, what parts are needed and what's on hand.

I know at least ten of us want to play armchair mission control here so we need data :v:

Preferably written in Sharpie on a piece of cardboard, a 2x4, or the hood of one of the vehicles in question. Hell, the van's white, take the hood off and use it as a to-do list. It might even be big enough to fit the whole list.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I mean... I don't want to practice welding with a car battery. Can't really turn it off if it sticks.

Sure you can, just use jumper cables as your leads and kick the poo poo out of the battery end of the cable when it sticks. I've got two pairs of footwear rated to withstand 14kV, I'm sure soggy tennis shoes will stop twelve volts. :v:

quote:

adapt some kind of brake light switch
Ooh, lookit you gettin' FANCY. Just have a wire for each light that the passenger can touch to the battery terminal. Bam, brake lights and blinkers SOLVED (hey, it worked for Roadkill).

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

djdanno13 posted:

Short update, I took op and his very very good friend to the sketchiest bus depo I could find which was 120 miles away. The joys of living out in the middle of nowhere. 14 was eyeing that fastback really hard yesterday morning. Maybe, air-cooled dump truck in the future? I'm joking. Came back to the house, 14 refuses to sleep indoors electing to use his jeep for shelter. Went to bed last night hoping I don't find the body of 14 stiff from rigor mortis due to exposure or crushed under an engine block or worse, trapped by an engine block and then finished off by roving coyotes. Wake up to go to work and see new graffiti is on the side of the van. He's probably okay.

You should at least let him into the house, feed him some meals and give him a drink and have a bit of conversation and then let him go back out into the field

I picture 14" at the moment kind of like the little stray cat that keeps coming round my house. Sometimes it smells a bit funny and has got oil on its face from being under cars and it has a slightly weird miaow. But I always give it some food and a drink and we talk and chill for a bit and then both go our own ways for a while because we both like our own space. I let it stay in longer when its cold or wet and sometimes it sleeps on the sofa.

kastein posted:

Speedo should work fine, it's the original trans to the truck so just leave the speedo cable going from it to the stock speedo and it'll work (as long as none of those parts are hosed.)

That wasn't a challenge. It was me suggesting not dicking around with poo poo for little to no reason when it will only reduce the amount of original, unmolested things ES has to work with when building his project the way he eventually wants to. I dunno if he gave more specific directions, if he did, pay attention to those not me since it's his truck, but I'd be kinda pissed off if someone took it upon themselves to dick around with wiring that didn't need to be messed with to make the truck drive to Florida and makes life harder trying to restomod it how I wanted to in the future. Just sayin'.

Yeah - 14" - just cable tie all the electrics and the van dash roadkill style. Not just for speed and ease but because it looks cool and then if Sims wants to restore it later its easy just to cut the cable ties and fix the original stuff.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

djdanno is going to have a tame Firestone mechanic chained up in the back yard. Some say he almost killed a 4.0 Jeep. Others have mentioned his proclivity to summon dark powers. All we know is that he's called 14.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seminal Flu posted:

djdanno is going to have a tame Firestone mechanic chained up in the back yard. Some say he almost killed a 4.0 Jeep. Others have mentioned his proclivity to summon dark powers. All we know is that he's called 14.

"Tamed" might be a bit optimistic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyL2AO-Xo3k

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cross posting this here...Maybe truck chat should be in this thread from here on?

14 INCH posted:

loving lol just booty bumped a sparrow with jeep windshield at speed but just soft enough impact it didnt even lose flight and took off gaining altitude

14 INCH posted:

working now official verdict no firewall clearancing needed once trans in place

please ask trukk thread about bellhousing to frame mount angle on new looks to not line up w crossmember

I've asked for a picture, will post when I get it. I thought Sims said the engine mounts and crosmember were good, so not sure?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, that was another potential issue we were facing, the new BH doesn't exactly line up with the way the old one was mounted.

I'm guessing he can't drill holes in the angular sides, so he may have to get something fabbed up by the machinist there

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
You mean it's clocked differently, or...?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

If I weren't in a bus right now I'd draw up a picture, the original BH had some rubber mounts it sat in that bolted to the side of it.

The new one ddf oes not. It does have some holes drilled in it that are at an angle, which appeared to line up with the crossmember, but may be off due to repositioning now

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
This deal here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE