Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Famethrowa posted:

Disco hypeeeee. He looked so good on NiP earlier this year.

Dude is like the Swedish Stewie. Young, hungry, slightly nuts playstyle. This is gonna be good.

I secretly hoped they'd dump pyth (or Friburger, lol who am I kidding) and keep disco doplan.

NIP will kick themselves in the face when he starts winning majors with fnatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Making fnatic great again!

Vote olof on Nov 8th.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

I secretly hoped they'd dump pyth (or Friburger, lol who am I kidding) and keep disco doplan.

NIP will kick themselves in the face when he starts winning majors with fnatic.

NiP is another team that needs fresh blood so bad. Maikelelele is a good player, but I don't think they'll keep him :<

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Pyths as good as gone and Friberg should have been cut a year ago.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I just realized that Fnatic has three players I've really liked before the organization signed them (dennis, twist, doplan).

...Does this mean I'm a Fnatic fan now?

:smithicide:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How do I learn how to actually play counter strike aside from aim and shoot the other mans.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

drunken officeparty posted:

How do I learn how to actually play counter strike aside from aim and shoot the other mans.

If you don't know by now it's already too late.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
if anyone for some crazy reason wants to watch our final league match and me choke under pressure, I think you can connect to our gotv from oslo10.spillvert.no:27106 in 5 minutes

stump collector
May 28, 2007
good luck friend

i hope you get a lot of krieg kills

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Join the sub.io server and get yelled at for improperly positioning yourself, looking at floors, reloading unnecessarily, shooting wildly, and a variety of other things. Repeat until you're slightly better.

P.S. fix ur rates

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Bohemian Nights posted:

if anyone for some crazy reason wants to watch our final league match and me choke under pressure, I think you can connect to our gotv from oslo10.spillvert.no:27106 in 5 minutes

You got like a twitch link or something more accessible?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

By playing the game.

Sorry if that seems unhelpful but I don't know how else to put it!

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Dongicus posted:

By playing the game.

As fun as it is to read about how to get better at stuff, there's no way to get better without just doing the goddamn poo poo.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Maybe check out some of Warowls videos, they're alright for a beginner. I personally find him to be annoying but you may feel different.

Counter-strike owns dude, i hope you stick with it and have fun.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mvXfnY8wU I like this dudes videos. Generally succint and just covering what you actually need to know.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Soulex posted:

You got like a twitch link or something more accessible?

Sorry, just enabled GOTV because the other team had some people that wanted to spec, i don't really know how we'd go about setting it up on twitch, but I have zero knowledge about streaming etc

It's over now anyway, won 2-0 which gives us a near perfect season except for one game that ended up 1-1 against the only other undefeated team in our group- which is a step down from last season where we didn't drop a single map

End result for our team this quarter season was 7 wins and 1 draw, so now we're in the playoffs against the bottom tier of the division above us

Just two more perfect seasons until we'll be on national tv!!!! (it'll never happen)

stump collector posted:

good luck friend

i hope you get a lot of krieg kills

I got a lot of krieg kills :cool:

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 4, 2016

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Dongicus posted:

By playing the game.

Faffel posted:

As fun as it is to read about how to get better at stuff, there's no way to get better without just doing the goddamn poo poo.

Personally I think this is bad advice. Reason being is if you don't understand why you loving bad at something you probably won't get any better. Yes playing and getting punished for it is the classic way people like to say get better. I personally like to have some sort of mentor to actually help. That being said, you can pick one skill at a time to work on. Cross hair placement (everyones sucks), USING YOUR GOD drat HEADPHONES, Angles to hold, nade usage, set executions. Better yet post your demos here so someone can tell you why your bad so you can work on it.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Just two more perfect seasons until we'll be on national tv!!!! (it'll never happen)

I believe in you!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Dongicus posted:

By playing the game.

Tbh I think that's actually not very good advice for a new player. There are a lot of unintuitive quirks of counterstrike that need to be throughly explained that make a huge difference.

My friend, for example, didn't realize that you could reset your accuracy by counterstrafing, so he would be very frustrated at how he never seemed to hit his shots first when rounding a corner. Once I showed him a Steel video explaining counterstrafing, his skill level jumped significantly.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
maybe the answer is somewhere in between...

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

As a bad player who is streaky enough to not get steamrolled every time (just mostly) in sub.io and I'll give you some pointers I learned both by playing and by tips. I forget the specific user name for the forums but he is super cool and friendly. I don't remember what it is now cause people change names all the time.

#1 what is your sensitivity. If it is above 1.0 it is probably way too high. I personally play something like .67. I saw an improvement the very first game even if I was losing fire fights. The fire fights I won were because
#2 Aim for the loving head. Seriously do this. Take your time and go for the head. Don't panic and go murder boner. Aim for the head. The reward for me is the body flopping around like a goddamn fish. Also the anger people get when they don't
#3 be aware of your surroundings. That means knowing the map. That means playing it. I used to run maps backwards offline to get used to being able to back up and shoot. It sounds stupid but think about how many times you backed up into something because you couldn't move past it and died? Of course you might not have to retreat if you. Map knowledge helps you set up for attacks and counter attacks too.
#3 listen. Sound is so so so important in this game. Literally the difference between life and death. Buy headphones if you don't have any. To listen that means
#4 you have to be quiet too. Walk if you don't neeeeed to get there in a hurry.
#5 communicate with your team
#6 have fun?
#7 buy skins
#8 kids get rekt

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Soulex posted:

#1 what is your sensitivity. If it is above 1.0 it is probably way too high. I personally play something like .67. I saw an improvement the very first game even if I was losing fire fights. The fire fights I won were because

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Necc0 posted:

[*]Your mouse sensitivity is almost definitely too high
    If you're playing with a competent team and you know the map the great majority of enemies should be appearing inside your field of view if not very close or already under your crosshair. Because of this you gain much more by having a low sensitivity, improving your aim in these scenarios, than having a high sensitivity which allows you to respond to being flanked. If this advice seems wrong to you because you're being flanked often enough that keeping a higher sensitivity makes sense, your primary concern should be improving your situational awareness and tactics as that will have a way larger impact on your overall skill. Some goons, including myself, argue that lowering your sensitivity FORCES you to keep your crosshair up and use proper positioning, as you can no longer use insane twitch shooting as a crutch to prop up lazy playing.

Generally you want it to take over ten inches to turn 360 degrees. Yes you read that correctly. Yes your sensitivity is WAY too high.

Also be sure to select 'Use Raw Input' in the options. Most operating systems have mouse acceleration turned on by default which will screw with your aim. Having a 1-1 interpretation of your movements is significantly better.

Use this tool to find out what your 360/sensitivity is: http://www.notalent.org/sensitivity/sensitivity.htm

This is what good crosshair placement looks like:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j45QQadF6fE
    Basically any time you start to feel like you're getting good just come back to this to remind yourself that you're actually a literal baby mashing a keyboard.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. You're gonna be moving super slow. I'd recommend moving to .8 or .9 and constantly remind yourself to click the head. Seriously say it out loud so that you don't break back into your bad habits.

Be prepared to die.

A lot

You will be so much better than you used to be in less than a month of casual play.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I feel like I'm having my gherkin jerked here because if I put it on 0.8 I would literally have to go as far horizontally as my desk would allow like 6-7 times just to turn around 180 degrees.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Your sens times your mouse dpi should be between 400 and 1200. Mine is at 750 to 800

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I feel like I'm having my gherkin jerked here because if I put it on 0.8 I would literally have to go as far horizontally as my desk would allow like 6-7 times just to turn around 180 degrees.

I am serious. Everyone here is serious.

Do this. Go look at the mouse sensitivity average per team in ESL or a major. Every single one will be less than 1.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

1.75@500

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Most people will say you should look for 20-30" of mouse movement per full 360 turn.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. It helps with crosshair placement. Which is a big one actually I guess I kinda lumped it in with aim for the head.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Soulex posted:

I am serious. Everyone here is serious.

Do this. Go look at the mouse sensitivity average per team in ESL or a major. Every single one will be less than 1.

This guy is wrong most pros don't use below 1 at 400

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

:kimchi:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

In general when you're starting to get a feel for where people can be on the map the low sensitivity makes a lot more sense. For example if you play dust 2 like most new players do and you are on the terrorist side and you have a good spawn to go long when you get to the point where you are exiting the doors your crosshair should already be on the corner. If your spawn is good you will be able to see the corner before they have a chance to cross to pit or anywhere else so of course that's where it is. Most people will pause at this point to see if someone goes past to get to the pit or to peek, some people will just start shooting and hope the guy doesn't stop before he realizes he's about to get prefired.. When a dude appears assuming someone went long (at low ranks they might not) its much easier to adjust your aim with a low sensitivity because they will only move a short distance relative to when you start shooting. If your sensitivity is at what you regularly game at its much easier to flick well wide of the target and that makes sense in other games where you regularly have to do a 180.

Broadly speaking the more you play the more you end up engaging like that and if someone gets behind you or is it to the extreme right or left of you when they spot you you're already dead because you should have anticipated where they could be and cleared the angle by looking there or using a molotov or smoke to foreclose the possibility.

I don't play at like .8. Its at like 1.5 or something like that but the mouse feel like im moving it through sludge if I haven't played cs in a while.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 4, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

And now he plays for Fnatic. I hope his folks are proud of him.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

having low sensitivity is just something you should do in every single shooter let alone the one with very slow, methodical movement. finer control is just better in 99% of cases

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I feel like people aren't processing this cause it does sound like too much. Aim for ~800 sens x dpi value and tweak it from there.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Elman posted:

I feel like people aren't processing this cause it does sound like too much. Aim for ~800 sens x dpi value and tweak it from there.

I just looked at my mouse settings and I have it at 800 DPI. Times 10 ingame sensitivity is 8000.

It's seriously comical to me imagining you guys swiping your mouse like mad men over and over to slowly turn around. Not having a comfortably fast sensitivity is so fundamentally wrong I just don't get it

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Look I don't know what the gently caress my mouse is or whatever but I play on .8 or .7. Something like that. This 1 in 500 stuff is Greek to me.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
You're as comical to us trying to adjust your aim mm at a time. You get used to it pretty quick.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I just looked at my mouse settings and I have it at 800 DPI. Times 10 ingame sensitivity is 8000.

It's seriously comical to me imagining you guys swiping your mouse like mad men over and over to slowly turn around. Not having a comfortably fast sensitivity is so fundamentally wrong I just don't get it

http://i.imgur.com/MpKj1dH.gifv

I used to have high sens back in CoD, but in CS you just need pinpoint accuracy and everything else doesn't matter that much.

Right now I can only rotate about 100º from one side of my mousepad to the other, so I have to swipe to do a 180. That's kinda awkward (I do have a small pad), but the thing is it's not usually a problem. You're supposed to position yourself properly and know where your enemies are coming from, if you get caught from behind that means you hosed up and should die. It's more important to be able to land a headshot on an enemy on your screen than to spin around looking for someone that sneaked up on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Ghost Dog posted:

having low sensitivity is just something you should do in every single shooter let alone the one with very slow, methodical movement. finer control is just better in 99% of cases

I can't properly 360 with low sens though and I thought that was the most important thing in CS